• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Vintage Gamer: Online DRM has ruined Gran Turismo 7

Y0ssarian

Banned
Erm7VeM.jpg

Shifty1897

You can't even save the game without an internet connection. On top of that, the game's economy is straight up broken after you complete the cafe missions. Credit payout slows to a trickle, what's worse, the latest update actually reduces by half the payout of some of the high payout races people were using to grind money for cars. Everything is pushing you toward micro transactions. As it stands, you would need to spend $200 in real world money to buy the most expensive car in the game.

I blame the reviewers for this one. The media should have called out the broken economy and always online DRM and reduced the review score to a 4 or 5 until it was fixed.

kingfey

Banned
It would not stop there, until all these companies make all single player games online.
Its easier for them to hide their incompetence and release unfinished games.

kingfey

Banned
It's crazy that Sony, world famous for their stellar single player games, is fucking up one of their most renown single player franchises with always online, drm bullshit. It's baffling that there isn't an offline mode. This is how greed looks like, in its purest form.
They are making the same mistakes, which MS did after x360.
Its like these companies don't understand what made them popular in the 1st place.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I did say this in the OP about how are people going to be when the servers are down and I said which of course they will be. Now I just need those 6 lottery numbers.

Shifty1897

Can't really blame the media on this one because the MTX wasn't active until the day reviewers posted their reviews and moved on to the next game they were being used as a PR mouthpiece for.
That makes more sense, thanks for letting me know. Though I think maybe reviewers should go back and adjust the score, I know this has been done for games in the past.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Can't really blame the media on this one because the MTX wasn't active until the day reviewers posted their reviews and moved on to the next game they were being used as a PR mouthpiece for.
The in game economy wasn't different though. Why do you think no one complained about earning credits?

Goalus

I hate this new trend. Everyone learnt the wrong lesson from Battlefront 2 and now just hides the MTX shit until after the review cycle.
I actually have to compliment Sony here.
Because it shows how utterly pointless and outdated the established review procedure is nowadays.
If reviewers can't be bothered to replay and reevaluate the games every eight weeks and possibly adjust their score for at least one year, they shouldn't be doing reviews at all.

Unknown?

I honestly doubt any reviewer finished all of the Cafe missions before reviewing it.
Even if they did, it isn't like the credits just stop coming. It's still relatively easy to earn credits even with some of them nerfed. GT has always been a grind fest.

I actually have to compliment Sony here.
Because it shows how utterly pointless and outdated the established review procedure is nowadays.
If reviewers can't be bothered to replay and reevaluate the games every eight weeks and possibly adjust their score for at least one year, they shouldn't be doing reviews at all.
They couldn't even be bothered to rereview GT Sport after 5 years which is more than double the game it was at launch.

Last edited:

skybaby

Even if they did, it isn't like the credits just stop coming. It's still relatively easy to earn credits even with some of them nerfed. GT has always been a grind fest.
Not like this

Goalus

They couldn't even be bothered to rereview GT Sport after 5 years which is more than double the game it was at launch.
What I suggested could be both negative and positive for a game, yes.
Sea of Thieves is another example, and I think IGN re-reviewed it at least once.

kikii

yet an another thread of this, and same ppl comes here crying same stuffs which they have done alredy in those other threads, easy solution, if u dont like teh game dont play it then, nothing is locked behind real monies :p
tho im not sure did i saw some green lambo on store for 2.49€ but im pretty sure its there, no idea can u get it in game via PLAYING :messenger_expressionless: :messenger_savoring: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

skybaby

yet an another thread of this, and same ppl comes here crying same stuffs which they have done alredy in those other threads, easy solution, if u dont like teh game dont play it then, nothing is locked behind real monies :p
tho im not sure did i saw some green lambo on store for 2.49€ but im pretty sure its there, no idea can u get it in game via PLAYING :messenger_expressionless: :messenger_savoring: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Nothing is locked, you don't have to buy anything, always online is no problem. Is it a mantra? Do you have to tell yourself that every day?

ManaByte

The highest race payout is 70,000 for a 10 minute race.

To afford a $2M car, you'd need to grind that same race for FIVE HOURS.

Kusarigama

Very opportunistic.. Gran Turismo Sport had exactly the same 5 years ago. Without internet it was pretty much a glorified demo.
Same nonsense with MK11, Without internet can't save. All this inconvenience just because they are selling currency based micro transactions. Just let us enjoy our games how we want.

kingfey

Banned

10 min race isn't bad. But that bad thing would be the finishing rewards. How is the 1st vs 5th rewards differ?
These rewards will tell us how much we need to grind to get that $2m credit.

They are making the same mistakes, which MS did after x360.
Its like these companies don't understand what made them popular in the 1st place.
this. i know arrogant Sony is a tired meme at this point, but there is a lot of truth to it. shit like what's happens to GT7 and charging players 10 dollars to upgrade to a next-gen version will add up. good will only lasts so long.

kingfey

Banned
this. i know arrogant Sony is a tired meme at this point, but there is a lot of truth to it. shit like what's happens to GT7 and charging players 10 dollars to upgrade to a next-gen version will add up. good will only lasts so long.
Their 10 Gaas games would be their test now. If they fuck up those games, their fans won't be happy.

Last edited:

kikii

play lower ones which are faster, or just dont play the game at all ^^, nothing going to change if u cry here on forums, sometimes i just dont understand this gen z? i think its called that :p

Filben

This is what happens when devs and publishers sneak in their always on and and "life services".

Remember when Microsoft was hit by a backlash when revealing the Xbox One back then with the need to connect to the internet every 24h? This is what the publishers wanted all along. Everyone. Sony and every other greedy corporation. But now publishers realised, hey, we don't need to do this on a system-wide level, just sneak in a game every now and then and probe the reaction. If this gets a pass and not a shitstorm and review bombing by media outlets and people, then we'll see more and more cases like this in the future. Because ultimately it's what they want; they want full control over usage and usage data and make you dependable on their service so they can tailor it exactly so they can squeeze out every last dollar.

What no singleplayer game/part ever needs: dailies, log-in bonuses, loot boxes/packs, internet connection. If a singleplayer portion of a game has any of these this should be a red flag and pointed out so by everyone.

The current development is really pissing me off.

Last edited:

Schmick

Nah, GaaS done well, can be amazing. This is predatory GaaS. Look at Horizon 5, it’s overly generous with credits and vehicles, and is constantly getting new content, and doesn’t require an online connection.
MS seem to have it right. Look at SoT, FS2020 and like you said FH5.

Halo though.... well.... MS still have some work there to do.

Lognor

Banned
Glad to see press continuing to call Sony out on this shit. The best thing Sony can do at this point is remove the online requirement for the single player mode. That was always ridiculous.

That user score on metacritic...yikes! Hopefully that's a wake up call to Sony.

ManaByte

Glad to see press continuing to call Sony out on this shit. The best thing Sony can do at this point is remove the online requirement for the single player mode. That was always ridiculous.

That user score on metacritic...yikes! Hopefully that's a wake up call to Sony.

They can't as long as they're drunk on the prestige that having a FIA authorized eSports mode gives them.

Top Bottom