• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modnation beta thread of low framerate awesomeness

Is the online not working yet? I can't connect, so maybe they havent switched the server on yet? (getting LBP flashbacks)

Having the most fun with the character creator. Haven't even opened the Track editor yet :lol

Spy

Mik2121 said:
My new Mod:

2gv21sp.jpg
That looks great!

FatalT

Banned
Are any of you actually able to race? I keep disconnected from the servers and it looks like everyone else is too when I'm in the queue for one because they always drop out and join in and drop out.

cornerman

Oneself said:
:lol It's a fucking BETA, they WANT us to whine. I want the game to be fucking perfect, I won't get used to substandard shit because I want to love that game.

Come on!

I think he's looking for you to be more humble and constructive in your criticism, given the game is in beta (and all that implies), he's enjoying it, and the fact that the devs are working hard to make a game we will all like. Not to say it was your intention, but your comments dont' give off that vibe.

If you're observant of the climate in forums like GAF, you know that its easy to get cast into the pool of fanboys, trolls, or what have you. While some of it is indeed carried out with hostile and juvenile intent, some things just come down to common courtesy, and a respect of one's audience (even if it is the internet). While you are correct in your point about what a beta is; its the way in which you make that point that makes all the difference.

JSnake

SecretBonusPoint said:
Is the online not working yet? I can't connect, so maybe they havent switched the server on yet? (getting LBP flashbacks)

Having the most fun with the character creator. Haven't even opened the Track editor yet :lol

Yeah I can't get online either

KillerAJD

~3 minutes left until Gamespot hands out codes. LINK. If it's like the Bad Company 2 beta giveaway, you need an account, and you just click a button when it pops up and it should give you a code (might need to go through a captcha first)

sinxtanx

So I've been playing around for a few hours now, won some races, lost some races, made a few tracks.

Some thoughts:

THE LOAD TIMES - the "modspot" seriously have to go, or at least be optional. You have to load what is essentially an entire level, when all I want is a menu. For the levels this amount of load is acceptable, it is not when you just want to navigate between menus.

THE CAMERA - I see walls after I run into them.

THE CONTROLS - Spot-on. You can feel that this is a highly skill-based kart racer. Different weapon functions (and upgrades like DKR) and using boost both offensively and defensively are plusses in my book. Drifting feels awesome.

THE COMMUNITY - Both publishing and downloading tracks and karts is painless. Good search alternatives. Leaderboards are in of course, and don't do much.

THE ONLINE - Server a bit wonky. A few disconnects here and there. But lag is kept at a minimum, and that is essential.

THE TRACK EDITOR - Perfect. Just perfect. It's so easy to manipulate every minute detail of a track that I had within half an hour made a track, winding up and down, with boost pads, shortcuts and devilish placing of item boxes, published it, and raced on it with a couple of other guys. My second track was incredibly more elaborate and drift-friendly. All in all, VERY GOOD EDITOR.

The game is far from perfect, but if they could fix the camera and give us a menu that does not require a minute of loading every time we want to switch to another part of the interface to another (seriously, it's like this: press start->one minute->look for game->X minutes->start game->one minute->race->one minute->prepare next race->one minute and so on) it could become great.

edit: my tracks can be found under user sinxtanxUSA

Wow that was surprisingly easy. I was expecting LBP beta-level nightmares.

Now to wait until I get home tonight to actually download it.

Mikey Jr.

sinxtanx said:
So I've been playing around for a few hours now, won some races, lost some races, made a few tracks.

Some thoughts:

THE LOAD TIMES - the "modspot" seriously have to go, or at least be optional. You have to load what is essentially an entire level, when all I want is a menu. For the levels this amount of load is acceptable, it is not when you just want to navigate between menus.

THE CAMERA - I see walls after I run into them.

THE CONTROLS - Spot-on. You can feel that this is a highly skill-based kart racer. Different weapon functions (and upgrades like DKR) and using boost both offensively and defensively are plusses in my book. Drifting feels awesome.

THE COMMUNITY - Both publishing and downloading tracks and karts is painless. Good search alternatives. Leaderboards are in of course, and don't do much.

THE ONLINE - Server a bit wonky. A few disconnects here and there. But lag is kept at a minimum, and that is essential.

THE TRACK EDITOR - Perfect. Just perfect. It's so easy to manipulate every minute detail of a track that I had within half an hour made a track, winding up and down, with boost pads, shortcuts and devilish placing of item boxes, published it, and raced on it with a couple of other guys. My second track was incredibly more elaborate and drift-friendly. All in all, VERY GOOD EDITOR.

The game is far from perfect, but if they could fix the camera and give us a menu that does not require a minute of loading every time we want to switch to another part of the interface to another (seriously, it's like this: press start->one minute->look for game->X minutes->start game->one minute->race->one minute->prepare next race->one minute and so on) it could become great.

Hows the fps?

Dommel

HappyBivouac said:
Wow that was surprisingly easy. I was expecting LBP beta-level nightmares.

Now to wait until I get home tonight to actually download it.

It was indeed, I was prepared for a frantic session of refreshing and opening gamespot.com in every other brower I could think of but after one refresh once the counter was done I got my code.

Kinda boring actually :lol

Darkpen

Banned
To the people who got their codes, do you think you guys have some sort of cookie configuration that might differ from us?

BiggNife

I got one code just fine, but then I tried to get another code for my friend via another GS account and I'm getting the same looping problem you guys are having.

I'm thinking they already ran out. It was only 2000 codes.

panda21

motherfuckers i got up this morning and looked email on iphone and just saw 'here's your exclusive modnation racers' and thought it was the beta.

fucking theme!!!! :mad:

Darkpen

Banned
BiggNife said:
I got one code just fine, but then I tried to get another code for my friend via another GS account and I'm getting the same looping problem you guys are having.

I'm thinking they already ran out. It was only 2000 codes.
But I was there when it was ready >_<

-PXG-

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Offer open to North American GameSpot members 13 and older. This offer may be modified at any time without notice. Offer expires the earlier of 1/10/10 or when beta keys supplies end.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Dommel said:
It was indeed, I was prepared for a frantic session of refreshing and opening gamespot.com in every other brower I could think of but after one refresh once the counter was done I got my code.

Kinda boring actually :lol

xD Same here, I was pretty pesmistic I was saying to myself "as soon as that clock hits 0 and I refresh the page is not gonna load I never get into this kind of things" And Indeed, there it was, first refresh and CODE GET! :D . It's gonna take an assload of time though to download on my playstation so I'll finally be able to play it late at night D=

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Offer open to North American GameSpot members 13 and older. This offer may be modified at any time without notice. Offer expires the earlier of 1/10/10 or when beta keys supplies end.

Man it's good being American territory, guess I was lucky most of this stuff forget about Puerto Rico and we get shafted over here.

Top Bottom