• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mojang creating a game in 60 hours for charity - Humble Bundle Mojam

I'm amazed that the artist never zoom in. Whenever I do any visual work on a computer I zoom in and out like crazy all the time. Either he has a really big monitor or is just damn good.

Update with collision detection:

mLBE2.jpg

The hell they did to Geralt?

bengraven

I feel sorry for Mattis, man. Seriously, he's been getting so pissed at the people in chat over the last few hours. I understand he's under pressure, but he really needs to stop letting them get under his skin.

Let's jump in and make a game for the jam as well.

I wish we could organize enough to do that!

I always loved Notch's 48 game challenges and this is really awesome how much better the games can be with more help.

bengraven

If everyone donating gets a free game, then it's not exactly charity, now, is it?

We already get 2 games, maybe 3 if the Wolfire game gets added. You'd think people would be cool with that.

Sounds like the guy just really wants a "pay-what-you-want" Minecraft.

TheExodu5

Banned
This artist is damned talented.

We already get 2 games, maybe 3 if the Wolfire game gets added. You'd think people would be cool with that.

Sounds like the guy just really wants a "pay-what-you-want" Minecraft.

Wolfire is doing this too? I friggin' love their Overgrowth updates. I'd love to see them work in real time.

dLMN8R

If everyone donating gets a free game, then it's not exactly charity, now, is it?

What's your problem? It was just a hypothetical question. It's the same as every single other past Humble Bundle.

I can totally imagine Notch and the rest of Mojang giving away copies of Minecraft to everyone who decided to donate to charity.

For fuck's sake, I'm not asking for it or expecting it. I already donated $15, and simply brought up a "what if?"

Sheesh.

bengraven

This artist is damned talented.

Wolfire is doing this too? I friggin' love their Overgrowth updates. I'd love to see them work in real time.

1) yeah, did you see him make that snake? Just a long black squiggle, a shake of the mouse, and it was already a badass snake shape.

2) http://www.twitch.tv/wolfireaubrey

What's your problem? It was just a hypothetical question. It's the same as every single other past Humble Bundle.

I can totally imagine Notch and the rest of Mojang giving away copies of Minecraft to everyone who decided to donate to charity.

Maybe he'll do an Oprah, but why let it out of the bag now?

bengraven

Almost to 150k.

Oh he (?) is using 3ds Max. I would have loved to see how he did that model of the train. Made a SNES in 2 days and this is far less complex ...

Yeah, I'm assuming he's also doing something Steampunk, but I don't have any more information besides that they're making the game. Other than one or two tweets they haven't made any official information.

That train-tank looks fantastic, though, like FFVI-ish.

Is Mattis(the one on the stream right now) the only artist working on the game? Between characters, items, environments, additionally sprites for animations, sleep and eat how the hell will he be able to finish this in time!?

I'm already more stressed about this than he is!

dLMN8R

You asked why I responded to your initial post. I answered. Don't get mad at me for answering your question.

I asked "what if they do this? That would be cool". You pretending like I was begging or asking for that, and claimed "entitlement".

Chill out. I'm not mad, I'm confused why you responded like such a dick.

celebi23

Oxeye's game sounds pretty awesome :D You're in a Nazi bunker and you have to fight your way out. Nazi's keep spawning. You have to kill them and find Nazi gold. The fighting engine is similar to River City Ransom :D

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Oxeye's game sounds pretty awesome :D You're in a Nazi bunker and you have to fight your way out. Nazi's keep spawning. You have to kill them and find Nazi gold. The fighting engine is similar to River City Ransom :D

Any screens available?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Seems like there will be a second Wolfire game:

bRYnw.png

(wtf happened to the screenshot?)

Now? 4! :D

Wow, lol. The thing exploded. I hope they used all genres and settings for these games! You guys might get your Molyneux Dating Sim after all!

junkboy

Explosion Master Supreme
Is Mattis(the one on the stream right now) the only artist working on the game? Between characters, items, environments, additionally sprites for animations, sleep and eat how the hell will he be able to finish this in time!?

I'm already more stressed about this than he is!

No there's three of us in total, Mattis (bomuboi), me and Henrik (carnalizer), but it'll be mostly me and Mattis throughout the weekend. We'll manage though... somehow!

Toma

The 4th game was seemingly a mistake, ha. Gone from the page again.

IceMarker

No there's three of us in total, Mattis (bomuboi), me and Henrik (carnalizer), but it'll be mostly me and Mattis throughout the weekend. We'll manage though... somehow!

Pixel art is your profession I'm sure you'll be fine, even if you won't have time to polish them.

So, we're getting 3 cross-platform games out of this? Nice! :D
I don't know if the Oxeye game is cross platform. They said they don't code in Java, they use their own engine coded in Lua. I don't know if it's on Linux, but they said it won't be on Mac, at least not right away.

It is multiplayer though.

Jasoco

Banned
If it's Lua, they should be using Löve2d. Would be great publicity and 100% cross-platform.

I'm gonna donate for the hell of it. Can't wait to see what comes of it in the end.

Toma

Ah, over for now. Alright, tomorrow again.

Krilekk

Banned

Great stuff you've been doing yesterday, however don't be afraid of the camera. We've seen you anyway when you came into the room to ask for the sprite size and you seemed like a really nice guy. Although I probably wouldn't think you'd be a 2D art genius if I saw you on the street. ;)

Toma

I wish I could run this stream on my tv in the background. Its soothing to see someone working on that.

Additionally: 215k woo.

Haunted

Drinking sparkling wine and celebrating?

Typical weekend at Mojang.
:p

Best of luck!

I wish I could run this stream on my tv in the background. Its soothing to see someone working on that.
That's what I've been doing. No HDMI out or is the TV too far away?

Krilekk

Banned
Actually, it was for 5 million Minecraft sales. Although the amount raised for charity is pretty crazy as well..

And thanks for the well wishings. Today is when it happens!

Hey jeb, add hamsters to Minecraft!!! ;) On a related topic: Did you ever consider or will you ever consider creating a texture pack for Minecraft?

Toma

Actually, it was for 5 million Minecraft sales. Although the amount raised for charity is pretty crazy as well..

And thanks for the well wishings. Today is when it happens!

Ah alright, as crazy as well :) My stream is not loud enough :( Anyway, cant wait for the next game versions.

Krilekk

Banned
Oxeye did something similar last night. But the hair helps. :D Currently the game seems to be just a shoot'em up, haven't seen any RTS elements so far. Also needs a lot of gore. Cloth from mummies flying around, bouncing monocles and vaporized hats. And undead mummy eyeballs following you around for a while after you kill a mummy.

I guess my PC is quite old. The current build runs with 500+ fps on Notch's PC. The Humble Bundle build runs with 31 fps ony my PC with a lot less going on.

Top Bottom