• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mom teaches teen son how to shoot heroin, son dies of OD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Searched "Heroin", got nothing. So here we go:
Newz said:
A 46-year-old Burlington mom is in some serious trouble after she allegedly taught her 16-year-old son how to shoot heroin. The teen ended up overdosing and now prosecutors connecting her to the death. Parent of the year award! Thank you Wisconsin for showing us everything we don't want to be in life

Patricia L. Strosina is charged with intentionally contributing to the delinquency of a child resulting in death. She could face 25 years in prison if convicted in connection to her son's Sep. 14 death.

When police found the teen, he was slumped over a desk at his dad's house with a syringe, a burned spoon and other drug paraphernalia. He died of an overdose of heroin and cocaine.

The story of this teen's fall into hard drugs is extremely depressing, especially for any parent who actually cares about their kids.

Several witnesses, including a case worker, told investigators that the teen had been shooting heroin with his mother and that she originally taught him how to do it. She would even bring him along on drug runs and shoot up with him. Witnesses even saw her shoot him up. Strosina admitted to doing drugs with her son and said she used heroin with him a week before his death.
http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2009/10/wis_mom_teaches.php

Weenerz

Banned
Well, I can see where she was wrong, but unless she actually was there with him and was the one that caused the fatal injection, I don't see how she is guilty of much more than being a bad parent and a drug addict.

Are parents that teach their kids about sex at fault if their kids get aids and died?

Kurtofan

Weenerz said:
Well, I can see where she was wrong, but unless she actually was there with him and was the one that caused the fatal injection, I don't see how she is guilty of much more than being a bad parent and a drug addict.

Are parents that teach their kids about sex at fault if their kids get aids and died?
You can't be serious

Ri'Orius

You may say she sounds like a terrible parent, but to me it sounds like she was trying to bond with her son. You know, share each others' interests.

Family board game night? Lame. Family drug night? Awesome!

White Man

Jeez, parents get blamed for delinquent children when they don't spend enough time with them, but they still get blamed when they pursue mutual interests together. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Ryck

talisayNon said:
meh, drugs should still be legal. just tax it.
Nah just keep them illegal that seems to stop this stuff.

If it wasn't drugs it would just be something else... :Mom teaches teen son how to slit wrists" and so on.. its not the drugs or the knives or the guns its people, and people are fucked up.

White Man said:
Jeez, parents get blamed for delinquent children when they don't spend enough time with them, but they still get blamed when they pursue mutual interests together. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
:lol

SUPREME1

Banned
....So the CASE WORKER knew she was doing drugs with him and did nothing?

Remove him from the home?

Have her arrested?

They have access to a wide range of options.... WTF?

F*ck the mom, but f*ck the case worker too.

Roto13

TheRagnCajun said:
Liscence to have kids - it needs to happen. Society has become that dumb.
Yes, because this is an accurate representation of society as a whole. Most parents teach their kids how to OD.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
She would have gotten away with it if it was high fructose corn syrup instead of heroin.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Obviously she was in the wrong and I think we can all agree on that, but she was fucked up. She was a druggy and clearly wasn't thinking straight for the most part. I'm pissed that there were witnesses to a mother shooting up her 16 year old child who did nothing. Why do people just sit on information like this. That boy could still be alive and with a loving foster family if someone had just blown the whistle instead of trying to be cool and not snitching.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
oxrock said:
Obviously she was in the wrong and I think we can all agree on that, but she was fucked up. She was a druggy and clearly wasn't thinking straight for the most part. I'm pissed that there were witnesses to a mother shooting up her 16 year old child who did nothing. Why do people just sit on information like this. That boy could still be alive and with a loving foster family if someone had just blown the whistle instead of trying to be cool and not snitching.

Most likely they are users as well... most users don't use like that in front of non-users.

Al-ibn Kermit

If she wasn't the one who filled the syringe or injected the heroin, then it's going down a slippery slope saying that she caused his death.

If he was 18 and if he filled the syringe and injected himself with the heroin, then the mother obviously wouldn't be legally responsible.

With that in mind, it's pretty hard to make a legal judgment on this. I mean, she is obviously a shitty parent but it's not so clear exactly how she would be at legal fault for this.

way more

Several witnesses, including a case worker, told investigators that the teen had been shooting heroin with his mother and that she originally taught him how to do it.

Way to do your job lady. Why do I assume all case workers are women?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
well. sounds like she was a terrible teacher.

I have always wondered if it's possible to be a 'responsible heroin user'

Like, a functioning, well paid educated person that shoots up the occasional arm load of smack in the evenings to unwind.

Currently I still believe that any and all heroin use leads to a sleeping in a piss soaked basement future, but I gave up that perception of other drugs years ago.

Anyone know a functional smackhead?

xbhaskarx

I'm pretty sure Nico from the Velvet Underground did the same thing to her son, according to the documentary about her.

way more

catfish said:
well. sounds like she was a terrible teacher.

I have always wondered if it's possible to be a 'responsible heroin user'

Like, a functioning, well paid educated person that shoots up the occasional arm load of smack in the evenings to unwind.

Currently I still believe that any and all heroin use leads to a sleeping in a piss soaked basement future, but I gave up that perception of other drugs years ago.

Anyone know a functional smackhead?

I watch a lot of documentaries and I've seen users who are able to; hold a job, have a spouse, and raise children. They are of course poor but plenty of people are poor and not addicts.

I'm sure there are heroin users who beat the drug and I'm sure plenty of people have done it just once. The weekend warriors and such.

I once did group counseling with a 50 year old former crack addict who was witty, smart, charismatic and more responsible than me. After spending more that a year with him and hearing the man talk and converse and defend himself against successful bankers, thoughtful business owners, practical working men and smart students, I realized that the drug can get anyone.

What makes someone functional is just the time frame you view them in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom