• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modest Mouse VS. Franz Ferdinand: The duel of the singles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mason

Ok, both these bands released albums and singles at roughly the same time. Both the singles sound similiar (in style of music) and the videos are also very similar. So, which do you like better and why? Modest Mouse's "Float On" or Franz Ferdinand's "Take Me Out"?

I just got the Franz Ferdinand album and haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but I have heard "Take Me Out." I much prefer "Float On," probably just because I love the rest of that album, too. Plus, I love some of the minor touches in the video that aren't really present in the "Take Me Out" video.

Vicious

Both singles are a bit too repetitive for their own good. I prefer Franz Ferdinand's video because the lead singer reminds me of Dave Foley, and that's just damn cool.

As for the songs, it's whichever one is being played 894 times a day on the radio instead of 895.

Franz Ferdinand and Modest Mosue don't sound anything like each other in my opinion. Modest Mouse is way more out there musically, some of their stuff is downright weird. I guess Float On maybe sorta sounds like Franz. But by and far MM's music is much more... bubbly I'd say. It makes me feel like I'm floating. Franz is an out and out indie rock band. It's all catchy guitar riffs and such.

Franz is better than Modest Mouse.
Take me Out is better than Float On.
Both are still fantastic.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
StrikerObi said:
But by and far MM's music is much more... bubbly I'd say. It makes me feel like I'm floating.

Franz is better than Modest Mouse.
Take me Out is better than Float On.
Both are still fantastic.

bubbly? are you basing this off of their latest album? i havent heard it yet, but its not the word id use to describe their other albums. ..

ive only heard a couple of franz songs .. and i have been a looong time modest mouse fan, so my opinion may be a bit skewed.. but ill take MM over Franz any day . though franz is still good.

quadriplegicjon said:
bubbly? are you basing this off of their latest album? i havent heard it yet, but its not the word id use to describe their other albums. ..

ive only heard a couple of franz songs .. and i have been a looong time modest mouse fan, so my opinion may be a bit skewed.. but ill take MM over Franz any day . though franz is still good.

Yeah their latest album, maybe bubbly isn't the right word. It makes them sound like a pop band. The first couple songs (World at Large, Float On, The Ocean Breathes Salty) definatly make me feel like I'm floating. The next group (Bury me With it, Dance Hall, Bukowski, The Devils Work Day) are very haunting and have a totally different feel. So does Satin in a Coffin. The View has a up-beat rock feel. Blame it on the Tetons, Black Cadillacs, and One Chance have a very reflective feel to them. Finally, The Good Times are Killing Me is just a nice closing track.

Vicious said:
Both singles are a bit too repetitive for their own good. I prefer Franz Ferdinand's video because the lead singer reminds me of Dave Foley, and that's just damn cool.

As for the songs, it's whichever one is being played 894 times a day on the radio instead of 895.

Hmm... I guess you don't listen to the radio at all then :). Every song on it is repetitive. Repetitive songs with choruses = what's selling these days. The reason why I like Float On is that it's repetition actually works well in the context of the song, which is a radio rarity.

Triumph

Banned
I don't really get how Take Me Out is repetitive, though. It starts out as a straight rock song and goes into disco. The disco is certainly repetitive, but still.

Meier

Franz Ferdinand has the best album of the year aguably.. the Modest Mouse one is garbage sadly. Has about 3 good songs on it -- the single tricked me.

fart

Savant
Guzim said:
Better band with a female lead singer.

Rilo Kiley or Metric?
shit.

on the one hand jenny was a child star on the other hand emily is god

i don't know dude

KingGondo

Banned
Franz Ferdinand, although it's far from the best song on the album-

Cheating on You (props to Guzim)