• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite Thread

RelentlessRolento said:
lol awesome

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/11/17/monster_hunter_pillow

2132398625_view.jpg

Something physical to take my frustrations out on the next time it screams then electro jumps me.

Just took out a Black Monoblos 8* Guild Quest in about 15 mins with Onslaught Hammer. Kept using sonic bombs when he went under ground, then used flash bombs when he is in rage, when you flash him in rage he just stands there for ages letting you get tons of free hits in. Didn't die once!

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Teknoman said:
Who the hell would want to sleep with Khezu?
:lol Best response.

Anyone seen those Pugi plush dolls? Apparently they respond to clapping and waddle up to you along to the music...

Fussing Pugi is important.

Luigiv

Finally finnished my Tigrex set I've been assembling over the past couple of days. Got the whole set all level 11 with 2 earplug jewels and a protection jewel attached. Now to get back to clearing missions :D.

d0c_zaius

now that adhoc party is out, anyone wanna start a semi-regular hunting group? I could use some help against Shen Gaoren and Akantor urgent quests to get to G rank.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
d0c_zaius said:
now that adhoc party is out, anyone wanna start a semi-regular hunting group? I could use some help against Shen Gaoren and Akantor urgent quests to get to G rank.
As soon as it appears on Europe/UK PSN, I'd be more than happy to get on and help some folks out, or just mess around on endgame stuff. Still play this pretty solidly, and probably will keep doing so until Tri comes out. Look out for B-Genius!

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Issun23 said:
It sounds difficult and the demo does not present a very welcoming situation to newcomers. Advanced armour and large monsters right away are not the best way to start playing. The games proper offer the first ten or so quests so you can get the hang of how the game works. If you like the art direction and monster design and you keep at it you'll be slaying giants in a bunch of hours.
super old post i know, but i was surprised how accessible the demo was to me, considering i'm usually completely clueless and impatient with games like this. plus i'd been warned about how inaccessible the MH series is. took me about 50 minutes or so with a few potions, and a cat wowing and madly dropping bombs all over the place, but i killed the monster. looked like a giant chicken - lots of scratching and pecking. hypnocatrice i think? either way, the sense of accomplishment was enough to sell me on the game and i picked it up on PSN a week or two ago. about to tackle my first urgent, the Giadrome in the snowy mountains - i'm loving the slow pace and depth so far. i can see how the addictions begin!

UFRA

So what is the co-op like in this game?

Is it a game like Borderlands where you can literally play the entire game from start to finish with a friend, or is it a game like Uncharted 2 where the co-op missions are separate from the single player game?

Also, how does it work as far as if two people started the game together, but then later played a little bit alone (say 1 went ahead of the other) would the guy who's ahead be able to go back and play with the other guy to catch him up?

Never had a Monster Hunter game before, but I played the demo and thought it was great. However, the co-op is the primary reason for me to buy it if it's good.

Luigiv

sotodefonk said:
Its like uncharted but pretty similar quests offline and online.

And yes you can go back and help your friend without a problem
Pretty much this though it's worth adding the co-op component is actually substantially larger the single player component.

UFRA

Luigiv said:
Pretty much this though it's worth adding the co-op component is actually substantially larger the single player component.

Cool thanks guys.

Basically I'm looking for a good co-op game that will last tons of hours for a friend and I to play. With Adhoc Party now available for the US, this game just became really appealing to me.

Now I guess the next challenge is finding it in stores? Gonna run to Gamestop tomorrow, hopefully they have it, otherwise I'll just have to order online. I saw Wal-Mart isn't carrying it in stores anymore, and I saw someone here say that Target had it in clearance bins already. :/

Luigiv

AgentOtaku said:
Can't play AD-HOC party as my PS3 is still wirelssly connected =(
Do you have a windows laptop*? If so you can use windows built in network bridging capabilities to get it to work. From what I can tell you'll get the exact same speeds (though you'll need to change your PS3's network settings every time you switch connections).

