• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolithsoft (Xenoblade) is recruiting action game staff for new project

Ridley327

Out of curiosity, the only action RPG they've done up until now has been Soma Bringer, correct? While I wouldn't say the genre is uncharted waters for them, it is definitely not one they really have an identity in yet. It's a little hard to imagine what will fruit this will eventually bear, but that's why it's pretty exciting to see them tackle something brand new.

Yeah. There were also earlier job postings for action, online and medieval fantasy. Looks like they're doing something really different next.

Not a huge fan of medieval fantasy and prefer Sci-Fi in general which Monolith Soft does incredibly well.

I still desperately need a direct sequel to Xenobade Chronicles X.

Welp interest lost if true.

I got the same vibe too. Kinda reminds of the art the Persona 5 studio put out awhile ago?

Glad I'm not the only one.

Despite her relationship with Takahashi, I doubt they would bring her on to lead a project with her freelancer status. And even then, it's been nearly a decade since she's had a hand in anything development related.

I always wondered this? Why has she never officially joined Monolith? Does she just not want to have direct involvement with game development anymore?

duckroll

mv05.jpg

This is fucking amazing

This image is NOT part of the new project recruitment ad. This is a general one.

The ones for the action project in particular are these:
https://www.monolithsoft.co.jp/images/recruit/special/sp/mv.jpg
https://www.monolithsoft.co.jp/images/recruit/special/bg-joblist.jpg
https://www.monolithsoft.co.jp/images/recruit/special/mv.jpg

Out of curiosity, the only action RPG they've done up until now has been Soma Bringer, correct? While I wouldn't say the genre is uncharted waters for them, it is definitely not one they really have an identity in yet. It's a little hard to imagine what will fruit this will eventually bear, but that's why it's pretty exciting to see them tackle something brand new.

Disaster is an action game with some RPG elements.

Strings

An action-rpg from MonolithSoft is very exciting. Something like Breath of the Wild with more involved quests and significantly better combat.

Yasss monolith soft I see they're taking the FFXV approch. Good to see them ditching their combat system in favor of a action gameplay :)
Hurray for more Western trends

Can not wait.
This is one game. I doubt they're ditching Xeno-style games any time soon as it's Nintendo's big budget RPG franchise. Which is a good thing since Monolith's output takes a big dump on anything Square had produced in the last...more than 10 years.

Instro

Taken from the website. They are recruiting "action game staff" in particular, and the individual recruitment pages for the action part programmers and action part battle planners specify desired action game experience and responsiveness and enemy AI as things they want to emphasize. For the battle planners, they are also looking for those with an interest in medieval fantasy and understanding of western entertainment trends.

While this is true, I would say that we can safely consider the artwork here representative of the game they are making. This isn't a general recruitment ad but one specifically for a new project in development. It lines up with previous speculation based on the battle planner recruitment that showed up a few weeks ago.

Word, thanks for digging into it for us.

OmegaDL50

When was the last time Monolith worked on a medieval / high fantasy setting?

I suppose maybe Soma Bringer? Not counting their assistance with Breath of the Wild of course.

Harpoon

Yeah, I'm excited to see them do something they've only barely dipped into before. Which is also why I'd rather Monolith Soft be doing this by themselves than just them supervising From Software like some people apparently want--there's already a bunch of From action RPGs to play, but a Monolith one (that's playable outside of Japan)? Nope.

Ridley327

I always wondered this? Why has she never officially joined Monolith? Does she just not want to have direct involvement with game development anymore?

I always got the impression that getting the boot from the Xenosaga games was not a particularly pleasant experience for her. That being said, I don't doubt for a second that she bounces off ideas at Takahashi whenever he brings his work home, and she's nothing if not very consistent in increasing hype levels for Nintendo Directs whenever she retweets on Monolith Soft's behalf.

Kolx

Since we're on the subject of Monolithsoft: do I need to play the previous xenoblade games to understand 2 or are they separate?

They've also done a action-adventure survival title, Disaster: day of crisis. That game is so different from their usual output. So unless I'm missing something this game does not have to be an RPG or at least not a pure one. I'd like to see this game use titles such as BotW, Dark Souls, FFXV, and The Witcher 3 for general direction and influence.

duckroll

When was the last time Monolith worked on a medieval / high fantasy setting?

I suppose maybe Soma Bringer? Not counting their assistance with Breath of the Wild of course.

Soma Bringer is not a high fantasy setting. It is much closer to Xenogears + God Eater. Lots of high tech stuff, characters with big guns, etc.

I'll say with regards to fantasy, Baten Kaitos is definitely the closest.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Since we're on the subject of Monolithsoft: do I need to play the previous xenoblade games to understand 2 or are they separate?
From what they told us you don't need to but its recommended for the references and you never know with takahashi stories

I would kill for a Xenoblade X sequel, but honestly, Monolith is so amazing that I would be excited even if they were working on a soccer game.

DJIzana

This AND Granblue Fantasy for PS4?

Can... someone pinch me? Am I dreaming? A Monolith Soft game based in a fantasy universe?!!! :D

I mean... the statement does same ambitious and outside of the realm anything Monolith Soft has done before so there's a chance I might not like it but I seriously think I've died and gone to heaven! :D

This is further signs that Xenoblade 2 will release this year, right? I think it was always on track but you never know what may happen.

Always excited for their next project as well. I think I've liked every title I've played that they have developed.

duckroll

I think the more logical explanation is that it is easier for her to not be a company employee when her husband is already a company director and they have kids so she might be looking after them.

Plum

*Nintendo and Monolith announce and release Xenoblade 2 in one year*

*Fans are happy*

*Nintendo and Monolith announce this cool new IP for release 3-4 years in the future*

*Fans have something to look forward to*

Genius!

Can't wait to what they're working on.

plank

This bears repeating. I'm still sad about how nothing ever came out of this art.

That said, previous recruitment ads were looking for someone knowledgeable in "medieval/fantasy", which these images certainly look like, so... these might be more of a legit tease than that pic ended up being. (also worth noting that the recruitment ad was also looking for someone with knowledge in "overseas trends")

In that link you posted those characters resembles characters that appears in Xenoblade X.

Plum

FWIW, I don't think they started this project yesterday.

Make it 2-3 years then. Hoping it's more on the 2 year end, of course. Either which way, releasing Xenoblade 2 so early in the Switch's life is a good move. It'll make any wait for whatever this is a lot more bearable.

Been hoping they'd combine their World crafting with an action combat style instead of a the more modern MMOJRPG stuff

Art looks nice

Neoxon

This could literally be the box art for their new game.

All the same, I'm curious to see what form this project will take, especially if the art is in any way indicative of what the project will be. Actually, sticking with NoE for the English voice acting would be even more fitting for this game given the medieval theme.

*Nintendo and Monolith announce and release Xenoblade 2 in one year*

*Fans are happy*

*Nintendo and Monolith announce this cool new IP for release 3-4 years in the future*

*Fans have something to look forward to*

Genius!

Can't wait to what they're working on.

Well they haven't really announced anything regarding this to be fair.

duckroll

Make it 2-3 years then. Hoping it's more on the 2 year end, of course. Either which way, releasing Xenoblade 2 so early in the Switch's life is a good move. It'll make any wait for whatever this is a lot more bearable.

I'll be pretty surprised if this game isn't announced by early next year, and released by 2019.

Top Bottom