• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monopoly GAMER Edition, new original Nintendo board games (BG) and VG BG in general.

There is a Monopoly (and more board games) for almost every franchise that has a fanbase that would buy it (seriously look at the official website). This has extended to gaming properties in the last few years as well like Street Fighter, Mass Effect, Sonic the Hedgehog, Halo, Skylanders and Fallout (except Borderlands, they only get Yahtzee).

This also includes Nintendo with Nintendo Monopoly debuting in 2006 before the recent wave of others (Pokémon had releases in 1999 and 2001 but these were partially based on the anime).

But instead of just continuing to slap some IP on regular Monopoly USAopoly has decided to make a Monopoly specifically for the video game audience with MONOPOLY GAMER Edition.

monopoly-box.jpg

June 28 said:
Hasbro and Nintendo introduce MONOPOLY GAMER, a new way to play MONOPOLY
The MONOPOLY brand from Hasbro and Nintendo today announced the launch of the MONOPOLY GAMER Edition game that introduces beloved Nintendo characters and new twists to the MONOPOLY game.

The MONOPOLY GAMER Edition game will feel familiar yet fresh to both MONOPOLY and Nintendo fans, as players race around the board to complete levels (buy property), collect coins (money)—either from the bank or by using special powers to take them from other players—and battle legendary bosses to rack up points and win the game. Players can choose from fan-favorite Super Mario character tokens, such as Mario, Donkey Kong, Princess Peach and Yoshi.

For the first time in MONOPOLY history, each character token will have its own unique Power-up ability, introducing another layer of strategy for new and old players alike. For example, landing on the Super Star board space will activate Princess Peach’s Super Star ability to collect rent from the bank. Players can also activate a special Power-up boost by rolling the Power-up die.

“The MONOPOLY GAMER Edition game combines the world of Nintendo with the physical, face-to-face world of the MONOPOLY game,” said Jonathan Berkowitz, senior vice president of global marketing for Hasbro Gaming. “By giving MONOPOLY tokens unique abilities and adding game-play elements such as the Power-up die, we are offering fans an exciting new way to engage with two of their favorite gaming brands.”

“The MONOPOLY brand has been a staple in the gaming aisle for more than 80 years, and we’re excited to give Mario, Yoshi and other characters the chance to ‘Pass GO’ and bring their powers to life in MONOPOLY GAMER Edition game,” said Tom Prata, Nintendo of America’s Senior Vice President of Strategic Initiatives. “This collaboration is the latest example of Nintendo’s efforts to give fans a variety of fun and surprising ways to interact with their favorite Super Mario characters.”

The standard MONOPOLY GAMER Edition game will be available this August at mass market retailers for a suggested retail price of $24.99, and is for ages 8 and up. Fans can take their MONOPOLY GAMER experience to the next level with the purchase of MONOPOLY GAMER POWER PACKS (each sold separately), which include one of several Super Mario character tokens like Luigi, Boo, Rosalina, Wario, Diddy Kong and more. The POWER PACKS will be available this August for a suggested retail price of $2.99 each.

Starting today, the MONOPOLY GAMER Collector’s Edition game is available at select GameStop stores in the United States, featuring premium packaging and a bonus Bowser token, available exclusively in this edition of the game. The MONOPOLY GAMER Collector’s Edition game will also be available at additional online retailers later this year.
http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/hasbro-and-nintendo-introduce-monopoly-gamer

Yeah, despite the name MONOPOLY GAMER it's wholly based on Mario. It looks like they really took Mario's Smash nickname to heart.

770e6fac8896794b64324a891324b89cb69b7591_hq.jpg

Likewise they've seem to have done the same with Luigi's nickname as Donkey Kong/Yoshi have forced Luigi to Power Pack status. Also the packs having Rosalina and no Daisy makes me sad.

At least with these random packs Monopoly is truly representing the modern world of video games in Monopoly Gamer Edition.

Amazon Preorder ($24.99):

1 Minute Montage by Hasbro
5 Minute How to Play Monopoly Gamer by Hasbro

Surprised they showed the Mario piece up close without using a better painted one.

GameStop Collector’s Edition ($39.99):
f8eaa3b437294cdbbf27c42d63173b4a_Large.png

215379.jpg

http://www.gamestop.com/toys/monopoly-gamer-collectors-edition-board-game-get-it-first-at-gamestop/148477

1 Minute Collector’s Edition Montage by EB Games
7 Minute GameStop unboxing of Collector’s Edition

Both Editions:
Includes gameboard, 4 Nintendo Character tokens (Mario, Princess Peach, Yoshi, and Donkey Kong), 4 Character cards, 4 Reminder cards, 8 Boss cards, 16 Title Deed cards, 1 Numbered die, 1 Power -up die, 90 coins, and game guide

Monopoly Gamer Power Pack: $2.99

Each Power Pack includes a Character token, a Character card, and a Character sticker. Packs are available with Wario, Luigi, Toad, Boo, Rosalina, Diddy Kong, Fire Mario, and Tanooki Mario.

The Collector’s Edition differs in a few ways that you can see in more detail in the Gamestop unboxing video. The most obvious is a Bowser piece being included. There is also a molded storage space for the 8 additional Power Pack Figures.

