• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mojang creating a game in 60 hours for charity - Humble Bundle Mojam

Jasoco

Banned
Wolfire is the company that makes that Lugaru game I don't like because the models look worse than PlayStation One and the physics are way too floaty. Really don't like that game at all. Hopefully their Mojam game is a bit more fun. (I haven't seen it yet)

And I'm sad that Oxeye doesn't code cross-platform. I'm sad I can't play Colbalt now and won't be able to play their contribution without booting into Windows.

And aside from the ugly grey HUD, Snatch looks really fun and a lot like a top-down Spelunky.

BlueMagic

Wolfire is the company that makes that Lugaru game I don't like because the models look worse than PlayStation One and the physics are way too floaty. Really don't like that game at all. Hopefully their Mojam game is a bit more fun. (I haven't seen it yet)

And I'm sad that Oxeye doesn't code cross-platform. I'm sad I can't play Colbalt now and won't be able to play their contribution without booting into Windows.

And aside from the ugly grey HUD, Snatch looks really fun and a lot like a top-down Spelunky.

Wolfire also is the creator of the Humble Bundle, and of Overgowth (successor of Lugaru, which looks amazing imo).

Blizzard

Banned
Man, it seems like there's no way they'll finish it in an hour, but maybe they'll add more features later? That would be nice.

It LOOKS like their idea is to have a two-player competitive shooter where both players are clearing monsters and setting up turrets, while trying to lay train track through a dungeon? Maybe the person who got the most track down would win. It looks pretty sweet.

BlueMagic

To be fair though, I never trusted that notch would make it on time when he made those Ludum Dare games either, and somehow he did. It's getting really interesting to see how this will turn out.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
415k donations is quite amazing.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Man, it seems like there's no way they'll finish it in an hour, but maybe they'll add more features later? That would be nice.

It LOOKS like their idea is to have a two-player competitive shooter where both players are clearing monsters and setting up turrets, while trying to lay train track through a dungeon? Maybe the person who got the most track down would win. It looks pretty sweet.

What you just described reminds me of the Steam game DETOUR. Fun, but flawed concept.

Blackface

Banned
Truely mind blowing and awesome to watch from start to finish. The Oxeye guys who streamed all last night were the shit. Pulling an all nighter, hyped up on redbulls just coding and dancing to cheesy 80's music.

I hope this event gets the credit it deserves.

Blizzard

Banned
Time's up, $436,097.08, sounds like Notch and others are still feverishly coding for a few more minutes to finish the game. It's for charity so it's ok! :p

Jasoco

Banned
I can't figure out the keys and there doesn't seem to be a key to open a menu.

It even seems a bunch of keys all do the same thing. How do you pick up?

Can't find the last 2 enemies. I did have some minor complaints though:
*When you shoot your gun, the number of enemies goes up a bit, even if you've destroyed all of the enemy spawners, and then goes back

The entity tag doesn't count the enemy in the games, but ALL the objects the game has in memory in that moment. So for this the number goes up when you shoot or jewels appear, every single bullet/sprite counts as an entity. The last two enemies are probably your sprite and that strange "map" tile I find when I played it.

Blizzard

Banned
Ah okay. If they fix that, that would be nice. Also is there any way to lay the track? That screenshot had tracks but I didn't see how to put them down. Is there a win condition?

I think you can use WASD/arrow keys (maybe numpad too) to move, space to shoot, maybe C to shoot as well, and E to pick up or drop items.

Rapstah

Ah okay. If they fix that, that would be nice. Also is there any way to lay the track? That screenshot had tracks but I didn't see how to put them down. Is there a win condition?

I think you can use WASD/arrow keys (maybe numpad too) to move, space to shoot, maybe C to shoot as well, and E to pick up or drop items.

Z to pick up, X to place tracks in addition.

But what are the tracks for?

I have no idea what to do in this game, but it seems like it might be good, I think.

I suppose this will be the final build then? No further bug fixes or tweaks, even if minor?

legacyzero

Banned
I would LOVE Mouse support for this. the one thing I dont like about the controls is that once firing, you can change your directional fire without letting fire go first.