*Still haven't figured out how to get it to work in OSX, so you'll need to use bootcamp if you have a mac.

Luigiv said:
Do you have a windows laptop*? If so you can use windows built in network bridging capabilities to get it to work. From what I can tell you'll get the exact same speeds (though you'll need to change your PS3's network settings every time you switch connections).

*Still haven't figured out how to get it to work in OSX, so you'll need to use bootcamp if you have a mac.

It's okay. I can wait a few more months for Tri :D

Luigiv

AgentOtaku said:
It's okay. I can wait a few more months for Tri :D
Fair enough but it's not that hard to set up if you find yourself unable to wait.

1. Connect your PS3 to your laptop via Ethernet.
2. Find the option menu in your version of windows that displays all your network connections. This one:
Bb457017.wifitr01_big%28en-us,TechNet.10%29.gif

3. Highlight both your Wireless and Ethernet connections, right click and select "Bridge Connections".
4. Set your PS3's internet connection to Ethernet.
5. ...
6. Profit!

Shiv47

UFRA said:
Cool thanks guys.

Basically I'm looking for a good co-op game that will last tons of hours for a friend and I to play. With Adhoc Party now available for the US, this game just became really appealing to me.

Now I guess the next challenge is finding it in stores? Gonna run to Gamestop tomorrow, hopefully they have it, otherwise I'll just have to order online. I saw Wal-Mart isn't carrying it in stores anymore, and I saw someone here say that Target had it in clearance bins already. :/

I'd say that while the co-op part of the game is very deep, you still have to do the single player stuff, and at the very least do it at the same time you're doing co-op, because the co-op is a higher difficulty level than the single player stuff. You encounter deadlier monsters sooner than you would in single player and need to build your skills and weapons/armor up before tackling them, which is what the bulk of the Elder quests are for. There will no doubt be plenty of people willing to help you out in Adhoc Party, but you must develop the skills to survive on your own first.

Luigiv

Finally tried the game out on Ad-hoc party. Surprisingly lag free, given my shit internet and the long distance (Aus - US). We killed a Kashula Doara and a Chameleos... Soooooo much easier in multiplayer :D. I think it's time I invest in blutooth head set. PS3's soft keyboard sucks balls.

dave_d

Question about Ad-Hoc. Does the US one stop you if you use custom firmware on your psp? Also do you do MHU Mondays all the time?

dave_d said:
Question about Ad-Hoc. Does the US one stop you if you use custom firmware on your psp? Also do you do MHU Mondays all the time?

no it doesnt, althought it says that, at the agreement.. something about "you have to be up to date with the firmware of ps3 and psp" :lol

havent played in a while because of demons souls, but it is like some of you guys said, you will come back for more :lol

more art! :p

seosu8.jpg

Gotta get a CAT5 cable but I'm gonna give this a go tommorow via Ad Hoc. Hit me up if anyone wants to play.

Is it easy to start a game/find people to play with in the US? Are there guys hanging out ready to go?

PSN: AgentOtaku

Luigiv

So close to finishing the elder quests. Just got the Shen Gao Ren and dual Rajang quests to do.

Edit: Wooooh and Shen Gao Ren defeated! So easy (yet so monotonous) with a HBG.

Hmm, looks like they added an Elder Lao Shun Lung quest to Unite, because that wasn't mentioned in the Freedom 2 guide.

Edit, yet again: Managed to repel Lao Shun Lung with only a few seconds to go. I think I'll need to get a better weapon before I try farming him :lol.

Luigiv

AgentOtaku said:
So finally got to try this tonight with AD HOC party. It's fantastic!

...now the only problem is no one wants to HR 1-3 stuff =(
I also need someone to do low rank quests with. Do you want to arrange a co-op session?

