• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri Official Site Updated

I bought a Wii for this yesterday. I preordered this game and a classic controller since there were no bundles available. From what I've read here I need to buy Wii speak and a keyboard too? Fuck, I'm going to need to buy a wireless router too now. This game is killing my wallet and it's not even out yet. Is it wrong to jump into the online portion of the game right away? I mean I'm a noob, I won't know shit, but I want to play this strictly as an online experience.

Hiltz

Dr. Acid Avatar said:
I bought a Wii for this yesterday. I preordered this game and a classic controller since there were no bundles available. From what I've read here I need to buy Wii speak and a keyboard too? Fuck, I'm going to need to buy a wireless router too now. This game is killing my wallet and it's not even out yet. Is it wrong to jump into the online portion of the game right away? I mean I'm a noob, I won't know shit, but I want to play this strictly as an online experience.

You should be able to find Wii Speak for a dirt cheap price. As far as the game goes, the single player mode doesn't seem to feature the majority of monsters. The online multiplayer will include all of the monsters as well as the DLC for special events. I think you'll be able to jump straight into the online multiplayer if you want to. I'm sure it will be an easier experience with the help of other players fighting together with you. Although, not all of the weapons will be available at the start of online play which is the same for the single player mode.

By the way, congrats on your purchase. :D

Disguises

Wow, just saw a lengthy video on the UK website here: http://nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/games/wii/monster-hunter-tri_15420.html and it does a good job explaining a lot of things. Didn't realise that armour customisation is so varied, can't wait to get an awesome looking piece :). Also didn't realise about the individual monsters weak spots. As a monster hunter noob, I feel I'm going to need all the information I can get.

Just need a competent friend who can help me play splitscreen! April 29th (when all my work is handed in) can't come soon enough! That week long wait from the release till my work is in is going to be a bitch!

Disguises

Tenbatsu said:
Did it mention anything about the skills system? I cant watch the video :/
Nah, don't think it did. Is this the armour skill system thing you were talking about? How does that work?

Also, I saw an advert on TV the other day, just a quick glimpse of a monster then points to www.theyrecoming.co.uk (redirects to facebook group). More of a teaser really. I'm expecting some proper adverts on TV soon

john tv

I'd really like to read the NP review -- does anyone here have it by any chance?

I'm really glad IGN mentioned the NPCs. We worked really hard on Tri to make the localization stand out from the previous games. I realize nobody plays MH for the story, but it's definitely polished this time! :)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
john tv said:
I'd really like to read the NP review -- does anyone here have it by any chance?

I'm really glad IGN mentioned the NPCs. We worked really hard on Tri to make the localization stand out from the previous games. I realize nobody plays MH for the story, but it's definitely polished this time! :)

Word, some of that shit is fucking funny.

ShinNL

john tv said:

"We"? Were you one of the people responsible for the translation? If so, I like the name Dash Juice from the demo as opposed to Power Juice in the previous installments :)

Tenbatsu

Disguises said:
Nah, don't think it did. Is this the armour skill system thing you were talking about? How does that work?
Basically it allows you to configure an armor to suit your playing style. It wasn't so flexible before, all thanks to the protection stone.

john tv said:

You better don't mess up my Cha Cha! Cha!

Shiggy

Soneet said:
"We"? Were you one of the people responsible for the translation? If so, I like the name Dash Juice from the demo as opposed to Power Juice in the previous installments :)

I believe he is at 8-4 Ltd.:
"Shibuya-based 8-4, Ltd. is a localization firm that specializes in making Japanese games more palatable for the Western market."

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
john tv said:

Nice! Knwoing you guys worked on it makes this that much more awesome.

I ended up winning $60 for my NCAA bracket, so thats my Tri money right there, lol :)

Bit of a bummer though, my wife and I are huge fans and were not going to be able to quest together unless we do some crazy shenanigans :|

Luigiv

john tv said:

Wait, you worked on the localisation? Did you have any say in the Monsters' English names or was that out of your control, because I have some constructive criticisms.

Boruborosu and Beriorosu to Barroth and Barioth. Seriously? No one saw that as an issue in a game with no voice acting?
Agnaktor could have also used an extra vowel. Agnakotor rolls of the tongue much nicer.

