• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri Official Site Updated

Dreavus

I called EBgames earlier today (Canada) to inquire about pre-orders for the game, and they said they're still taking them for both the MH3 or the MH3 + CCP bundle. I asked how many they'd be getting in, but they said they wouldn't know until closer to release (couldn't give me any numbers)... however if I pre-ordered within the next few days, I'd probably get one when it comes out.

Is there any truth to this at all? I've been hearing (on GAF mostly) that stores are selling out of the bundles, but according to these guys they can put me down for one no problem if I come in soon. I'm having flashbacks of the time I tried to pre-order Blazblue, only to find out later that GS/EBgames wasn't getting any of the special edition ones and essentially pushed back the release date by a month. Does anyone know what I can expect? I'm going to head in tomorrow and hope for the best. :p

Luigiv

Ok, I'm almost done with the official thread. I just need to go through and edit everything and add a couple more sections before starting the arduous task of formatting it for submission.

Anyway the problem right now is the couple more sections.

I need Pro-tips and FAQs, Go Go Go!

My Pro-Tip

When crafting weapons, remember to study the weapon trees and plan ahead but don't get too far ahead of yourself. There's no point religiously sticking to a weapon path that will "get better later" when it's not performing now. You can always craft multiple weapons.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Luigiv said:
Ok, I'm almost done with the official thread. I just need to go through and edit everything and add a couple more sections before starting the arduous task of formatting it for submission.

Anyway the problem right now is the couple more sections.

I need Pro-tips and FAQs, Go Go Go!

My Pro-Tip

When crafting weapons, remember to study the weapon trees and plan ahead but don't get too far ahead of yourself. There's no point religiously sticking to a weapon path that will "get better later" when it's not performing now. You can always craft multiple weapons.

I'll be able to whip something up after work, don't wait for me though.

Tenbatsu

Just live it first. Pro tips can be added later. I can help with the armor skills system but its certainly not simple and people might not understand what the hell I am talking about.

A quick tip:
Always think of what skills you want, the weapon type and what protection stone is in your possession (if this is the name they will be calling it) first before crafting out the armor set.

REVIEWS
IGN UK - 9.3
ONM - 91%
Nintendo Power - 9
Gamesradar - 9
Ngamer - 89%
GamesTM - 8
Edge - 7

Kevtones

Littlegator said:
Unfortunately, the reports are from GameFAQs. :lol

Game Play 10937 Venice Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA - (310) 842-7776
Game Play 6543 East Spring Street, Long Beach, CA - (562) 421-6880
Wal-Mart in Woodhaven, MI
Wal-Mart in Duarte, CA
Wal-Mart in Vancouver, BC

OH SHIT! DRIVING THERE TOMORROW.

Schwabe

MagicRub25 said:
Weird question. I was wondering if it is possible to move monster hunter saves from one wii to another? I'm going to be staying with my girlfriend on 4/20 and wanted to play some MH while she is in class but I don't want to put time in if I'm not going to be able to continue at my house.

You can store your character on the wii-remote, but i don't know if it's only to get rewards at the arena, when playing at another place, or if you can play the story too. try it out ;)

My Pro Tip would be: Be always prepared!

fr4nz

http://www.capcom-unity.com/jgonzo/...tris_lagiacrus_invades_sf_powell_bart_station

f53bf4272c0aa7e02afc7d1bd975f8cb.jpg

:D :D

Van Owen

Banned
I'm unsure what weapon I should use. Sword and shield looks cool, but everyone always seems to use giant two-handed weapons. Is that generally the way to go, or is it all pretty balanced?

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Van Owen said:
I'm unsure what weapon I should use. Sword and shield looks cool, but everyone always seems to use giant two-handed weapons. Is that generally the way to go, or is it all pretty balanced?
It really boils down to what weapon you click with first. All of the weapons are practical, but you might find that if you choose just one weapon type, you will want to build other weapon types out of curiosity and grass is greener syndrome.