Luigiv said:
I also need someone to do low rank quests with. Do you want to arrange a co-op session?

sure man. I live in Germany though. I'm usually able to get on around 8pm Berlin time. I got a wireless keyboard for textchat.
Just let me know

Luigiv

AgentOtaku said:
sure man. I live in Germany though. I'm usually able to get on around 8pm Berlin time. I got a wireless keyboard for textchat.
Just let me know
Ok, Berlin is GMT+1 and my timezone is GMT+8, so 8pm for you is... 3am for me. I don't think this is going to work :lol. Oh well.

Luigiv

My PSP AV cables (Generic Cables with both Component and composite outputs) arrived today and I finally got to play MHFU the way I prefer to play MH, on the big screen...

Now my eyes are bleeding. So very, very badly :(. PSP resolutions + 46" LCD screen = big, jaggy, blurry mess. Cheap cables + Hacked interlace mode + Old 24" CRT with dieing input ports = flickering, super blurry mess. It also doesn't help that the game runs in the wrong aspect ratio.

Luigiv said:
My PSP AV cables (Generic Cables with both Component and composite outputs) arrived today and I finally got to play MHFU the way I prefer to play MH, on the big screen...

Now my eyes are bleeding. So very, very badly :(. PSP resolutions + 46" LCD screen = big, jaggy, blurry mess. Cheap cables + Hacked interlace mode + Old 24" CRT with dieing input ports = flickering, super blurry mess. It also doesn't help that the game runs in the wrong aspect ratio.

Pretty much why I'll just wait for Tri. Despite Dualshock support, cradle, and component cables, it's just too damn ugly. There are some titles that scale well though like LocoRoco. Most don't.

Actually spread the word and got two office mates to buy it. We played during our lunch break today at work ...it was fucking glorious :D

Luigiv

AgentOtaku said:
Pretty much why I'll just wait for Tri. Despite Dualshock support, cradle, and component cables, it's just too damn ugly. There are some titles that scale well though like LocoRoco. Most don't.

Actually spread the word and got two office mates to buy it. We played during our lunch break today at work ...it was fucking glorious :D
Nice. I'm slowly working on my friends to get the game but it'll still take some time before any of them get it.

But yeah, Having played MHFU and the MH3 demo on the same screen makes me really appreciate the effort Capcom put into their Wii engine.

Luigiv said:
Nice. I'm slowly working on my friends to get the game but it'll still take some time before any of them get it.

But yeah, Having played MHFU and the MH3 demo on the same screen makes me really appreciate the effort Capcom put into their Wii engine.

Oh you imported it?

Luigiv

AgentOtaku said:
Oh you imported it?
I borrowed it off a friend, who imported MHG Wii. Haven't played the full game yet, just the demo.

Edit: Played around a bit more with my AV cables. It seems the reason why the aspect ratio was off was because my TV decided to automatically "zoom" on the game signals :|. Setting my TV to "full" not only fixed the aspect ratio, it also reduced a fair bit of the blur :D. Whilst still pretty ugly, it's at least bearable now.

Luigiv

Zim said:
Soooooo......

http://img1.chinagba.com/medias/userup/0911/19104415SI.jpg

I saw this scan showing Monster Hunter Portable 3 for the PSP. :D Has this been known about??? If not, could someone PLEASE translate what every thing else says. THANKS!!

If it has been announced, and I'm just LTTP, freakin awesomesauce!
Ooh, that one's new. The game was technically "announced" a while back, but other then the fact it's in development, we don't know anything else about it. I second the request for a translation.

Tenbatsu

Zim said:
Soooooo......

http://img1.chinagba.com/medias/userup/0911/19104415SI.jpg

I saw this scan showing Monster Hunter Portable 3 for the PSP. :D Has this been known about??? If not, could someone PLEASE translate what every thing else says. THANKS!!

If it has been announced, and I'm just LTTP, freakin awesomesauce!
Basically its saying that the save file for that new Monster Hunter Cat game can be use in the 'soon to be release' MH3P.

Luigiv

Tenbatsu said:
Basically its saying that the save file for that new Monster Hunter Cat game can be use in the 'soon to be release' MH3P.
Thanks Tenbatsu. I figured you'd be the one to translate it :p.

Top Bottom