• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

modern games are shit. They dont have replay value

Interfectum

Matrix, splinter cell, mtg, spiderman, star wars, need for speed.
Are you listing 2010-2016 or "2019 aka modern" games here?

Britney Spears Thinking GIF by MOODMAN

Seriously, don't let few good games, distract you from the shit games we have been getting.

So what if a game has good graphic? That doesnt excuse its shit gameplay.

Old games had replay value. Current games doesnt have that. And the only reason you replay them, is those shitty achievement, lazy devs implemented to their system.

I remember playing old battle field games nonstop, because it was fun. I lost track of time playing it.

I cant do the same for the current games. I am lucky if I can last 2-3 hour playing time.
AAA games are intentionally designed that way. They're supposed to be disposable entertainment. Buy it, play it, and then get excited for the next AAA game that you're supposed to buy. Repeat the cycle.

And as others have pointed out in the thread, you can still find games with replayability. Just don't expect them to come from the big names anymore.

Last edited:

manfestival

Never been one to replay a game over and over. The only games that I can replay over and over are roguelikes. Simply because the different experience and overpowered builds are the incentive. Kinda makes me think of pvp matches. No match is the same is that is what keeps you coming back for more.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I think it's a bit of an argument fallacy to say you must personally play any game before you can ascess or judge if it's something you would enjoy. With the amount of playthrough footage on the internet (twitch, youtube) you no longer have to buy a game to get a good feel and understanding of it. Whereas a long time ago, as AVGN often indicates, when you rented a bad game for the week, THAT was it. That was your week 🤣

Btw I'm not talking about reviewing a game. I do think that requires you to play a game. If you get paid to review games you SHOULD play them.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I honestly forgot about them. I cant remember them.
Spent my time with spiderman and god of war. ff7, jedi fallen.

Okay, that's a start, that's all I wanted. While all those games are great even I wouldn't replay them personally because they're quite "once you've beaten it, you've beaten it" games - because they're all very lengthy and only came out a few years ago, I can't imagine wanting to replay a 20 hour game the year after it came out. Maybe back in the day when all we could afford was one game at a time but there's so many to choose from. Maybe try something more run-based like Hades, Into the Breach, Slay the Spire. Or much shorter games like any modern Resident Evil that's designed to be replayed quickly.

Anyway, I'm out, good luck.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Okay, that's a start, that's all I wanted. While all those games are great even I wouldn't replay them personally because they're quite "once you've beaten it, you've beaten it" games - because they're all very lengthy and only came out a few years ago, I can't imagine wanting to replay a 20 hour game the year after it came out. Maybe back in the day when all we could afford was one game at a time but there's so many to choose from. Maybe try something more run-based like Hades, Into the Breach, Slay the Spire. Or much shorter games like any modern Resident Evil that's designed to be replayed quickly.

Anyway, I'm out, good luck.
I have hades, we have the next 2 days off holiday.

I am gonna play that shit. I wanted to try it, sadly, never opened since I bought it. I have it on my system. Maybe I will start it tonight.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
the old games.
Man I thought you were talking about actual old games, like I dunno, Quake or Super Mario Bros 3.

Those games you posted aren't that much different from what we got today. Yeah they might not be the Ubisoft shitfest of infinite padding in an open world, but they are still games with narrative and not 100% focused on gameplay, which imo is a must for replayable games.

RafterXL

As someone who is an actual grumpy old man, this site makes me feel like a kid. The way y'all complain about how much better gaming used to be, how horrible it currently is, you sound like 80 year olds or something.

There's a lot a bad things about gaming, but there are a lot of good things too. The same as it's always been. The last 2 gens as good as gaming has ever been IMO and I've been gaming since Pong.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
As someone who is an actual grumpy old man, this site makes me feel like a kid. The way y'all complain about how much better gaming used to be, how horrible it currently is, you sound like 80 year olds or something.

There's a lot a bad things about gaming, but there are a lot of good things too. The same as it's always been. The last 2 gens as good as gaming has ever been IMO and I've been gaming since Pong.
Funny thing is I would bet OP isn't even 20 years old, based on what he considers old.

Last edited:

Hugare

I love replaying games, and I was ready to blow you to pieces, but ... I kinda get your point

Using Battlefield as an example was pretty shit regardless

Anyway, campaigns nowadays are bloated in order to justify a singleplayer game in 2021.

I'm replaying Spider-Man, and yesterday I played that part where his stuff is thrown in the trash, and you have to look for the right garbage truck ... Yawn.

During last gen (PS3/360) we had more 8-10h campaigns. Now we have 20h campaign with lots of padding.

