• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modders re-enable native Oculus Rift support in Aliens Isolation

Krejlooc

Banned
appropriate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uEEN9opRCQ

iW0Hruk.jpg

A few hours after VorpX teased a special build of their injection driver to add VR support to Aliens Isolation, modders on the Oculus Rift subreddit have found and reenabled the real, native Oculus Rift support from the demos Sega showed off at various conventions. Apparently it's as easy as modding a few ini files and launching the executable with some command line options:

1) in ENGINE_SETTINGS.XML (found in the DATA folder) change the stereo options to:

<Setting name="Stereo Mode">
<Quality name="Rift" precedence="4"/>
<Quality name="Off" precedence="4"/>
</Setting>

2) Set the Oculus to extended mode.

3) In the oculus configuration utility pause the service.

4) Start the game.

5) To play the game normally, reactivate the service by opening the display mode and set it to "direct to rift" and viola.

Tested it and it works... HOWEVER. Positional tracking is not yet working, Scratch that... the light does not come on but POSITIONAL TRACKING WORKS... you can lean around corners!! oh my god it is terrifying!

Credit to /u/popcorncrackle, /u/hagg87, and /u/Wookiee81

Pretty amazing to have this back in the game within a day of it releasing.

EDIT: I'll be live streaming the game tonight, at 8 CST, with some friends, using a rift, plus a webcam fixed to our faces for reactions. I'll be broadcast from here: http://www.twitch.tv/krejlooc

Skyzard

Banned
Yes!!

Please don't patch this out.

Fuck you if you do, this is the perfect unofficial support solution.

Now just to grow some bigger balls.

Krejlooc

Banned
Trying it out right now, I'm so stoked. It was cool with 3DOF tracking using VorpX, but native support should be much better.

Tagyhag

Modding never ceases to amaze me.

Yes!!

Please don't patch this out.

Fuck you if you do, this is the perfect unofficial support solution.

Now just to grow some bigger balls.

That would be one of the biggest dick moves ever if they did, I doubt that they'd be dumb enough to do that.

LQX

Hell, playing in semi-lit room is giving me jumps, cant imagine playing with an Oculus.

Krejlooc

Banned
It works! Some more info:

Edit 2: To recalibrate your orientation press LB or RB at the same time on xbox 360 controller.

Edit 3: It fades to black when you try to lean through walls, this seems very well implemented. Fully playable. But maybe too scary with the rift on. Runs very smooth on GTX 980 here. :)

belmonkey

How did some modders manage to get support back in the game when the team that made the game didn't have it working?

How did some modders manage to get support back in the game when the team that made the game didn't have it working?

Because it probably still doesn't work well. There was probably a reason it was disabled in the first place...my guess is that it's not nearly good enough for consumers

More than likely, it's already coded into the game but not fully tested, so they disabled it. The modders just managed to enable it again.

stufte

This is one of the best rift experiences ive ever had between the dk1 and dk2. It's a bit wonky in spots, but wow. I was floored.

UnrealEck

It's not really a mod. It's just turning it back on in a config file. It was simply disabled by the devs.
Someone from the team could have just posted something on steam saying 'here's how you re-enable Occulus support.' But we all know many devs won't like people seeing unfinished things in their games.

Yes! My DK2 is just about to ship, so I'm gonna be all over this...I think. The problem is that I can barely advance in the game already because it's so tense and scary. Might just start from scratch and stay in the Torrens after all. ;)

FyreWulff

It's not really a mod. It's just turning it back on in a config file. It was simply disabled by the devs.
Someone from the team could have just posted something on steam saying 'here's how you re-enable Occulus support.' But we all know many devs won't like people seeing unfinished things in their games.

Big companies will never say that. For all sorts of reasons. Leaving the option in but not not pointing at it is usually the best option for all involved.

Krejlooc

Banned
I'm uploading some quick cell phone footage, this is amazing. It works really well, much better than VorpX. The menus are all presented as floating windows, as are the videos. The ability to lean is awesome. The coolest shit, which I don't think is possible to do without a VR headset or maybe Kinect, is to move your head around when speaking to someone. They move their heads and eyes to follow you. Normally, on a conventional screen, if you walk around, they pivot to face you. But with a VR headset, you can do subtle movements and watch them look around to keep you in their vision.

