• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd announced

Xater

I think this looks really good. Sadly MH2 didn't click with me the way I hoped for so I think I will pass. I'm still more of a PSO guy.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Dascu said:
Worldwide release this year already, huh? Can't imagine Nintendo being too pleased about this.

Smart move by Capcom, using Nintendo to expand Marketing for that IP and then announce 360 MHU and MHP3 in the same year. This is even better than the RE4 situation xD

Wolf Akela said:
Worldwide? Where was it mentioned?

capcom released a press release calling the tilte monster hunter freedom 3 (or similar), it wouldn't make sense if it was just announced for the JP market only.

dunno about worlwide, though. should read the PR better.

I dunno, I'd rather wait for a solid confirmation. Siliconera might have taken more meaning than they should have when Capcom threw the "Monster Hunter Freedom 3" term.

Awwww hells yes!!

Of course I would prefer to hear about a new PS3/360 MH game. But I'll take this too!

Graphics look fairly consistent with the Tri version, and pretty amazing for a PSP game. Good step up from the 2G I say. I'm glad they are going with new towns and new maps and not just directly porting over the Tri stuff. Looks like this is the real deal, and Tri was almost a prologue for this.

Also I'm glad that a couple of the upper level MHP2G monsters are back! Plus looks like we get everything from Tri too. But it looks like water monsters like Lagi, and Navaldeux are cut which is a shame:(

Well, I like how Famitsu and Jump teased announcements about SRW and Tales while this one was kept secret.

So June is 360 MH Frontier, August is PSP MH Diary...must be October for MHP3? Kinda surprised if siliconera localization news are confirmed, seems pretty quick.

Celine

Tenbatsu said:
04.jpg

for the cat game
Neo Geo Pocket logo
Can't be unseen :D

sillik

Banned
Trailer looks fuckawesome, but i'm kind of bummed out they took out most of the old monster classes. Yan Garuga is my favourite monster in the series ;(

edit: also no elder dragons ?

Kuran

Banned
Not that it matters, but I wonder if the underwater sections were cut due to hardware limitations.. in any case, it makes sense to differentiate MHTri with MHP3 in that way.. so people don't hold out on one or the other.

Hey Spindoc!

Capcom PR
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e100316.html
Capcom Announces "Monster Hunter Freedom 3" for Release
at the End of 2010!
- The wait is over! The game that started a craze is back! -

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) is pleased to announce the release of "Monster Hunter Freedom 3" for the Sony PSP® (PlayStation®Portable), set for Late 2010.

"Monster Hunter Freedom 3" is a hunting action game that puts the player in the boots of a fearless hunter tracking down and fighting ferocious monsters in a breathtaking natural expanse. The distinctive and groundbreaking cooperative game play style of the "Monster Hunter" franchise, which lets friends work together to bring down huge, fearsome monsters as a team has fostered a new level of communication and interactivity in video games, and has spawned the social phenomenon known as the "Monster Hunter Craze". As well as recently being awarded the Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry Prize, an award that commends the people who created it, and receiving a Special Award in the games of the year division at the Japan Game Awards: 2009, Monster Hunter won the highest award and accolades at the CEDEC AWARDS.

The latest addition to the "Monster Hunter" series, "Monster Hunter Freedom 3", adds new elements of communication while enhancing the feel and beloved game play of the series. With the introduction of brand new regions and monsters to the series, an improved Felyne Comrade System, and having polished the cooperative play system that makes playing "Monster Hunter" on the PSP® so much fun, the game's content will not only satisfy players who are already fans of the series, but new users as well.

Also, beginning on March 13th, 2010 for about one month, fans will be able to visit the "Monster Hunter World" exposition at the Greenland theme park in Kumamoto Prefecture and be immersed in the world of "Monster Hunter". There will be Monster Hunter-themed attractions and "Monster Hunter" merchandise on display. We plan to hold even more events like "Monster Hunter World" going forward.

At Capcom it is our continued goal to bring our properties to multiple platforms to provide the best entertainment experiences, and the "Monster Hunter" series is no exception to this. We hope to continue meeting and exceeding the expectations of gamers with our dedication to develop exciting titles for the best gaming platforms available.

