• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monopoly GAMER Edition, new original Nintendo board games (BG) and VG BG in general.

Dragoshi1

I bought the collector's edition of the GAMER thing and Boo, Rosalina, and Luigi.

My siblings and I had a blast with it, so I welcome more Nintendo properties. Heres hoping for Splatoon next.

delume

My son got this for his birthday and it's excellent. Feels a lot like a game of Mario Kart with coins exploding everywhere. Great game to play with the family.

mclem

I remember these three from my youth:

1PNsC5B.jpg

Because hiring people to make new,creative, well thought out, and balanced board games costs more, and the general public is full of people who don't want to think hard about strategy. I'm so glad I got my mother into better games like Lords of Waterdeep and Pandemic.

That's true, however there are fervent designers/publishers out there who would eat up the chance to theme their latest game design on Nintendo characters, or more simply, retheme their existing GOOD games with the Nintendo theme.

Cool that your mom is into good games now.

Props to Sonic Monopoly for having actual PLACES purchasable on the board. I hate when it's characters.

That's what I hate most about these special edition Monopoly games, they pick perfect IPs like Pokemon and then piss it away by making you move around the board buying... characters? Sadly that Sonic Monopoly is stupidly expensive nowadays, well over £100, so I'll never own it.

Wouldn't mind grabbing this Mario Monopoly as well, but can't find any mention of it being made available in Europe.

ASaiyan

Banned
I was wondering what this was, as I keep seeing it when I go into GameStops lately. Interesting to hear people like it better than regular Monopoly; though that isn't saying very much, lol.

I need this yesterday.
I'm willing to bet that Sophia did it, though. Like, every time.

Rlan

Words-with-Friends-Board-Game-Coupon.jpg

this abomination is what came to mind for me.
I had no idea there were so many variants of board games. seem kind of odd to me, but I am also a proud owner of star wars risk, so i can't hate.

You may think it's crap. but it's actually quite ingenius on Hasbro's part.

See, Hasbro owns this Scrabble:

scrabble.jpg

However, Hasbo ONLY owns Scrabble in the US and Canada. Everywhere else in the world it's a trademark of Mattel!

289660537-scrabble-mattel.jpg

So Hasbro can only sell Scrabble in the US & Canada, and nowhere else. This has caused the nightmare of Scrabble games on iPhone, because you could only purchase one version or the other. This is why Words With Friends was such a hit - it didn't care where you lived.

So by getting the License for Words With Friends, Hasbro can sell Scrabble anywhere in the world.

RagnarokX

Hey, a Nintendo Monopoly game that finally gets it right. The previous Nintendo Monopoly was stupid. Instead of collecting properties you collected characters. And the board art was lazy.

Anyone else remember that other Nintendo-themed Monopoly game from years ago? I always wanted to get it just to have it.

Hey, a Nintendo Monopoly game that finally gets it right. The previous Nintendo Monopoly was stupid. Instead of collecting properties you collected characters. And the board art was lazy.

Oh really? Makes me glad I never bought it then.

Anyone else remember that other Nintendo-themed Monopoly game from years ago? I always wanted to get it just to have it.

Oh really? Makes me glad I never bought it then.

I did like the change in tokens from the 2006 to 2010 version.

Mario Wiki said:
2006:
Tokens.jpg

Clockwise from top left: Link's Iron Boots, a DK Barrel, the Hylian shield, Mario's Cap, an NES controller, and a Koopa shell.

2010:
Tokens2010.jpg

Clockwise from top left: Samus' Helmet, a Mushroom, the S.S. Dolphin, a Gyroid, the Master Sword, and a Star.

Instead of just Mario, Zelda Donkey Kong and an NES controller a lot more franchises are represented and both Zelda and Mario get better item representations. The only thing I wish they did is kept DK's Barrel instead of the invincibility star.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sonic Monopoly makes no sense at all.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net...g_board.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20121226144415

Boardwalk and Park Place are Mad Gear and Splash Hill from Sonic 4 ffs.

For future reference, probably wise to add the colour to the post (purple) for those who don't know the American names since Monopoly is localised for every country.

Coincidentally, in the UK, instead of Park Place, we have Park Lane, so almost the same. Boardwalk is Mayfair.

But funny they'd make Sonic 4, of all games, the game with most valuable locations.

RagnarokX

For future reference, probably wise to add the colour to the post (purple) for those who don't know the American names since Monopoly is localised for every country.

Coincidentally, in the UK, instead of Park Place, we have Park Lane, so almost the same. Boardwalk is Mayfair.

But funny they'd make Sonic 4, of all games, the game with most valuable locations.

Dark blue, not purple. The cheapest properties used to be purple, but they changed them to brown for some reason. Having the most expensive properties be from Sonic 4, let alone making one of them Splash Hill ffs, shows no thought was put into the board. If they had to be from Sonic 4 then it should be Mad Gear or Sky Fortress and Death Egg Mk II.

SalvaPot

Bought it today, and apparently someone must have said something because while I was there and I was paying another 3 people also took one copy and formed a line to purchase it. The Gamestop employee said he really enjoyed it and I asked if they had the other figures and he told me they sold out on them, so I guess I'll have to pick those out later on.

The game is designed for 4 players but since the Collector's Edition has an extra figure we went ahead and played with 5. Out of the bat the game was far more fun than a traditional Monopoly since it solved a few of the problems with the original.

For starters, the board is smaller, so there is only 2 properties of each color. This makes getting a Monopoly easier, but its also not a game breaker because all you get is charge double rent, that's it. Also, if you ran out of money, you have to SELL the property back to the bank to be able to pay. If after that you still have no money left, nothing else happens, you can keep playing and the game is lenient enough for a comeback if you are lucky enough.

The games does feels a lot like a Mario Party game. The main mechanic of the game is earning coins and dropping coins. You play with two dices, one is a normal 1-6 dice while the other is an item dice, that will either earn you coins or attack your opponents to drop or steal their coins. If you walk through a space with coins, you earn those coins.

As for the Boss Battles, they are a fun addition. Everytime you pass Go you trigger a boss battle and a chance to fight it, if you pay a fee. If you fail, the next player can try. If everyone fails, the Boss escapes. Beating the boss gives you a cool ability like forcing a trade or getting a property for free, and points.

The winner at the end of the game is not the player who has more money, but the one who has more points. Properties and Bosses are specially important because they give the most coins.

Its a fast paced game and it barely resembles Monopoly, it feels like a modded videogame and I can honestly say its the best version of Monopoly so far. It's also extremely easy to pick up and play.

Top Bottom