• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mobile Suit Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans S2TEKKADAN is MURDERERS, HAIL GHALLARJORN

There was a lot I liked about this show.

The cast was pretty solid.

Mikazuki was a pretty good protagonist. He definitely fit into the stoic "Heero Yuy / Setsuna" archetype of Gundam protagonist, but they did so in a way that he didn't suck like those two did. He was a pretty interesting dude, even if he wasn't quite right in the head.

Atra: I expected to hate her. I usually don't care for her type of character. But she ended up being pretty cool. Actually, I think she may have been my favorite character.

Orga: Probably the most boring character to be honest, especially in season 2. Never really understood why Tekkadan followed him so passionately. He never really did anything. He was certainly no Bright.

McGillis: I thought he was going to be the main villain around episode 3 AND HE WAS!!!. I thought he was going to betray Tekkadan, but that never happened. The twist is that the main characters allied with him. Dope. As a character himself, he was interesting. A man who was deluded by believing in fairy tales. Great stuff. I don't think I've seen anything quite like how they pulled it off in this series. Some good stuff. Loved it.

Gaelio: Thought he was boring AF in season 1. Thought he was awesome AF in season 2. The true hero of the story.

Iok: lol.

The story: Crime doesn't pay. The show's execution was kind of all over the place, but over all pretty decent. Definitely subverted my expectations. It was a Gundam that utitilized Gundam tropes but did so in a way that wasn't derivative and actually brought something new to the table. I also think it did a pretty good job of being anti-war without being hypocritical and showing how awesome it's mecha are. Namely it did this by going out of its way to show every main character death be pretty unglamorous. Nearly every character did in some unspectacular way (including Mikazuki, who was basically sniped from space). Very neat. The show also had the balls to go several episodes without mecha battles, which got a lot of complaints from people who were missing the point. Nice touch and I appreciated it though. The show wasn't perfect for sure (the Dorn arc was weak) but yeah. Season 2 was better. I do think that it could have benefited from 1 more episode. Show Tekkadan get into outer space. It needed just a little bit more.

This was a show that was told from the villain's perspective. Are Tekkadan themselves bad? No, though they were certainly living the "wrong" lifestyle. Their story is a tragedy in a lot of ways. Sometimes you're on the wrong side of history. But that doesn't make you evil. Just dead.

The mecha: Eh... not my favorite in the franchise. Never really got on board with them. But that's fine, because the show's characters and story more than made up for it.

Overall: I'm usually not a big fan of AUs, but I rather liked this show quite a bit. Probably one of my favorites.

8/10

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I always really hate when shows have a "no kill" rule or "don't do that or we won't be any better than them" thing, since it can be really restrictive and just frustrating at times, so it was really refreshing to see Mikazuki not give a single fuck.

RRockman

Banned
What really grinds my gears is that Rustal got to laugh all the way to the bank in the end. He made a clean getaway and his public perception is higher than ever. I knew most of the cast was going to bite it but I wanted Rustal to get killed at the very least. But he just "happened" to be merciful and spared tekkandan(he definitely knew who kudelia's bodyguards were) and ended the human derbis law. Those are good things, Fantastic even! but coming from him makes me feel sick.

I guess the rich and powerful win again...

What really grinds my gears is that Rustal got to laugh all the way to the bank in the end. He made a clean getaway and his public perception is higher than ever. I knew most of the cast was going to bite it but I wanted Rustal to get killed at the very least. But he just "happened" to be merciful and spared tekkandan(he definitely knew who kudelia's bodyguards were) and ended the human derbis law. Those are good things, Fantastic even! but coming from him makes me feel sick.

I guess the rich and powerful win again...

I adored that. I adored that so much.

casiopao

Who was it that was it that was inciting the colony rebellion by providing them with weapons so that they could wipe them all out at once back in season 1. I don't remember.

Nobliss himself as he wanted to gain all the half metal muney. He had some help with Montag Co and G-Horn.

