• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 TGS 2012 trailer

Twinduct

Lol saw you on the other thread, did you not read my reply? The lack of games that support the XL Circle Pad Pro = Slim; therefore wait for 3 Ultimate to be released then you'll likely find it. If you cannot wait get one from eBay/import.

OT: dissapointed it's another axe =S

Snap though this was the thread and I couldn't find my original post!
Diving into my post history to find it, thanks though for the cross post. Yeah hoping there is some 'complete' package for the game.

But push come to shove, JPN CCP should be compatible right?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Charge Axe sounds like something I'd use but it's perhaps a fluff weapon that isn't necessary or potentially makes other weapon types unnecessary (ie why go for a less versatile real sword and shield that doesn't have the merged mode which I imagine makes it more powerful when power is what sword and shield lacks, or also why go for a longsword which can't block at all when the Charge Axe has a similar charged special etc). Also, why is it another axe, why not something more unique. It basically sounds like another throwaway addition that while it could be enjoyable may not be great enough to make the cut for future games once re-evaluated unless they come up with a cool way to differentiate the moves and strategies available in each mode.

New weapon and area revealed.

- New area is an ancient forest.

New weapon is called a charge axe
- Can be separated into a sword and shield that allows for quick, consecutive attacks.
- Charge energy that's stored up via attacks. Combine the sword and shield to charge.
- Energy is stored in a bottle on the sword's hilt. Once it begins to glow yellow it can be charged. Continue to attack after the bottle starts to glow yellow and eventually it'll begin to glow red, which charges even more energy.
- Also has an axe mode that has a long reach and great power. Can unleash attributive attacks with charged energy, as well (meaning, like, lightning, water, etc.).
- Axe mode has a finishing technique that requires additional button input? (QTE?), which can stun enemies.
- Can also attack while transforming the charge axe into its axe mode, or vice-versa (transforming from axe mode to sword/shield mode).

Wonderful. Ancient Forest sounds like a fun place to explore along with the deep underground cave they announced before. Awesome they are adding new areas, that's a crucial thing for this sequel I feel. New areas probably full of great ways to utilize the new leaping attacks.

Charge Axe sounds great to and can be switched into a sword, thats cool for variety on a hunt. The charge attacks and elemental attacks it can do sound like they could be very clutch when needed on a 4 man hunt.

Mieu

Ohh, I miss these stuff! It's been a while since I did a hunt for Rathalos :D

I wonder what kind of deal Capcom and Ninty had to have MH4 on the DS platform.

On a business perspective, I was thinking it was mainly due to the large install base of DS users in general

Snap though this was the thread and I couldn't find my original post!
Diving into my post history to find it, thanks though for the cross post. Yeah hoping there is some 'complete' package for the game.

But push come to shove, JPN CCP should be compatible right?
Yep should do, it's a hardware thing so should be fine. I've already ordered one from eBay to be used on Revelations etc.

Here's a question, do you think Capcom will/should do a MH 1 & 2 HD collection for Wii U? And include online in both (I think they did anyway on PS2). In glorious 1080p and 60fps like MH3U.

I'd buy it, it'd also give us MH2 in NA on a home console if it was localized for the first time.

Here's a question, do you think Capcom will/should do a MH 1 & 2 HD collection for Wii U? And include online in both (I think they did anyway on PS2). In glorious 1080p and 60fps like MH3U.

I'd buy it, it'd also give us MH2 in NA on a home console if it was localized for the first time.

Well, they did do an enhanced port of monster hunter g for the wii so I do think there is a possibility.

Doorman

I'm...not entirely sold on the Charge Axe idea yet, I suppose I'd need to see it in action. So far I'm not entirely sure just what differentiates it from the Switch Axe. Two modes, power-storing phials, elemental effect...it sounds to me like instead of combining the axe with a great sword, they just combined the axe with the sword and shield this time. The bug polearm, while getting a bit odd with the remote-control insect, at least feels a lot fresher from a fundamental standpoint. I hope we get a trailer or something that gives at least a little glimpse of how the two modes interact.

