• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moment in which you realized game is something special ?

Dontero

Banned
Ace Attorney

When i was right in first case and i was finally getting to the bottom of things, then i finally manged to finally find major clue..
And then this started playing this amazing song in background which perfectly encapsulated what was happening on screen. Just look at whole scene:

Last edited:

keraj37

Dark Forces
There was a level with puzzle to connect corridors - once I manage to pass it I felt rewarded. This game holds special place in my heart.

Shifty

And then this started playing this amazing song in background which perfectly encapsulated what was happening on screen.
The Pursuit / Cornered tune is a brilliant example of a game's elements coming together to reinforce its themes. OBJECTION!

Imma have to think about mine a bit before I post it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Fighting the Sharks in Earthbound. The game starts out with the (at the time) usual suspects of enemies: birds, dogs, snakes, aliens, etc. Then you get into town and start fighting the members of the local gang.

hqdefault.jpg

And you know this isn't going to be your typical RPG game. Later on you get caught doing something illegal, and you have to fight the police

hqdefault.jpg

Which seals the deal for me. I knew from then on this would be a crazy and zany adventure, and it only gets weirder from there. Still one of the best SNES RPG games out there.

nkarafo

Portal.

When i realized this isn't just a puzzle game and that something else is going on. Slowly revealing the real deal and then ending up trying to escape from the facility (while running "behind the scenes") was probably the best gaming moment for me.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Since the intro of Gravity rush have the feeling that this game is Special.

But more is this scene and this episode is the most beautiful and special that i play in my life

3:40:55

All Gravity rush 2,, kat jazz scene

Specially the Final Boss

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Probably when I first encountered the Military in Half-Life, By today's standards the AI is pretty rudimentary, but at the time fighting an NPC enemy that wouldn't just come at you hell for leather ala Doom but would try and flush you out of cover using grenades etc can best be summarized by this series of moving pictures: -

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
jizzed-in-my-pants-gif-1.gif
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Last edited:

Shifty

A recent one for me is Ace Combat 7.

The game does a great job of embodying the romanticized ideal of flight with its storytelling, presentation and soundtrack- it's packed with moments where the gameplay, music and dialogue come together to create a special moment, but Mission 11 is the one that got me:

The map layout is specifically designed so that you start off with a period of flying through the clouds to the sound of calm vocal music and your squad exchanging pre-mission banter as you pick which of the three mission objectives to tackle first.

Said objectives are positioned such that the music kicks itself up a notch just before you reach them and engage, and while simple it's a really cool effect despite the game not employing any dynamic music tech. The soundtrack itself being excellent helps a lot too.

Last edited:

Traianvs

When as a kid I entered in a bar with my friends and there was a coin-op of Sinistar.
The voice samples of the antagonist screaming " Beware! I live!" were at the same time scary and amazing.

In more recent times, my first atmospheric entry in no man's sky. Watching a small planet in the distance, approaching it's atmosphere and finally flying over it's surface, between valleys, mountains and rivers all in a fluid motion without loadings.
That was my dream game as a kid when I played elite and rescue on fractalus with my dad, dreaming of a game where you could point a star in the sky and explore the worlds orbiting her

Last edited:
For me that first moment of 'magic' was when I discovered Space Quest in 1987. Coming strictly from home arcade games, that was a revolution. The second time I experienced that feeling was 'The Longest Journey' in 2002. It was like a Sierra adventure game but so fleshed out in terms of creating a world and atmospheres. Truly a great game and I know many other people agreed with that based on the sales. The third time I had that experience was LIMBO a few years ago.

Last edited:

Wimbledon

Halo

i had played games before Halo. But when i played halo CE for the first time , my mind was blown i couldn't understand First person, it was all so confusing for me. I got lost in a sci-fi world that i didn't want to wake up from. That was when it clicked how great video games actually are and can become.

It was introduced to me when i was in Daycare to young to play it, but teacher was able to get a room for everyone so that everyone could play it. Alot of matches being played and just marveling at the spectacle of it, specifically when you first landed on Halo.

I don't know why Mario 64, Ape escape, donkey Kong country, Street fighter didn't click with me but Halo did , it's still my favorite video game franchise to date.

Probably when I first encountered the Military in Half-Life, By today's standards the AI is pretty rudimentary, but at the time fighting an NPC enemy that wouldn't just come at you hell for leather ala Doom but would try and flush you out of cover using grenades etc can best be summarized by this series of moving pictures: -

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

jizzed-in-my-pants-gif-1.gif

giphy-downsized-large.gif

5-Gif Chainlink Combo

Very impressive

TacosNSalsa

While I knew it was special since the beginning this one line kicked it into the stratosphere
"Not die my ass. That bitch slap nearly killed me."

