• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare PC Specs Revealed (175GB install)

Tesseract

Banned
they need to break off segments of the game for download

i basically only care about multiplayer, that's gotta be at least half the data

Kenpachii

Dump loads of people need to upgrade and data caps are not really something that Activision Blizzard can help.

Ofcourse they can, by reducing the size, and lots of people are not able to "increase" there data caps, or can be bothered to upgrade there SSD's for just a call of duty game.

I have unlimited data and enough SSD space and a fast connection and even i wouldn't want to reserve 175gb on my ssd for just a single game.

It's dumb business.

Last edited:

logicslayer

RDR2 is an open world game. It's therefore more acceptable for it to have a stupidly large file size.
Modern Warfare isn't.
giphy.gif

Caffeine

Ofcourse they can, by reducing the size, and lots of people are not able to "increase" there data caps, or can be bothered to upgrade there SSD's for just a call of duty game.

I have unlimited data and enough SSD space and a fast connection and even i wouldn't want to reserve 175gb on my ssd for just a single game.

It's dumb business.
ye it sucks my c drive is 120GB ssd, my game drive is a 480GB ssd.

Chiggs

I run a monster PC with incredible SSD storage and am glad to see a developer and publisher keep the vermin from slipping into my gaming paradise.

Gamezone

Gold Member
We're basically moving into next-generation with UHD discs that are too small already. Activision is one of the publishers who's refusing to ship their games on two discs.

mcz117chief

This is a pretty massive increase over prior CoDs, almost makes me think this is a typo or they decided to include lossless audio for every major language by default.
Oh shit, I'm getting those Titanfall flashbacks again. 70% of that game were uncompressed audio files. It was pure horseshit.
what the fuck man, i cannot install that
I can but it would take up a third of my hdd partition and would download for a whole day (the download files are hopefully about 70 gigs at most). Still, because they decided to put weapons in lootboxes, I won't touch that shit.

Last edited:
Download CompactGUI https://github.com/ImminentFate/CompactGUI, it will help you save space by compressing poorly compressed games.

Cod:Black ops 3, from 122GB to 92GB. 30GB saved.
Cuphead, from 11GB to 3GB, 8GB saved.

This program is awesome.
It's a frontend for something built into Windows, compact. I tried it on Black Ops 4, saved a whopping...100MiB...maybe...
Not even enough to even register on the ratio. Highly variable game to game I suppose. Some games do see bigger gains (or losses perhaps) though, so it's worth trying on some of the larger ones.

Stuart360

Man even with my 60gb an hour download speed, this will take 3 hours to download!.
I hope the game will work well on mechanical hard drives because i dont think this is going to fit on my 128gb SSD's lol.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
It's a frontend for something built into Windows, compact. I tried it on Black Ops 4, saved a whopping...100MiB...maybe...
Not even enough to even register on the ratio. Highly variable game to game I suppose. Some games do see bigger gains (or losses perhaps) though, so it's worth trying on some of the larger ones.

Yeah I know it's something built into w10, but its easier to tell people to download the program than explain how to do it with the built in tool.

Yeah it depends on the game. If the game is already properly compressed, or if it uses some type of file that it can't compress then it won't really help.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Imagine if all AAA games need 150GB from now on. Good times.

NQVZ34W.gif

Seriously devs. Give me the option for slightly less than a trillionk resolution textures, and just a little bit of compression, and I’m sure the game will still look fantastic.

I’m just done downloading these monsters, or worse, buying a disc, and still being stuck installing them forever. Even hard drive management is getting irritating.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Welcome to 9th gen.

Sony already confirmed 100GB PS5 discs. Expect more triple digit games.

About a decade ago, If you would've told me game file sizes would go beyond something like 20 GB I would've thought you were joking.

Woo-Fu

Banned
They should offer a Silicon Edition, comes pre-installed on an SSD.

I could always use another SSD, particularly if it saves me having to download for a week over 10Mb dsl.

Last edited:

MaKTaiL

The install size alone should be enough reason to NOt buy this lame ass game. Activision should be ashamed of this.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
50 gigs - single and multiplayer
100 gigs - MTXs
25 gigs - Xbox and PC players tears of regret in sorrow over spec ops.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Why wont they finally allow sp and mp separate installs... same with gta 5. it's crazy

Petrae

Even if greedy industry bullshit hadn’t convinced me that it’s time to walk away from modern video games, excessive file sizes like this— which is all but certain to become the norm— would. Having to constantly delete games to install new ones gets tiresome, as the games basically become disposable, and the amount of waiting time (and data) required to play a new game has gradually been moving from annoying to off-putting.

When are companies going to finally give us selective installs and downloads of texture resolutions and language packs just to give two examples?

Blade2.0

People called me stupid when I bought 6TB regular hard drive to go with my SSD....well who's laughing now assholes!

Top Bottom