The booklet that comes with this version is more detailed and includes a place to store the stickers of the characters. Every Power Pack character comes with a sticker but the stickers for the included characters appear to only be in the Collector's Edition. The Collector’s Edition coins appear to be actual plastic while the regular edition coins look like cardboard.

Finally the game involves 8 Boss cards to play. In the regular edition this is Bowser and the 7 Koopalings. But in the Collector's Edition the Bowser card is replaced with an exclusive Bowser Jr. card. So to have everything you would need to buy both versions to get both the Bowser and Bowser Jr. Boss card. Reminds me of how the Collector's Edition of Zelda Monopoly (also Gamestop exclusive) had some extra stuff including the Ocarina of Time, but it replaced the slingshot in the regular edition.

Now for a wholly original Mario board game just released two days earlier on the 26th of June:

Super Mario Level Up!
Amazon ($19.99):
supermario_levelup_pr_web.jpg
supermario_levelup_flatbb_web.jpg

In Super Mario Level Up! join Mario and his pals as you advance them up the Mushroom Kingdom while challenging other players to gather the most coins and reach the castle at the top.

Each player starts with a unique line-up of characters that they are trying to score the most points with. Players take turns moving any character up the board until a character gets to the top.

Once a character is advanced to the top board, players vote to see if the character stays or is kicked off the Mushroom Kingdom. It takes only one NO vote to get them off the board. And players should use the NO votes wisely as each player only has two NO votes in their hand. The round ends when the character is unanimously voted to stay at the top.

Score up your points and play another round. Game ends after three rounds.

Official How to Play

Daisy makes it onto the box! The 13 characters are Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Yoshi, Toad, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Wario, Waluigi, Kamek, Bowser Jr. and Bowser.

Also coming later this year exclusively to Target:

Super Mario Bros. Power Up Card Game
supermariobros_cg_pr_web.jpg

Coming Soon!

Super Mario Bros.™ Power Up Card Game

The Super Mario Bros. Power Up Card Game offers all-new game play with some of the most popular video characters of all time. Use your wits and deduction skills to survive the perils of the Mushroom Kingdom and make it safely to the Castle. Keep or trade Level cards and play “? Block” power ups to get the high score in this super charged card game.

Exclusively Available at Target.

Ages 8+ | 3-8 Players | MSRP: $19.95

Other Nintendo board games by USAopoly:

Also Mario Uno:
tumblr_ofp9lvotgs1uy6kbto1_1280.jpg

The Monopolies talked about in the beginning paragraphs:
Nintendo Monopoly originally released in 2006 with a revised version in 2010):
nintendoref_mn_pr_web_0.jpg
61ILLHnV4fL.jpg
71BsMRn%2BDWL._SL1000_.jpg
2615755-5133814211-Zelda.jpg

There's also Mass Effect Risk:
maxresdefault.jpg

71UC81NH8sL._SX355_.jpg
61a96AZ4kmL.jpg
etc-game-fo-monopoly-ce.jpg
61sTH%2B9sD6L.jpg
etc-game-me-monopoly-full.jpg

The 1999 and 2001 Pokémon Monopoly sets were rereleased in 2014 and 2016 respectively. They had anime references removed and are now strictly based on the games:
latest
51DGD80PYPL.jpg
pokemon_mn_pr_web_0.jpg

jilg_pokemon_monopoly_johto_edition_spread.jpg

71FTsXotSGL._SL1000_.jpg
latest

Yahtzee:
71U3temTxhL._SL1000_.jpg
fallout_yz_16_pr_web_0.jpg

I actually have most of the Nintendo board games above and will eventually get all these new ones as well.
I have never opened any of them.

So thoughts on Monopoly finally making something for the modern gamer?

Anyone played Monopoly Gamer or Super Mario Level Up!?

What about any thoughts on any of the other board games above? Interested in any? Surprise some exist?

Cloud7

I bought Monopoly Gamer Collector's Edition and the all the extra pieces at GameStop but haven't opened them yet. Friends haven't had time to come over yet but I want to play at some point.

fernoca

Been thinking about this.
The official site has a discount on the first order and the regular will be $28 shipped.

deleted

I thought to myself - none of these games mesh well with Nintendo and Mario - and I don't like the NSMB aesthetics...

But the DK Jenga is brilliant!

scamander

Banned
Monopoly is a terrible game. People who enjoy it usually have little experience with board games and just don't know the good stuff. Don't buy this crap, guys. Please, I beg you.

Capitan

Words-with-Friends-Board-Game-Coupon.jpg

this abomination is what came to mind for me.
I had no idea there were so many variants of board games. seem kind of odd to me, but I am also a proud owner of star wars risk, so i can't hate.

Props to Sonic Monopoly for having actual PLACES purchasable on the board. I hate when it's characters.
(Idon't even play monopoly anymore, except for the card game, which is actually pretty fun, but I haven't played it in 3 years.)

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus

I had no idea there were so many variants of board games. seem kind of odd to me, but I am also a proud owner of star wars risk, so i can't hate.