Uncharted 4 and TLOU 2 pacing was terrible. GoW is amazing but also gigantic. FF 7 Remake has LOTS of filler.

Most games, even during my initial playthrough, I think "oh man, replaying this game during thisn part will suck ass"

Cyberpunk campaign was lean at 8h, have replayed it multiple times.

The 8-10h campaigns need to come back (not at $70 tho)

GametimeUK

It depends how you approach the term "replayable". Are you intrinsically motivated or extrinsically motivated?

If you're intrinsically motivated then it's as simple as just enjoying the game enough to replay it.

If you're extrinsically motivated you could be in it for the unlocks.

Of course you can enjoy both. I find a load of recent games replayable and I'll list a few.

DMC5
Resident Evil Remakes 2 & 3
Doom 2016 and Eternal
Souls games
We have a genre (rogue like) which is based around replaying the game
Nier Automata
Hitman Trilogy
Uncharted Lost Legacy

Thats to name a few. However, there are plenty of games out there with NG+ options now too. I don't agree current games aren't replayable.

Last edited:
how is destiny 2? I tried once, got annoyed from those useless beginner mission. Left the game.
My most played for me is ESO and never winter.

I will try it again.. hope this time it doesnt piss me off.
Wait until February when the new expansion launches. Starting now would be like....starting LOST in the middle of season 3.

Spaceman292

Banned
Seriously, don't let few good games, distract you from the shit games we have been getting.

So what if a game has good graphic? That doesnt excuse its shit gameplay.

Old games had replay value. Current games doesnt have that. And the only reason you replay them, is those shitty achievement, lazy devs implemented to their system.

I remember playing old battle field games nonstop, because it was fun. I lost track of time playing it.

I cant do the same for the current games. I am lucky if I can last 2-3 hour playing time.

Edit: Here is m issues with modern games.
cash grab games. Mtx, chore shit task, open world with no soul in it, copying a game and not putting what that game made it good in the first place.
Perhaps, you, should, give, up, on. Video games for a while, and, read a book.

Thus must be an early April's Fools thread/post right?

Sea of Thieves has a ton of stuff to do, achievements to get, commendations, cosmetics, 6 or so different factions to grind and keeps getting more.

Go replay Last of Us 2 in grounded on hard-core and stop sucking pee pee.

Dark Souls/Bloodborne/Sekiro/ 1-3 New Game+ goes up to like 7 or 8 times
With new rings and items to get.

Go grind Battle Pass in Halo Infinite or Fortnite and get cool cosmetics.

Warframe has a ton of replay value if you are into those types of games

Monster Hunter World go craft every single piece of armor and deck yourself out and earn both the smallest and largest crowns for each monster.

Play Reaident Evil 8 Village and max out your upgrades, get all treasures, guns, and complete the hardest difficulty and then go max star the merceries mode.

Jesus christ, games are replayable more than ever. Learn how to hunt achievements/trophies set goals and stop QQuing.

Last edited:

SteadyEvo

I’m 35 and what is a boomer?
OP you’re probably just old cause I feel the same way. Played countless hours of BF4 on PS4 and XB. Back then the 128 player wars felt fresh. Uninstalled 2048 within minutes after being sniped several times. Takes a special game to hold my interest and with age my sessions are much shorter. Liking the new Halo but the marathon sessions from HS are a thing of the past. Forza is cool in short burst.

My advice is to play better games. Any annual or biannual release is a pass for me. Stick to the classics like Nintendo. Their quality is unmatched IMO.

I struggle with this concept.

On one hand I hate the padding of current games. I don't go back and see Final Fantasy 4, or 6 being "padded". They had relevant and fun side content.
More modern games, like Xenoblade Chornicles; I thought was excellent, but had tons of side padding and I have had minimal desire to replay that.

On the other hand, my life cannot fit "replaying" most games. I do go back play the occasional nostalgic game. Right now I'm replaying Final Fantasy 7 for the first time. I doubt I will have it finished in the next two years.

I'm used to games having "persistence" now and interactivity with my friends, and going back to play games that don't have "persistence" feels like I'm wasting my time, which I dislike as a feeling, because persistence doesn't necessarily add value [Overwatch skins, for example].

I do think games overall have a worse story today, then they did previously. However older games, like FF7, can have terrible dialogue and feel like they're just hashed together. We compare that to the newer game, which has the modern game issue of aimless padding, and doesn't feel replayable. You're then presented with $20 DLC, that doesn't go on sale, and you feel like you've been had.