Shun

Gjallarhorn. The heroes of this tale who put down the Tekkadan terrorists.

duckroll did not think they are terrorists at all then suddenly had a complete character shift part way in.

I think it was funny because this was alternate universe Gundam and I don't think anyone believe anything I said until closer to the midway-end point of the season. Then somehow, at the same time there is a big shift in opinion, and they realize I wasn't joking.

I'm not sure if I should do the same thing I do for Orphans for future Gundam properties if I'm on the project. I think I made too many criticisms of the troubles the production staff and team had throughout the broadcasting, that I do not think it is appropriate to make those comments until once broadcasting ends.

I enjoy reading fan reactions and comparing how different they were compared to thoughts of us who worked on Orphans.

The working conditions that the G-Reco team had throughout it's broadcast was worse than the Orphans and Build Fighters team. Tomino had a really ambitious project and had a good view of what kind of world he wanted to make, it is a shame that throughout his history working he was fighting against from back in 80s to present.

I hope with the UC projects this coming years, that Tomino gets a final chance to bring everything in his head come to life before he retires.

finally finished watching this series, I love it, I'm curious though, how's the reception of the ending in general? I read in other board that said Japan audience hated the ending, is that true?

finally finished watching this series, I love it, I'm curious though, how's the reception of the ending in general? I read in other board that said Japan audience hated the ending, is that true?

I think the Japan outrage was from the Japanese interview recently
Uh, apparently the last Okada's interview sparked some pretty heated reactions in the JP fanbase (and non)?

Based on the translation I've seen:
-Every other potential ending had every member of Tekkedan + Kudelia dying because Nagai felt none of them deserved to live and needed to pay for their actions. Okada fought for the ending we got, which was the most positive, with the last five episodes being rewritten as a result.
-Okada admitted to never having any confidence in the writing for the second season
-Gaelio got special treatment because Okada liked his voice and she wanted him as MC because of it

I think more details are supposed to come next month.

but likely the international or general outrage is likely those that got attached to Tekkadan or had fandoms for them literally got the middle finger with no typical Anime over the top elite my way or the high way, grand showcase of prodigies, talk no jutsu final set piece they likely expected

lol

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'm not sure why the show kept on having Rustal brute force all his problems by using globally agreed banned weapons then have him lead a democracy like everything is hunky dory. Think about it those things are the litteral equivalent of chemical weapons in that universe. Do you honest think a world leader would be able to repeatedly gas it's enemies including civilians in lok's case have no country bat an eyelid and maintain public support.

The dudes a bonefide war criminal that should by all acounts be tried at a war crimes tribunal.

I'm not sure why the show kept on having Rustal brute force all his problems by using globally agreed banned weapons then have him lead a democracy like everything is hunky dory. Think about it those things are the litteral equivalent of chemical weapons in that universe. Do you honest think a world leader would be able to repeatedly gas it's enemies including civilians in lok's case have no country bat an eyelid and maintain public support.

The dudes a bonefide war criminal that should by all acounts be tried at a war crimes tribunal.

he ran the media

the dude literally owned everything

who was going to report it?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Also I think they're more "restricted" than banned.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Also I think they're more "restricted" than banned.

Pretty sure it's banned as it's never shown in use by any continents and simply having a danslief is grounds imprisonment. That's why they had to have someone from tekkadan use it first before dropping all pretenses.

Ghallajorn themselves were certainly not allowed to use it which says it all.

gatti-man

Whoever fought for the positive ending gets it. If everyone attached to Tekkedan had died including Kudelia it would have been the weirdest, most ridiculous ending ever. This ending actually felt real.

Shun

Pardon my ignorance, what projects are those? Have they been announced yet?

Other than the announced Thunderbolt, Origins, and Twilight Axis projects, there will be big UC projects for the remainder of 2017 and 2018 with a Tomino project as well that is yet to be officially announced.

VK1217 TZ3UC.

FW18XB.

RIGGKJB.

There are more hints at past and upcoming Bandai sponsored events. That's all I will say on the matter.

Apharmd

duckroll did not think they are terrorists at all then suddenly had a complete character shift part way in.

I think it was funny because this was alternate universe Gundam and I don't think anyone believe anything I said until closer to the midway-end point of the season. Then somehow, at the same time there is a big shift in opinion, and they realize I wasn't joking.

I'm not sure if I should do the same thing I do for Orphans for future Gundam properties if I'm on the project. I think I made too many criticisms of the troubles the production staff and team had throughout the broadcasting, that I do not think it is appropriate to make those comments until once broadcasting ends.

The working conditions that the G-Reco team had throughout it's broadcast was worse than the Orphans and Build Fighters team. Tomino had a really ambitious project and

I enjoy reading fan reactions and comparing how different they were compared to thoughts of us who worked on Orphans. had a good view of what kind of world he wanted to make, it is a shame that throughout his history working he was fighting against from back in 80s to present.

I hope with the UC projects this coming years, that Tomino gets a final chance to bring everything in his head come to life before he retires.

Jesus Shun. Thank you for the insights. I never knew about G-Reco's troubles, it's even more impressive that they churned out a work of that caliber under pressures worse than IBO.

Apharmd

Other than the announced Thunderbolt, Origins, and Twilight Axis projects, there will be big UC projects for the remainder of 2017 and 2018 with a Tomino project as well that is yet to be officially announced.

VK1217 TZ3UC.

FW18XB.

RIGGKJB.

There are more hints at past and upcoming Bandai sponsored events. That's all I will say on the matter.

I can't tell if you're pulling our leg, but fall 18 will have Crossbone?

Reconguista in G gekijouban project?

VK1217 TZ3UC.

FW18XB.

RIGGKJB.

Thank you.

VK1217 TZ3UC.

FW18XB.

RIGGKJB.

Frozen Teardrop anime when?

Or will they just cover it in Glory of Losers and make kits then?

I figure you may not know but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Shun

Frozen Teardrop anime when?

Or will they just cover it in Glory of Losers and make kits then?

I figure you may not know but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Premium Bandai, animation is different department and only overlaps when it coincides with new products. Most Gundam ACE publications are there because of the demographics there, and the huge overtaking it requires to do animation work. Gundam SEED Astray is a good example, for how long it's been in serialization and how many products it has spawned despite never getting animated. It doesn't keep them from being considered, however. Adaptions versus expanding new works.

The company has a ton of prototypes done for the most obscure suits, including the G Gundam upgrade suits, at a variety of scales. It depends if it ever leaves out of the original, contracted, prototype stage and into CG and injection. It's actually amazing how many Wing kits there are under the G-Unit line from 20 years back.

We certainly have the ability to reprint most of their products from now until the 90s and 80s. As well as revisit ideas that never manifested because of the time period. It's just whether or not it's worth it in sales both as a wide release or Premium Bandai that prevent reprints, moving out of prototyping phase, and revisiting older ideas and building on them.

casiopao

VK1217 TZ3UC.

FW18XB.

RIGGKJB.

TZ3UC is another UC project i see. That Zeta spin-off on Titan and their experiment unit?

FW18XB better be Crossbone there Shun.O_O

RIGGKJB is G-Reco movie.

Not sure what VK1217. A new alternate timeline?

So, there is zero plan on continuning IBO timeline huh.T_T Sad day.

Shinoyama day arts were perfect

https://twitter.com/uenakan/status/851071696098344960
C8-cwrZVoAAci0t.jpg:small

https://twitter.com/nkgm72ki/status/850554197363703808
C83Gh4iVoAAvoBY.jpg:small

Blader

VK1217 TZ3UC.

FW18XB.

RIGGKJB.

Man I'm really out of it. I didn't hear about Thunderbolt season 2 until a couple days ago and didn't hear of Twilight Axis until literally just now.

