• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monmouth University finds that 7% of voters have ended friendships over 2016 election

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/MonmouthPoll_US_092816/

nKdummm.jpg

2016 Brought Out Worst in People
Wednesday, September 28, 2016
Seven percent report ending friendship over presidential race

West Long Branch, NJ - More than 2-in-3 voters say that this year's presidential race has brought out the worst in people and most disapprove of the campaign's harsh rhetoric. The latest Monmouth University Poll also finds that "dissatisfaction" rather than "anger" is the word that better characterizes voters' feelings about the federal government. Poll results also show that opinion on terrorism has not changed much even after the recent bombings in New York and New Jersey.

"Half of Trump supporters seem to be saying let the expletives fly, but many voters blame both sides equally for the negative tone of this year's campaign," said Patrick Murray, director of the independent Monmouth University Polling Institute.

When asked who tends to engage in harsh language more, half of voters (50%) put the blame equally on both Trump and Clinton supporters. However, 37% say more of this language is coming from the Trump camp and just 11% say the Clinton camp is more to blame. Not surprisingly, most Clinton backers (68%) put the blame on the Trump crowd with 28% blaming both sides equally. Trump backers, though, are more likely to blame both candidates equally (67%) rather than point the finger at Clinton supporters (23%).

More at the link.

I actually suspect the number is much higher than this.

Have you ended friendships over this election gaf?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I am not friends with Trump supporters, so no I have not ended friendships over this election.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I wouldn't end a friendship over politics but I would over racism or the tacit and implicit support of such.

I ended a friendship over an asshole that threw the N word around like it was nothing. Called me an SJW when I called him out. Wouldn't be surprised if he was voting for Trump too.

Piece of shit he was.

Jacob

One of my more casual friends stopped speaking to our whole circle of mutual acquaintances for a few months because of some persistent though (IMO) fairly mild criticisms of Trump, but he's since become disillusioned with Trump and started talking to us again. The only other Trump supporter who I know reasonably well is an uncle who's very pro-Trump but he's gotten behind lots of other odious political groups and individuals in the past which is one of the reasons why I steer clear of him as much as possible. Nearly all of my conservative friends have been anti-Trump since he entered the race or shortly thereafter.

An old school friend finally unfriended me after the Canadian election after my cheerful posts about Liberal's squashing the Conservatives.

They guy's entire wall was loaded with cheerleading and fearmongering for Harper for months, wasn't surprised to see pictures of him with Harper's family. So yeah.

I wouldn't end any friendships over it. I live in Kansas. I'd be kicking family off too. I'm sure I've filled more than a few with rage over my comments though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Someone told me they were voting for Jill Stein and I have not talked to them since...

All the conservatives I know claim to be either staying home, going with Gary, or maybe, just maybe holding their nose for Hillary.

I believe most of them.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I have to say i havent drawn a hard line but someone i once thought was intelligent and shared my same interests has become very distant to me once i learned he loves Trump. I simply cant understand it. He is hispanic too. Some people just cant be helped. I like, have no friends either, so that was a big blow to my nonexistent social life.

Breads

Banned
I have both ended friendships and dropped clients/ work from people who openly support Trump.

Thanks twitter/ facebook for making it easy to cut the bad people from my life without even having to confront them about their shitty views.

I would not end a friendship over someone voting for Trump or Hillary. They have a right to vote and they can vote for anyone they choose. I would question their vote decision making process as to how they reached their final choice, but that's about it.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well not specifically over Trump, but I've pretty much ghosted a friend after he and his family decided black people all deserved to get shot and they would've been fine if they listened to authority. And this is after watching video of police brutality, admitting it was murder, and justifying it cuz cops could never be wrong.

I wouldn't end a friendship over politics but I would over racism or the tacit and implicit support of such.

My friend went on a post-debate rant about how Trump is gonna save us.

Didn't write her off.

But then she said "every other Hillary voter just like you", and that is where we had to part ways.

Geist-

I disabled my facebook after it became certain Trump and Clinton were the candidates precisely for this reason.

Tagyhag

I'm afraid of looking at my Facebook but I'm hoping my friends know better.

I didn't have a problem when I knew that some were voting for Romney, but Trump is a different beast.

If you're voting for Trump, as a female minority, you're just saying you don't give a shit about me, how could we be friends then?

Still have "friends" like this. Anything bad about Clinton? "See? She's the devil....KILLARY". Anything bad Trump? "Killary is worse!!"

Sydle

I have to admit that if I found out any of my friends were supporters of Trump that I would definitely end my friendship with them, right after I went off on them for being such an idiot. Anyone who supports his values (sexist, racist, homophobic, xenophobic) is just showing their true colors.

Morts

I've actively avoided any political discussion at work since I'd rather remain ignorant of everyone's views and not risk losing respect for anyone.