Other then that, sounds like you guys did a great job on the rest.

fernoca

Well, just ordered one of those Logitech Wireless Keyboards for the Wii..from Amazon. ($17.80 + $19.95 for a 2 year Nintendo Power subscription)

Should be here by next week, when I pick up the game..even though I already have Wii Speak, I know I won't be talking around. :lol

john tv

Luigiv said:
Wait, you worked on the localisation? Did you have any say in the Monsters' English names or was that out of your control, because I have some constructive criticisms.

Boruborosu and Beriorosu to Barroth and Barioth. Seriously?
Agnaktor could have also used an extra vowel.

Other then that, sounds like you guys did a great job on the rest.
Haha. Thanks -- the monster names were decided by Capcom in collaboration w/the dev team -- so even if you don't like 'em, at least know that they come with the original creators' blessings.

grendelrt

Ordered mine with release day delivery on amazon.

I was at target and they had wii speak on clearance for 20 bucks so i grabbed that as well!

john tv said:
Haha. Thanks -- the monster names were decided by Capcom in collaboration w/the dev team -- so even if you don't like 'em, at least know that they come with the original creators' blessings.
More like curse. They could have sticked to Giginebura, or maybe Giginebra, but Giginox?

I mean, really? :'(

sprsk

Sammy Samusu said:
More like curse. They could have sticked to Giginebura, or maybe Giginebra, but Giginox?

I mean, really? :'(

Giginox isn't bad, probably one of the better names imo.

Eteric Rice

A buddy of mine bought the PSP monster hunter, so I tried playing it.

Yeah, I don't think I've ever had a game make me feel like I had cerebral palsy before.

gotee12

Eteric Rice said:
A buddy of mine bought the PSP monster hunter, so I tried playing it.

Yeah, I don't think I've ever had a game make me feel like I had cerebral palsy before.
Yeah the controls are goofy. But once you get used to the finger hooking (or "the claw" as others put it), it becomes much easier to control. I'm currently working on
a full set of cephalos armor
in MHFU.

Finger hooking. The claw. Sounds like hell week in some frat house...

Luigiv

L00P said:
I'm a total MH noob here. Should I go for the CCPro bundle? I already have a CC. Any key differences?
CCP should be a little more comfortable, though I haven't had any issues playing with an original CC.

gogojira

I'd heard that Gamestop wasn't taking pre-orders for the Classic Controller Pro bundle online anymore, but I didn't know that applied in-store, too. Found out the hard way today.

I bet I can hop into a Best Buy on launch day and find one -- at least I hope.

NoRéN

gogojira said:
I'd heard that Gamestop wasn't taking pre-orders for the Classic Controller Pro bundle online anymore, but I didn't know that applied in-store, too. Found out the hard way today.

I bet I can hop into a Best Buy on launch day and find one -- at least I hope.
Damn, I feel stupid for waiting. Amazon is not taking pre-orders either.

taoofjord

So I tried the demo and I'm VERY intrigued. I'm probably going to pick it up but I have a question:

The game seems really blurry, and the text is especially hard to read. Does anyone have difficulty reading the text? Any word of the retail game having sharper text -- or maybe there's a setting on my TV that is being funky (I have sharpness all the way up when I play the demo).

GOOOORGEOUS graphics though! Every area is like a perfectly crafted location from an amuement park ride.

taoofjord

My apologies, with a google search I found out that the demo does not support 480p but the retail (obviously) will. Problem solved, I'm happy, bring on the game. :]

Poyunch

Lost my wallet recently. I'll probably have enough for this but since I lost my wallet that might mean no SMG2. :O Hopefully I can find it soon (been missing since Monday).

Alex

That's odd, I remember the very first MH on PS2 having a guide. It was terrible :lol So much misinformation and bullshit and flat out wrong stuff. Still it had it's uses.

sprsk

If I have time I might write up a small beginners guide for preparing yourself for battle. Simple stuff, but I know it can be hard figuring that most of that stuff out.

Matchew

Yeah it would be great to have a guide. I figure this might be a first MH game for a lot of people, so it is weird not to have one.

Matchew

sprsk said:
If I have time I might write up a small beginners guide for preparing yourself for battle. Simple stuff, but I know it can be hard figuring that most of that stuff out.

Please please please do this. I really like the game, but man is it hard to figure everything out, and I only played the demo.

Teknoman

The official topic is going to be packed with info, probably going to be as awesome as the SFIV topic.

EDIT: Wish the game had a quick screenshot function.

Top Bottom