• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury |OT| This witch rides a Gundam (Up: Season 2 now airing!)

A.S. (Ad Stella) 122―

An era when a multitude of corporations have entered space and built a huge economic system.
A lone girl from the remote planet Mercury transfers to the Asticassia School of Technology, run by the Beneritt Group which dominates the mobile suit industry.

Her name is Suletta Mercury.
With a scarlet light burning in her pure heart, this girl walks step by step through a new world.

1662285150937773.jpg

Websites
https://en.gundam.info/about-gundam/series-pages/witch/
https://g-witch.net/
https://twitter.com/g_witch_m

Staff
Director: Hiroshi Kobayashi
Series Composition/Screenwriter: Ichiro Okouchi
Assistant Direction: Ryo Ando
Original Character Design: Mogumo
Character Design: Marie Tagashira, Shuri Toida, Hirotoshi Takaya
Mechanical Design: JNTHED, Kanetake Ebikawa, Ko Inaba, Ippei Gyobu, Kenji Teraoka, Takayuki Yanase
Chief Mecha Animation: Shinya Kusumegi, Kanta Suzuki, Kiyoaki Maeda
Setting Research: Seiichi Shirato
Setting Cooperation: HISADAKE
Science Fiction Research: Yuya Takashima
Mechanical Coordination: Ryoji Kansai
Prop Design: E wo Kaku PETER, Esuthio
Concept Art: Lin Junbun
Technical Direction: Yohei Miyahara
Art Design: Tomoaki Okada, Kenichi Morioka, Kazushige Kanehira, Junichiro Tamamori, Yasuyoshi Uetsu
Art Direction: Ayumi Sato
Color Design: Kazuko Kikuchi
3DCG Direction: Shinichi Miyakaze
Monitor Graphics Design: Kaori Seki
Photography: Shota Kodera
Editing: Kengo Shigemura
Sound Direction: Jin Aketagawa
Music: Takashi Ohmama

Cast
Suletta Mercury: Kana Ichinose
Miorine Rembran: Lynn
Guel Jeturk: Yohei Azakami
Elan Ceres: Natsuki Hanae
Shaddiq Zenelli: Makoto Furukawa
Nika Nanaura: Yume Miyamoto
Chuatury Panlunch: Miyu Tomita
Delling Rembran: Naoya Uchida

Music
Opening theme: "Shukufuku" ("The Blessing") by YOASOBI
Ending theme: "Kimi yo Kedakaku Are" by Shiyui

Crunchyroll will stream the series worldwide beginning October 2 (2:30am PT every Sunday)
https://www.crunchyroll.com/mobile-suit-gundam-the-witch-from-mercury

The series will be split cour (1st part Fall 2022, 2nd part Spring 2023)

------------------

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury - PROLOGUE is currently avaliable on Youtube and Crunchyroll (on crunchy it might be listed as episode 0 under the main series).
It is mandatory to watch this before the main series.

At Fólkvangr, a front constructed inside an asteroid, the Gundam Lfrith is undergoing operating tests in the Vanadis Institute's laboratory.
The Lfrith has not yet managed to meet the conditions imposed by the council, and test pilot Elnora Samaya is growing impatient.
That same day, her daughter is celebrating her fourth birthday...

Official translation of the short story that takes place between PROLOGUE and the main series (this story is from Gundam Aerial's POV):
https://en.gundam.info/about-gundam/series-pages/witch/music/novel/

------------------

English dub of PROLOGUE is now out on Crunchyroll. Main series dub will begin February 5.

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch From Mercury English Dub Cast:
Suletta voiced by Jill Harris (Nino in The Quintessential Quintuplets)
Miorine voiced by Natalie Van Sistine (Yor in SPY x FAMILY)
Prospera voiced by Elizabeth Maxwell (Zephia in Fire Emblem Engage)
Guel voiced by Bradley Gareth (Jyubei in BLUELOCK)
Elan voiced by Aaron Dismuke (Senku in Dr. STONE)
Chuatury voiced by Brittany Karbowski (Camie in My Hero Academia)
Nika voiced by Bryn Apprill (Kobeni in Chainsaw Man)
Shaddiq voiced by Alejandro Saab (Cheng in Link Click)
Delling voiced by Gabe Kunda (Desha in Ranking of Kings)
Vim voiced by Christopher R. Sabat (Vegeta in Dragon Ball Super)
Nuno voiced by Eric Vale (Sanji in One Piece)
Lauda voiced by Nazeeh Tarsha (Kamioka in Horimiya)
Lilique voiced by Sara Ragsdale (Maria in Tomodachi Game)
Petra voiced by Kimberly Grace (Hachi in My Roommate is a Cat)
Felsi voiced by Alexis Tipton (Anna in takt op. Destiny)
Rouji voiced by Kristin Payne
Secilla voiced by Cassie Ewulu (Akira in Kemono Jihen)
Sarius voiced by Mike Smith (Cucuruz Doan in Mobile Suit Gundam: Cucuruz Doan's Island)
Rajan voiced by Ian Sinclair (Einar in VINLAND SAGA)
Haro voiced by Jerry Jewell (Kyo in Fruits Basket)

