• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter lines up for Japan X

Thanks to Famitsu and hiska-kun.

http://www.famitsu.com/

zTLYjpR.jpg

JCcXkWJ.jpg

PerVKVL.jpg

cyaVC2u.jpg

Bonus pic: Ichinose finally sees the light of day after spending 5 years in the dungeon!

oxuEUmQ.jpg

Monster Hunter X hasn't been announced for the west (yet).

Neifirst

What are the primary differences between X and the mainline series? I loved 3 Ultimate on Wii U, and will finally get around to 4 Ultimate while it's on sale this weekend since I guess it's never coming to console. Should I wait for X?

KingBroly

Banned
What are the primary differences between X and the mainline series? I loved 3 Ultimate on Wii U, and will finally get around to 4 Ultimate while it's on sale this weekend since I guess it's never coming to console. Should I wait for X?

Just from the trailers, it looks like DMC X MH. It looks a lot flashier. Parrying a charging Diablos would be amazing.

I REALLY want this game to come to the west. It looks amazin.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is worth it. X is a lot more action oriented.

the primary difference between this & mainline series is the introduction of different styles...sorta experimenting with those stuff w/o hurting the mainline series... a lot of people assume that if this is well received by the fans, it will be introduced for the next mainline, which is most likely 5th gen

Dat Capcpom typo-level thread title.
hahaha

Mozz-eyes

Banned
I've played a couple of hours so far. Used the greatsword and sword and shield. So far... eh...

The combat is basically the same. Maybe I'll unlock some more skills and stuff later but there are 4 styles:

Guild - regular

Striker - regular but with 3 ability slots that charge and you can use periodically

Aerial - jumping around a little, hard to control

Bushido - time a dodge right and you can counter

I was really excited, I must say, but it's still Monster Hunter.

Based on my 2 hours so far.

Eolz

the primary difference between this & mainline series is the introduction of different styles...sorta experimenting with those stuff w/o hurting the mainline series... a lot of people assume that if this is well received by the fans, it will be introduced for the next mainline, which is most likely 5th gen

Basically this yeah. Allow them to try new things and and make a big new game without making a new gen (which will probably be on NX).
Some speculation about X coming to NX later too (with western release), but I don't really believe it (for the port I mean, because it's obviously coming to the west for the end of next year or so).

also

Banned
X hasn't been announced for the West and there's a good chance Capcom will skip localizing it in favor of X Ultimate or whatever the enhanced version will be. If there won't be one, we might not get it at all. Even if they do localize it you're most likely going to be waiting for at least 1 year. If you loved 3 Ultimate you should really just buy 4.

As for the differences, you can now choose a hunting style which will affect what kind of attacks you can do and what kind of (de)buffs you get.

Guild style; the weapons basically handle the same as in 4U
Striker style; can use more special moves than other styles
Aerial style: you can jump at any time
Bushido style; you can perform perfect blocks and evades for buffs

The game introduces special moves and is way more flashy looking.
GoldenLividCob.gif
thoraxes1etrlh.gif
RigidMisguidedAntarcticgiantpetrel.gif

You can also play as the cats from the series. The game just came out so it's unclear how viable cat-hunters are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcGZe-uyYsM&feature=youtu.be&t=80

Sakujou

Banned
will wait for the ultimate version.

also looking forward to monsterhunter stories.
man also those streetpass possibilities :(

Infinite

It's pretty much monster hunter all stars, a culmination of the series. The major additions are Hunting Styles, Super Skills and the ability to play as the Palicos.

Oh yeah... Can't wait to see the numbers.

Nice to see Japan X lining up again, it's been awhile.

I have no doubts about this game or ultimate version coming West. I still have a lot of 4 Ultimate to do, so I'm in no rush for this (and neither is Capcpom apparently).

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
X hasn't been announced for the West and there's a good chance Capcom will skip localizing it in favor of X Ultimate or whatever the enhanced version will be. If there won't be one, we might not get it at all. Even if they do localize it you're most likely going to be waiting for at least 1 year. If you loved 3 Ultimate you should really just buy 4.

As for the differences, you can now choose a hunting style which will affect what kind of attacks you can do and what kind of (de)buffs you get.

The game introduces special moves and is way more flashy looking.
GoldenLividCob.gif
thoraxes1etrlh.gif
RigidMisguidedAntarcticgiantpetrel.gif

You can also play as the cats from the series. The game just came out so it's unclear how viable cat-hunters are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcGZe-uyYsM&feature=youtu.be&t=80
Great animations, superb sense of physical impact.

I'm not into the game mechanics, but I'd still love to get a home console version of the game, just to watch some monsters mind their own business.

Zeta Oni

Mind going a little more in depth about this part in particular?

Got a New 3DS yesterday and was planning on picking up MH4 based on the demo. But action games like Bayonetta are my preferred genre, so a Monster Hunter title that plays a little closer to that is something I would be really excited for. Not enough to lose its identity as Monster Hunter, of course....but with some more flavor.

also

Banned

Got a New 3DS yesterday and was planning on picking up MH4 based on the demo. But action games like Bayonetta are my preferred genre, so a Monster Hunter title that plays a little closer to that is something I would be really excited for. Not enough to lose its identity as Monster Hunter, of course....but with some more flavor.

Sorry, don't have the game so I can't provide first hand impressions but gaijin hunter has a video where he showcases most of the weapon-style combos. Timestamps are in the description.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-NxdlQ91Bk

8-4 describe the primary difference by saying that X allowed for 4 different play styles per weapon.

They also mentioned that it was similar to a "Monster Hunter All Stars" in that it had many of the same places and monsters from previous games.

I believe there are 2 new monsters however.

Korigama

It's less Bayonetta or Devil May Cry, and more Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams (in that it's flashier than its predecessors and with some modifications mechanically, but not drastically different so as to no longer be comparable to previous games at its core).

also

Banned
8-4 describe the primary difference by saying that X allowed for 4 different play styles per weapon.

They also mentioned that it was similar to a "Monster Hunter All Stars" in that it had many of the same places and monsters from previous games.

I believe there are 2 new monsters however.
There are more than 2 new monsters compared to 4U. The first trailer alone showcased 4 flagship monsters, as apposed to the usual 1 per game. If they had only added 2 it would have been extremely disappointing.

MLH

Don't Japanese MonHun fans get annoyed by Capcom's nickel & dime act?
Seems like a bad deal to be buying this version when 6 months down the line they'll announce a more complete version with more monsters, quests and equipment. It wouldn't bother me so much if owners could just purchase download the G rank content upon release, but it's released as a whole new title at full price.
I'm glad at least in the west we get the Ultimate version, it'll probably kill the franchise over here if they tried to pull that shit.

Peru

Don't Japanese MonHun fans get annoyed by Capcom's nickel & dime act?
Seems like a bad deal to be buying this version when 6 months down the line they'll announce a more complete version with more monsters, quests and equipment. It wouldn't bother me so much if owners could just purchase download the G rank content upon release, but it's released as a whole new title at full price.
I'm glad at least in the west we get the Ultimate version, it'll probably kill the franchise over here if they tried to pull that shit.

Ultimate versions are superior but both version of the game have more than enough content for one game. It's more that the G versions are absurdly packed than that the original versions are lacking.

Eolz

I'm actually pretty sure this won't get an Ultimate version. This is more a stopgap release before 5 that can still get a western version until 5 is out.
edit: it is more a P3rd situation if you see what I mean.

Top Bottom