【Product Details】
"Monster Hunter Freedom 3"
1. Title Monster Hunter Freedom 3
2. Genre Hunting Action
3. Platform PSP® (PlayStation®Portable)
4. Release Date Late 2010
It doesn't specify regions, maybe siliconera jumped the gun on this one and its only talking about the japanese announcement while using the western name.

D.Lo

What a weird situation. It's not like a PSP downport will hurt sales of the Wii game in the west because people were waiting for the PSP version or whatever, basically no-one cares about PSP anymore outside Japan.

But still, MH3 is still the ONLY major 3rd party sequel to a last-gen franchise ever to be released on the Wii, and it has to be prefaced with a connection to an already announced sort-of-sequel/upgrade on another platform that does honestly suit the game much better. It's one of those things where it feels like it could hurt the Wii game yet people would then skip the PSP one anyway.

Then again, MH3 just won't sell anyway, was at the Aussie preview launch thing the other day, and it's too just difficult for many people to understand its appeal.

ShinNL

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Excellent news. I just hope they bring it over after they said Unite struggled in the West. If they don't, I hope the unofficial translation team for 2nd G get on it straight away.

And chalk another one up for PSP's best year since 2008!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games#PlayStation_Portable
That's not entirely correct. The whole reason Unite didn't sell as well as they hoped was because almost all 'fans' were playing the pirated, fan-translated version. I was really fed up with the community, pirating so blatantly. They kept saying nonsense like that they will buy the game when it gets released in the west. Well guess what, most were still playing 2G and not Unite when it did get released! Hmpf, I wonder why!?

Fan translations are one of the biggest reasons why people weren't buying the game. I hate it when those same people dare to call themselves fans.

Anyway, this is good news. MHP needed some sort of reboot as it was getting cluttered.

Those who are saying that this is a form of RE4'ing: you're dead wrong. This wouldn't be any different than PS2 + PSP versions, except that Tri is being released on the most popular console of this current generation. Now if they announced a HD version of Tri, that would be RE4'ing.

To be honest, I don't like people HD begging. I don't like Wii begging either (downgrades). Begging is just a form of showing you can't afford (more) consoles.

Luigiv

Tenbatsu said:
Maybe I played too much MH3, the graphics from the PV is hurting my eyes >_<
But its good for PSP thou.
Yeah, I really hope those quick and easy downscaled textures on the Tri monsters are place holder. They're way too saturate (obvious to accommodate for the bloom in Tri) and the detail doesn't show through when the monster is more then 2 metres away from the camera. The team really needs to sit down some artist and have them redraw them all from scratch.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
sillik said:
Trailer looks fuckawesome, but i'm kind of bummed out they took out most of the old monster classes. Yan Garuga is my favourite monster in the series ;(

I'm at work, so no video.. Is it implied in the trailer that most of the old monsters are out?

Kuran said:

Yo! :D

Soneet said:
That's not entirely correct. The whole reason Unite didn't sell as well as they hoped was because almost all 'fans' were playing the pirated, fan-translated version. I was really fed up with the community, pirating so blatantly. They kept saying nonsense like that they will buy the game when it gets released in the west. Well guess what, most were still playing 2G and not Unite when it did get released! Hmpf, I wonder why!?

Fan translations are one of the biggest reasons why people weren't buying the game. I hate it when those same people dare to call themselves fans.

I think localization time hurt the game more than anything. I'm willing to bet that a bulk of the import sales would cross over to the Western release had they been released within the same window of time.

sillik said:

I'm sure there will be elder dragons. Just because something was not in the trailer does not mean it will be in the full game.

All the MH trailers are like this. Even the Tri ones. They leave out some of the last secret monsters so that it will be a genuine surprise.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Dra-Q said:
*Looks into his crystal ball*

PSP4000 to be released with MH Portable 3rd summer 2010 in japan.

More like Fall/Holiday Season.

Gwanatu T

Soneet said:
Own game: yes.
Port of Tri: no.

Uses elements of Tri.

Excellent. I could have guessed judging from the colors and theme used here, as it's decidedly different than Tri's. I'm loving the Japanese Samurai-era theme a lot, as it's definitely different from the more tribal theme of past Monster Hunter titles and makes the game stand on it's own more. Giant bear/reptile hybrid monsters? Sweet.

spindoc said:
I'm at work, so no video.. Is it implied in the trailer that most of the old monsters are out?

No. Pretty much all the Tri monsters are in except the water ones based on the trailer. But even Roarudorosu made it into the trailer even though he is amphibious. So I am holding out hope that other amphibious types like Lagi will be in the game too.

Some MH2 & 2G exclusive monsters are in the game too like Tigarex and Nargacuga made it into the game. This means the Tigarex & Nargacuga armor and weapon sets seem to have carried over too. But otherwise the armor and weapons look straight out of MHTri.

In the trailer they show 2 of the brand new monsters. Some kind of armored hedgehog. And the wolf dragon thing.

They show going into battle with TWO AI cats in full armor.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Fuck yes! Best news in a while.

Can't wait to import it and help the translation patches again.

Edit: Damn! US Capcom already announced the game?! Capgod!

Oh I just noticed giant hedgehog thing was eating honey! He is like a giant Poo bear!

Gun lance is back which is awesome.

Guild hall has a giant Daruma in it.

Oh and you can walk around town with your cats now!

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
PuppetMaster said:
Oh I just noticed giant hedgehog thing was eating honey! He is like a giant Poo bear!

Gun lance is back which is awesome.

Guild hall has a giant Daruma in it.

Oh and you can walk around town with your cats now!

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Great news for PSP/MH fans, and I can't believe it took this long. Timing is still a bit weird..since they had waited this long I just assumed they had some sort of agreement with Nintendo. Apparently not. :lol

Interesting how they are trying to position this as different from Tri..maybe trying to convince people they have 2 different main series going on at the same time? Interesting.

Tenbatsu

Kuran said:
Not that it matters, but I wonder if the underwater sections were cut due to hardware limitations.. in any case, it makes sense to differentiate MHTri with MHP3 in that way.. so people don't hold out on one or the other.
Its sad that underwater combat is not in the PSP game, I was hoping that they will improve and create more monsters for it. There were only like 4 main water monsters in MH3, sort of underutilized. If there is no MH3G, I hope underwater combat will still be in MH4.

selig

Banned
Wolf Akela said:
I was gonna buy a Wii + that MH3/CC bundle just for MH3.

Not anymore. I hated the bloom in the demo. Portable version seems to have more content, and NO BLOOM, and is actually colorful and not blurry/washed out.

No more question. Thanks for saving me money Capcom, I'll buy MHP3 day one, I just hope it doesn't take forever to get to the US.

wow

I really don't understand why people think this is somehow "RE4-ing" Monster Hunter Tri. It's not a direct port, and it's being announced roughly seven months after Tri's release in Japan. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the PS2 port of RE4 announced before its Gamecube release?

It seems obvious that Capcom simply wants to continue to make Monster Hunter a multi-platform series, and given the current market, it's totally understandable.

MH3 for summer, Portable 3 for Winter! Thats my lineup. Anyone think the Capcom USA rush to localise this around the same time sort of strengthens the belief that 2011 will be DS2 vs PSP2? FF13 Agito looks like it might make yet another platform change if it isn't out this year :lol

HOWEVER, going from MH3 dual analog camera control back to THE CLAW might be a bit hard. At least theres proper online in there this time though!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Xater said:
I think this looks really good. Sadly MH2 didn't click with me the way I hoped for so I think I will pass. I'm still more of a PSO guy.

This. I try every outing in the series, rage at the shitty camera and vow not to be fooled again. Yet, another demo comes out for the next one in the series and the cycle repeats.

Goddamn it, Biohazard Outbreak team! JUST MAKE A NEW FUCKING OUTBREAK! AT LEAST I CAN FUCKING ENJOY THAT SERIES THAN THIS ONE! ARGH!

Dascu said:
Worldwide release this year already, huh? Can't imagine Nintendo being too pleased about this.

Considering Japan is the only place (maybe Europe, but def. not America) with a massive following of the series, as here in America it's niche and the fans are hardcore (some enough to turn other people away from the series, but that's another topic): Nintendo of Japan got what they wanted out of the deal already. Maybe Nintendo America/Europe aren't too thrilled, but I can't see it cannibalizing sales in America any worse than they would be already for the series.

Top Bottom