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch From Mercury English Dub Crew
ADR Director: Jason Lord
Assistant ADR Director: Aaron Roberts
ADR Engineer: Noah Whitehead
Assistant ADR Engineer: Coco Caesar
Script Supervisors: Bonny Clinkenbeard, Jarrod Greene
ADR Scriptwriter: Alex Mai
ADR Prep: Olivia Harris

AS.122...
An era when a multitude of corporations have entered space and built a huge economic system.
After transferring to the Asticassia School of Technology from the planet Mercury, Suletta Mercury has experienced a school life filled with encounters and excitement, as both Miorine Rembran's bridegroom and a member of GUNDAM-ARM, Inc.

It has been two weeks since the incident at Plant Quetta.
Suletta passes her days at the school, anticipating her reunion with Miorine. Miorine, meanwhile, has stationed herself at the head office of the Benerit Group, monitoring her father's condition.
The two are about to face new hardships and pressing decisions.
Each with her own feelings in her heart, the girls will confront the mighty curse the Gundam brings.

Fol6OJpakAAt2aP

FsA3N-8acAAKnb6

Music
Opening theme: "slash" by yama
Ending theme: "Red:birthmark" by Aina the End

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Not really a fan of the opening, but a good opening does not make an anime.

Prologue episode was solid, but where starting it appears in anouther timeline. While I know the UC is overused it might have been nice to revisit the universe of 00, Seed or hell even Wing.

Looking forward to this regardless, even if I am getting major Harry Potter vibes from the Protagonist going to to a special school with 4 houses while being called a "Witch" in the title.

Wonder if there will be a sorting hat.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Not really a fan of the opening, but a good opening does not make an anime.

Prologue episode was solid, but where starting it appears in anouther timeline. While I know the UC is overused it might have been nice to revisit the universe of 00, Seed or hell even Wing.

Looking forward to this regardless, even if I am getting major Harry Potter vibes from the Protagonist going to to a special school with 4 houses while being called a "Witch" in the title.

Wonder if there will be a sorting hat.
Wait 'Wing' isn't in the normal continuity? That's the only Gundam I've seen thus far, but I plan on watching more.

killatopak

Gold Member
Wait 'Wing' isn't in the normal continuity? That's the only Gundam I've seen thus far, but I plan on watching more.
There is no normal continuity. Every timeline is separate from each other and is equally valid.

It just happens that most of the shows are on the UC timeline since it was the first one and they only made separate timelines later on.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
There is no normal continuity. Every timeline is separate from each other and is equally valid.

It just happens that most of the shows are on the UC timeline since it was the first one and they only made separate timelines later on.

Technically Turn A tried to join then all up at the point of its release.... but yeah works much better as seperate timelines.

In terms of Anime the only two within Wings timeline is Wing and Endless Waltz, few extra manga releases which expand on it but it was one of the least popular series in the East. It gets alot of points in the west for being the series most people saw as a kid first, but in terms of Gundam itself its ranked pretty low, just above AGE and Seed Destiny.

The "Main" timeline is the Universal Century UC which the original Gundam was part of so you have in total...

The Origin
Gundam (original series or movie trilogy)
Thunderbolt (currently two movies)
MS Igloo
War in the Pocket
08th MS Team
Stardust Memory
Zeta (or its movie trilogy, but they suck outside of the animation)
Double Z (ZZ)
Char's Counter Attack
Unicorn
Narrative
Hathaway
F-91
Victory

Then arguably

Reconguista in G
Turn A

But they feel forced as hell to be there

Some are 50 episode series, some are smaller higher quality OVA's of around 6-9 but longer episodes, and then some are movies like the two Thunderbolt's and Hathaway.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Correct. The most elaborate timeline in the series is known as Universal Century, abbreviated as U.C. If you want the core basics of the UC Timeline in chronological order its:

