• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 has already sold 2 million copies in Japan (4 days)

Road

No he's not. Capcpom specifically ssid "sales" in the press release.

A sale to Capcom is a shipment.

screenshot_2013-09-171bshy.png

Yep, and it's also double the amount of Wii Us sold in Japan to date.

Yes, while that may be true, the Vita comparison was brought up because there are still numerous people who act like the game would have sold better on the Sony system.

Ah, thanks anyway :)

Unless I'm out of my mind, didn't they end up with Monolith Soft as a sort of 'consolation' for that deal not going through?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
interesting.

Does Ninty own shares for other game companies?

Of course, the most important one: The Pokemon Company with 32%! :p

They don't own any other shares in other video-game companies to answer your question! When is Atlus sale going to be confirmed btw? lol It's taken ages hahaha

Of course, the most important one: The Pokemon Company with 32%! :p

They don't own any other shares in other video-game companies to answer your question! When is Atlus sale going to be confirmed btw? lol It's taken ages hahaha

i think the pokemon company shares are split three ways, but it's not confirmed how the profits or IP rights are split.

Dalthien

Not necessarily.

You're comparing shipments with sales to consumers.

All in all, the two titles seem to have had remarkably similar starts. Even similar press releases!

MHP3rd - Press Release
MH4 - Press Release

The MHP3rd release just says 2M, whereas MH4 says exceeded 2M, and the MH4 release is with one less day of sales - but that's all pointless minutiae. I'm surprised at how similar the two have started. I expected MH4 to start slower - and still expect it to fall behind the pace of MHP3rd over the next month or two - but MH4 will have its own XMas season later, whereas MHP3rd had the XMas season and launch all kind of rolled up together.

I understand the idea of a cash milking franchise but rarely does such a popular title not .. progress to console systems. Is there any other franchise besides Pokemon that is this way? And it is perfect for handhelds, but well .. also perfect for consoles. This was a series originally designed and built on the PS2. And if this is all about it being popular on handhelds, why not put it on the Vita and up the fidelity a bit? It would not dip at all into your profit margins for the franchise projections.

Oh well. We'll see what Capcom does with the franchise here this next 7 years. Hopefully they grow a pair and put together a massive production to show the world what this franchise is capable of. Heck I bought the Wii U just for Monster Hunter lol. I wanted to play it on the big screen, not with my head cranked looking down having to squint to see any fine details in the environment. I dunno ... just find it hard to believe this series is truly meant for handhelds.

zroid

Banned
If you're implying that X/Y is going to beat it, then it doesn't really work because the pic states "third-party".

Technically Pokémon is considered third party in Japan, oddly enough (although you're right I did misread the image lol)

I do wonder if there will be more Capcom support for the 3DS now.

Would love to see another RE title

how about reviving DMC PSP on 3DS, surely that was well into development and DMC is already represented in PXZ.

Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 3D Edition is WAY overdue.

I still have wishes of a 3DS version of the original Lost Planet; use EX Trooper's gameplay engine (it is a spin-off after all) and RE: Revelations' graphics engine, would look unbelievable.

And for the fuck of it; RE5 3D, I just like the idea of them tackling 360 to 3DS ports ala SSFIV, that was a damn fine feat, I want to see it done again.

And as for Nintendo shares, they also own shares in Genius Sonority. Likely also naturally own shares in Game Freak and Camelot, hell, what if they own shares in Next Level Games and Monster Games? Maybe not.

They DO, if the entity still exists, own shares in Silicon Knights.

zroid

Banned
Ah, no it's not?

Even if you want to say it's published by the Pokemon Company, iirc, they are a subsidiary of Nintendo last I checked.

Just because The Pokemon Company publishes their own games? I wouldn't count that technicality. Still wholly owned by Nintendo.

I thought they were only partially owned by Nintendo?

Man the division of Pokémon rights ownership is a mess I will never fully understand.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Ah, no it's not?

Even if you want to say it's published by the Pokemon Company, iirc, they are a subsidiary of Nintendo last I checked. NCL still handles the marketing for the games, too, as you can see here: http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/xy/product/

Just because The Pokemon Company publishes their own games? I wouldn't count that technicality. Still wholly owned by Nintendo.

Game Freak =! Pokemon Company

But Nintendo usually publishes anyway so it'll never move to a new platform anyway.

It is meant for handhelds for it's target country, which is Japan.

But how can they possibly rather play the game on a handheld when it is about connecting online with other folk, hunting in rich environments and fighting massive bosses? That screams PUT IT ON THE 40 INCH HDTV to me. Not " squint your eyes to see if that patch of something over there is mushrooms or herbs ". Just don't get that.

