• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 - Logo, Releasing Spring 2013, Screenshots, [Up: Trailer]

Eusis

Aren't Japanese gamers used to the claw by now?
The claw works on the basis that you're using a sub-optimal finger (index finger) to perform a vital, but not particularly demanding function (camera control). Can you imagine trying to move your character with the index finger while your thumb is the one on the camera? It's the one disadvantage no one pays attention to when swapping the D-Pad and Analog stick from the Dual Shock orientation to the Xbox one, you can't just use your index finger to press a direction quickly for something like camera control or item switching when the D-pad is under the analog stick.
I'm basing my "Capcom is not happy with the sales" thing off this thing:

https://twitter.com/gibbogame/statuses/206299675446349825
Didn't Sven shoot those tweets down? Then again Sven seems to have a mixed history here, and in either case it's not unlike Capcom to have absurd expectations.

Tenbatsu

Barcelona lost!

All teams battle tactics are almost identical, it just up to which are able to perform them flawlessly under pressure.

Didn't Sven shoot those tweets down? Then again Sven seems to have a mixed history here, and in either case it's not unlike Capcom to have absurd expectations.
I think, the installed based of the Wii was much larger then in the west compared to 3DS; moreover, they probably are adding the effect of 3G not being online ready too.

So maybe they thought Tri sold good in itself, but not good enough to warrant sales of 3G on 3DS.

Clearly any fool with an opinion can be a contributor to Forbes. Would I like to see MH on PS360? Sure, I'd love to, but this is just a pathetic piece.

Forbes hires fanboy writers now? smh...

weird article, man

is Forbes really so desperate for gamer hits?

Trying to find the source but these people aren't even really hired. A lot of them aren't paid and Forbes doesn't fact-check their stuff unless it blows up. It's basically as if Kotaku just let a bunch of their commenters write.

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/...-of-contributed-content-means-for-journalism/

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505124_...ur-content-we-took-it-fair-and-square-update/

http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/14/vox-populi-vox-forbes/

Forbes.com's videogame coverage is about as reliable as a your average N4G link bait.

Ok I'm a bit late to the party here, but holy this trailer has me hyped. Sure some of the textures on the environements are pretty poor, but then again, the character models, the new animations and gameplay looks absolutely incredible. It seems like the weighted movement feel is still there (thankfully) but now the whole traversal has been shaken up completely.
I am hyped, and no amount of huge ass low res textures can change that. Monster Hunter is amazing, and this seems like the much needed evolution for the gameplay.

Makes me want to go back to Tri. I really really hope Capcom is bringing 3G to the West in some capacity.

StuBurns

Banned
I love the trailer, it seems to indicate a real progression for the series, and in a direction that makes it far more appealing to me. It looks pretty crummy, which is surprising coming from Capcom, they've certainly shown they know the hardware, but there's still plenty of time for improvements in that area.

Did a million between Europe and US iirc. However that was with a lot of fanfare and marketing from Nintendo. It was something of a failure in Japan. The series just isn't nearly as popular on consoles.
Lot of marketing for MHTri? Seems I have missed that here in Germany. Was there, like a big push in the US?

gogogow

Did a million between Europe and US iirc. However that was with a lot of fanfare and marketing from Nintendo. It was something of a failure in Japan. The series just isn't nearly as popular on consoles.

How is MHTri a failure? Didn't it hit it's target sales? Even though it was thanks to a pricedrop, but still. It was also the best selling MH game and the only million seller in the series on consoles. And don't forget you had to pay full price for the game and on top of that a monthly fee to play MP in Japan. If it can sell close to a million in the west with no online fees, I really wonder how much it can "truly" do in Japan.

Yagharek

Lot of marketing for MHTri? Seems I have missed that here in Germany. Was there, like a big push in the US?

Monster Hunter Tri got quite a few ads in Aus. Usually 'quite a few' is any here, since they are so rare. I think MH2 on PSP got similar ad coverage too, since it was one of the first in the series to come here.

