• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modders turned Developers first announcement - Hytale

Posted for Threeshotgamer Threeshotgamer

What started as two people creating maps for minecraft has evolved into the announcement of their first title Hytale. With Riot Games as an Investor this new studio has officially launched the first trailer and from what can be seen it looks to be a whole new take on combining the openness of a sandbox with the detail oriented depth of an RPG.

Game Page: https://hytale.com/game
Announcement Trailer:

Last edited:
I think it looks really good and maybe the first real competitor to Minecraft since Cube World went.... wherever the fuck Cube World went. Hytale is a terrible name though.

I think it looks really good and maybe the first real competitor to Minecraft since Cube World went.... wherever the fuck Cube World went. Hytale is a terrible name though.
I too found the name odd but the trailer and just general features being talked about on their page sound pretty promising. And I can respect someone taking 4 years to build a game from a mod into a competitor of the game they started modding to begin with.

Helios

Never been a fan of the Minecraft artstyle but the game seems interesting. I'm also surprised to see Riot investing into something other than League.

Shifty

Huh, how about that.

It looks like what you'd get if you decided to rebuild minecraft from the ground up with current software without having to worry about legacy code or compatibility. Very nice.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That actually looks like a lot of fun. It's good to see games try to inject some charm to the formula (in every aspect, from visuals to combat systems to whatever), like Dragon Quest Builders and now this.

Last edited:

Dargor

That actually looks interesting. I own minecraft, but never can play for long, the lack of a tangible objective loses me quickly.

Holammer

Dualshockers wrote a piece about the success of this trailer that gave me pause. The trailer's got 31.4M views since Dec 13'th and as DS wrote:
"To put that into perspective, the Red Dead Redemption 2 announcement trailer only has 17 million views in over 2 years."

Done right it'll be a repeat of the Minecraft craze, so we might be looking at the Next Big Thing™ here and god willing, the Fortnite slayer.
Expect Sony/MS fight for exclusive rights and who knows how it'll be distributed on PC.

Shifty

The trailer's got 31.4M views since Dec 13'th and as DS wrote:
"To put that into perspective, the Red Dead Redemption 2 announcement trailer only has 17 million views in over 2 years."
Those are some pretty big numbers. I'd attribute part of that to having a less age-restricted audience than RDR2, but those timeframes are something else.

and god willing, the Fortnite slayer.
I wouldn't kick this idea out of bed.

Last edited:

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I really had to read the thread title multiple times before my brain got the message.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I just don't see what this game offers over the already existing MC clones. Good luck to them I guess.

TheContact

Riot is really taking off. With how successful Valorant is going to be, and how they have handled past mistakes, I can see them becoming the new Blizzard in a short amount of time.

I just don't see what this game offers over the already existing MC clones. Good luck to them I guess.
It looks like a more RPG focused MC which is exciting to a lot of people. I also think it helps that the Hypixel MC server is among one of the most popular for it's content.

Top Bottom