• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare Overhaul Was “Fake” According to Dev, Says He’s Gotten Death Threats From Community

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Game maker says something stupid to get attention: Game maker thinks it's ok

Fans say stupid things back to get game maker's attention: Gamer maker doesn't think it's ok

Mature solution: Game maker stops making BS statements in the future

Likely outcome: Gamer maker still says stupid things acting like an attention whore

Last edited:
I think why people complain about SBMM is because traditionally CoD rewards you with kill streaks and displays K/D so prominently.

With same level players they cannot abuse the mechanics and this takes away some "fun" of the game.

I have the new CoD but haven't touched the MP yet... and probably won't. So I cannot comment on how it is in this game.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
The problem is the system in place now feels like it was only supposed to be a temporary solution. Originally, the game was designed to have no minimap, only a compass at the top that showed you which direction and how close enemies were firing from. Now we also have the classic mini-map showing you map layout and teammate positions, which sometimes shows enemy red dots when the UAV is up. We now have two separate HUD sections showing you positioning, and having to look between them for the full picture is incredibly awkward. They basically have two different systems duck-taped together. IW has three choices:

1. Say that they only added the minimap as a concession so players could learn the map layouts, and remove it now, because Modern Warfare and its maps were designed around only having a minimal compass showing you gunshot directions.

2. Accept that the new system was an interesting experiment but that the classic Call of Duty minimap was and is superior. This would be my preferred option, as the overarching concept of Call of Duty multiplayer is all about situational awareness and using noise and the minimap to locate your enemies while moderating your movement and weapon fire to obscure your position.

3. Leave things as they are, which I think would continue the absurdity of having two incongruent approaches side by side and cluttering up the HUD.

I love this multiplayer but this is the one area where it feels like they really need to make a decision rather than just continue accepting the status quo.

Coflash

When will the gaming community ever grow up and stop this shit?

What other group out there, consisting of millions (or billions) of people, doesn't contain at least a handful of crazies? This has nothing to do with the gaming community. It's the individual lunatics that act out, most likely in every avenue of their lives, and not just in regards to gaming.

The whole death threats thing is stupid anyway. Just like piracy, racism and every other negative thing people want to unrealistically wish away. It's always going to be there to some degree, and it's more productive to learn how to deal with it when it arises than it is pretending to be surprised every time it occurs.

Last edited:

peronmls

The gaming community is getting more and more toxic. I’m not surprised anymore by the way they behave.
Petty death threats are petty death threats. There is never a good reason for it. Lets pretend that never happend after the fact. He/they still scummed us over with their shitting marketing technique. (I guess we really do play shooters mindlessly) They are using that death threat to dull the backlash. Is this not false advertising???

MuleSkinner

Neo Member
There is zero incentive to improve as you're only going to be put in with better players.

I don't get that statement, how can you improve by only playing against low skilled players.

If you don't get it, then you haven't played CoD games for the last 7 years, it has ruined the franchise.

That's true, the last CoD I played seriously was CoD 4 and I only played competitive promod S&D, I've put thousands of hours in that game. ( don't have the number but I've played it for 5 years every day )
Online I played some cod waw, cod mw2, blops 1, advanced warfare, all games were shit compared to my cod4 experience, this new game has that x factor and it can be a great game but it's missing some important stuff ( I think I'll write a post on main cod mw thread about that )

I don't get how anybody can defend SBMM

I'm not defending it, just didn't see a valid argument it shouldn't be ingame, I don't see your perspective ( I'm trying to ).

What modes are you guys playing and what is considered a competitive mod ? ( haven't really followed the esports scene )

Last edited:
modern-warfare-image-sp-2.jpg

Back in the first week of November, a rumor from a reliable source surfaced stating that a Call of Duty: Modern Warfare overhaul was incoming, and how the mini map would once again include red dots like in previous franchise entries, much to the dismay of a lot of Call of Duty veterans (including this guy), the Modern Warfare overhaul — or anything close to it — didn’t happen.

Over on Twitter, Co-Design Director Joe Cecot replied to a fan asking where the overhaul was, and said that it was a “fake statement” to get attention.