I've actively avoided any political discussion at work since I'd rather remain ignorant of everyone's views and not risk losing respect for anyone.

I tried that.

But apparently some people think that only they are allowed to make fun of "their" candidate.

Where I am, every TRUMP bumper sticker also comes with a HILLARY FOR PRISON bumper sticker on the other side of the trunk.

I look forward to seeing who in my neighborhood is bold enough to put a TRUMP flag in their lawn.

massoluk

Banned
Haven't ended a relationship yet over 2016 election, but I'm scared how much one of my close family members got brainwashed by Trump supporters ("There are two sides to everything" "That's just the media" "He's a successful businessman").

Considering unfriending a dude I knew who was 9/11 truther, but that guy is still cool otherwise and mostly harmless.

Dirca

No because that's fucking stupid. If you ended a friendship over the election, then you really weren't friends with the person. I have die hard liberal friends (nobody's perfect) that are life long friends. I bash Hillary like no tomorrow and he lectures me about a Trump vote by means of voting for Johnson. No harm, no foul. I wouldn't dream of ending a true friendship over something as trivial. Politics (or religion/lack thereof) that is.

Big One

Banned
Eh no. Most Trump supporters are good people at heart but are just ignorant on things. I can't fault them for that.

I wouldn't do this. I might unfollow someone on Twitter or Facebook over their incessant political posts, but I really do that for all political stripes. To me, it's not so much about the political nature of their posts more than it is if someone is annoyingly into something so partisan. E.g., if they were posting about their favorite gaming console incessantly, or their preferred pickup truck company incessantly, or politics incessantly, I'm liking to stop following them.

It seems like I follow almost noone on Facebook who is voting for Trump, but I also think that's Facebook's algorithm filtering out that content as well because they know it doesn't appeal to me.

I've ended a friendship. Not necessarily over the election but because a friend was getting more and more aggressive/overt with his racism.

Used to, it was just racially insensitive comments that he'd apologize for, diet racism.

Now, he's pretty bad about it. Told him I couldn't deal with it anymore.

Worst part is...he's a cop. :/

I've cut off contact with a few others over the course of the last 12 months, though nothing as bad and as scorched earth as the above. I just got tired of the low-key racism exhibited by people I grew up with.

I just got tired of being "one of the good ones" to them (I'm Hispanic).

I got in a fight with brother because I caught him and my father spewing some racist pro-Trump bullshit. I should clarify and say it was a one-sided fight in that I essentially let him punch me a dozen times in the chest, because I didn't trust him ass not to try and snap my neck or some some wild shit like that if I actually bothered to fight back.

I never liked him anyways, but this got it out in the open.

The Lamp

I live in Texas, full of white evangelicals that as a result of this election would rather vote Trump than Hillary.

So yeah, I have strained a lot of friendships. People don't want to listen to me explaining why Hillary is a better option than Trump or Johnson anymore.

I don't really care. If you're a Trump supporter, you're either a horrendous person with horrendous morals, or you're ignorant and uneducated about the things he has done and said, and neither of those outcomes are people I want to associate with in life.

Im not voting for trump, but ive seen alot of anger and resentment towards eachother this election and it fucking sucks. My dad and sister are no longet speaking. My friend group lost some people. All over fucking politics, im sorry but i dont hate or want to dissasociate with anyone for choosing to vote for a different canidate than myself. Not all trump supporters are biggots and not all hillary supporters are out to steal your guns. I agree, this election has brought out the worst in people. At this point its like ripping off a bandaid, i just want people to stop hating eachother just a little less, and the fact that now we cant see other people past their political leanings and the conclusions we jump to because of that is fucking sad.

lol sure, "both sides are equally to blame"

Just because one side isnt known for supporting a biggoted ass hole doesnt mean they arent guilty of short sightedness and irrational hatred either

Im not voting for trump, but ive seen alot of anger and resentment towards eachother this election and it fucking sucks. My dad and sister are no longet speaking. My friend group lost some people. All over fucking politics, im sorry but i dont hate or want to dissasociate with anyone for choosing to vote for a different canidate than myself. Not all trump supporters are biggots and not all hillary supporters are out to steal your guns. I agree, this election has brought out the worst in people. At this point its like ripping off a bandaid, i just want people to stop hating eachother just a little less, and the fact that now we cant see other people past their political leanings and the conclusions we jump to because of that is fucking sad.

Just because one side isnt known for supporting a bigoted ass hole doesnt mean they arent guilty of short sightedness and irrational hatred either

Not all trump supporters are racist or bigots but by supporting or voting for him that person is supporting trumps racist and bigoted views and policies.

HylianTom

Banned
Not all trump supporters are racist or bigots but by supporting or voting for him that person is supporting trumps racist and bigoted views and policies.

The line between "being a bigot" and "being okay with bigotry" is pretty damn thin.

And I'm astonished that, even after all of this time, people don't get this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom