• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare 2 Gameplay Footage. Spoilers within, click accordingly.

DoomGyver

venom2124 said:
Damn funny custom class names. I was wondering why he used fear as an example.

Quick question about scavenger. Not sure if this was mentioned, but does the dead body have to have matching gear to yours for a resupply? For example, I assume if I'm using an M4 and pass over somebody who used an M16 I will get resupplied, as they use the same caliber bullet. But if I pass over somebody using an AK47, I shouldn't be resupplied. I'm wondering if the perk allows any gun and equipment to resupply the user, regardless of whether or not the gear is a direct match.
Any gear while using scavenger.
So if you have an M16 and no frags and you run over someone who had a FAMAS and grenades your M16 will fill up and you also pick up the grenade.

For the new page:

Okay GAF, I want to know your thoughts on this.

I was watching the presentation video and read that the first two pre-made custom slots were named "Skepticism, pessimism, and Fear" and I knew that I had heard that somewhere recently.
Then I remembered.. it was this guy:
ztx6p.jpg

Bobby Kotick
Now this guy is a greedy tool, and I had just read this in the GAF thread Activision to bypass consoles.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/...&om_clk=newsfeatures&tag=newsfeatures;title;2

Kotick said:
The executive also showed off animation technology he hailed as the future of storytelling in games, pegged the next generation of consoles as being two years out or more, and explained openly why he wants a company culture infused with skepticism, pessimism, and fear.

Robert Bowling took the time to name the customized class "Fear" during the presentation.
ranl10.jpg

lol

Son of Godzilla said:
EA is missing a franchise shooter from it's stable, isn't it?

Battlefield is their franchise shooter they want to push as a company. They have seemingly soured on the Medal of Honor thing probably because it splits focus away from Battlefield and also just because that series just doesn't have the reputation it once had.

Stoney Mason said:
Battlefield is their franchise shooter they want to push as a company. They have seemingly soured on the Medal of Honor thing probably because it splits focus away from Battlefield and also just because that series just doesn't have the reputation it once had.
Oh wow, I completely blanked on Battlefield being EA. I was thinking mostly about Black and how sad it is that isn't actually a franchise yet.

And :lol I had to double check and make sure Bad Company 2 wasn't coming out this fall. For all the hype it got out of PAX I sure thought it was, and was gonna curse EA to condemning it.

Son of Godzilla said:
Oh wow, I completely blanked on Battlefield being EA. I was thinking mostly about Black and how sad it is that isn't actually a franchise yet.

And :lol I had to double check and make sure Bad Company 2 wasn't coming out this fall. For all the hype it got out of PAX I sure thought it was, and was gonna curse EA to condemning it.

Both GRAW 3 and BC 2 come out next spring.

EA is really going to try to push BC 2 to try to take it to that next level of success because they really desperatly want and need a big consistent console shooter that can provide steady sales. Despite on the surface all looking like military sims, I think GRAW, COD, and Battlefield operate in different spaces and I enjoy all of them for somewhat different reasons.

venom2124

Thanks for clearing that up Full Recovery. Scavenger is damn near an infinite ammo perk. Now I'm not so annoyed that bandolier was dropped.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Ghaaad, been so anxious for MW2 that I've been doing things in MW that I never did before :lol Using shotguns is so difficult, but fun at the same time. Took some footage and made a quick Shotgun Montage, with a rather quaint title...

M1014 Shotgun Montage: Deep and Hard

Hardest part was finding an epic song to go with...

EazyB

Banned
Full Recovery said:
For the new page:
Holy shit :lol

That's fucking awesome. I couldn't hate Activision more than I currently do but IW guys seem to be able to avoid much of what makes Activision despicable. That said, my hate for Activision almost made me avoid picking up MW2 new but I went ahead and pre-ordered it anyways. Seeing this makes me feel a lot better about the purchase, hopefully IW can maintain their autonomy and culture.

LeMaximilian said:
Ghaaad, been so anxious for MW2 that I've been doing things in MW that I never did before :lol Using shotguns is so difficult, but fun at the same time. Took some footage and made a quick Shotgun Montage, with a rather quaint title...

I like how you almost but couldn't quite edit out all the martyrdom deaths.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Son of Godzilla said:
I like how you almost but couldn't quite edit out all the martyrdom deaths.

Isn't it absolutely ridiculous how many people use it? Makes using a shotgun even harder than it already is.

Griffith

Banned
LeMaximilian said:
Isn't it absolutely ridiculous how many people use it? Makes using a shotgun even harder than it already is.
I was suprised by how many people use it. I mostly play HC modes so you almost never see anyone use martyrdom. I see now why people complain about it so much.

G_Berry

Banned
LeMaximilian said:

So fucking awesome. Reminds me of when COD 4 was at it's peak... good times.

BRING ON MW2!!!!!!!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Full Recovery said:
New level cap is at 70

http://g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/6171...odern-Warfare-2-Multiplayer-Hands-On-Preview/

Players will also be gaining experience for a lot of things, and quickly. 100 experience per kill is the new baseline, up from 10 in Call of Duty 4. You’ll also earn point bonuses on top of that depending on how you drop an enemy. Score a headshot? That’s an extra 50 points. Do it from long range? You just grabbed another 50. Did you stop him short of a killstreak? Boom, 100 more points! I was able to hit level 12 after roughly six matches at the event. The new level cap is set to 70 and unlocks occur at almost every level. Infinity Ward wasn’t talking about MW2’s Prestige Mode yet, but it is in the game.

Did they say whether PC players will get to Prestige this time?

careful

cameltoe said:
Whats the point? There will be 10,000 point kill servers so everyone will be max in a few hours time...see WaW.
In the Giant Bomb interview, he seemed to hint that this time around there will be tangible rewards for going prestige, not just a new symbol next to your name. So I think it would be a bit unfair for PC players not to be able to get those unlocks.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
CultureClearance said:

Wait wait wait. Are we now having shotguns, pistols, machine pistols, and explosive projectile weaponry as secondary? As in, we can have an assault rifle and a shotgun?

If so, wow. What a fucking shitty change.

EatChildren said:
Wait wait wait. Are we now having shotguns, pistols, machine pistols, and explosive projectile weaponry as secondary? As in, we can have an assault rifle and a shotgun?

If so, wow. What a fucking shitty change.

Probably so the riot shield users don't have to stick with pistols.

God's Beard said:

Given that they already get the benefits of a ballistic shield without the drawbacks of a ballistic shield, you could argue that they shouldn't have many more perks. Honestly, this game just seems far too generous with everything this time around, and simplicity seems to be a completely lost concept. Bummer.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Given that they already get the benefits of a ballistic shield without the drawbacks of a ballistic shield, you could argue that they shouldn't have many more perks. Honestly, this game just seems far too generous with everything this time around, and simplicity seems to be a completely lost concept. Bummer.

Yeah but you can't shoot while holding it.

Also, I wonder if cold-blooded will also protect against the heartbeat sensor.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
God's Beard said:

I just really enjoy the Primary/Secondary gunplay of CoD4 and I think it's silly to completely change it. It made for a great game of ammo conservation, switching at the right moment, and using your pistol effectively.

This is especially true for 1v1 games, which I tend to play a lot of. Last moment pistol battles, using the pistol because you're too far away to use the shotgun, humiliating by using the pistol when you could so easily use your primary, etc.

It just seems like they want to arm every player to the teeth now. I'm sure its going to be a ton of fun, as I trust IW to make a really addictive and enjoyable game, but by the looks of it its going to play nowhere near like CoD4.

That is, in my opinion, what disappoints me most.

Kyoufu

Shotgun in COD4 was pretty much ezmode considering that with the damage perk it was a one shot kill to anyone, even if they were mid-range. I've pissed off quite a few GAFers with it back in the day :lol

God's Beard said:
Yeah but you can't shoot while holding it.

Also, I wonder if cold-blooded will also protect against the heartbeat sensor.

It doesn't mention it on the list - UAV, Air support, sentries and thermal.
My guess is that the heart beat sensor is going to be your anti-cold blooded while cold blooded is your anti everything else.