Incidentally, NPCs come off looking like freaky androids in VR. And not the kind from later in the game.

EDIT: First one is uploaded, forgive the extreme guerrilla style footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0cnr9WWd18

the fade to black is because I'm going out of camera range due to me holding this in my hands instead of on my head. Forgive the lack of action, I was controlling movement with my big toe lol. Nothing scary in the videos, BTW, it's the very beginning.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Stuff like this is why I love PC gaming. Even though I don't have an OR, it's awesome that modders were able to enable it so quickly.

zeioIIDX

Just tried it with my DK1, this is incredible. I didn't feel sick or dizzy not once. I am still just at the start of the game so no alien yet but the sense of presence was strong when I stood in a doorway and looked up at the ceiling and into the crevice of the doorway to the left and right. Also when I went into a ventilation duct, I could have sworn I could reach out and grab the light fixtures that were dangling inches away from my face. It's nice that the character's legs are modeled so if you look down, you actually see "your" feet and legs.

I only wish the resolution of the DK1 was much higher so I didn't have to squint to see into the distance or read certain things. Also, I noticed that any fog or steam seemed to have some sort of shimmery effect where it faded in and out of my view. It was kinda odd. I just want to walk around the ship and look at everything, it's so engrossing. Running it in "dupilicate these displays", it still seemed to perform at 60 FPS to me. Could be wrong on that though. Other than that, I don't think I can honestly play this game in VR because I'd have a heart attack, I'm just gonna say that right now.

UnrealEck

How good are the DK2's screens? Clear? Crystal clear? How much of your vision is filled? Fully right to the reaches of your peripheral? I'm guessing if you move your eye as far as you can in a direction you'll see the edges of the screen. Is this the case? What resolution is the game running in? Is it mandatory to run at that resolution?

Eusis

Think it was only ever shown off in a couple areas. Probably didn't want to fully test the entire game with it.
I also suspect they may have wanted to wait until the consumer model, it'd be good for Oculus to have it enabled and properly tuned for the consumer model at launch.

Krejlooc

Banned
How good are the DK2's screens? Clear? Crystal clear? How much of your vision is filled? Fully right to the reaches of your peripheral? I'm guessing if you move your eye as far as you can in a direction you'll see the edges of the screen. Is this the case? What resolution is the game running in? Is it mandatory to run at that resolution?

They're OLED screens, the best samsung currently produced. Pentile structure, not RGB matrix, so instead of screen door, it's more of a beehive. The pentile structure means a different subpixel scatter so you never get uninterrupted bands of pixels running top to bottom, eliminating the possibility of jail bars.

They're driven at 75 hz, so they refresh faster than a normal monitor. They are low persistence so they don't blur when pixels change fast. They are 1080p, but it's one screen for both eyes so the horizontal resolution is cut in half per eye (960x1080). Additionally, you don't see the extents of the screen, so it's more like 900 x 900 per eye. You can see the edges.

It's clear enough to read text, which DK1 wasn't possible. It still looks low resolution compared to an HDTV, but you can play games with it now without it being a hindrance.

If you're looking to pick one up and you're not a developer, don't. You'll be annoyed at a bunch of developer shit. This isn't meant for consumers.

Krejlooc

Banned
How does aiming and movement work, separate from the camera?

Just like any normal FPS game with the rift besides Half Life 2 VR. It uses a normal gamepad, not positionally tracked limbs. You can walk forward and look to either side and keep walking in the forward direction, though. The game expects a defined "forward" position, preferably facing the camera. You can reset the orientation by pressing LB and RB at the same time.

UnrealEck

If you're looking to pick one up and you're not a developer, don't. You'll be annoyed at a bunch of developer shit. This isn't meant for consumers.

Thanks for all the info. I think the customs fees would be more annoying to me than the tinkering.
I'd buy one if I had the money but until then, it's something I'll just look forward to seeing the finished product for.

Evo X

This might make me pick this game up. My DK2 hasn't gotten any use since my ROG Swift came in, mostly due to the fact that the Oculus drivers cause compatibility issues with G-Sync.

Anyone know if that's fixed now?

Krejlooc

Banned
I think this is a real concern for devs making horror games on OR.

It is, without sarcasm, and the fear of heart attack is a big reason why I'm not going to let my father try this out. Not even joking.

You can get someone's heart racing in VR extremely easily.

Top Bottom