• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monmouth University finds that 7% of voters have ended friendships over 2016 election

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the most fascinating social media reversal this election has been my white evangelical christian acquaintances now openly endorsing an atheist for president; meanwhile, I'm stuck as an atheist supporting the only religious candidate this year.

Seems amusing at first, but Chavismo was no joke in terms of tearing Venezuela in half to the point that you were looking for trouble if you talked politics at your job.

I think the most fascinating social media reversal this election has been my white evangelical christian acquaintances now openly endorsing an atheist for president; meanwhile, I'm stuck as an atheist supporting the only religious candidate this year.
I really want to see some evangelical support for Hillary. She deserves it far more than Trump does.

Vyrance

I live in Florida, we basiclally yell at each other at parties, tell each other we hate everyone else, then make up the next day. It's exhausting being in a battleground state

I haven't ended any friendships over this election yet. I have questioned if I really knew some people though.

Like there is one friend who I knew for 20+ years that told me that he was a Trump supporter. He's introduced me to a bunch of his friends that I barely knew and they are Trump supporters who say some really gross things. And I don't really like them much, but I'm not sure how to tell my friend that without upsetting him.

gblues

Banned
None of my friends are Trump supporters, so no actual friendships lost.

I did boot a handful of acquaintances though.

I got rid of one guy but not because of who he was voting for, it was because he revealed that he legitimately believed that Obama was a secret Muslim and that's why he wasn't fighting ISIS very hard and that's why we needed Ted Cruz for president. I try to tolerate being 'friends' with racists and sexists just so that I can call them out on their bullshit and fact check everything they post to facebook (I've successfully gotten some of them to delete posts or stop posting out of sheer embarrassment). But I cannot tolerate conspiracy theorists, particularly when their amazing conspiracy, even if true, would still be fucking nothing.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I got rid of one guy but not because of who he was voting for, it was because he revealed that he legitimately believed that Obama was a secret Muslim and that's why he wasn't fighting ISIS very hard and that's why we needed Ted Cruz for president. I try to tolerate being 'friends' with racists and sexists just so that I can call them out on their bullshit and fact check everything they post to facebook (I've successfully gotten some of them to delete posts or stop posting out of sheer embarrassment). But I cannot tolerate conspiracy theorists, particularly when their amazing conspiracy, even if true, would still be fucking nothing.

Lol I called out a cousin in law multiple times on FB and he went through the trouble of deleting his posts and then deactivating his account altogether.

Lol I called out a cousin in law multiple times on FB and he went through the trouble of deleting his posts and then deactivating his account altogether.

It's a good way of keeping score. I know I've won if the post disappears or my final comment ends the discussion.

daveo42

Banned
Most of my friends are voting for Gary Johnson because of course Hillary and Donald are two sides of the same coin or whatever and Libertarian ideals are the best thing for everyone since forever, but no I haven't. I tend to stray away from political talk with most friends and family because they are mostly christian conservative and libertarian. No real changing their minds on most of that.

I will totally call out someone voting for Trump tho. Fuck those people and fuck that guy.

I try my absolute best to not judge people based on their political leanings... but man is it hard to not lose respect for an educated adult that supports Trump.

One of my oldest friends went from Bernie or Bust to full-on Jill Stein, "this election is rigged", supporter and I basically haven't talked to her in 6 months because there's just no way to engage with her without it coming up. She has basically decided fracking is more important than civil rights (real quote) and for me it became an issue of not wanting to have a giant fight and just letting things fade.

Got family that is unfortunately voting Trump.

Would never cut them off over it, but I'll be glad when the election is over.

If I discovered a friend is supporting the same candidate that the KKK, Aryan Nation, and others terrible groups then yeah, we're not cool anymore. I hold a higher standard than being pals with bigots.

SeanTSC

I am not friends with Trump supporters, so no I have not ended friendships over this election.

I have a friend who thinks that Hillary and Trump are both roughly equally scummy and that Trump's insane policies wouldn't actually make anything worse than she would. He doesn't do the whole "both parties are the same" bullshit, just insists that they're both terrible for completely different reasons, which is slightly better I suppose.