I had heard of that Tomino G-Reco movie but really couldn't care about anything related to that series.

Gotta say, I usually like the "Char" of each series of varying degrees but IBO's was maybe my personal favorite behind the man Char himself.

McGillis was just... such a monster, but at the same time once you got a bit of his backstory about being, basically the same as the boys from Tekkadan, just guided down a different path I really felt for the guy and wanted him to win sooooo bad.

The backstory from the first season was simply a clearly poor boy, adopted into one of the most powerful families in the world. Cinderella story. You knew he was unhappy, you know that he knew he did not really belong there but at some point became actual friends with Galieo and Carta. You never really got why he was so into the past history about earning the top spot of Gjallarhorn like the founding member and his personal hero until the second season. His story of abuse from one of the most powerful people in the world and seeing corruption everywhere he looked really nailed down why he was so damned determined to change the world. It was sad that he seemingly never really told anyone about it, most likely knowing nothing was going to happen if he did.

It's also why I liked the ending of Rustal winning. Rustal's whole point was that having an open rebellion like this showed how weak the regime of Gjallarhorn was, and also how strong it is. They controlled the message from the moment it started. It's also why I like the stance of "sorry, its nothing personal" he took with Tekkadan. Even when Julietta felt bad for Tekkadan and said so to Rustal in the "They were just used by shady adults daily" and his response was "yeah it is sad, but don't forget I'm one of those shady adults too." It really made it hard to hate Rustal personally because he was, like everyone else, doing what he had to.

Everyone was trying to play the game, the person who won simply had the best cards and used them. I feel like a lot of Rustal got misinterpreted by people who don't like him because he was the one who was in command.

Rustal was a very realistic leader maybe a bit too real lol. He did some bad shit but so did everyone. No one will know, or really care at the end of the day as long as the world is held together. He made changes to the world in the epilogue that were for the better and in all benefited the survivors just like any real politician :/

Such a good ending I could talk about it for a while lol. Glad they did not go with the "main characters live happily ever after"

Astral

Damn so all of Tekkadan AND Kudelia were gonna die at first? Fucking cold blooded lol. I would've been upset if none of them died. All the important ones died though and that's more than good enough. It's perfect. I don't think any more of them needed to die.

I never even considered they were married, I just assumed Kudelia was a family friend who helped out. Even when she said family I assumed it was the same as what she considered Tekkadan to be. I guess Akatsuki calling Kudelia by her 1st name threw me off but I guess it's not that strange considering who his father was.

Shouta

None of those pictures say anything about Atra and Kudelia though. It just shows the question about Yanagi and Shino in Japanese.

Yep, none of the pictures mention Atra or Kudelia. That said, the implication was that Kudelia lived on the farm too and was parenting Akatsuki as well. Take that as you will.

Click on the arrow to the right side to scroll to see the Kudelia and Atra thing.

The anime was quite progressive in how they treated polyamourous relationships. Although we only really saw harems consisting of women, it still depicted what the future of marriage is probably going to be.

Progressive is the last word I'd use to describe Naze and his relationships with women.

Yes it's a harem but the implications of that and the Atra and Kudelia thing is that any person of consensual age can enter into a consensual legal agreement between one or more other people that is similar to marriage.

Shouta

Click on the arrow to the right side to scroll to see the Kudelia and Atra thing.

The anime was quite progressive in how they treated polyamourous relationships. Although we only really saw harems consisting of women, it still depicted what the future of marriage is probably going to be.

It doesn't say anything in Japanese about Kudelia or Atra.

I get the sense that maybe Nagai and Okada really butted heads on how the series would end. Nagai felt that the majority of the cast should have died, and Okada wanted a more light bittersweet ending. To be honest, I'm really happy Okada won out in the end personally.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
That being said, the implication in the finale was that Atra and Kuelia did indeed hook up somewhere in the time skip.

Top Bottom