I try to avoid a lot of these feelings now by being more selective with the games that I do purchase, and questioning whether they are presenting me with a new experience that might be more interesting to me. I like to not purchase sequels now. I didn't buy Red Dead 2 despite loving RDR1. I do not see how RDR2 would enhance my enjoyment of RDR1, for example.

I was browsing PS Store last night and saw some sort of random game about being like a god figure fighting off alien spaceships but destroying buildings around it. It looked like a VR title and probably is, but I thought to myself that is something I haven't experienced before, and might be interesting. Is it going to be some sort of 10/10 game; no, probably not, but I can't imagine not getting bored of playing the same types of games over and over.

Agreed.
How about instead of padding out a 20 hour game into a 60 hour game, you make an amazing 20 hour games that has a ton of replay value that you'll want to play at least 3 times making total playing time 60+ hours anyway?

Nah screw that, just pad pad pad! We need more padding! Fill up that map right now!

Ah there we go, beautiful. Gamers are gonna love all of that paddi, uh, I mean, legitimate great content!:
CSX8jx1W0AEMu_J.jpg

eikspeky7wbz.jpg

The delicious irony of this post is that Assassin's Creed 2 and The Witcher 3 are two of the greatest games of all time.

"Replay value" is overrated.

Most games I play once and probably never return to for many years if ever. There are way too many new games to concern myself with replaying ones I've already played.

I don't give a shit about replay value and I don't consider it an important metric on the quality of a game.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Agreed.
How about instead of padding out a 20 hour game into a 60 hour game, you make an amazing 20 hour games that has a ton of replay value that you'll want to play at least 3 times making total playing time 60+ hours anyway?

Nah screw that, just pad pad pad! We need more padding! Fill up that map right now!

Ah there we go, beautiful. Gamers are gonna love all of that paddi, uh, I mean, legitimate great content!:
CSX8jx1W0AEMu_J.jpg

eikspeky7wbz.jpg
yeah this is crap bloat.
Real replayability is in modern From software games.
But I also love replaying seemingly non replayable games like uncharted 4 etc. Good game is still good.

Gamers today are just spoiled by choice.

I played the original sonic like 1000 times cause its the only game I had for a year or two outside of blockbuster rentals. That game didn’t have insane replay value i just lacked choices.

Idk man I’ve replayed RE8 3 times, and Metroid Dread 6 times, and those were the only 2021 games I bought this year. Seems like you’re just losing interest/not playing the right games.

Myoverworld

Neo Member
Yeah ima say this has to do with the player more than with the games. I mean per say replay value if you’re competitive there’s stuff out there for me it’s personally fighting games

now when it comes to speed running stuff I don’t expect most to go that route. But if you’re really really enjoy a game you’ll kinda look for ins and outs to get more out of it. Look at breath of the wild the content people have gotten out of that game is overwhelming and there’s gonna be a sequel hopefully as good

Myoverworld

Neo Member
And that seems to be the case for everything I respect the sentiment but it kinda rides off into annoyance when it’s just a meme and said person(s) don’t actually play games. Aka where my third strike fans at

Sethbacca

There are so many games in my backlog that replayability is extremely low on my list anyway. Give me something that amazes me for one playthrough and justifies my purchase and I'm content to move on to the next unplayed game.

There are thousands of games made every year. Why be concerned that you can't spend all of your time on a single game?

I'm about to hit 50 next year. If games were really shit, I'd have stopped playing a loooong time ago. But they haven't. Instead we have the largest and diverse chunk of games for all playstyles and a healthy level of success from both big three teams and a shitload of indies.

Honestly, the only problem right now with gaming is knowing every day I'm running out of time to play them all.

Romulus

Yes, every single modern video game is lacking in replayability. Or you're just old.

Yeah, you got old.

Idk, I can go back and play a game i skipped from the 6th gen, ps2/xbox and have a blast. New games? I'm lucky if I can even make it a few hours in, even with much better visuals, theres just nothing to them. They've replaced incredible level design and atmosphere with grinding.

I'm about to hit 50 next year. If games were really shit, I'd have stopped playing a loooong time ago. But they haven't. Instead we have the largest and diverse chunk of games for all playstyles and a healthy level of success from both big three teams and a shitload of indies.

Honestly, the only problem right now with gaming is knowing every day I'm running out of time to play them all.
I turned 50 a fortnight ago and agree in every way. One minute I can be playing a chilled game like Everybody’s Gone To The Rapture, the next racing through Mexico in FH5. A lot of retro games fondness is just rose tinted spectacles. I should know, I’ve tried playing many again on emulators. Though I’m always partial to Amiga games

Top Bottom