• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mobius: Final Fantasy's launch is a huge success, hits #5 top grossing iOS app in JP

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
While we don't know exactly how much it's making, based on financial reports with "amount earned per day" numbers, we know #4 tends to be ~$1+ million a day.

At minimum, we can say it's making a lot of money.

The only apps above it right now are Monster Strike, Puzzle & Dragons, LINE (chat/social network app), and Disney Tsum Tsum (it's a match 3 type puzzle game).

Of course, the real challenge becomes how it holds up over the coming months, determining whether it weaves in and out of the top of the chart like a successful app or tanks out of the top 100 and into obscurity, but the debut is majorly successful.

Since I know some people are curious whether or not this happens for every app, especially with a major brand, for comparison, Final Fantasy Legends peaked at #28.

1433702636-mobius-3.png

Source: https://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/a...d=2015-06-08&device=iphone&view=grossing&lm=1

I was gonna say this is good, seeing how traditional JRPG can do well on the store, but then I realized this is a F2P standard fare step by step.

At least it seems that people are interested in higher productions values.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Quoting myself from the other thread

Yeah, in the Grossing chart it's been in top 5 for the past few hours. I've seen that the game left the top place in terms of downloads, though. I'm eager to see next few days / weeks performance...and if its Android performance will improve. It has passed 100,000 downloads, but in 3 days and, honestly, it's currently very low in the Grossing chart (60th), but we should still wait a few more days / weeks, honestly.

EDIT: Surely, its launch is far more successful than what FF: Legends got, a lot.

Oregano

This is a really good start for Square Enix especially considering this is by far their biggest investment in a mobile game. It would have been pretty bad for them if it fell flat on their face.

EDIT: @mpl90: It's poor comparative performance on Android may be related to its high production values, no? Are the majority of phones even able to run it?(honestly have no idea, Terra Battle is the only Android game I play).

duckroll

Let's assume that the choice was between putting the FFXIII team on this or on another 2 year console project after Lightning Returns shipped. And let's assume that the console project performs about as well as LR did in Japan - which puts it at about 500k units sold, and S-E making maybe 50 bucks per copy. That would be 25 million dollars of revenue. How long would it take Mobius to surpass that? A month?

Jigorath

Banned
Man you guys get really freaked out anytime a mobile game is successful. Final Fantasy on consoles isn't going anywhere.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Let's assume that the choice was between putting the FFXIII team on this or on another 2 year console project after Lightning Returns shipped. And let's assume that the console project performs about as well as LR did in Japan - which puts it at about 500k units sold, and S-E making maybe 50 bucks per copy. That would be 25 million dollars of revenue. How long would it take Mobius to surpass that? A month?

If it holds, yeah. Higher margin too.

That said I suspect the team is working on multiple mobile games to boot, given the content present.

Damn, I actually own this game and was really excited for it until I remembered I legit know zero japanese... But I might try and work my through it
If Kingdom Hearts Chi is successful overseas I could see that happening.
Is that coming to America?

The success of a mobile card game is going to convince Square Enix to make their flagship console franchise a mobile exclusive?
Hyperbole, but the big time Japanese companies are all beefing up their mobile portfolios. 3 years ago I would have never believed SE would make a kinda game like this, and now they have this and Dragon Quest games on phones.

Jigorath

Banned
Hyperbole, but the big time Japanese companies are all beefing up their mobile portfolios. 3 years ago I would have never believed SE would make a kinda game like this, and now they have this and Dragon Quest games on phones.

I think it's a good thing they're diversifying. I'd rather have a Square Enix on mobile and consoles than no Square Enix at all. And hey, maybe some of the mobile games they put out will actually be good.

Daouzin

They are making a lot less than 50$ per copy unless retail works waaaay differently in Japan.

dream

The success of a mobile card game is going to convince Square Enix to make their flagship console franchise a mobile exclusive?

I actually really like the idea of this happening because it could be an opportunity to go back to basics, rather than continuing to make the bloated, bombastic games that the Final Fantasy series has become.

S-E making maybe 50 bucks per copy.

Are you not counting the cost of pressing discs/shipping/retailer's cut, or do games cost way more in Japan?