The series really needs a big push though to get any serious kind of attention here though. It's still very much a niche series.

Hopefully MH4 comes out here though. I'm worried it won't :/

fates

At a japanese event? :p

Amusingly enough that's where Sven tells us MH related announcements (yes, even for North America) would occur.

Though I have a feeling that's more of a "oh my god stop bothering me after [insert gaming event] here", than it is truth.

Synless

Im pretty excited if and only if it come to the US and it has online. Believe that I wish it was on a platform with better graphics, but Im not upset it is coming out on 3DS.

yankee666

I just saw the trailer and it looks great!!!. This is gonna be a truly step up in the series, climbing walls, monsters, jumping attacks. My 3DS LL will be waiting for you MH4 :)

Eusis

Im pretty excited if and only if it come to the US and it has online. Believe that I wish it was on a platform with better graphics, but Im not upset it is coming out on 3DS.
I think they confirmed online for MH4? But yeah, I don't see them skipping this unless the prior games completely tanked, I could see MH3G either skipped on due to a perception it'd do the worst due to the lack of online or any workaround, or not even skipped but being held back a stupidly long time. They SEEM to do reasonably well, and it's not as if localizing them should be expensive.

Arla

I think they confirmed online for MH4? But yeah, I don't see them skipping this unless the prior games completely tanked, I could see MH3G either skipped on due to a perception it'd do the worst due to the lack of online or any workaround, or not even skipped but being held back a stupidly long time. They SEEM to do reasonably well, and it's not as if localizing them should be expensive.
Nope. Pure speculation at this point.

Raide

How difficult are MH games if you import Japanese version?

Is it playable?

Not that text heavy and you can memorise what objects are and menu positions for things you need. Combat is pretty simple. Plus there are plenty of resources online to find out the more difficult stuff.

Eusis

Nope. Pure speculation at this point.

Afaik they haven't comfirmed anything yet, not either local multiplayer, let alone online co-op; all we know - i.e. climbing and jumping - we can just guess watching official trailers.
Hoped they'd have confirmed it for sure... though they'll likely need online outside of Japan, and the 3DS does seem more online capable than the DS and PSP were.

Not that text heavy and you can memorise what objects are and menu positions for things you need. Combat is pretty simple. Plus there are plenty of resources online to find out the more difficult stuff.

Thanks. I have no faith that capcom will bring this or the previous game over so its good to know.

Eusis

Thanks. I have no faith that capcom will bring this or the previous game over so its good to know.
I'm not fully expecting it, it WOULD be like Capcom to not bother bringing out one of the most popular game series in Japan just because it can't also be one of the most popular in NA or Europe, even if it still does really well, but it seems to me at the least mainline entries would be worth bothering with.

Doombear

Agreed. So many great resources and while it is a more legwork to simply find out what you need to upgrade, or what you need to kill to get it, it is all worth it if it is the only chance I will have at playing the game. LL + MH3G / MH4 seems like the way to go for me.

Emitan

Kinda want to import a Japanese 3DS LL for this in case we never get it. I've already begun learning Japanese anyway...

Truth101

Banned
Kinda want to import a Japanese 3DS LL for this in case we never get it. I've already begun learning Japanese anyway...

Import it and get some games that have furigana overlay for the Kanji, that way if you don't know the reading for a Kanji you can easily look it up. Great way to learn.

Emitan

Import it and get some games that have furigana overlay for the Kanji, that way if you don't know the reading for a Kanji you can easily look it up. Great way to learn.

Yup! I ordered Pokémon Black 2 off Play-Asia yesterday because the whole game is in katakana.

I think there's a big difference between 3g and 4 in terms of importance. Also, there's not a lot of text so they could make it available digital only if they didn't want to do retail and spend little effort/money. It seems like a quick way to earn some money if they didn't want to do retail. It also seems like they are making changes to the game to make it more western friendly.

Top Bottom