LeMaximilian said:

Really nice video. I like how you went to the trouble of keeping the "thwip" sound every time you shoot someone.

careful

I guess overkill won't be as useful now that you can have pretty powerful secondary weapons. Actually, looks like they just dropped it from the perks list.

Why is the AT-4 in the game? There are no tanks in this.....

buy teh haloz said:
I hope they buff shotguns a bit, they were easily the worst weapon class in COD4.

Shot guns were powerful but the game nerfed them by making them have a magical barrier that stopped them after a couple feet. You literally could step one step out of its lethal range and take no damage from someone shooting directly at you. Unlike most games where shotguns damage decrease with range due to spray, in COD the shotguns would simply stop after couple feet.

buy teh haloz said:
I hope they buff shotguns a bit, they were easily the worst weapon class in COD4.

Now that it's a secondary I don't think that's going to happen. It most likely will be the opposite. You can hopefully assume that they will be as deadly as a pistol or any other secondary weapon.
That being said I played with some guys that shotgun rushed in cod4 and they rarely lost. Hardcore mode is an entirely different story.

Dynamic3

Rayme said:
Not true.

There are ragdoll physics. =)

I know that there are new animations, but some of them are the exact same from COD4, specifically the one where you fall to the side.

As for the ragdoll, I know it's in there for bodies that are already dead, but if a grenade goes off at your feet you are going to go through the same fall over animation as if you got shot, or barely leave the ground.

I'm just saying I would like some better reactions to explosions.

For my killstreaks I think I'm definately gonna go with the Predator Missile, AC-130 and the reward inbetween I'm still undecided over.

I'll be relying on the lesser players to call in UAV's especially with 2 kills being enough for certain players to bring one up but then those equipped with a heartbeat sensor might drop a UAV from the reward streak.

I also would really like it if you could call in killstreaks for a second time while still on the same life, say 20 kills without reply would reset the killstreak counter meaning 23, 25 & 27 kills would get you UAV, airstrike and chopper.

Dynamic3 said:
I know that there are new animations, but some of them are the exact same from COD4, specifically the one where you fall to the side.

As for the ragdoll, I know it's in there for bodies that are already dead, but if a grenade goes off at your feet you are going to go through the same fall over animation as if you got shot, or barely leave the ground.

I'm just saying I would like some better reactions to explosions.

Grenades don't do what you think they do.
There's early video of the game where somebody gets hit by the ac-130 fire and gets slammed against the wall.

lantus

LeMaximilian said:

Reminds me of when Call of Duty 4 was at it's peak, in terms of amount of people playing, people just flock to you and you feel like a freaking monster.

LeMaximilian said:

Man, where can I get that track?

EDIT: Nvm, OCremix. Maaaan.

Also, to the guy complaining about how it won't play like COD4. Well...isn't that the point? It's the sequel. They want to change it up. Personally I adore the change as I hated the pistol dynamic in the first and am psyched to be able to regularly use shotguns. Also, since the bigger weapons'll be slower to draw, there's nothing stopping you from keeping your pistol arrangement.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
DuckRacer said:
Um, why exactly does there need to be a special PS3-only event?
Well, there was a special 360 event recently. I am not trying to start anything, but I am just curious if they are planning on giving the PS3 version some spotlight.

Zabka

Looks great, but the Predator missile seems a bit much. Especially seeing that guy drop one on 4 enemies after dying. The killstreak rewards in the first game were either delayed or undirected, but this is live and instant for only 5 kills.

It's gonna make defending positions in non-TDM games very annoying.

HooCares

Neo Member
Fantastic Fucking Job with all the great info in this thread.

Culture Clearance, post 3742 is awesome. Thanks for all that info.

It's interesting that perk 1 slot is no longer just equipment like in CoD4 - you now have 3 truly unique abilities PLUS equipment choices in a 4th slot.

You can now have Fast Reload AND Stopping Power at the same time. Holy fuck.

Yeah, it's a nice change. Like I was talking about earlier, I mean, more power is so much better than quicker reloads that now that you can use both, sleight of hand will definitely get more play from me.

Top Bottom