U.C. 0068-0079: Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin
U.C. 0079: Mobile Suit Gundam
U.C. 0079: 08th MS Team
U.C. 0080: War in the Pocket
U.C. 0083: Stardust Memory
U.C. 0087: Zeta Gundam
U.C. 0088: Double Zeta Gundam
U.C. 0093: Char's Counterattack

Gundam Origin or the original 1979 Gundam are both good places to start depending on your preference for older/newer animation. They're all pretty good shows except Double Zeta which is a kid's show & Char's Counterattack which is a movie.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Correct. The most elaborate timeline in the series is known as Universal Century, abbreviated as U.C. If you want the core basics of the UC Timeline in chronological order its:

Gundam Origin or the original 1979 Gundam are both good places to start depending on your preference for older/newer animation. They're all pretty good shows except Double Zeta which is a kid's show & Char's Counterattack which is a movie.

People tend to focus on the first half of ZZ and not the latter half where shit actually happens but outside of the additional colony drop nothing of any real consequence for the timeline occurs...

However there is a "REAL" Gundam kids show...

Which does not get enough credit, sadly the following seasons sucked but at least they produce some interesting HG kits for Gunpla. Apparently the creator states that the Build fighters Universe is where all the pilots souls go when they die...

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
People tend to focus on the first half of ZZ and not the latter half where shit actually happens but outside of the additional colony drop nothing of any real consequence for the timeline occurs...
I did that once upon a time then I finally watched it to judge it for myself. Back then people were just telling me to skip ZZ. I even made a thread about it. A shame I never got to update it since it was around the time this forum imploded on itself.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/lttp-zz-gundam.1436385/

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I did that once upon a time then I finally watched it to judge it for myself. Back then people were just telling me to skip ZZ. I even made a thread about it. A shame I never got to update it since it was around the time this forum imploded on itself.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/lttp-zz-gundam.1436385/

In fairness to ZZ it might become more important as foundation for a potentially much better series if it ever gets an anime (which like Crossbone and Johnny Ridden I'm still just like... why?! Why not make something that guaranteed to be popular) but I digress.

9xnZMyQ.jpg

Moon Gundam needs to get an anime series... even if I would prefer Crossbones first.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters

You forgot the following.

U.C. 0096 Gundam Unicorn
U.C. 0097 Gundam NT
U.C. 0103 Hathaway

Then there is the Late UC stuff. Same setting but far enough in the future it feels disconnected.

U.C. Gundam F91
U.C. Victory Gundam

First episode was amazing.

And holy fuck we really going Kannazuki no Gundam lol (first is fanart, rest are episode screencaps)

1662260356717409.jpg

JCzTGs4.jpg

bWKL13L.jpg

EDIT: End card:

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
First episode was a tonal shift from the Episode 0, so cant predict what its going to be going forward.

One thing is I feel that the animation quality took a nose dive from episode 0 which is fair enough but when it does get its inevitable blu-ray release I hope to god they fix the god awful CGI, the first scene Gundam Aerial appears I swear you can see the pixels as he gets closer like that "do I look like I know what a JPEG is?" meme.

Overall withholding opinion for a few more episodes but it never hit the high's of episode 0 that's for sure. overall I give episode 1 a GAY/10

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I understand why they put out the Prologue....If it wasn't for that I would be trashing the hell out of this first ep
because (take away Mobile Suits and the Setting) if this wasn't the most generic collection of anime troupes ever (on face value)
Again the Prologue provides much needed context and this is Gundam and I'm expecting a hard shift and some great surprises
If I'm wrong this is gonna be a real D-tier stinker using Gundam as window dressing to reel people in (WAY too early to tell tho
hope it turns out to be great! I'll keep watching for now)

YukiOnna

Really enjoyed the Prologue and first episode. This is the recovery I needed after IBO and G-Reco absolutely failed me. Also, FUNNELS.

Tanuki protagonist cute!

Like ep1. I think the show is off to the good start.

Watching the prologue is pretty much mandatory, as it sets up the world setting and provides some good background info.

lachesis

So 1st episode was like Food Wars except with MS in that school? (lol)

I like the art styles and all. Gundam TV anime is a high-production value project, so my eyes were really in for a treat this time around - especially for a 1st episode, where they put a lot of effort w/o sparing the $$$ to impress the viewers... (I wasn't that impressed in prologue though)

I am awaiting for the lore (it showed a bit of that in prologue, but not enough to really settle in for me yet.)
Mumbling country bumpkin girl and high-pride city girl type trope isn't something that's all that new, but then again what's new in this world...
And how serious will they go with girl-on-girl bride/groom thing - but the relationship between the two would be the central part of the anime it seems.
I am not sure if they'd go full on lesbian relationship on a Japanese TV Anime - but then again I may be "rigid" like that girl said in the end. ;)
(I'm from the generation watching Bright Noa bitch slapping Amuro who wasn't even hit by his father according to his own words)...