KOTOR 1, I forgot which planet it was, but when you visit the underground slums, the locals tell you about this area that has been closed off due to being infested with mutant creatures. Once you manage to make it out alive, it shows a cutscene with the monsters chasing after you. It's nothing special nowadays but at the time it was great. I got goosebumps.

Another good one from KOTOR was the confrontation with the powerful bounty hunter at a bar. Never experienced such emotions during a game before.

molasar

Banned
When you get into a trance state playing Hotline Miami.

Another one when Cyborg Ninja attacks Revolver Ocelot in Metal Gear Solid 1998 besides gameplay and audio-visual presentation.

Some more:
- digitized actors, blood and fatalities in Mortal Kombat 1992,
- innovative graphics, combo system, sounds and music in Killer Instinct 1994-95,
- intro and the whole atmosphere of horror in Resident Evil 1996,
- combination of 2D and 3d graphics, adult oriented story in Xenogears 1998.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Resident Evil 4. I booted it up and found the over the shoulder camera really disorienting, so I shut it off and played something else for a bit. I didn't play it for a few days I think, but once I stated it again, I couldn't put it down. I realized it was something special when I got to the end and realized I didn't want it to be over, so I immediately started a new game plus and played it straight through again. And then again. And then again.

I don't care about beating games. Killing the final boss or seeing the end credits is not a reward for me, and I don't beat very many games. Of the games I do beat, I almost never play them a second time.

I probably played through Resident Evil 4 20 times. I still get the itch to play again every once in a while. I've even started from scratch more than once, starting on regular mode, then playing through Pro, then getting high scores on The Mercenaries and playing trough Pro again with all the goodies. When I saw it had been released for the PS4, I bough it a second time with no hesitation. No other game has been so much fun for so long so many times.

appaws

Banned
Coming out of the sewers for the first time in Oblivion. It was just a wow moment to look around that big world.

Last edited:

KINDERFELD

Banned
For me it was playing as a sorcerer in Dragon's Dogma.
I felt like the stars had aligned and given us the way magic should be handled in an ARPG.
To this day, nothing else has even come close.

Also my first Oblivion gate.
I was flawed!

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
I know I'm a broken record but...

The combo with that music and that dark caribbean atmosphere blew me away. I knew I was in front of something special.

Another one I can think of: the incredible freedom of Daggerfall. And its insane magic creation system (FU Bethesda for dumbing it down).

Also, agree on HL1 AI. Better than HL2's. And better than some we have today. I remember marines trying to flush me out of cover with granades and going around the room while shooting for cover. When I died and changed tactic... they changed their tactics too. It was mind blowing.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Dang, you GAFers have good taste.

This is a long list of games for me. I guess I'll start off with Magical Drop 3.

A good friend introduced me to the game on his Neo Geo MVS cab. I take the 2p spot, our Versus match begins, and within 10 seconds I've lost the first match. The second match didn't last any longer.

I hadn't been trounced that hard in any game since Street Fighter II in the 90s. I was hooked.

At that point of my life, I enjoyed a few other Vs Puzzle games and competitive arcade games in general, but Magical Drop 3 completely floored me by its simplicity + speed. It is a cruel, cruel game where a gap in skill between the players becomes immediately apparent. Similar to Tetris Attack / Panel de Pon, Magical Drop 3 allows you to add more bubbles mid-combo during a brief window of time. You can also manually add bubbles to yourself, so the good players will often overstack their own playing field and then clear it for a huge offensive attack.

If you look at the column between players, there's also a line tally. The first player to clear 300 lines automatically wins, in the event that a player isn't killed beforehand. Kills are far more common, but if you actually beat someone (or get beaten) by line count, you're likely playing against someone near your own skill level.

(an example of some high chains; timestamped at 8:55)

EDIT: as an aside, I should say this game jumpstarted my fondness of Vs Puzzle games. After MD3, I fell in love with others like Landmaker, Money Puzzle Exchanger, and Cleopatra's Fortune.

Last edited:

Shifty

I guess I'll start off with Magical Drop 3.
Huh, I didn't realise inverted well puzzlers were that common. I've played Money Puzzle Exchanger and the one built into EXAPUNKS, but this one is new to me.

(an example of some high chains; timestamped at 8:55)
That purple haired girl's constant ojou-sama laugh seems like it'd be a crucial element of the competetive meta.

What better way to throw your opponent off their game? :messenger_tongue:

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Huh, I didn't realise inverted well puzzlers were that common. I've played Money Puzzle Exchanger and the one built into EXAPUNKS, but this one is new to me.
It's best as a Vs game, but the CPU mode is fun. Well worth playing. You're missing out if you don't have some Magical Drop in your life. Also, it is simpler than Tetris, so it can be played by almost anyone of any age. It is the quintessential "casual game". There is no depth, but the mechanics can be pushed to their limits with speed and a bit of cleverness.

