• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate announced for Wii U/3DS, coming to West, no 3DS online

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
img_contents01_pict01_wii-u_full.jpg

img_contents01_pict02_wii-u_full.jpg

img_contents01_pict03_wii-u_full.jpg

img_contents01_pict04_wii-u_full.jpg

img_contents02_pict01_wii-u_full.jpg

img_contents03_pict01_wii-u_full.jpg

img_contents03_pict02_wii-u_full.jpg

img_contents04_pict01_wii-u_full.jpg

img_contents04_pict02_wii-u_full.jpg

Into. My. Veins.

And yes it needs to be quoted.

Doombear

Into. My. Veins.

And yes it needs to be quoted.

It ABSOLUTELY does. Wow, words don't exist for the yay that I feel when I see these images. This coming from someone who has been playing the hell out of MHP3 HD Ver. in the last month. This though, it just is so crisp, so ... right. The wait is going to destroy me.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Welp, looks like Capcom has decided I will be getting a Wii U by March at the latest.

Alex

Yay, a redrawn UI and anti aliasing. Thats all I really wanted. They love to laze on that shit in HD ports.

the Wii U version will be the first MH I play never got around to getting the Wii version so I am pleased that this is coming out

Better place to start, IMO. Vanilla Tri was a big let down for me and this looks to bring it back to the 2G/Unite peak.

Hobby

For you guys in Japan:

Preorders for the MH3GHD Wii U bundle start this Saturday (10/6) at participating shops. Quantities are limited.

Arla

Yay, a redrawn UI and anti aliasing. Thats all I really wanted. They love to laze on that shit in HD ports.

Better place to start, IMO. Vanilla Tri was a big let down for me and this looks to bring it back to the 2G/Unite peak.

In terms of content sure but Tri fixed a lot of the crap from the second generation.

Alex

In terms of content sure but Tri fixed a lot of the crap from the second generation.

It had a nice polish pass but the content and weapon systems got fucked, as a ranged user I was especially pissed. There's a reason they've now reneged on all of that shit. Tri G will likely be what I wanted Tri to be in the first place.

So the models are better than the 3DS but worse than the Wii. Or am I just crazy?

3DS game had better shadows and a little better character models. The Wii version had much better textures than the 3DS version. The Wii U game looks to be a combination of both running at 1080p.

Alex

Well, it's not going to wow anyone who isn't a fan. It's a Wii game ported to 3DS ported to Wii-U and cleaned up a little. People are just happy they did a bit past the bare minimum as they actually did clean it up a little and have it running at 1080p proper with a redrawn UI.

I've seen some really lazy HD collections, so I'm happy enough.

It had a nice polish pass but the content and weapon systems got fucked, as a ranged user I was especially pissed. There's a reason they've now reneged on all of that shit. Tri G will likely be what I wanted Tri to be in the first place.
That's simply their modus operandi.

They didn't have time to re-create all the content on MHTri so they released it, gained money from it and then proceded to complete it.

3G/Ultimate is that completed vision. No doubt the same will happen with the fourth installment too.
Has it been confirmed that Cities that can hold more than 4 people?
Most likely, it's still bound to the 3DS limitations seeing it even has cross-gaming with them. The real difference is that now it can connect via the internet... to 3 other people that is.

deviljho

Well, it's not going to wow anyone who isn't a fan. It's a Wii game ported to 3DS ported to Wii-U and cleaned up a little. People are just happy they did a bit past the bare minimum as they cleaned it up a little and have it running at 1080p proper with a redrawn UI.

I've seen some really lazy HD collections, so I'm happy enough.

I'd like to see a built-in keyboard on the gamepad.

deviljho

Most likely, it's still bound to the 3DS limitations seeing it even has cross-gaming with them. The real difference is that now it can connect via the internet... to 3 other people that is.

The Wii version (MH Tri) was limited to 4 people Cities due to Wii speak. The 3DS is limited to 4 due to local multiplay (i.e. you didn't need more than 4).

Point is, the Wii version could have had more than 4 in the city. I am interested in know if Capcom finally fixed this.

Emitan

They didn't have time to re-create all the content on MHTri so they released it, gained money from it and then proceded to complete it.