Tenbatsu

buki_13_img01_01.jpg
buki_13_img01_02.jpg
buki_13_img01_03.jpg
buki_13_img01_04.jpg
buki_13_img01_05.jpg
buki_13_img01_06.jpg
buki_13_img01_07.jpg
buki_13_img01_08.jpg
buki_13_img01_09.jpg
buki_13_img01_10.jpg
buki_13_img01_11.jpg
buki_13_img01_12.jpg

buki_13_img04_l.jpg

http://www.capcom.co.jp/monsterhunter/4/

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Whats up with Capcom releasing such messy screens when the game looks so much better in motion ?

Alexios

If the problem is the system ram why don't they use smaller textures and tile them more? I'd prefer tiling over such a muddy blur. Other than that the areas are real well designed, there are really cool stuff in the scans. As I said in the other thread:
Charge Axe looks pretty much like a Slash Axe in merged mode.

And a sword and shield in split mode. Although the sword is longer than normal.

I really hope it feels more unique than this implies, otherwise see my previous comment.

Why not at least make it blunt. Morningstar/hammer/etc depending on model & shield? But how would that merge...

The new areas really look great though. Like that giant skeleton remains area on the last page. Walking in the rib cage.
Edit: site has more new screens than posted, mostly here and here I think.
world_img_22.jpg
world_img_21.jpg

world_img_20_01.jpg
world_img_20_03.jpg
world_img_20_04.jpg
world_img_20_05.jpg
world_img_20_06.jpg
world_img_20_07.jpg
world_img_20_08.jpg
world_img_20_09.jpg

But yeah I don't get why it looks worse than Tri/G technically. Especially since they have freed up memory by not having swimming animations and what not this time. I guess it's all due to the much more uneven environments, but I don't think Tri/G were all that flat, the scenery was more detailed than ever before, they just tended to have the main areas flatter because the gameplay required it since they didn't have all the jumping stuff and AI to exploit them.

Anyway, the game should be pretty sweet regardless. I wonder if the bones mean we get an elder dragon that big, lol.

I wonder what are they doing exactly in terms of graphics to look worse than Monster Hunter 3. At first I thought it was a seamless big world...but that is not happening....

Alexios

Also, are they doing stuff with color correction shader lighting filters or whatever or is this a sub species or something...
monster_img_08_02.jpg
vs
monster_img_08_04.jpg

Doorman

Then Capcom are morons.

Capcom is Capcom. Don't worry, I'm sure we'll eventually get some better textures--in the inevitable Super Monster Hunter 4 HD release a year from now. Even then it they still won't be basing any of this off of actual HD assets. I don't like being cynical about the perception that Capcom is reticent to put in the necessary investment to give Monster Hunter a grand-scale upgrade, but I think the next year or two will be very telling for the franchise.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
All is forgiven is there's less loading screens than Tri.

Same amount of loading screens, but going by the TGS demo, significantly less wait time. Seriously, the loading screen lasted for less than a second in almost all areas.

Boney

Banned
Same amount of loading screens, but going by the TGS demo, significantly less wait time. Seriously, the loading screen lasted for less than a second in almost all areas.

Yep, loading was like half a second to a second

screens are gross, weapon looks weird but this is gonna be amazing

VICI0US

Whats up with Capcom releasing such messy screens when the game looks so much better in motion ?

3DS games just dont translate well to being viewed on direct feed youtube/PC screenshots.

dat 240p resolution.

MH3 and this both look really great in motion on the hardware though, you're correct on that.

Alexios

Then Capcom are morons.
It's how the gameplay works... Many core mechanics will need extensive reworking for it to be translated into an all seamless world successfully. It's probably doable but as long as the games play great, people like them, and they can present fresh ideas in other ways (ie some of what monhun4 is doing) there's little reason to risk the changes.

Korosenai

Man this sucks.

I dont know if i should get it for the wii u for hi def with online or get it for the 3ds for rpg goodness on the go.

Man this sucks.

I dont know if i should get it for the wii u for hi def with online or get it for the 3ds for rpg goodness on the go.

I assume you're talking about mh3 ultimate. As far as I know mh4 is 3ds exclusive... and won't be released outside of japan until a year later :/

Man this sucks.

This game has not been confirmed or even rumored for an HD Wii U release. This game hasn't even had a localization announcement. I think you are confusing this with 3 Ultimate

Something about the ground textures REALLY make the ugliness stand out. It's not really even that much of an improvement over MHP3rd.

gfs_161509_2_40.jpg

Top Bottom