Maybe I'm off base completely, but I think if they took this game and put it on consoles in Japan it would sell just fine. How did the Wii U .... ok nm about that ... but how did the last Monster Hunter in Japan perform on a popular console? Wii Version numbers?

squall23

But how can they possibly rather play the game on a handheld when it is about connecting online with other folk, hunting in rich environments and fighting massive bosses? That screams PUT IT ON THE 40 INCH HDTV to me. Not " squint your eyes to see if that patch of something over there is mushrooms or herbs ". Just don't get that.

Maybe I'm off base completely, but I think if they took this game and put it on consoles in Japan it would sell just fine. How did the Wii U .... ok nm about that ... but how did the last Monster Hunter in Japan perform on a popular console? Wii Version numbers?
Well, they could connect to other people physically by just being there. You know? The huge Japanese population densities?

zroid

Banned

There's where you're wrong. As far as I understand it, MH is primarily a local multiplayer game in Japan.

Road

All in all, the two titles seem to have had remarkably similar starts. Even similar press releases!

MHP3rd - Press Release
MH4 - Press Release

The MHP3rd release just says 2M, whereas MH4 says exceeded 2M, and the MH4 release is with one less day of sales - but that's all pointless minutiae. I'm surprised at how similar the two have started. I expected MH4 to start slower - and still expect it to fall behind the pace of MHP3rd over the next month or two - but MH4 will have its own XMas season later, whereas MHP3rd had the XMas season and launch all kind of rolled up together.

If you're gonna read too much into the PR, MHP3rd's said it was the series fastest, while MH4's made no such remark, even if it's (supposedly) one day less for the same number.

(Talking about the Japanese version. The first paragraph for both is actually exactly the same. I guess the translator isn't. :p)

Meesh

Can not believe these sales!! :D Now go west, Mon Hun, go west!!!

Also, if our dear lord and Capgod is listening, release RE4 3DS as a remaster!!! Seriously!!!

Shengar

Well, they could connect to other people physically by just being there. You know? The huge Japanese population densities?

Yeah, Japanese is small island compared to the size of its population. Not too mention that Japan is 80% mountain and 20% flat land which mean the 140 million population would concentrated on that 20%. Now wonder handheld and ad hoc play is pretty popular, not too mention again about commutering there.

Dalthien

I thought they were only partially owned by Nintendo?

Man the division of Pokémon rights ownership is a mess I will never fully understand.

All that really matters for game discussion is that Nintendo has a controlling stake in the Pokemon videogame series. It gets murkier when you get into the other aspects (trading cards, etc.) because The Pokemon Company has some autonomy to pursue their own marketing efforts of the brand - but Nintendo controls the videogame portion of Pokemon.

Hey Aquarine, I know it's not related to MH4 but a longtime ago you asked if Nintendo owned shares Namco Bandai as they had previously invested in them prior to the merger. I contacted Investor Relations at Nintendo and they confirmed the following:

Nintendo owns 1.73% of NAMCO BANDAI Holdings' shares as of March 31, 2013.

Thank you. If you're curious, here is an explanation of the relationship between the two:

Nintendo's Corporate History with Bandai / Namco Bandai

August 19th, 2003: Bandai management refuses to agree on a potential Nintendo buyout, settles for Nintendo purchasing a minority stake instead

September 16th, 2003: Nintendo purchases 1,280,000 shares of Bandai (260,000 shares from Mattel, the rest from financial institutions) (2.6%)

September 29th, 2005: Nintendo's shares of Bandai transfer to the new company, NAMCO BANDAI Holdings; Nintendo gets 1.49% of the company

May 1st, 2007: Namco Bandai sells 80% of Monolith Soft to Nintendo, keeps 16%

May 30th, 2011: Nintendo owns 3,845,700 shares of Namco Bandai (1.63%)

2011: Namco Bandai sells the remaining 16% of Monolith Soft to Nintendo, Nintendo now owns 2,320 shares (96.7%) of the company

March 31st, 2012: Nintendo owns 1.73% of Namco Bandai

May 28th, 2012: Nintendo owns 3,845,700 shares of Namco Bandai (1.75%)

March 31st, 2013: Nintendo owns 3,845,700 shares of Namco Bandai (1.73%)

June 3rd, 2013: Nintendo owns 3,845,700 shares of Namco Bandai (1.75%)

Nintendo's current deal with Namco Bandai to have Monolith Soft work with Banpresto on new games, the fact that Nintendo continues to be a shareholder in the company, the collaboration with Smash Bros. U + 3DS, and NBGI's large amount of 3DS support define the close relationship between the two companies.

Top Bottom