I think he's totally wrong and a little nuts and he knows it, but we're still friends. At least we both agree that the TPP is vile and evil as shit.

Thankfully no Trump supporters in my immediate family or circle of friends. I'm glad to be on the West Coast.

I wouldn't end a friendship over something like this but I can't imagine me being able to get along with a Trump supporter on a wide variety of topics - particularly race which is a deal breaker for me when it comes to relationships of any sort.

"Friends who want to stay friends don't talk about religion or politics."
Then they're not true friends. Friends discuss a lot of stuff with each other, and politics is invariably going to play in discussions.

If politics is what breaks your friendship, it wasn't worth much. I'm glad politics brings out a person's real values, so it's a good test whether you want to stay friends with someone like if he/she supports a racist/sexist bigot.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
How am I supposed to have respect for a person when they want someone to be president who thinks I'm a rapist? Whose whole campaign started on the platform that I'm a horrible person who is ruining this country?

IrishNinja

i imagine that # will go higher

a month or so back, my half-brother deleted me from FB & cut me off for rebutting his #alllivesmatter shit, which saved me from knowing i'd have to duck or block his trump propaganda anyway. in the time since, i've noticed sharing BLM stuff got me deleted from a few other friends, and i cannot imagine that being a great loss, either.

really, people stop talking to each other over lesser things.

i've unfriended the handful of trump supporters that were on my list, some specifically for supporting him (with everything that implies) and some for slowly turning into racist shitbags otherwise

(literally everyone else is just gonna stay on there forever)

benjipwns

Banned
There's a context I need here. What's comparable numbers for past elections? What if 7% is half the normal amount?

benjipwns

Banned
7% of voters report having lost or ended a friendship because of this year's presidential race. This includes 9% of Clinton supporters, 6% of Trump backers, and 3% of other voters.
Non supporters of The Party friendliest confirmed!

"This is not that unusual though - 7% of voters say they have lost friendships over political campaigns in the past."

Normal apparently.
They say that now.

Dominator

I have a friend who hates most of my other friends (also his friends) political views because he believes they are "brainwashed by the biased left media outlets, like CNN and MSNBC". If they support Hillary, they are brainwashed and feeble minded.

He wouldn't not be your friend, but he tells you straight up if he thinks you're being an idiot with political views.

Its funny, because he doesn't realize the irony of the fact that he's "brainwashed" by the rights online media sites which he uses as his "facts" to counter arguments. Oh yeah, he only deals with "facts".

He supports Trump fully and thinks Hillary is scum of the earth. Oh well, I'm not gonna throw the friendship away. I really have no big interest in politics and only observe his behavior when with others.

Future

I have Muslim friends and a Latina wife. Little patience with anyone defending trump to my face. On Civil rights there is only one correct side of history proven time and time again.

Then they're not true friends. Friends discuss a lot of stuff with each other, and politics is invariably going to play in discussions.

If politics is what breaks your friendship, it wasn't worth much. I'm glad politics brings out a person's real values, so it's a good test whether you want to stay friends with someone like if he/she supports a racist/sexist bigot.

Considering a little under half of the country supports Trump, if you're American it means there's a chance you'll 'lose' a little under half of your friends and family.

Fox Mulder

It's pretty closed minded to cut off friends and family for voting differently than you.

I know trump supporters, but they haven't signed up for the KKK yet. They were already Republicans that just don't want another Democrat or their supreme Court nominees. Trump is their only option now in our glorious two party system.

Nightbird

If your friendship is one that can be ended trough political discussions, i would say it wasn't a good friendship to begin with

benjipwns

Banned
It's pretty closed minded to cut off friends and family for voting differently than you.
If your friendship is one that can be ended trough political discussions, i would say it wasn't a good friendship to begin with
It's a good excuse to dump friends you wanted to get rid of anyway and make yourself look principled though.

In fact...going on Facebook right now to denounce everyone voting in this election.

blackflag

I severed friendships with most of my friends. I can't be friends with racists trump supporting shit bags.

Not talking to family right now either.

Merrymint

Honestly, I'm not sure. I caught up with a friend a few weeks ago(via text) and we were chatting it up. She brings up how she's not political, but both candidates suck. and shows me a meme with Bill Clinton in it. It says "I chose other women over Hillary, you should to." and she said it was hilarious. Later goes on to say that "this is the most interested she's been in elections." And called Hillary a sneaky liar and trump a joke.

So I type this long ass message about how I've been following Hillary for as long as i can remember, and she's nothing near trumps level of grossness. In fact to me not even close. And how her policies reflect what i'm looking for in a candidate. I'm paraphrasing here, and no reply back.

She texted me back a month later, and talked about how Hillary is a liar because she got caught, and sent me a ton more Bill Clinton memes. I mention a slew of other politicians that have done worse(than Hillary ever has), and how its hypocritical to just lump her as the 'sneaky liar.' She hasn't texted/or facebooked me back since September 17th. To be honest I'm not worried about it, but do you guys think this friendship is over? So we're clear I have no problem with having friends in any political party.

sorry this looks a mess, I haven't slept and its messing with me.

Honestly, I'm not sure. I caught up with a friend a few weeks ago(via text) and we were chatting it up. She brings up how she's not political, but both candidates suck. and shows me a meme with Bill Clinton in it. It says "I chose other women over Hillary, you should to." and she said it was hilarious. Later goes on to say that "this is the most interested she's been in elections." And called Hillary a sneaky liar and trump a joke.

So I type this long ass message about how I've been following Hillary for as long as i can remember, and she's nothing near trumps level of grossness. In fact to me not even close. And how her policies reflect what i'm looking for in a candidate. I'm paraphrasing here, and no reply back.

She texted me back a month later, and talked about how Hillary is a liar because she got caught, and sent me a ton more Bill Clinton memes. I mention a slew of other politicians that have done worse(than Hillary ever has), and how its hypocritical to just lump her as the 'sneaky liar.' She hasn't texted/or facebooked me back since September 17th. To be honest I'm not worried about it, but do you guys think this friendship is over? So we're clear I have no problem with having friends in any political party.

sorry this looks a mess, I haven't slept and its messing with me.

Why are you losing sleep over this? Is she close? Do you like her? :p

Merrymint

Why are you losing sleep over this? Is she close? Do you like her? :p

If he/she does they pretty much should be thankful for dodging that bullet

Oh I literally can't sleep, I said above I was fine with whatever her issue is. If our friendship is over because I'm honest its cool.

I'm not typing too well tonight due to lack of sleep. I assure you I'm not losing sleep over this though. Sorry for the misunderstanding. lack of sleep was what was messing with me.

darkace

Banned
I can't imagine losing a friendship over politics. I don't think I believe in anything strongly enough to impact my relationship with somebody.

Kimawolf

I lost a friend during the primaries. He was a huge Hilary supporter and i was absolutely for Bernie.

He began taking a super condescending attitude and accusing me of voting against my own interests. Then whwn the talk of misogyny and patriarchy began my eyes couldn't roll hard enough.

I told him after that its probably best we dont talk about politics. He got his feelings hurt by that and we never talked again.

Funny enough me and my cousin also got into it. She is a huge Bernie fan and we even went to his rally together. Once he dropped out i told her im voting for Clinton. You would think I killed our grandma. She swore change can't come from a establishment player and I should vote foe fucking jill stein.

Not surprised at all and I oberserve a similar development in Germany.
With the rising popularity of the AfD ("Alternative for Germany"), a right-wing party, people are clashing over what party to vote for like I've never seen before.

While the support for the AfD isn't as huge as the one Trump enjoys in the USA, it's still high enough to stir up trouble in Germany's political landscape. I've been guilty of ending a friendship over this myself. No less than my longest friendship.

Carnby

I have never ended a friendship over politics. It would be incredibly immature and childish to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom