• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolith: Shadow of War Runs at Native 4K on Xbox, not yet decided for PS4Pro

Theorry

Monolith’s Design Director Bob Roberts said during a chat with Wccftech at E3 2017 that Middle-earth: Shadow of War will indeed run at native 4K resolution on Microsoft’s Xbox One X console.

What about PlayStation 4 Pro? Roberts said that the team is still trying to optimize and didn’t have exact specifications on what will be final on the console, but Monolith will try to fit in everything they can. We’ll know closer to launch, then.

We also got confirmation that High Dynamic Range (HDR) support won’t be reserved to consoles, which is a weird and somewhat disturbing trend of late. This also means that the PC version will be the best one, having all of the bells and whistles for graphics as well as higher frame rate – Monolith is focusing on delivering a stable 30FPS across the board on all consoles, said Roberts.

We’re not shooting for 60FPS at the time, we are trying to milk more graphics out of it and just make sure it always stays above 30 smoothly.

He also praised Microsoft’s console due on November 7th for its much faster loading times.

Yeah, it’s a crazy powerful box, it will be the prettiest possible version of the game [Editor’s note: among consoles]. We have some devkits which also load a lot faster, while in development it’s extra nice to load a giant world in a matter of seconds so we can iterate faster. But it will also have faster loading times for players, I think that one of the big things in this console generation is that we got a lot more memory, but in a lot of games I played loading times got longer rather than shorter.

It’s nice to see them push on this side of the technology.

http://wccftech.com/monolith-shadow-of-war-native-4k-xb1x/

geordiemp

I assume that whoever has the marketing gets the details of the game pushed first, everything else is no big deal unless you play on a monitor IMO.

Was the last one not 4K on my Pro ? Got to admit, I dont bother looking it up anymore and all I can see is its above 1080p on 50 inches.

30 FPS will be standard for these games on Jaguar.

Native 4K on a title like this is crazy.

Why, I can play the first one in native 4K now on my Pro, its not massive on particles and effects.

I would say impressive but that words doesn't come to mind when I look at the recent footage. It really doesn't look all that hot there. I notice how the exterior parts don't seem to look all that fantastic but the interiors do look rather good with lighting and everything.

Native 4K on a title like this is crazy.

Yup. Mike Ybarra said they weren't done with the dev kits and I recall Jez Corden saying something about an upcoming SDK update in October. The 1GB of ram was also just unlocked so things will definitely get better as we get closer to the console's launch. There is really no reason why Xbx1X games shouldn't look better than the Pro versions. The console's specs are better in every way.

tuna_love

Banned
I assume that whoever has the marketing gets the details of the game pushed first, everything else is no big deal unless you play on a monitor IMO.

Was the last one not 4K on my Pro ? Got to admit, I dont bother looking it up anymore and all I can see is its above 1080p on 50 inches.

30 FPS will be standard for these games on Jaguar.

Why, I can play the first one in native 4K now on my Pro, its not massive on particles and effects.
all you seem to do is justify your pro purchase

Come on... Just use checkerboard rendering, it's fine. I'm sure the difference with 4k is minimal and the framerate will benefit.

Come on... Just use checkerboard rendering, it's fine. I'm sure the difference with 4k is minimal and the framerate will benefit.

No we have to argue if its real native or checkboard!! Regular people cant tell the difference but we have to argue!! :)

Anyway i was actually inpressed wth the texture work on the playthrough they did of this gane. Should br mighty fine in 4k and checkbord 4k :)

Seems to be a lot more characters on screen this time, so I'd be impressed if they got it to run mostly native like the first game did.

Joey Ravn

Banned
They can make it 8K native for all that I care. Pushing resolution is the most boring path they could have decided to walk, if you ask me. Frame rate would have been a much more impactful area to work on, but I guess blurting out "4K" as much as they can is what makes them sell games these days.

thelastword

Banned
This looks just like the first game and that was native on PRO. They may keep the dynamic resolution scaling on PRO to keep framerate up when things got heavy, barely if ever dropped on PRO though.

