• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare dev asks angry fans to ease up on 'ultra dark toxic comments'

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
If you are in any way related with activision
You basically sold your soul.

You reap what you sow

Might as well sell crack irl to teens.
Bye

Texas Pride

Banned
Anonymity breeds hate on the internet. If that fact still shocks anyone you're past the point of teaching. And letting people know their words hurt you is just asking to have more shoved up your ass. But at least they didn't do what EA/Dice did with the "Don't like it don't buy it" bullshit. But there's still time for the situation to devolve.

Yes. There is no communication possibility here. Most interenet discourse is not a conversation so much as its a depository where you leave your shit.

At the most, take any beta test comments for practical reasons to modify the game. But the general reactions from the public? Fuck the public. Look at this:

E8o2T8B.jpg

Infinity Ward's Infinite Warfare was fantastic and it got shit on by the internet. Why should Infinity Ward listen to youtube and twitter comments about Modern Warfare?
I really liked iw too. I didn't like b03 but did like aw so I rationally gave them a chance because iw didn't have a chance to do advanced movement but "fans" don't see studios, they just see a name. The studio heads were like, we did this because you said you didn't like ghosts and wanted to move away from modern style. The campaign was amazing and the gun play was the best of the 3.

Siri

Banned
The comments are likely being made by a) adolescents who are still in ‘early development’, or b) adult aged men who, embarrassingly, haven’t matured the way they should have.

I guess I’m struggling to understand why a professional programmer/designer would care?

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
As someone who plays CoD and acts like a cunt he’s probably right.

That doesn’t mean The complainers are wrong but. Age old saying have a cup of concrete and harden the fuck up.

lukilladog

The comments are likely being made by a) adolescents who are still in ‘early development’, or b) adult aged men who, embarrassingly, haven’t matured the way they should have.

I guess I’m struggling to understand why a professional programmer/designer would care?

Right, and why would any mature person care if it is just teenagers or idiots saying stupid things?, it makes not too much sense. They just don´t like people touching nerves, the rethoric and figure of speech being used isn´t really the problem, it´s their big ass egos.

Most comments and interactions I've seen are not horrible, but I'm sure they are there. He's been helpful on Reddit and can tell he cares about the game. Just wish he was able to comment on the netcode criticisms, as they seem totally valid.

He made MW2... he's got a thick spine, but Reddit is hard for devs not to look at for some reason...

They used the subreddit as part of their feedback tool during the beta. There was truly a lot of great posts that they even recognized for identifying bugs. It's not all bad. No matter what feedback loop you use, there will be shit posts.

WorldHero

If I was a game developer I'd never read comments, seems like a rabbit hole I'd like to avoid. Plus it will keep my vision of the game pure because it's hard to tell real from fake outrage these days.

I do wonder if they'd address the issue without things getting toxic, but that's something you can never for sure know the answer to. Fan backlash is most powerful before launch when investors are uneasy so I say let them have it for anything anti-consumer.

No sympathy for the devs in this case. Its 2019; you should know not to read comment sections. Dont read twitter replies either. And if you are a dev who posts on reddit or era then you already know what to expect lol

While this is probably a sound practical recommendation to any dev wanting to maintain their sanity, I'm not sure we want to be discouraging them from reading user comments ... a good reason for users to consider being more level and polite in their criticisms. Being insulting and making devs not want to listen is no way to get them to hear what one has to say.

junguler

Banned
if you see a 100 people in a day and 99 of them are perfectly fine and decent people but 1 of them is an asshole, what would you remember at night when you try to go to bed?
negativity tends to stick with people and they are always searching for the reason why they got it in the first place, but sometimes there is no reason, that 1 guy was just an asshole.

burningheart

Neo Member
Oh boo hoo. Grow a pair, act like a professional and ignore the mindless catcalling.

If these guys weren’t employed and paid by one of the most anti consumer companies around, I *might* care. As it stands, MW2019 has deliberately horrible design decisions, we have no idea EXACTLY who signed off on it, and we DO know that the devs and publishers take in that sweet MTX cash and exclusivity deal.

In short, fuck all of them.

sol_bad

I don't know what the ultra dark toxic comments were, but I don't really doubt there were some real bad ones that go well beyond what is a reasonable reaction. With that assumption, the dev's post seems very reasonable to me. They aren't attacking anyone, they aren't taking shots at audience expectations. They're just asking to be spoken of like real human beings.

How about they treat their audience like human beings? Charging for a red dot?

They used the subreddit as part of their feedback tool during the beta. There was truly a lot of great posts that they even recognized for identifying bugs. It's not all bad. No matter what feedback loop you use, there will be shit posts.
Even outside of betas, people like Michael Condrey used it all the time even though Advanced Warfare didn't have a beta.

DonF

whats with big devs fighting back now? I remember Respawn did this not too long ago, now IW...its childish and super lame. Why act like a poor victim when you clearly aren't.

I dislike this a lot. I don't agree with severe cases like death threats and such, but there is a tolerable amount of criticism that every professional should be able to withstand. Specially when your game has awful practices like after release and review window adding dlc or having a history of no support after a year.

Last edited:
Anonymity breeds hate on the internet. If that fact still shocks anyone you're past the point of teaching. And letting people know their words hurt you is just asking to have more shoved up your ass. But at least they didn't do what EA/Dice did with the "Don't like it don't buy it" bullshit. But there's still time for the situation to devolve.
Of course.

There are alot of pussies hiding behind keyboards.

iHaunter

I don't know what the ultra dark toxic comments were, but I don't really doubt there were some real bad ones that go well beyond what is a reasonable reaction. With that assumption, the dev's post seems very reasonable to me. They aren't attacking anyone, they aren't taking shots at audience expectations. They're just asking to be spoken of like real human beings.

And once again also ignoring the problem. "Day one" bullshit, no it's "Day year." Dev's are dishonest.

burningheart

Neo Member
Meanwhile in r/ModernWarfare, there’s hand-wringing a plenty, along the lines of “This game is hell... Acti and MTXs rule... I’m gonna buy it anyway, wahhhhh”.

The answer is REALLY simple. Don’t give them money. BUY USED if you need to get your cod fix, and SAY this on the forums they follow.

Top Bottom