• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare 2 Gameplay Footage. Spoilers within, click accordingly.

Eric WK

Kibbles said:
Wow they are going to try to use a beta to get Prestige sales? Fuck that. I'm hoping this is false.

They don't have to worry about Prestige sales. Gamestop has already asked them to make more to meet demand.

Mikey Jr.

Hmm, if the only way to get into the cod beta is to pre-order the prestige edition, can't I pre-order it, then cancel once I get my code?

Eric WK

dojokun said:
Do we have information on how many Prestige Editions will be made?

IW has claimed that they're individually numbered and genuinely limited unlike the Halo 3 Legendary Edition, but take that for what it's worth. I don't think they gave a specific figure.

kuYuri

dojokun said:
Do we have information on how many Prestige Editions will be made?

No, but Robert Bowling has emphasized they will be very limited and they don't plan on making anymore after the initial batch is released.

dojokun

Banned
Eric WK said:
IW has claimed that they're individually numbered and genuinely limited unlike the Halo 3 Legendary Edition, but take that for what it's worth. I don't think they gave a specific figure.
Nice.

Eric WK

Wizman23 said:
This latest batch of new members on GAF has been just awful. I'm more of a 360 fan too and this post just makes me smh.

:lol

I missed that. It continues to amaze me how fucking stupid some people are.

dojokun said:
Yeah, seriously. The only controller I have to replace pretty often is my Wii controller. It gets pretty beat up pretty quickly. When I lend it to my girlfriend, for some reason the wear and tear doubles or something. I'm thinking of making her buy me a new one.

Apparently you aren't satisfying her very well, buddy.

Kibbles

Full Recovery said:
I would build a PC before spending any money on another xbox.

buy a ps3, i know you want to
aw93qf.gif

JB1981

man i would really like to build a pc ... but then i'd need two of em, one for downstairs and one for the bedroom. that's a lot of scratch .. but 1080p native gaming on my 50" plasma ..... hmmmmm.

DoomGyver

JB1981 said:
man i would really like to build a pc ... but then i'd need two of em, one for downstairs and one for the bedroom. that's a lot of scratch .. but 1080p native gaming on my 50" plasma ..... hmmmmm.
I already have a 1920x1200 HP monitor.. Once I have ~$800 saved up I think I'm going to pull the trigger.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Really looking forward to GamesCon for a MW2 megaton. Hopefully we'll see some multiplayer in action. I'd be graced by god if they announced a beta/date...

For those that like to follow the drama that guy behind the Xboxic "beta leak" story posts on the infinity ward forums. Apparently his post was based on emails he got from an HMV manager.

Xboxic is read by around 300,000 unique visitors per month since it first went live Dec 2005. I've come here because I am 'Jason Andrews' and been getting tons of messages about this since my tag was posted in a screenshot...

As a newswriter I wrote the leak based on info received by a person who claims to be aware of HMV waiting to receive codes to email out to prestige buyers. It came from an email ending in HMV.com to verify the legit staff member who also claims that HMV are under an 'embargo' and are not bound to disclose info because they have to wait for IW to give the go ahead. The go ahead is apparently meant to take place by IW at Gamescom...

But I did state on the news post that all information has to remain a rumour until IW state otherwise - they would know better than all of us, news was posted under rumour section and although everything sounds pretty legit to me - Gamescom is next week, Robert Bowling is going to represent IW so we'll just have to wait...

all we can do is wait... I am not a spokesperson for IW - we must listen to them...

I also need to make it more clear as some of the reasons to why I gambled on writing the leak.

Keep in mind I am in the UK, and in the UK you can only pre-order and buy Prestige Edition online from HMV.com and you must supply a valid email address to them too.

Prestige Edition can not be bought in the UK anywhere else other than online through HMV where they also need your email addy.

HMV was granted the exclusive right to be the only retailer in the UK selling Prestige Edition for Xbox360 & PS3...now all that is fact and true...

So since my leaked info came from HMV staff who are the only place in the UK with direct communication to IW about Prestige Edition - I took the gamble and wrote the leak

Other reasons was they knew too much, they know ModernWarfare2.com is getting updated because the codes they claim to be handing out need to go through the MW2 website where you then choose to claim a PS3 or Xbox360 beta token. They mentioned 'embargo' information where they wasn't at first allowed to mention CoD1 coming to the Arcade, they've been aware of NightVisionGoggles for about 12 weeks!!!

Now if IW read this whole thread - I wouldnt blame them for not mentioning anything at GamesCom

Yeah I agree time will tell..

I have written many things people cried false at me...

I was first to leak out that someone had found the Halo3 ODST acheivements, everyone cried false - bungie denied it - and then all the achievements I listed were true...

I was also sent the first leak of MW2 images of GameInformer pages before GameInformer got published - everyone cried fake... GameInformer asked for me to remove them sometime later, then GameInformer came out and it was the real pages...

This stuff happens though when you get sent things that are possible leaks - you just have to wait...

Of course I'm sticking around - I love everything Call of Duty!!! Sent 402 a message too direct on twitter - see what he says, none of us has had 1 direct answer to whats false or not

ODST achievements leak
http://www.xboxic.com/news/5449

Exposing the Modder
http://www.xboxic.com/news/5452

GameInformer Leak
http://www.xboxic.com/news/5283

I'm known by different sources as a news writer and contributor to other news sites also outside of Xboxic

also going back further a Xbox360 Avatar Customisations Leak
http://www.xboxic.com/news/4910

Eric WK said:
At least 5 million.

Couple of posts fom 402 over at the official forums.

There will be no beta announcement at Games Convention in Germany. The only reason I've decided not to attend is due to the amount of work I'd like to get done here at the studio, things that would have been delayed even further if I was out of the country for a week.

