• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Model" embryos created from skin cells (Without sperm or eggs)

Aarbron

I haven't seen a thread on this. Tried to find the least clickbait article on it. Surprised it has not gained more traction in the global press

Fascinating both from a scientific (and potential medical benefits) and the ethical issues.

Scientists have created a model of human embryos from skin cells, in what is being hailed as a breakthrough in the study of infertility but has also raised serious ethical questions.
An international team, led by researchers from Monash University in Melbourne, was able to reprogram skin cells into three-dimensional structures akin to the early stages of human embryos.

Lead researcher Jose Polo said the development would help research that previously required an embryo derived from an egg and sperm.

(Mods, please edit to "without sperm or eggs")

Last edited:

Aarbron

Your parents are a corporation.

It's evolution, baby.

5h0WfcO.jpg

SirTerry-T

Yep, as interesting both from a scientific and ethical standpoint as this news is, I think it's a case of "STOP SCIENCE! YOU'RE MOVING TOO QUICKLY!".

BigBooper

So demolition man is true. We won't be fucking much longer until I unfreeze.
What a nightmare future. I sometimes think these researchers are trying to eliminate humanity. Eliminate every "purpose" possible. Of course, I'm sure this kind of thing is useful in medicine, but I have an inherent fear about anything that eliminates the need for normality.

Top Bottom