ShinNL

Of all the things I can think of, these are Pro-Tips I'd like to share:

1.Learn the monster's behavior. While it's possible to play with the tactics: keep hitting 'till you're hit, drink potions when your health is low, upgrade the defense of your armor if you seem to get too much damage... you will never experience the full Monster Hunter experience. The end game gets harder and harder and using that tactic will make it look like this game has a lot of random variables to it, but that's not true. Learn the patterns, learn the weak spots, learn the area of attacks and adapt to them.

2.When playing online, be careful of hitting teammates. While you can never damage them directly, putting them in dangerous positions by tripping them can greatly reduce morale. Monster Hunter is all about keeping the morale of the team up, so heal each other, block fireballs for each other, save a dizzy person who can't move, etc. The best multiplayer experience you can get is with 4 team-conscious players.

The biggest problem i have had playing with others online is that they are far to offense oriented sometimes. With 4 people, you wont have any trouble killing it under the limit so for the love of god, heal yourself. Also, if you know something will 1 hit kill you, tell us. Dont go in there and die taking up two valuable retries for the people that can survive it. They key is learning armor traits asap. It gets really complex but after a certain point you should be switching between at least 3 different sets that give you different stats.

Also, circle circle circle. With the camera on the stick now, it should be even easier for newbies to learn patterns and avoid. Let it make the attack, go in for a hit or two and roll away. GOD BLESS THE UNSHEATHE STRIKE.

When its steaming at the mouth in rage mode and you are playing alone, it will be better if you just leave and wait for it to calm down than take the risk, at least until you get tougher. I lost so many hours of failed missions because i didnt have the patience to just wait because i kept up my attacks.

Also, if you can block, abuse the fuck out of it. I use GS and after two swings i almost always do a side roll and immediately go into a block because you are pretty much impenetrable to most things.

gotee12

Protip: Sheathe! When fighting monsters, it's actually a good thing to put your weapon away from time to time. You move MUCH slower when you're weapon is unsheathed, thus making it impossible to dodge certain monster attacks. After you finish an attack, put your weapon away and run to get yourself out of harms way and begin watching for your next opportunity to run in, unsheathe your weapon and attack.

(The most important noob lesson I've learned in MHFU...)

hiro4

FootNinja said:
It really boils down to what weapon you click with first. All of the weapons are practical, but you might find that if you choose just one weapon type, you will want to build other weapon types out of curiosity and grass is greener syndrome.

Also some weapons are better suited for specific monsters.
Also Elemental damage or slash/smash damage can make a difference per monster.

Effect

Soneet said:
Of all the things I can think of, these are Pro-Tips I'd like to share:

1.Learn the monster's behavior. While it's possible to play with the tactics: keep hitting 'till you're hit, drink potions when your health is low, upgrade the defense of your armor if you seem to get too much damage... you will never experience the full Monster Hunter experience. The end game gets harder and harder and using that tactic will make it look like this game has a lot of random variables to it, but that's not true. Learn the patterns, learn the weak spots, learn the area of attacks and adapt to them.

2.When playing online, be careful of hitting teammates. While you can never damage them directly, putting them in dangerous positions by tripping them can greatly reduce morale. Monster Hunter is all about keeping the morale of the team up, so heal each other, block fireballs for each other, save a dizzy person who can't move, etc. The best multiplayer experience you can get is with 4 team-conscious players.

Like to add to this. It goes with tactics and what I've experienced playing the demo. Granted I'm not that of an experienced player. Players shouldn't be afraid to run away or get out of range. Don't force that third hit for example. Get the two or one if you can and then move to a better position. Once I started thinking that way and playing that way I was able to win. I think people have a desire to try and do the most damage as possible and just use a potion afterward. In other games that might work but because of the animation time when it comes to certain actions that won't work. It's a sure fire way to get yourself killed or to see your health drain very quickly.

Amneisac

I really want to take a chance on this game, the reviews look awesome and I think I'd enjoy it. I'm really digging the art direction. I've just got so many freakin' games to buy. I just bought Splinter Cell, next month I have Alan Wake, Red Dead Redemption, and Mario Galaxy 2. I would hate to spend money on something extra I don't know I'd really love. Besides that, all my friends are dudebros who don't play Wii so I won't have any friends to play with.

Help me, GAF! What should I do!? I enjoy MMO's, I've played plenty of WoW and FFXI...

