• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modnation beta thread of low framerate awesomeness

Mik2121

Welp, someone had to make this thread!.

I'm LOVING this game so much, specially the whole create stuff. You can just make so much stuff even within the beta, that I'm sorta scared of what might happen when the whole thing goes gold.

Anyway, I'll post a couple pics of stuff I did:

My Mod (rider)

opaejp.jpg

My kart

29gncky.jpg

And the hub (you can access everything pressing START as well)

2564sjn.jpg

batbeg

I didn't get the beta key :( I saw on my phone "Here's your exclusive Modnation" and immediately turned on my PS3, went to PSN, then opened the e-mail for the key only to see "Racers PS3 Theme Voucher". :(

Hopefully I'll get one either through GameSpot or a kindly helping citizen of the peoples.

Are the racing mechanics fun? Is splitscreen by any miraculous possibility in the beta?

Mik2121

°°ToMmY°° said:
oh shit, there's a hub too!

is there a screenshot function in the game?

Yup, there's a screenshot function available almost everywhere (create and race mode, though the screens I took while editing my track didn't get saved on the HDD, they are just to select a thumbnail for the game, so if you want to get pics of your track, you have to go race mode within the edit mode -to try out your track while you build it- and then take pics from there).

You can also rotate the camera and move around a bit when taking the pics, ala WipeOut HD, but without the post-processing effects and a few other things like tilting, but they might add that later?

HUELEN10

TTP said:
Serious question. Some people call anything lower than 60 FPS "low framerate" for a racing game. As long as it is a solid 30 at the least WITH NO TEARING (I hate tearing. I'd rather have a lower framerate before tearing.), I am a happy camper. Of course, that's just me. Everyone's different when it comes to the issue. That's why I asked, so I can know. Not trolling here, just want to know what to expect.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
HUELEN10 said:
Serious question. Some people call anything lower than 60 FPS "low framerate" for a racing game. As long as it is a solid 30 at the least WITH NO TEARING (I hate tearing. I'd rather have a lower framerate before tearing.), I am a happy camper. Of course, that's just me. Everyone's different when it comes to the issue. That's why I asked, so I can know. Not trolling here, just want to know what to expect.

Oh, I was quoting you because I want to know as well.

HUELEN10 said:

It's really jerky.. Like hurt my eyes kind of jerky. I did only try one Time Trial though and it is a beta. I'll play it more later.

Mik2121

It's way lower than 60fps. Trust me. I'm one of those who hate people who rage when a game goes under 60fps to something like 40 or 50, when even that isn't all that bad.

But as of right now this game has some parts where it goes into very low framerates. Not like under 10fps, but still quite noticeable. I hope/guess they'll fix it before the game gets released.

Other than that, the whole mod (rider), kart and track editor are AMAZING.

I will try to set a webcam later pointing at my TV so people who's not in the beta can check it out too.

rc213

Modding your character and car is easy and pretty deep. Tons of stuff but locked out for the beta I guess. Only did a time trial but I am liking it so far. Online seems to be down still but the hub looks great so far. Will check back later for the online and track creation.

HUELEN10

MiloFoxburr said:
It's really jerky.. Like hurt my eyes kind of jerky. I did only try one Time Trial though and it is a beta. I'll play it more later.
Jerky? Well, I won't know till I play it myself, or someone else confirms, but that sounds like tearing to me. :(

On the plus side, the game is not finished yet, so we shouldn't assume that this necessarily reflects the final product.

I didn´t get any key.

Since its my 30th birthday, I would gladly accept a key as birthday present.

Pretty please?

Pretty please, with sugar on top?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Mik2121 said:
It's way lower than 60fps. Trust me. I'm one of those who hate people who rage when a game goes under 60fps to something like 40 or 50, when even that isn't all that bad.

But as of right now this game has some parts where it goes into very low framerates. Not like under 10fps, but still quite noticeable. I hope/guess they'll fix it before the game gets released.

Damn. Interest fading.

HUELEN10

CecilRousso said:
I didn´t get any key.

Since its my 30th birthday, I would gladly accept a key as birthday present.

Pretty please?

Pretty please, with sugar on top?
2l89s2d.jpg

The box says no. :lol J/K

Mik2121

TTP said:
Damn. Interest fading.
It doesn't get anywhere unplayable. The 'worst' problem is the camera, and that can be pretty easily fixed whenever the game gets released or even in a patch for the beta.

I'm setting up the webcam right now, so I'll post the link to check out it, in a couple mins when I get everything going on.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Mik2121 said:
It doesn't get anywhere unplayable.

But still, I don't understand how you can't have a solid frame rate with graphics like these, even in the beta. I mean, Gripshift looks comparable, was release years ago and run at a rock solid 60fps.

TTP said:
But still, I don't understand how you can't have a solid frame rate with graphics like these, even in the beta. I mean, Gripshift looks comparable, was release years ago and run at a rock solid 60fps.

it's a beta and enviroments and characters aren't fixed as you can build whatever thing you want.

game is may, so they have plenty of time to polish everything and make it a smooth experience.

Razorskin

----- ------
Just got my beta code! :D Thanks Qore

Edit: Oh I got another from the website entry. First to quote gets it.

Edit2: Sent to Pizza Luigi

DMeisterJ

Banned
I signed up with 5 E-Mail addresses and only got one code... lol

I guess now I'm not really in a hurry to download it's low frame-rate goodness...

Really enjoying the beta so far, the customization options are great and the racing's alot of fun - i'm really glad there's options for a ton of shortcuts, judging by the pre-made levels and a user level I downloaded. I haven't yet tried creating a course for myself. Thanks to this beta my interest in Mod Nation Racers went from 'Meh' to 'Holy shit! Day 1', for some reason I got a Beetle Adventure Racing vibe.

Anyways, here's a shot of my guy 'The Baron';

MODNATION_3.jpg

My kart 'Baron's Ride';

MODNATION_2.jpg

And an in-game shot;

MODNATION.jpg

V_Ben

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
I signed up with 5 E-Mail addresses and only got one code... lol

I guess now I'm not really in a hurry to download it's low frame-rate goodness...

weeel, if you decide against downloading it, might i offer my services in code redemption. i have a 100% success rate :)

Why are even the tutorial videos in a jerky slow motion framerate? :lol

No way to edit camera controls is an immediate oversight. I can already see I'll be feedback bombing Sony into oblivion.

Yeah, the framerate is pretty painful as it stands. Customisation is good, though I'm not entirely sold on the actual racing (could be related to the framerate).

-PXG-

Those assholes. They tricked me. I saw my email and it said "Modnation Racers". Clicked on it, but it's only the fucking theme. God damnit. Don't tease me like that.

Gamespot or bust.

EDIT

My other email is no dice either. Here's a theme code if you want it

PQN5-E6BN-HDE5

Moobabe

Disappointed so far. Haven't yet been able to get into any race. Time trials won't load and both games online wouldn't start because there weren't enough people.

Top Bottom