Looking forward for the next episode. Perhaps it's going to explain more things about this universe, etc.
I know the whole "academy" part would be temporary before real serous arc comes in.. or will it be..?

YukiOnna

I am not sure if they'd go full on lesbian relationship on a Japanese TV Anime - but then again I may be "rigid" like that girl said in the end. ;)
(I'm from the generation watching Bright Noa bitch slapping Amuro who wasn't even hit by his father according to his own words)...
The writer, Ichiro Okouchi, is the one who wrote the Revolutionary Girls Utena novels (which Mercury contains a lot of visual references to,) worked on Devilman Crybaby and wrote Code Geass, so it going all the way wouldn't be too surprising. Also worked on Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team so...

Sakura

I liked the prologue, but didn't really like the first episode. The whole dueling thing seems incredibly dumb, I don't like the character designs, and I have no interest in yuri stuff, so I think I will drop it.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Music is good
Story seems to have potential
Environments are fantastic
Pretty dope mech designs

Not a big fan of the character design.

I'm onboard. Love me some Gundam

lachesis

The writer, Ichiro Okouchi, is the one who wrote the Revolutionary Girls Utena novels (which Mercury contains a lot of visual references to,) worked on Devilman Crybaby and wrote Code Geass, so it going all the way wouldn't be too surprising. Also worked on Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team so...

Oh, it's Okouchi's work? Hmm. I wasn't really looking into the staff (I normally just give any Gundams a go, then look into the staff afterwards)
I did enjoy Code Geass - but honestly it felt like some sort of guilty pleasure of watching morning novella or sort...
Well, he's liked by Tomino and all, so I'll give a shot I guess - but I can't say I'm fan of his works.

Ah, come on..... I'm fucking in based on this. Don't let me down!

Definitely got a bit of tonal whiplash going from the prologue to episode 1. Wasn't expecting the main character to be so timid and stuttery. My initial assumption was that she was going to end up cold and awkward like Setsuna from Gundam 00 but that probably would have been too cliché. Kind of refreshing in a way.

Based on the short story, it sounds like she spent much of her early development alone with her (sentient?) gundam friend/sibling which explains the mild communication disorder. Plenty of room for development from here on out.

Gundam Aerial's Bit abilities were very cool and Qan[T]-like which was great to see because the latter never saw much action.

Update regarding Gundam.info's streaming schedule.

The streaming of “Mobile Suit Gundam the Witch from Mercury” Episode 1 at GUNDAM.INFO official YouTube channel, which was on hold has been decided as following.

・Episode 1
10/9 17:30(JST)

・Episode 2
10/9 18:00(JST)

From 10/9 onwards, new episodes will be released every Sunday 18:00 (JST).

https://www.youtube.com/user/GundamInfo

OP

Also ending theme was revealed. "Kimiyo kedakakuare" by Shiyui

Episode 2 was more talking than action, but it was still very good. I have high hopes for this series so far.

EDIT: End card

Last edited:

Doom85

Watched the prologue and episode 1 Friday. Really solid so far.

Though watching episode 1, I was like, “wait, I’ve not seen Revolutionary Girl Utena but I know the general plot set up. This seems like it quite a bit.” And then I heard one of the writers wrote novels based off the Utena anime, so:

Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

Also it’s funny how if our lead had done nothing to stop the asshole, then the person who they‘re setting up as the main villain so far would already have been killed in an explosion. Of course, there’s tons of time for the story to take twists and turns so who knows who the final antagonist will truly be, but still funny to think about.

lachesis

There are quite a bit of characters who seem to be in somewhat of importance so far, but right now they are just seeing/observing from distance.
Looks like only one male character (self claimed misanthrope) has contacted the main girl.

One thing I noticed is the Spacenoids are ones in power and Earth folks are looked down upon - another upside down approach, which is interesting as well.
But right now everything is this whole power struggle within a Zaibatsu type of corporation group, how will it expand into full scale war that normally Gundams are about... is something of an interest - or will it?