Things like the frequency at which we release multiplayer videos, more screenshots for press, and planning for some upcoming events.

Fair point, and I apologize for getting your hopes up too much. Floodgate turned into a bad analogy. I was expecting to have many more MP videos by now. Regretfully our video crew was sidetracked by in-game stuff that took priority.

I've been doing press the past few weeks that will be hitting in August, as well as working on more MP videos in the meantime. More info is coming.

Not game related but apparently there will be a comic book series.

'Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2' Comic Book Series Coming From Wildstorm
Posted 17 minutes ago by Russ Frushtick in News, PC, PS3, Xbox 360

UPDATE: Here's the official word from Robert Bowling of Infinity Ward as to how the comic fits in with the game: "The 'Modern Warfare 2: GHOST' comic is a 6-part series delving into the, more legend than history, backstory of Ghost. The series takes place before his inclusion in Taskforce 141 and as such before the events of Modern Warfare 2; focusing more on the origins of his character, the mask, and his ‘Ghost’ moniker."

Original Story: It's not a successful franchise if there's not a comic book spin-off, right? Well "Call of Duty" has officially made it, as Wildstorm (an arm of DC Comics) has nabbed the rights to produce a "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2" comic.

Titled "Modern Warfare 2: Ghost," the series will be a six-parter and tie in to the November release of the game.

I'm kinda curious just how much of a connection the comic and the game will have. Like is the above guy (art taken from the comic book) in the game in any way? Can I unlock his scary face camo? Is Captain Price really dead? Inquiring minds want to know!

wj98oh.jpg

5cabo4.jpg

Mikey Jr.

Hey guys, haven't been keeping up with this thread, but are we gonna get a new gameplay vid up? Last one was like a few weeks ago. Anything new on the horizon?

DoomGyver

Mikey Jr. said:
Hey guys, haven't been keeping up with this thread, but are we gonna get a new gameplay vid up? Last one was like a few weeks ago. Anything new on the horizon?
GameCon starts wednesday, so I would say we have an 100% chance of getting a new vid between wednesday and friday.

Tomcat

fourzerotwo Aiming our next Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer video for release next week. The focus will be on a new Perk that A LOT of you suggested! #MW2

DoomGyver

Magik said:
Lets hope not.

The last thing MW online needs is having everybody running around with a RDS and a silencer.
People already run around using Overkill so they can get x2 pro-pipes.

Now THATs overpowered.

reflex and a suppressor without UAV isn't bad at all.

Impressions of the Special Ops mode

The level we got to see was called Breach & Clear. In this scenario--played single-player by an Activision rep--the player had to use a bomb to breach the wall of a Soviet gulag and shoot through dozens of Russian militia before dropping through a hole at the other end of a large, destroyed shower room. He planted the bomb on the wall, which exploded to provide a new entrance into the room and triggered a brief but dramatic slow-motion sequence that let the player get a jump on the stunned enemies inside.

Once inside, it was that familiar brand of fast-paced Call of Duty shooting through and through. Enemies flooded into the area from the front and up on balconies on the side, keeping the action quick and exciting in much the same way fans of the series have come to expect. The game looked fantastic, running very smoothly even at the peak of the firefight. Some new visual flourishes were on display like the re-done blood splattering that covers the screen as you take damage, but the one thing that really caught our eye during the quick demo was the inclusion of riot shields. Certain enemies storm into the area equipped with these transparent, bullet-proof shields and when they die you can run over and pick up their shields. The result is you holding the shield in front of your face in the traditional-first person view when your gun isn’t drawn, but putting it away when you need to start shooting again.

After leaving an impressive wake of death and destruction, the Activision rep made his way to the end of the level and jumped through a hole in the ground to trigger the ending. Altogether, he made it through the scenario in about two and a half minutes. A screen at the end showed his finishing time and total number of kills, but he could have pulled up a timer during the actual game by hitting up on the directional pad. Otherwise, the screen remains free of clutter to let you focus on the job at hand.

It’s worth noting that Special Ops won’t support perks or customized loadouts that are the hallmark of Modern Warfare’s competitive multiplayer. There was no customization screen prior to the game and no XP totals appearing above the heads of enemies as you shoot them. It was more straightforward action like you’d find in the single-player campaign. It seems like a good decision on the part of Infinity Ward, as the Special Ops mode seems geared more toward working to improve your finishing time under identical situations rather than unlocking new and better weapons to better your odds.

http://gamescom.gamespot.com/story/6215597/modern-warfare-2-special-ops-impressions

Cyberia

No multiplayer beta...

Activision has told CVG at Gamescom that there'll be be no multiplayer beta for Modern Warfare 2. You may remember that the first MW game had a huge open beta test that you could say was a massive success in bringing people round to Call Of Duty's multiplayer options. But it looks like there's no need to do that this time round. The sequel will be big enough, thanks.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=221588

Why would they need a beta on a game they have working just fine. The engine and it's netcode are pretty well "tested" already. Or was everyone just wanting a "demo"?

Magik

BattleMonkey said:
Why would they need a beta on a game they have working just fine. The engine and it's netcode are pretty well "tested" already. Or was everyone just wanting a "demo"?

For me it was a way to help balance out the guns.

If it weren't for the BETA for MW1, the M4 Carbine would have been the most overpowered gun in MW1 by a mile. In the BETA it had the accuracy of the M16 along with its rapid-fire with barely any recoil.

Rikyfree

BattleMonkey said:
/points to his nose.

BattleMonkey said:

I think most wanted a demo. I couldn't see them doing a beta again unless it was just for publicity as they can use most of the info from the first one.

Top Bottom