• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate boxart

popyea

The MH4U boxart has been revealed

CNVXN58.jpg

The characters look like they've been hand-rendered. It's all very stiff looking, like it's a collage of separate elements. Why do they think having extra information is worth completely destroying the aesthetic for? Vagueness is less off-putting to consumers than just looking plain cheap.

Kazerei

Banned
Yikes. The angles and poses of the hunters and the monster look awkward. I don't like the colors and the lighting either. My favorite so far is the MH3G (Japanese) boxart, which was really cool because the Brachydios's bright green slime was quite striking against the dark (volcano) background.

Brofield

I think the centre of it all is the flagship monster.

The more I look at it the more I can't stand that dragon. Lagiacrus, Rathalos and Brachydios all look far more intimidating and challenging. This Gore Magala looks dreadfully dull in its own right.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
If the Pal boxart is as shitty, it will be easier to justify an eshop purchase for me.

LogN

I still don't get why Capcom is so lazy with their best selling franchise. Invest a little more, make it for (current gen) consoles and it'll sell.

deim0s

Boring cover art and static.

Old Monhun covers are dynamic, you'd immediately know you'll get some Hunting Action!

Vuze

The more I look at it the more I can't stand that dragon. Lagiacrus, Rathalos and Brachydios all look far more intimidating and challenging. This Gore Magala looks dreadfully dull in its own right.
I think Gore per se is quite intimidating especially in its rage form (which they probably don't want to spoil players on the boxart).
I still don't get why Capcom is so lazy with their best selling franchise. Invest a little more, make it for (current gen) consoles and it'll sell.
:,,)

sphagnum

Banned
Dull colors, uninteresting background, lighting it off (especially since the one hunter on top of the monster is clearly pasted on), monster's at a weird angle so that I couldn't even tell where its head was initially, complete lack of dynamism in the angle or the poses.

Very disappointing.

They should at least use another background.
Something with more red and black. Then it would look awesome.

As it is now it looks like they're riding a dinosaur in Gizar Plains form FFXII.

Toxi

Banned

Gore is a great-looking monster in-game. He really just doesn't work in a static pose.

ss-hikaru

I don't think any of the monhan covers have ever looked great anyway.

Capcom doesnt want his games to succeed at retail, justifying selling them digital.

Based on in-store stock of Tri Ultimate for 3DS in Australia they don't expect it to sell at all. Was so hard finding a copy of this like two weeks after release.

Wow, that looks so unnaturally static. Like they're enjoying a delightful picnic in a sunny field. Goa Magaru just looks like a large mount.

Cue the barbeque jingle playing in my head -_-

Shauni

I've never really understood why it is that companies feel the need to create different boxart for different regions. Is there an issue with paying the artist per region or something? I can understand sometimes when a company feels a cover may not jive with a region, but in this case and many other, I don't get it

Bleep

Capcom USA have been doing strange things with the marketing of 3U and 4U. They changed the box arts of both games from dynamic, unique art to cobbled together messes of concept and game art from different sources. They also didn't use music from the series for their Monster Hunter 3U trailer, opting instead to use generic cinematic music, probably sourced from a royalty free music service. I get the feeling they lack confidence in letting games be what they are and have focused tested their marketing to try and offend the least amount of people rather than showing off how the games are unique.

Here are the box art changes...
Monster Hunter 3G/U:
Monster Hunter 4G/U (Quoted from ArtHands and Jaimonster):

In both cases they have removed unique looking monsters from the box and replaced them with more standard looking fantasy monsters from the games. Most of the box art for Monster Hunter games before these two featured the mascot monster for each title in Japan as well as the rest of the world. It really makes me think they are scared to show off a monster that has a big stump on its head or a monster that has scales flaring out like a pine cone.

Here is the American trailer for Monster Hunter 3U: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybblr8yfAdI They decided not to use any of the high quality and unique music from the series and tried to edit it like a generic movie trailer.

None of this really matters, but I would be interested in hearing from Capcom USA why they are making these decisions.

Ick. Compared to the Tri cover, this one is pretty dull. But I do think there's some merit to the idea of having a cover that shows off that it can more easily play with multiple people due to wifi. I wouldn't be surprised if that had something to do with the final design (although they could have still made it look a bit more dynamic somehow).

I never really considered the idea of getting this game digitally, but it's true that this is the sort of game that you would want to always have on hand. Unless there's a hell of a special edition for this game, I may want to go with this route.

tuffy

The cover is basically a checklist of things about the game in image form, now that I think about it.

• multiple people can hunt the same monster at once - ✓
  • jumping on a monster's back to attack is now possible - ✓
  • oh look, elevation differences are important - ✓
  • flying insects from the staff factor into it somehow - ✓
But yeah, something artistic that captures the spirit of the game would've been far preferable.

Brofield

I think Gore per se is quite intimidating especially in its rage form (which they probably don't want to spoil players on the boxart).

Gore is a great-looking monster in-game. He really just doesn't work in a static pose.

I'll take both your words for it (I didn't even think of it having a rage mode, but for that sake I'll stay spoiler free), but all the same, when compared to the japanese boxart...

Hell, the second one would have been the best boxart in my eyes. Hopefully Custom Boxart community can recreate it with English titles.

tuffy

This bowgunning news is relevant to my interests. It doesn't sound like BYOB from Tri is coming back, but I'm at a loss as to what it could be. Firing while climbing? Crag shot-assisted jumps? A shield attachment that's worthwhile?

I do love bowgunning and had no idea they'd gotten any less awesome in 4.

Toxi

Banned
In both cases they have removed unique looking monsters from the box and replaced them with more standard looking fantasy monsters from the games. Most of the box art for Monster Hunter games before these two featured the mascot monster for each title in Japan as well as the rest of the world. It really makes me think they are scared to show off a monster that has a big stump on its head or a monster that has scales flaring out like a pine cone.
With all due respect, Gore Magala is a far more interesting looking design than Seruregiosu. Gore Magala has a unique look with the covered eyes, the arm-wings on a quadruped, and the purple color. Seruregiosu is Rathian with a sword on her head, and is honestly the blandest mascot monster I've seen.

My favorite mascot is Lagiacrus or Nargacuga.

Top Bottom