Do you know if that 500k number for Lightning Returns is Japan or WW?

Ecco the Dolphin is my favorite Final Fintasy game

Daouzin

Oregano

The writing is well and truly on the wall now that Nintendo is going to make mobile games.

I don't think it's any coincidence that the two big coups for 3DS in the last few years have been Puzzle and Dragons and (now) Monster Strike and the stuff we've heard about NX seems to be pointing at making it easy to host mobile stuff.

Consoles are pretty much dead for Japan.

Koozek

SE would make around 30 bucks per copy, not 50.

Oregano

Games do actually cost more in Japan though. I think SE's big games in particular can be very expensive.

Still not sure they'd make $50 per copy but Duckroll was discussing revenue and not profit.

Nibel

Really puts things into perspective. Can't argue with those results.

Just thinking of the potential revenue they'll get if they play their cards right... damn. This is where Japan is headed.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Really puts things into perspective. Can't argue with those results.

Just thinking of the potential revenue they'll get if they play their cards right... damn. This is where Japan is headed.

Well, yeah, the situation for home consoles in Japan is very problematic at best, in the current environment. Handhelds and mobile shine over there, and this is despite the big decrease in handheld market (despite 3DS hypotetically hitting 20 millions this year).

Koozek

I actually really like the idea of this happening because it could be an opportunity to go back to basics, rather than continuing to make the bloated, bombastic games that the Final Fantasy series has become.

But then they would also lose a lot of their appeal. Since FFVII the franchise was always about pushing the artistic and technical limits. I certainly wouldn't want the crazy ambitious mainline FFs to disappear as this is the only big franchise besides Zelda and maybe MGS that I still care about and am passionate about.

More basic JRPGs can be done as a spin-off series similar to the Bravely series or, well, Mobius here. But that isn't what makes me excited thinking about the next FF, waiting for any new tidbit and rumor before release, looking forward to any interview, etc...

Bombast and ambitiousness are deeply ingrained in the series' DNA.

Retail games on console are closer to 80 bucks per copy in Japan these days than 60 bucks per copy.

Jesus.

Oregano

But then they would also lose a lot of their appeal. Since FFVII the franchise was always about pushing the artistic and technical limits. I certainly wouldn't want the crazy ambitious mainline FFs to disappear as this is the only big franchise besides Zelda and maybe MGS that I still care about and am passionate about.

More basic JRPGs can be done as a spin-off series similar to the Bravely series or, well, Mobius here. But that isn't what makes me excited thinking about the next FF, waiting for any new tidbit and rumor before release, looking forward to any interview, etc...

Mobius, from what I've seen, is pretty much on the level of something like Lightning Returns and it's definitely ambitious as far as mobile games go.

Actually the most significant thing about its success is probably that it looks more like a console game and less like a flash game.

Falk

that puzzling face

But Mobius is pushing artistic and technical boundaries on mobile. That was the whole point of the project!

duckroll

How's the game compared to other mobiles like Terra Battle or Brave Frontier ?

Enemy and boss variety seems much lower because of the higher cost of assets. But in exchange graphics are full 3D with actual realtime cutscenes with animation and full voice.

Stimpack

Enemy and boss variety seems much lower because of the higher cost of assets. But in exchange graphics are full 3D with actual realtime cutscenes with animation and full voice.

I've always wondered how important voice acting really is in some games. I usually end up reading the dialogue and then skipping the voice acting, and I wonder how many do the same. I'd imagine that money would be better spent on actually writing better dialogue in the first place.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Final Fintasy is what Atlantica should have been called in Kingdom Hearts II.

wmlk

I've always wondered how important voice acting really is in some games. I usually end up reading the dialogue and then skipping the voice acting, and I wonder how many do the same. I'd imagine that money would be better spent on actually writing better dialogue in the first place.
And especially in mobile games, where audio is muted a lot of the time since people are on the go.

duckroll

In terms of how much voice acting really adds to the story in a mobile game, I'll say it's probably minimal. But since famous voice actors in Japan have quite a following, it's largely a marketing investment. Companies that can afford to will attach famous voices to characters to try and attract a larger fanbase.

Top Bottom