Sanctuary

It was also a cross gen game.

Maybe some games will benefit from "true 4K" at some point, but I can't even tell the difference between checkerboarding and native 4K right now. If rendering at native 4K is so much more resource heavy, but with no real discernable difference other than being about to brag about being native 4K, it's not a benefit when performance is held hostage.

geordiemp

all you seem to do is justify your pro purchase

Nah, your wrong.

I got 2 ps3, 2 360, 2 ps4, 2 ps4 pro and 2 wall mounted large Tv's side by side all ethernet to 200 mbs fibre, I am fortunate that I dont need to justify £ 400 its not a big deal for me. Yeah I could build 2 gaming Pc's, but I just prefer consoles.

So, I would really like console gaming at 60 FPS, and will discuss it in forums, hey because thats what you do in gaming forums.

I was not excited by Ps4 pro, its OK and nothing more, nor am I excited by Scorpio, they are both hamstrung designs and Jaguar REALLY disappoints.

I would of shoved a low voltage Ryzen and a 580 with 12 GB total in a box and found an API layer to make it back compat for $ 600. That would of been a proper elite 60 FPS console.

Footos22

I wish the Pro and the X would try to at least to have 60 fps modes maybe in 1080p especially for open world games, it surely isn't impossible.

Isn't gonna happen. With the amount of stuff on screen and all the enemy a.i involved along with all the other systems the shitty jaguar wouldn't be able to handle it

Alexious

Isn't gonna happen. With the amount of stuff on screen and all the enemy a.i involved along with all the other systems the shitty jaguar wouldn't be able to handle it

That's what Bungie said, too. Truth to be told, The Surge has a 1080P@60FPS option on PS4 Pro but it's not an open world game.

Theorry

I would say impressive but that words doesn't come to mind when I look at the recent footage. It really doesn't look all that hot there. I notice how the exterior parts don't seem to look all that fantastic but the interiors do look rather good with lighting and everything.

CloudyLightheartedLangur.gif

sirap

I'm fine with checkerboarding if it means a stable framerate. Can't really tell the difference even at 4 feet, it's all crisp to me.

emrober5

Microsoft has the marketing...not really a surprise there. I expect the pro will be dynamic 4k.

But honestly I'm more concerned with the gameplay on this one after the easy allies impressions. I enjoyed shadow or mordor and was interested here. Sounds like the game needs a lot of work.

JPS Kai

Personally, I'd prefer a longer draw distance and frame rate bump to resolution on the PS4 Pro but the 4K would make for some damn fine screenshots/wallpapers.

I'm currently deciding between PS4 and Xbox version. The review thread seems to be taken over by weirdos.

Anyway any news on how the pro version performs? As I might just buy it to play on the x as there's very little exclusives coming out on it.

black070

I'm currently deciding between PS4 and Xbox version. The review thread seems to be taken over by weirdos.

Anyway any news on how the pro version performs? As I might just buy it to play on the x as there's very little exclusives coming out on it.

Hopefully DF’s analysis will be out soon - it sounds like dynamic res like the first one considering it has the same options.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

For the Pro, only thing stated officially is like the first one it has 2 modes "Favor Resolution" and "Favor Quality". Going by the first game, Quality is 1080p w/ extra graphical effects and Resolution should target native 4K dynamically.

From his wording it seems they are having a though time with Pro than Xbonex... I guess the roles are reversed yet again (the more powerful console also being the easier to develop for)

Journey

Banned
At 30 fps? Not that crazy.

Crazy when everyone said Xbox One X would not be capable of running AAA games at 4K native. 60fps was never part of the discussion, console games are always expected to be at 30fps, especially if in 4K.

You say this as if it were normal to expect Xbox One X to hit 4K native, but I seem to remember lots of posts of naysayers proving it didn't have enough juice to pull it off, so with that context in mind, I can see why he thinks it's crazy for a game of the caliber to be native 4K.

Top Bottom