*FUCK* I just bought it.

I need a nap now.

ShinNL

Amneisac said:
I really want to take a chance on this game, the reviews look awesome and I think I'd enjoy it. I'm really digging the art direction. I've just got so many freakin' games to buy. I just bought Splinter Cell, next month I have Alan Wake, Red Dead Redemption, and Mario Galaxy 2. I would hate to spend money on something extra I don't know I'd really love. Besides that, all my friends are dudebros who don't play Wii so I won't have any friends to play with.

Help me, GAF! What should I do!? I enjoy MMO's, I've played plenty of WoW and FFXI...

*FUCK* I just bought it.

I need a nap now.
You won't regret it. As for dudebros, play with them splitscreen once you have the game. They might even buy a Wii just for this game afterwards. I've seen many just buy a Wii for this game (and it's not even out yet!).

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Really curious to see next month's NPD. Hopefully, all that advertising will pay off. Wii needs a 3rd party "hardcore" game in the top 10, heck even top 5, for once.

Tenbatsu

eurogamer said:
The scope for experimentation is immense, with no clear 'best' sets to collect, instead encouraging the preferences and play-styles of individuals.
Finally, the only review that nailed it.

MH3 Rathalos Armor in LP2
2ngaqn8.jpg

23k3fia.jpg

1zoak91.jpg

REVIEWS
IGN UK - 9.3
ONM - 91%
Eurogamer - 9
Nintendo Power - 9
Gamesradar - 9
Ngamer - 89%
IGN - 8.8
GamesTM - 8
Edge - 7

Amneisac

Axiom said:
This game wasn't even on my radar yesterday, that just sold me. The 29th can't come soon enough down here.

Yeah I'm kind of the same way. I'd been keeping an eye on it, but just assumed the controls were terrible from the videos I'd seen. Seeing it getting such favorable reviews is what finally put me over the top.

I used to like PSO (xbox version) and it seems like a deeper, better version of that basic premise. The art style and music also feel a little FFXI-ish to me which is nice. I'm pretty excited. Hope it won't let me down!

Boney

Banned
So apparently, some WalMart have broken the street date on this one. To bad I'm on exam week/s now and probably just get it by the end of the month.

Effect

With reviews like this I wonder if Capcom will up the advertising. Put on major channels during the day and during prime time. Right now they like so many others are sticking to the late night advertising on just a few 2nd or 3rd tier channels. Outside of Blue Ocean I've yet to see a Wii game advertised earlier then 10pm EST. I saw several Blue Ocean ads on cartoon channels between 10am and 7pm. When 360 and PS3 games get TV ads I see them at all hours of the day. I never seem them only at late night and channels you can count with one hand.

Amneisac

Is the general consensus on this that the Classic Controller is sufficient or is it worth the $20 for the classic controller pro?

Tenbatsu

Amneisac said:
Is the general consensus on this that the Classic Controller is sufficient or is it worth the $20 for the classic controller pro?
CCPro as it is more comfortable, suitable for long hours.

forrest

formerly nacire
I've been a big fan of Monster Hunter since it first came to psp. Unfortunately I've never had the chance to play it multi-player and it often left me putting the game down due to the grind by myself. I'm probably going to have to pick this up and have a friend of two over so I can get them hooked!

Either way, will there be some GAF hunting parties? If so, maybe I'll have to join in with some of you folks.

Tenbatsu

eurogamer said:
1. The scope for experimentation is immense, with no clear 'best' sets to collect, instead encouraging the preferences and play-styles of individuals.
eurogamer said:
2. Fighting underwater takes on a more measured, gradual pace - albeit no less exacting for that. In fact, some of the underwater enemies and battles are real highlights, the three-dimensional manoeuvrability and pacing they offer a welcome change from the generally chaotic land encounters.
eurogamer said:
3. Many of the frustrations and much of the wilful obfuscation are gone. Tri is noticeably slicker, smoother and more polished than any of its predecessors. Newcomers will probably be divided; Tri has certainly kept enough of its niggling peccadilloes and moments of tooth-shattering unfairness to annoy the less patient, but Tri is definitely the best way to introduce yourself to this incredibly involving and rewarding series.
What a great review. I still can't stress point number 1 enough.