3G/Ultimate is that completed vision. No doubt the same will happen with the fourth installment too.Most likely, it's still bound to the 3DS limitations seeing it even has cross-gaming with them. The real difference is that now it can connect via the internet... to 3 other people that is.

There's no reason for the 3DS to limit the amount of players in an online lobby. It's not like the 3DS will be playing online.

Alex

3G/Ultimate is that completed vision. No doubt the same will happen with the fourth installment too.

It wasn't until Tri, they had a big vision with Tri that it was going to be this total reboot where they'd start from scratch, comparing it to MH1. It sounded bad on paper and it was even worse in execution considering how flat certain elements and rebalancing work went (ie; bowguns, which are now properly reverted in 3rd and Tri-G)

I think 4 will be slimmer than 2G or 3G, for sure, obviously, but I don't think they'll nix things to that extent again. We'll see, I just hope the system design in 4 doesn't disappoint, because it could use some shakeup, it could especially use some new side systems and variations for end game to keep things sharper.

The Wii version (MH Tri) was limited to 4 people Cities due to Wii speak. The 3DS is limited to 4 due to local multiplay (i.e. you didn't need more than 4).

Point is, the Wii version could have had more than 4 in the city. I am interested in know if Capcom finally fixed this.
That's what I was trying to say; I'm betting no.

3DS links to it as if it is another wii U (and for the 3DS infrastructure it's as if the wii U is another 3DS), so other than upping the graphics a bit and doing integrated in-game tunneling for online they won't be really differentiating it all that much.

I'm completely new to Monster Hunter and interested in this one. What the difference between this and the second generation? Or portable third? There's so many weird branches of monster hunter now.

Arla

Japan had 10 people lobbies right? It's definitely possible for it to be more than 4 but we just don't know at this point.

I think 4 will be slimmer than 2G or 3G, for sure, obviously, but I don't think they'll nix things to that extent again. We'll see, I just hope the system design in 4 doesn't disappoint, because it could use some shakeup, it could especially use some new side systems and variations for end game to keep things sharper.
Perhaps, nuking classes on Tri was clearly an error.

That said I'm looking at 4 and finding it to be a bigger undertaking than Tri seems like in retrospective. It's very ambitious and open-world for the platform it's in (not that it's a bad thing) but takes resources.

Arla

I'm completely new to Monster Hunter and interested in this one. What the difference between this and the second generation? Or portable third? There's so many weird branches of monster hunter now.

1st Generation
Monster Hunter, Monster Hunter G, Monster Hunter Freedom.

2nd Generation
Monster Hunter 2 Dos, Monster Hunter Freedom 2, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite

3rd Generation
Monster Hunter Tri, Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

You get the mainline numbered Monster Hunter games and then their expansions.

The difference between 2nd generation and 3rd generation are better graphics, a new weapon (switch axe), better hit boxes <---VERY BIG DEAL, tweaks to old weapons/monsters attack patterns.

The difference between MH3U and P3rd are that MH3U has more content and is actually getting localized with proper online.

deviljho

Video of 3DS touch screen features - which will likely be ported to the Gamepad screen. I hope they add a keyboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWuIsazRoLM

Not really confirmed or denied, but I think if they had upped that then it would be a feature (and thus, get a mention).

Anyway, after thinking about this, due to the DSP in the Wii U, it's safe to say that there will be 8-12 player cities regardless of voice chat and barring any dumb moves by Capcom, of course. Japan Tri had 8 and previous games also had 8 or so. I would put an avatar bet on that, but unfortunately, I have a prior arrangement, as you can see...

1st Generation
Monster Hunter, Monster Hunter G, Monster Hunter Freedom.

2nd Generation
Monster Hunter 2 Dos, Monster Hunter Freedom 2, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite

3rd Generation
Monster Hunter Tri, Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

You get the mainline numbered Monster Hunter games and then their expansions.

The difference between 2nd generation and 3rd generation are better graphics, a new weapon (switch axe), better hitboxes <---VERY BIG DEAL, tweaks to old weapons/monsters attack patterns.

The difference between MH3U and P3rd is more MH3U has more content, is actually getting localized with proper online.

Well that's certainly good. Is MH3U the same as Tri? A friend of mine could lend that to me. Or is it merely a remastered + bunches of extra content version, and if so, how much and what content?

Top Bottom