Wait...what? Isn't this scrabble that couldn't be called scrabble ?

maxcriden

Thanks for posting this, those look really neat and most I'd never seen or head of!

I have it. Its pretty cool but I never have used it with the special rules, only normal Jenga.

It looks amazing. What are the special rules?

Edit: it's like $90 on Amazon...!
Anywhere you recommend buying it for a remotely normal price?

Ick. Some of those look okay, but why not make new interesting games instead of old, tired, and horse beaten MONOPOLY.

Because hiring people to make new,creative, well thought out, and balanced board games costs more, and the general public is full of people who don't want to think hard about strategy. I'm so glad I got my mother into better games like Lords of Waterdeep and Pandemic.

Glix

Thanks for posting this, those look really neat and most I'd never seen or head of!

It looks amazing. What are the special rules?

The Donkey Kong rules add enough of a twist to the classic game to make it bit more fun and of course, what with the neato pixel graphics, quite a bit more nostalgic.The new rules have you place a peg-backed Mario piece into a hole of one of the bottom Jenga pieces. Once everyone has placed their Marios you take turns flicking the spinner. The spinner tells you how many girders to move as you make your way up and around the Jenga tower. It also tells you how many girders you have to slide out of the stack and place back on top. Removing and replacing the pieces is just like classic Jenga, except you have to remove and replace the Donkey Kong piece as well, making sure he and Pauline are always at the highest point of the tower. The spinner tells you to move zero to three spaces and to remove zero to three pieces. To win you have to either move your Mario to the top of the tower, or be the highest Mario on the tower when someone else knocks the tower down

Me and the wife bought the monopoly gamer board game. I actually really enjoy it(disclaimer I do like regular monopoly as well lol). It's a fun little twist on regular monopoly. The abilities each character gets and the boss cards really change things up.

Farmville-Hungry-Hungry-Herd-Game.jpg

There's something truly amazing about Zynga board games being unlicensed copies as well

Other mobile game board games seem more original and try to emulate the game play of the original game.

bejewelled.jpg

angry-birds-games.jpg
c700x420.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

The Cut the Rope version of Connect 4 certainly tries to meld concepts.

ImageHandler.ashx

...How the hell do you even fix Monopoly? A good version of Monopoly would barely even resemble the original.

It plays faster, though it still a little long I think for most people who dislike longer board games. It's more engaging with the coin dropping mechanic and all the star powers and power up abilities, each character plays a little differently from each other but it still has trading and properties in it like normal monopoly so it still feels very much like it.

There's only 1 coins and 5 coins as well so you don't gotta worry about all the different Bills.

Glix

Those angry birds playsets look awesome!!!

Reminds me of that amazing game I had as a kid where you had to use catapults to knock down your opponents castle.

DarkWish

I got the collectors edition from GameStop recently and it's pretty fun. Got all the power packs to complete the collection. The unique abilities for each character and the new boss battle cards add some fun new twists to the gameplay. I'm pretty happy with the purchase.

Mr E.

...How the hell do you even fix Monopoly? A good version of Monopoly would barely even resemble the original.
Ditching the house rules most people add for "fun" goes some way into make it better.

Best board game adaptation of a video game is Gears of war if you can find it, long out of print though.

SalvaPot

Ditching the house rules most people add for "fun" goes some way into make it better.

Best board game adaptation of a video game is Gears of war if you can find it, long out of print though.

I really enjoyed the Pokémon Gen 2 version and its superpowers, once I was able to get a Monopoly on two turns by rolling 6 on the first turn to buy the first light blue property, then two 1's to get the 2nd one, and when you role two of the same number on the dice you get a superpower. In this case, teleport to any place you want. I teleported to the 3rd one.

Monopoly in 2 turns, quickest game ever.

AmFreak

Monopoly is fun for like 10 minutes.
After the streets are spread it becomes the slowest and most boring slugfest of all time.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Nice thread! I actually ordered Monopoly Gamers Collector's Edition based on the positive feedback on boardgamegeek (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1807430/monopoly-gamer-fast-silly-fun, https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1804887/monopoly-gamer-mario-shells-and-coins-oh-my), playing with the kids (3 and 6), and just that it's nice to have a decent Monopoly game around for super super casual people (I own 350 board/card games, but none are Monopoly :p). Read those reviews if you're worried about this just being a reskin like every other crappy Monopoly game, because it's not.

The only semi-decent video-game-based board games I have/have played are:
-Bloodborne: The Card Game, which is an interesting and fairly light push-your luck game (https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/09/bloodborne-the-card-game-is-actually-pretty-great/)
-Mechs vs. Minions, based on League of Legends but actually plays nothing like it in that it's a quite good cooperative game where you're sending your mechs around a map by programming them with cards to achieve objectives (also has insane production values) (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/featured/mechs-vs-minions)

X-Com and Puzzle Strike (knockoff of Puzzle Fighter theme) are also pretty decent, and I've heard the new Doom is good though pretty deep.

Still gotta grab that ME Monopoly set and the Zelda chess one. After all, what other Monopoly game allows you to play as a
space hamster or shifty cow?

Top Bottom