• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monado: Beginning of the World - a Wii RPG by those Monolithsoft dudes

Piano

Banned
So it appears that Nintendo's developing a first party RPG and didn't feel the need to mention it at their press conference...or tell anybody at all. All of these screen shots are off of the Nintendo Press Site, which also has a very nice trailer

Trailer uploaded to YouTube by Metal.

rvl_monado_01ss01_e3499.png

rvl_monado_01ss02_e3455.png

rvl_monado_01ss03_e3374.png

rvl_monado_02ss01_e3558.png

rvl_monado_02ss02_e3659.png

rvl_monado_02ss03_e3665.png

rvl_monado_02ss04_e3125.png

rvl_monado_02ss05_e3405.png

rvl_monado_02ss06_e3605.png

rvl_monado_02ss07_e3647.png

Discuss.

RJT

Hum.. Could work with Motion+... But why the hell didn't they mention this at the press conference?

Nintendo's marketing is a fucking case study. They can get difficult things right, but they always miss the obvious stuff...

Banned
That trailer and the overall tone of their conference doesn't really mix, I can see why they didn't show it.

It would have been overshadowed by Crystal beares anyway

See, that's what I'm saying.

If they had shown trailers or footage of all of their games, including this and S&P and Zelda DS and perhaps some things they'll announce later on during E3, PLUS all the best third party efforts for Wii and DS, they could've matched MS' conference. Instead they focused on shitty marketing and sales talk, something that gaf doesn't interest. Even sales age is watching these conferences for the actual games and not the numbers.

But perhaps Nintendo's conference is not primarily targeted at the gaf crowd anyway...so yeah.

RJT

That trailer and the overall tone of their conference doesn't really mix, I can see why they didn't show it.

It would have been overshadowed by Crystal beares anyway
We all knew about Crystal Bearers, and saw the trailers at their website weeks agoa. No one reacted to the conference trailer.

Something like a new RPG IP from Monolith? That would be a surprise announcement.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I just heard that there is a Miyamato conference tonight. Maybe they will show that tonight. I haven't heard if it was true or not. Didn't Nintendo reveal Brawl post-conference a couple of years back?

pulga

Banned
I guess the circle shadows were embarrassing them so they decided to hold out. Looks interesting enough, want more info! Silly Nintendo, always making us freak out for fun :lol

Yossarian

Looks pretty generic. Young tween protagonist with a super-cool, large sword. Lemme guess, I bet crystals are involved somehow.

All joking aside, shadows are actually the some of the last graphical effects added to a game. I wouldn't be surprised if they change it. Brawl didn't have shadows when it was first shown.

Cedille

B.K. said:
If it is by Monolithsoft and from the Soma Bringer team, it's most likely Mitsuda.

Mitsuda can hardly be as generic like this, but yeah, perhaps Procyon studio members co-compose this.

Ainaurdur

Watching the video makes me want to wait and see more of it. Maybe it seems a bit generic right now, but it might surprise us.

And yes, I thought the blond looked a bit like Vaan the moment I saw him in this pic:
rvl_monado_01ss01_e3499.png

thefro

looks fairly nice in motion... good looking environments... definitely a heavy FF12 influence. Could be pretty cool.

elrohir

Neo Member
the character design looks like a mix between magna carta and FFXII...which is not that bad. The girl looks a bit strange...and the graphics are pretty outdated. but i'm glad, nintendo is working on a classic rpg.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Teknoman said:
Why did Nintendo not show this?
To steal thunder from the Sony conference as it goes on so that internet forums discuss all this new stuff instead?

Seriously though, they've done this in the past so it's not too big a surprise. If it wasn't for trying to market stuff to the other people the hardcore don't care about (mainstream press is there and all), they'd likely mention all the stuff they just released info on.

Arde5643

Interesting - are they using a mix of real time and turn based battle there?

Putting in my "need to know more" list for now.

Boerseun

Banned
Oh man, that trailer is gorgeous! I'm psyched!

darkwings said:
should made Baten Kaitos 3 instead

I reckon we'll see a return to Baten Kaitos someday. That world, the characters, the awesome battle system, the great stories - it's all just too good to let it gather dust.

ivysaur12

Banned
AntMurda said:
DEVELOPED BY MONOLITHSOFT. CONFIRMED!!

YES!

darkwings said:
should made Baten Kaitos 3 instead

*sigh* This too. Too bad we'll most likely never see another Baten Kaitos game (though I wonder if this is from the Xeno/Soma team. If so, what the BK/Disaster people are up to?)

bdouble

Cygnus X-1 said:
Nintendo is as dumb as a Deku. Why haven't they showed this one?!?? It looks great in motion!
Maybe just maybe they assumed that he people who care about it (GAF and the enthusiast press) will see it anyways. Same as last E3. They don't want to waste TNYT, Time, Newsweek and others time by showing a game they don't give a rats ass about and can't write about.

think about it. Everything that they did show we pretty much knew about months ago when press releases or something got out. For the audience at E3 a lot of that shit was new and the things that were new to us as well included the names Mario and Metroid. Notice how they didn't show S&P2 but its also on the show floor?

Neo C.

Souldriver said:
But perhaps Nintendo's conference is not primarily targeted at the gaf crowd anyway...so yeah.
After 5 conferences (2005-2009) you guys should know how Nintendo does the things.:lol

Boerseun

Banned
I've watched that trailer several times now.

Keep your eyes on the background during the in-game bits. The art design really is fantastic, and made all the more so by the impressive draw distance.

ivysaur12

Banned
IGN put up a preview (just a summary of the trailer where they try to sound like they know what they are talking about), which has this awesome line in it:

Much of the text is still in what looks like Korean, so this hasn't localized for American eyes quite yet. When it does, we'll head back to the beginning for more.

Come on, IGN. You run a videogame website. You should be able to at least tell the difference between Japanese and Korean from seeing Japanese so often.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/989/989567p1.html

Top Bottom