• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Online (Capcom/Tencent, CryEngine 3) officially announced

Vinci

Danish
Trailer was a total snoozer IMO. Everyone gets so excited by tech but the art design is bland, the environments look like MH2, the music was bad and the trailer was poorly cut. This looks like Capcom in name only - $100 says the real MH team wants nothing to do with this, just like Frontier.

Yup. Also, I don't think Capcom would collaborate with Tencent if this were something the company was taking very seriously. Would that be an accurate assessment?

Anteater

Where does it say it's an mmo?

The article says it has similar mission structure from the series, but with weather and time changes within the mission.

oh I guess there are bigger hunts that requires "a minimum of 24 players".

Erethian

Yup. Also, I don't think Capcom would collaborate with Tencent if this were something the company was taking very seriously. Would that be an accurate assessment?

They're taking it seriously in the sense that this is probably a good way to get Monster Hunter into the Chinese market.

This is crazy. I knew it was coming from the other thread, but it's still hard to swallow. I'd be really surprised if they can get the combat polished and working well.

Soriku

Yeaaaah...no thanks.

Would much much rather have a MH game from the actual MH team made for the ground up for PS4 than some outsourced online game.

Xanathus

If it's targeting the China market, it most likely will be F2P with bonuses and cosmetic items you can buy with real money. I imagine the Felyne Kitchen equivalent would be monetized since it gives bonuses that are typically sold for real money in other F2P games. 50 cents for a health bar bonus for one mission?

If it's targeting the China market, it most likely will be F2P with bonuses and cosmetic items you can buy with real money. I imagine the Felyne Kitchen equivalent would be monetized since it gives bonuses that are typically sold for real money in other F2P games. 50 cents for a health bar bonus for one mission?

that would suck

It's to my understanding that this game is being developed directly by Tencent, not Capcom.

Should probably expect this to stay in China.

Would rather play a game developed by the MH team to be honest.

Copy from 4chan
http://games.qq.com/a/20130418/000160_3.htm

1、Achieved with CryEngine3

2、Original gameplay with new monsters, old monsters come from 1 to 3 .

3、Can drive vehicles(there are water motors in the end of Promotional video)

4、Environment elements can be destroyed or be used as monster’s weapon to deal with hunters.

Not included in video but in their product description

5、the game world will be effected by weather, time and environments

6、Hunter’s weapon can leave scars on monsters, not only preinstall body parts break.

7、There are active skills in game, will not be used frequently but will play a important role in fight. Hunters can excute team combo skills.

8、New world ("unknown continent") with villages and cities

Parfait

I'll totally give this a shot if it comes to the west. I've been waiting for a monhun on a system I actually own/plan to own, hopefully it won't be crap but that outsourcing is scary...

Krabboss

Probably going to be garbage and never going to get translated, but I'm still interested. Music in the trailer sucked, though. They goofed up the theme song a little bit. And that's a hard song to goof up.

Qvoth

http://mho.qq.com/main.shtml
that's the official site

translating somethings from http://games.qq.com/a/20130418/000160.htm
time of day system, where as time goes by the lighting changes
playable with gamepad,says even with keyboard and mouse you'll still be able to play well
weather changes, some monsters will have different skill sets depending on the weather
sword and shield has a new jumping slash move
greatsword has a new horizontal slash, it's mainly for monster parts that are very tough/hard, maybe has low chance of the sword bouncing
longsword has 2 staged circular slash, wastes a lot of stamina
special move system
after meeting some battle requirements, you can unleash this move

light bowgun's special move is insta-paralyse shot, you fire a shot that sticks on the enemy, and melee attacks needed to detonate the shot for it to activate
longsword's is a jumping downward stab move, but the article says the sword stabs the ground, so maybe there's some aoe effect?
will have battles on transport vehicles, mentions water battles and air battles (battle on airship perhaps?)
unlike MH frontier, this game will have a city/ main hub?
will have plenty of monsters, both from the old and new series, even those from MH frontier
24 player required monster, 大岩龙 which basically means big rock dragon

after reading the link from OP again, there's a line that says "to let the millions of chinese hunters experience the hunting world in an internet game".... so maybe it's meant to be chinese only... really really really hope that's not the case ; ;
i don't even mind not localizing the game since i understand chinese, i just hope there's no IP block

Raide

Funny to see much better graphics but still those tell-tale combat styles. I guess they have to keep some nods in there to Monster Hunter so fans don't say "It should be called something else!"

If it appears on EU shores, I will give it a shot. Looks like fun, especially with all the new additions but clearly still MH.

54-46!

For a moment there I was really excited, but then it dawned on me.. this is an MMO made for a Chinese audience right? not a proper Monster Hunter game?

Qvoth

Requires charging and it doesn't explode instantly as far as I know, the shot will stay on the monster and someone will need to detonate it by attacking it.
Well we don't know about charging, it just says to unleash special moves you need to fulfill some battle requirements

LuuKyK

Looks better, has faster attack animations and doesnt seem to be bore inducing as the other MHs, so at least it has some good things going for it.
imo
Still not enough for me to play it though.

Protocol7

Not really reassured a chinese company is taking care of this, it smells like a bad copy/paste of a really bad copy/paste... Doesn't even feel like it's made with Cryengine for certain aspects... it lacks class... "savoir faire"... inspiration...

I just hope this gives Capcom interest into moving MH to a new engine for example, I was trying to imagine what MH would be like with the one they showed at the PS4 reveal for example. Would be freaking sweet don't you think?

Raide

but you won't like it...

I dunno. Maybe the increased combat speed, the ability to chain attacks together, variety in combat conditions and more players might be the things people want. It might get them to buy Tri-U or MH4 just to see what all the fuss is about. :D

I like the idea and I have no issues with the MMO side but it still does not quite feel like Capcom version.

Copenap

Hm, can't wait to get more information. To be honest I would prefer just a regular MH5 for the big consoles though, but maybe this will become something like that in the end.

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
Holy shit this is the greatest thing ever! The next greatest thing would be when they announce it will release in the west as beta in July!!!! <3

My god PC games will kill me this year! This and dota2? .... PC gaming heaven.

Qvoth

for all we know it might never release in the west lol
and i think OP should link the official site and quote my translations on the OP, just to add the info

SparkTR

for all we know it might never release in the west lol

I doubt it will, at least going by previous examples of Japanese PC games made for the Chinese market. Hell, they released Dynasty Warriors 7 there on Steam and yet no western release.

Xane

Hope this gets localized.
Too bad it's in Chinese and not Japanese, I'd be able to read some of it at least.

Top Bottom