Amneisac said:
Well, I already have the classic controller, wondering if people think the pro is good enough to buy it also. Sorry, I wasn't clear on that.
For $10 it's not worth debating so much over. You could even sell your current CC to make back some of the cost.

Just pull the trigger and enjoy yourself :)

botticus

AgentOtaku said:
Gamestop just charged my card so I'm assuming their shipping my bundle today! :D
It would be nice, but I doubt it. They processed my order yesterday and I still have the option of canceling it. The sooner the better though, I ordered two bundles ($44 each!) and I need to ship the second one off to my friend!

Icarus

I just ordered two more copies from Amazon for some buddies that I want to get hooked. They haven't used their Wiis in months they tell me. I figured I'd help them out. :)

Morokh

This is out in Europe in less than a week (and the day I get wrist surgery ... xD isn't that nice ... ) and I just have some questions about its gameplay.

I read everywhere including here that it's some kind of 'stiff' gameplay, the last game I remember playing with something like this is Phantasy Star Online on Gamecube, how does it compare ?

I am sure this has already been asked, but the thread got quite big :p

Amneisac

Icarus said:
I just ordered two more copies from Amazon for some buddies that I want to get hooked. They haven't used their Wiis in months they tell me. I figured I'd help them out. :)

Yeah, between Cave Story, Monster Hunter Tri and the upcoming Mario Galaxy 2 my Tiger Woods Golf Machine just doesn't know what to do with itself.

ShinNL

Morokh said:
This is out in Europe in less than a week (and the day I get wrist surgery ... xD isn't that nice ... ) and I just have some questions about its gameplay.

I read everywhere including here that it's some kind of 'stiff' gameplay, the last game I remember playing with something like this is Phantasy Star Online on Gamecube, how does it compare ?

It's not that stiff :lol

You need to finish your attack animations but you can roll or sidestep after that (depending on your weapon type). You also have multiple attacks available with each weapon type so you choose the correct moves.

Easiest to tell by watching a few videos.

Sword and Shield (most mobile weapon): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SAbrOnKqSI#t=2m01s
Great Sword (most sluggish weapon): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X9F2dwgE2U#t=2m30s

These are from the demo so they're spoiler-free.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Morokh said:

The gameplay is not stiff as much as weapons have closer to realistic "weight" more than any other game in history. It's like a battle sim. If you want to do tremendous damage with each strike then your weapon is going to have to be heavy and cumbersome to swing.

If you prefer quicker strikes and movement that do less damage then you can use the sword and shield combo made for that play style. You can have as many weapon sets as you want so you are not limited to playing the game with just one weapon class.

Even the projectile weapons have light, medium and heavy classes as you can probably guess the heavier the bowgun the more powerful the projectile but the longer it takes to pull out and reload. This is one of the first games that has tried to represent weapons based on power vs speed to the point where it changes the entire dynamic of the game.

Once you learn how to wield a heavy sword or hammer skillfully enough to take down 3+ star monsters the satisfaction and pride you feel is unmatched.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Soneet said:
It's not that stiff :lol

You need to finish your attack animations but you can roll or sidestep after that (depending on your weapon type). You also have multiple attacks available with each weapon type so you choose the correct moves.

Easiest to tell by watching a few videos.

Sword and Shield (most mobile weapon): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SAbrOnKqSI#t=2m01s
Great Sword (most sluggish weapon): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X9F2dwgE2U#t=2m30s

These are from the demo so they're spoiler-free.
Did that cat in the sword and shield video try to suicide bomb the player with a mini-barrel? That is quite hilarious to watch. I always thought the cats were good guys.

Amneisac

Salaadin said:
So is Wii Speak the only way for me to use the voice chat in this game?

Yep.

If I can get any friends to play we'll probably just bro out in an xbox live party and use that for voice chat while we play.

Salaadin

Amneisac said:
Yep.

If I can get any friends to play we'll probably just bro out in an xbox live party and use that for voice chat while we play.

I might do the same. I cant justify the money for Wii SPeak when I have a bunch of other methods of voice chat a few feet away from my Wii.

Top Bottom