While Infinity Ward didn’t roll out an overhaul patch for Modern Warfare, Senior Communications Manager Ashton Williams got the ball rolling when she tweeted how a “big” update that fans were “asking about” was set to be released, which when it did (patch 1.09), didn’t really change anything big. Once update 1.09 dropped, and it didn’t provide an overhaul, things got very messy on the Modern Warfare subreddit. Members of the community kept posting threads asking about the overhaul, and it seems even the devs themselves didn’t get spared, and have appeared to be less active in answering the community’s concerns.

In one particular thread, Cecot mentioned how things can be “rough” in the Modern Warfare subreddit, and how he even got PMs (private messages) on how his children should die “horrible deaths.” He also mentioned how he’s spending less time in the subreddit as well.

mw-cecot-threats.png

I hope he reported those people. They aren't as anoymous as they think they are.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That tweet was unfortunate. Not sure what she was thinking. Don't overhype patches.
Before the internet:
TV and print ads, radio spots, getting a demo on a disc, funky cardboard cut out promotional stuff you see at a store.

Takes lots of money and effort.

The internet age:
Social media.

Every employee thinks they are a marketing genius using Twitter.

I don't get that statement, how can you improve by only playing against low skilled players.
I didn't say you improve by playing against low skilled players. In fact, I said the exact opposite.

The only reason SBMM exists is to try and protect new players. It doesn't. Everyone gets slaughtered when they first play CoD. That is what makes you get better.

The point is, the better you do, the better players you get put in with. So then you get hammered. Until the SBMM adjusts and puts you in with crap players again. Then you improve again, and the circle continues. It's idiotic.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Skill based matchmaking is great or shit depending what kind of gamer you.

1. Great if want a challenge and playing with peers of similar skill

2. Shit if you care about K/D and want to go 24-2 against noobs for 14 matches in a row

Last edited:
I couldn't care less about K/D. But it would be nice to put into lobbies with people who are worse than I am, on par with me, and better than me, based on connection. As it used to be.

Now, when I have a good game, I know I'm going to pay for it a couple of matches down the line. So where's the incentive to play well? Better just to reverse boost, which a lot of people are doing.

And the SBMM evaluates every 5 games. So good luck going positive 14 games in a row.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I couldn't care less about K/D. But it would be nice to put into lobbies with people who are worse than I am, on par with me, and better than me, based on connection. As it used to be.

Now, when I have a good game, I know I'm going to pay for it a couple of matches down the line. So where's the incentive to play well? Better just to reverse boost, which a lot of people are doing.

And the SBMM evaluates every 5 games. So good luck going positive 14 games in a row.
The incentive is that you play with better people. So you belong with other players of similar skill.

It's like beer leagues. There's still tiers and divisions. If your team is deemed too good, the league coordinators will request your team move up a division. You can't stack a team and win Division Z 10 years in a row blowing out shitty players.

As for the 14 game comment, my point was gamers who only care about K/D don't want SBMM at all. They want to party up with buddies who are good and cream every lobby all night. With SBMM, they will play against good clans too.

The incentive is that you play with better people. So you belong with other players of similar skill.

It's like beer leagues. There's still tiers and divisions. If your team is deemed too good, the league coordinators will request your team move up a division. You can't stack a team and win Division Z 10 years in a row blowing out shitty players.

As for the 14 game comment, my point was gamers who only care about K/D don't want SBMM at all. They want to party up with buddies who are good and cream every lobby all night. With SBMM, they will play against good clans too.
Playing with a lobby full of players on par with your skill level, and better than you, is no incentive. It's not fun. Especially because when you inevitably do worse, five games later the game adjusts again and you're back in with worse players. You have absolutely no idea if you're improving or not. And again, no one is asking to play against shitty players exclusively. Random players, based on connection. If you want to play against players based on your skill level, that's what ranked play is for.

Texas Pride

Banned
They want tactical gunplay while retaining the arcade elements like killstreaks and spray and pray and it doesn't work. SBMM aside they should've made a clear choice one way or another Arcade shooter or Tactically realistic.

Top Bottom