I have no idea what to do in this game, but it seems like it might be good, I think.

I suppose this will be the final build then? No further bug fixes or tweaks, even if minor?
They just uploaded another one.

Dont worry, Mojang doesn't let their games go IE Minecraft.

EDIT: NVM it's a placeholder.

Blizzard

Banned
Mouse support would also be good. I haven't tried the multiplayer either of course.

I'd wait until tomorrow and see if Notch or anyone else posts about potential fixes for the crashes. They already took slightly over the deadline time, so a fix or two would seem reasonable.

Jasoco

Banned

WSAD is for crazy people. I use the directional arrows. They're there for a reason.

The other keys are what I was wondering about. I tried pushing some and didn't notice much change just a lot of shooting. Are the keys customizable yet? I only jumped right into the game. Guess I should relaunch and try looking around the menu.

Venfayth

The three objects at the base with numbers beneath them are functional objects you can pick up and place with Z. Picking them up from your base costs the amount underneath it.

The leftmost object is a turret that shoots at nearby enemies - they are destructible by enemies.

The middle object is a "vacuum" that collects nearby money and gems that enemies drop when killed, it is destructible by enemies and will crash the game when this happens (unless it's fixed.

The right object is a bomb that - when placed - becomes destructible by you and your turrets, and when it dies, will explode and destroy any nearby destructible walls (they have pink gems in the center)

Hitting X when you're adjacent to a track tile will place a track tile on the ground for 10 money. Hitting X when you're on a track tile that isn't a source tile (the two in your base) will remove it. Hitting X when you're on a source track tile (in your base) will purchase a bot that will run up and down the track it's on, they cost 50 money each.

I haven't figured out exactly what they do yet, but they are destructible by you.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
YES. Finally figured it out. Lay tracks to the chalice in the center of the level and have bots collect it's resources. They'll go back to your base and your percent goes up.

superbank

The win screen when you get 100%:

uhBDh.jpg

It would be good if the game randomized where the chalice is and had more than one. I wonder how the multiplayer is?

Toma

the catacomb version isnt the version they played on the stream last, is it? I cant find a way to get my towers on the tracks.

Blizzard

Banned
Catacomb source code is up...

Whoa, does this mean people are allowed to fix and share it? Did they ever fix the crash bugs when things are destroyed, at least?

I just looked at a source code file and I don't see any license comments about distribution, nor any comments from Notch on his Twitter. Maybe someone with the Twitters can ask him or Jeb about it.

superbank

Is it just me or does wolfires game have no ending? I connect the two cars to my train and nothing happens.

Edit: Maybe I have to kill everything after that? That's pretty tough with how slow the train moves when you attach two cars. Also, it's possible for an enemy train to steal your cars and you can't get them back! It happens if the enemy train rams between you and the car. I think David used the same train model with no modifications and didn't even think of that scenario.

Toma

Whoa, does this mean people are allowed to fix and share it? Did they ever fix the crash bugs when things are destroyed, at least?

I just looked at a source code file and I don't see any license comments about distribution, nor any comments from Notch on his Twitter. Maybe someone with the Twitters can ask him or Jeb about it.

Or even expand on it :-o

eldoon

I just wish they inserted some sort of random level generator that changed the map layout and most of all a guide / control / info file with the game.
I dont know what each item does , the goal of the game or even how to buy things and had to look it up online how to buy things, an extra 2 minutes work by someone would of made it easier to get into .

junkboy

Explosion Master Supreme
I just wish they inserted some sort of random level generator that changed the map layout and most of all a guide / control / info file with the game.
I dont know what each item does , the goal of the game or even how to buy things and had to look it up online how to buy things, an extra 2 minutes work by someone would of made it easier to get into .

I hear ya. As a game it's very rudimentary right now and towards the end of a jam like this it's easy to get a bit near sighted in order to get it out on time. A little help file would've made a ton of difference.

With that said I think there's a few of us (myself included) that are willing to give it more polish, so hopefully we can make that happen soon.

Kingven

People from minecraft forums are also working on catacomb fixes... there is already a version with random map selection and bugs fixed...

Top Bottom