Like having your own personal MS being almost normal thing for all these little young students, it feels a bit strange - of what kind of world that I'm supposed to expect on this series as far as realism is concerned. (Come to think of it, most Gundam series tell you the what's going on in the whole world before really diving into individual characters) It may not be as "real" like a lot of older folks expect. Not that it's a bad thing. As much as I love U.C, I don't think everything has to be like that either...

edit:

https://akiba-souken.com/article/58646/

Just read this article and it does seem like the difference that I noticed was indeed intentional - in order to appeal to younger, newer audience. Okamoto does admits that that the hurdle for new audience to adopt is getting higher, because young kids don't really want to watch Gundam as they can't relate.

Okamoto : There have been Gundams where schools have appeared before, but I think there were many works that were serious from the start, such as starting with a child soldier. This time, "Witch of Mercury" also had several turning points in thinking about the story. However, it was just around that time that I had the opportunity to hear from some teenagers who had come for a social studies field trip. Then I was told that "Gundam is not for us" and "I won't watch it if it has Gundam in the title"...

I mean, I know where he's coming from so am willing to open up and watch as he promises that there are stuff that even older fans like me to enjoy... hope he succeeds and deliver what he intends to do.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Dunno if there's a proper Gundam thread but man... Gundam I hasn't aged very well. I mean the animation I can look past obviously but everything else is just so lacklustre. Especially compared to stuff like Gunbuster and Neon Genesis Evangelion (or Gurren Lagann).

I've spent like 3 days already trying to get through the first film lol and now I'm at the final 30 mins which I've put on 1.5 speed. Should've done that from the start. :pie_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Okamoto : There have been Gundams where schools have appeared before, but I think there were many works that were serious from the start, such as starting with a child soldier. This time, "Witch of Mercury" also had several turning points in thinking about the story. However, it was just around that time that I had the opportunity to hear from some teenagers who had come for a social studies field trip. Then I was told that "Gundam is not for us" and "I won't watch it if it has Gundam in the title"...

Well that explains.....a lot....I'll give it a few more eps but I'm out

ComfortableWindingBobolink-size_restricted.gif

Episode 3 wasted no time in confirming that Lady Prospera is Suletta's mother, Elnora Samaya. Just with a hair dye and length extension.

Guel indeed upgraded to the Darilbalde.

Suletta still adorkable as ever. Miorine still best girl.

Another excellent episode. Though it seems we have a love triangle trying to form? We really are going into Kannazuki no Gundam lol.

Last edited:
Episode 4 explored a little more of the power dynamics between Spacians and Earthians. And turns out, it's the opposite of most Gundam series.

We get a bunch of focus on Chuchu, she's much more aggressive than I expected her to be lol.

Last edited:

lachesis

So far, the story feels more or less typical Shojo manga with Gundam.
Feel bad for Guel now, but basically Guel fell down to "weakest one of 4 of us" type of position.

I'm wondering how all of these people afford to have personal MS, and what's this school really for, or who are they training to fight against...?
I mean, the school is obviously some sort of military academy, but is there an opposing side? If this is about Earth / Space - then why Earthians are allowed to study here... etc?

zSbVqBz.jpg

I fully anticipate this though. Maybe on S2. :)

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I'm going to be honest... I'm getting bored of this one. Episode 0 was solid, and largely due to that I'm hanging in to see if it flips to becoming something else. But if it sticks to this stupid school and "duel of the week" format with whatever new pretty boy they decide to focus on I'm dropping it...

And this is from someone who finished Gundam AGE.

Last edited:
man, that "21 years ago" line is going stir up even more armchair theorycrafting lol. IMO she's referring to another incident that happened prior to the events of the prologue. I don't buy the theory that
Ericht is Aerial yet.

Elan is not a clone but just a body double who underwent lots of plastic surgery like Meer did in Destiny. I wonder if another Elan will show up at the school or will Peil Technologies get suspended now for using GUND format.

Overall, I'm enjoying this series. Next episode will be a recap but I do hope they reveal more information regarding the world building and politics..

lachesis

I think I would re-watch the prologue and see if I can fit in some stuff in.

But.. okay. Somehow the teenage kids can build gigantic booster unit using scrap metal... some seriously talented kids they are, especially it can catch up to the top-of-the-line Pharact's speed?
I wonder what happened to Elan at the end? Memory reset is most likely... like Z's Four Murasame.

Episode 6 had some wild implications, for sure.

I also went back and rewatched that animated MV for YOASOBI's song and now I'm second guessing everything.

Last edited:
Top Bottom