That purple haired girl's constant ojou-sama laugh seems like it'd be a crucial element of the competetive meta.

What better way to throw your opponent off their game? :messenger_tongue:
Oh, the devs were definitely aware of the meta, especially the "sexy opponent" element of fighting games. Magical Drop did give us World (a.k.a fairy bounce), after all:

83c.gif
1249858665908.gif
1249858725058.gif
'

The greentext stories write themselves.

> be 13
> opponent picks World
> I feel my blood rising...

But in all seriousness, the cast of characters are among Data East's best. Each is dripping with personality and charm. It's my favorite Data East game/series of all time, and that's saying a lot.

Last edited:

xandaca

Arriving for the first time on the beach of Sylvalum in Xenoblade Chronicles X was genuinely breathtaking for me. The game's environments are generally very well designed, but Sylvalum's otherworldliness is uniquely strange and eerily beautiful. Very underrated game.

Barnabot

A recent one for me is Ace Combat 7.

The game does a great job of embodying the romanticized ideal of flight with its storytelling, presentation and soundtrack- it's packed with moments where the gameplay, music and dialogue come together to create a special moment, but Mission 11 is the one that got me:

The map layout is specifically designed so that you start off with a period of flying through the clouds to the sound of calm vocal music and your squad exchanging pre-mission banter as you pick which of the three mission objectives to tackle first.

Said objectives are positioned such that the music kicks itself up a notch just before you reach them and engage, and while simple it's a really cool effect despite the game not employing any dynamic music tech. The soundtrack itself being excellent helps a lot too.

You only started liking this game because of mission 11? Solitaire now!

Shifty

Magical Drop did give us World (a.k.a fairy bounce), after all:

83c.gif
1249858665908.gif
1249858725058.gif
Whoa, I remember seeing this on forums all across the land back in the day, though maybe minus the third eye.

It all makes sense now. The horny young people are everywhere.

6360726301274031441719231775_I-need-maths-in-my-life.gif

You only started liking this game because of mission 11? Solitaire now!
Nah, I think I liked it as soon as I heard "...dark blue" and realised the level of wonderfully japanese localized melodrama I was getting myself into.

Mission 11 just happens to be a standout for that music :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:
Chrono Trigger when you get the Epoch and the size of the game reveales itself. I played it first as an adult and I was impressed still. Such an adventure.

BlackTron

Halo

i had played games before Halo. But when i played halo CE for the first time , my mind was blown i couldn't understand First person, it was all so confusing for me. I got lost in a sci-fi world that i didn't want to wake up from. That was when it clicked how great video games actually are and can become.

It was introduced to me when i was in Daycare to young to play it, but teacher was able to get a room for everyone so that everyone could play it. Alot of matches being played and just marveling at the spectacle of it, specifically when you first landed on Halo.

I don't know why Mario 64, Ape escape, donkey Kong country, Street fighter didn't click with me but Halo did , it's still my favorite video game franchise to date.

You were in daycare, and the teacher had you playing Halo in a side room?

Yeap. Sounds legit.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Booting up Persona 4 Golden. I knew I was on a journey to the feels.

The PS2 Ratchet and Clank games. Blowing things up and travelling through space.

In FFX-2 when they did that charlie's angel sequence.

FFIX
When we kidnapped the princess and the game starts to open up.
The characters were amazing.

NeiR Automata umm...Hard to pinpoint really but it's a bit.

The over-the-top-ness of the Yakuza series.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Back in the 80s when my siblings and I played games on Apple. We all played games, but only some had all of us playing. Some of us like me would try just about anything, but one bro only played twitchy games you'd find in the arcades. I don't think he ever played one RPG or point and click game ever. He'd rather go to an arcade and play Defender.

Special times were when all of us played and competed for best scores...... things like that old ass game Microsoft Decathlon on Apple II, various arcade clone games or Summer Games.

Great thing too is that back then it was all about local MP. Hot seat gaming.

The only one left who plays video games is me (I'm the youngest), but those were fun times back then.

Wimbledon

You were in daycare, and the teacher had you playing Halo in a side room?

Yeap. Sounds legit.

You said side room, not me. lol

Yeah i was in elementary school, i think 4th or 5th grade i think. I went to the YMCA, both my parents were pretty busy so they had me to go to YMCA. I played halo when i was like 9 or 10 i believe and i just remember the teacher setting up the TVs cause he bought multiple copies. All the middle schoolers , who knew what halo was setting up the couches getting ready to play.

They let us come in and play the game well mostly just watch it, then we were allowed to play multiplayer we had maybe 20 people in a cramped room playing halo. Great times, then my parents got me the Xbox and i got Halo the next year in march and got to play it fully for myself.

But i played halo at home and the YMCA, we had tournaments all the time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom