• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Riders announced for iOS, Android

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

Via Gematsu, and also the official Japanese site.

A great calamity once attacked this land—.
10 dragon rider knights, later called “The Ten Great Dragon Knights,” saved the land from the great calamity—.
A new connection was formed between humans and monsters, and several hundred years passed…
But this continent of Felgia, where humans and monsters live in union, is about to once again become engulfed by a dark malice.
The story is set on the continent of Felgia, where humans and monsters live in union. Gather, raise, and combine familiar monsters from the Monster Hunter series with a unique ensemble of riders to form your own party and take on quests.
Combat uses a refreshing command battle system with flashy skills and that you can play smoothly.
The game combines smooth progression with refreshing command battles that employ flashy skills.
Nearly infinite party customization is possible through the combination of various components of monsters and riders.
Rathalos, Zinogre, Nargacuga, Glavenus, and other popular monsters from the Monster Hunter series will appear one after another. More monsters will be added through future updates.
As the leader of the Riders Guild special agency known as the “Dispatch Observation Party,” you will command monsters and riders, and solve the mystery of the dark riders undermining peace in Felgia.

---

The engine and the core gameplay appears to be a cleaned-up version of the 3DS's Monster Hunter Stories (excellent game), so this could be a step toward an eventual Stories 2.

Fbh

Looks decent, seems to be going for more of a taming "pokemon-ish" style.

But regular full priced monster hunter is already too grindy for me so I imagine the F2P mobile version will be much worse in that regard

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
If this is their replacement to the old handheld Monster Hunter experience, i hate it and i'm very against it.

If this is just an off-shoot project that won't change anything, then sure go for it.

If this is their replacement to the old handheld Monster Hunter experience, i hate it and i'm very against it.

If this is just an off-shoot project that won't change anything, then sure go for it.
Speaking of handheld MH, I wish they'd fix the minor frame pacing issue that occurs in MHXX.

And maybe I'm just being pessimistic but I've given up hope that Capcom would make a new MH for Switch. That MHW money is too strong.

Rathalos, Zinogre, Nargacuga, Glavenus, and other popular monsters from the Monster Hunter series will appear one after another.
Of the four presumably popular monsters they listed, I wonder if Rathalos is actually popular as a design or simply because Capcom has always put him at the forefront of their branding.

I will say that he was quite tolerable in the MH games that I did play (4U and onwards). I don't imagine I'd like fighting him after reading stories about the Rathalos World Tour.

I really enjoyed Monster Hunter Stories on iOS and this looks like a decent game as well. I hope it's not F2P and if it is, I hope it's not monetized to death. Best case would be 20€, just like Stories. I'd be willing to pay that much.

NAI1210

I'm sure it will be an offshoot, the switch will get the proper portable monster hunter games, whilst xbox and Sony get monster hunter world sequels, this could be a good way to help finance those games.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of handheld MH, I wish they'd fix the minor frame pacing issue that occurs in MHXX.

And maybe I'm just being pessimistic but I've given up hope that Capcom would make a new MH for Switch. That MHW money is too strong.

That's probably what Capcom thinks, what i don't understand is that one doesn't exclude the other: you can make World AND a Switch MH and they both can be successful.

Especially if you consider that handheld MH games have sold more in Japan than World.

Pejo

If it's premium i will def get it.
F2P tho can fuck right off 👍
From the site (translated by Google):

title
Monster Hunter Riders
Genre
RPG
price
Basic free (with item charge)
platform
iOS, Android

If Monster Hunter Stores 2 died for this....

Otherwise, I'll give it a shot if it's localized.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Of the four presumably popular monsters they listed, I wonder if Rathalos is actually popular as a design or simply because Capcom has always put him at the forefront of their branding.

I will say that he was quite tolerable in the MH games that I did play (4U and onwards). I don't imagine I'd like fighting him after reading stories about the Rathalos World Tour.
Each of the 6 forms (Rathalos/Rathain, Azure/Pink, Gold/Silver) are milestones in their respective HRs with really good armor and weapons. I'm sure it helps that Rath has been there since the beginning, too, but I always look forward to Rath fights, personally.

That's probably what Capcom thinks, what i don't understand is that one doesn't exclude the other: you can make World AND a Switch MH and they both can be successful.

Especially if you consider that handheld MH games have sold more in Japan than World.
If I had to guess, part of it is because all these newer games (MHW, RE2, DMCV) have sapped Capcom of its workforce.

Notice how it takes them quite some time to bring in returning monsters? The increased fidelity comes at a cost.

I'm not even sure if their Portable team exists.

Also, I haven't kept up with the sales numbers but I seem to remember that global sales of MHW eclipses that of the handhelds. Japan's sales has shown that Switches sell but Capcom has been eyeing the global market forever.

Maaaaybe they will make a Switch MH someday, but it's been three fucking years since Capcom knew of the Switch specs and all they've done is a few enhanced ports and a few overpriced ones. I don't think we've gotten a game specifically made for the Switch by Capcom yet.

Sigh. And sorry to get you wrapped up in my monthly Capcom rant.

Each of the 6 forms (Rathalos/Rathain, Azure/Pink, Gold/Silver) are milestones in their respective HRs with really good armor and weapons. I'm sure it helps that Rath has been there since the beginning, too, but I always look forward to Rath fights, personally.
Heh, you've conveniently left out the deviants.

Them being milestones must be Capcom's way of inducing Stockholm Syndrome: "You will bang you head against 'em until you like 'em!".

I don't mind Rath fights in the games I played because at least they no longer spend half the mission in the sky.

There were a few personal milestones for me: Adept blocking Rathalos' teleporting poison claw dives and cutting off Rathian's irritating poison tail.

And I suppose beating Gold and Silver (which is just the first midboss fight in God Hand!) in MH4U.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
If I had to guess, part of it is because all these newer games (MHW, RE2, DMCV) have sapped Capcom of its workforce.

Notice how it takes them quite some time to bring in returning monsters? The increased fidelity comes at a cost.

I'm not even sure if their Portable team exists.

Also, I haven't kept up with the sales numbers but I seem to remember that global sales of MHW eclipses that of the handhelds. Japan's sales has shown that Switches sell but Capcom has been eyeing the global market forever.

Maaaaybe they will make a Switch MH someday, but it's been three fucking years since Capcom knew of the Switch specs and all they've done is a few enhanced ports and a few overpriced ones. I don't think we've gotten a game specifically made for the Switch by Capcom yet.

Sigh. And sorry to get you wrapped up in my monthly Capcom rant.

100% agree on this.

Capcom on Switch has perhaps being the biggest disappointment of a gen i'm otherwise enjoying.

They made false promises based on sales of overpriced ports and then it turns out Capcom has no interest to invest a single cent in new games for Switch which makes me agree that there really isn't a portable MH and they probably hope to feel that gap by making easy money on mobile with mtx and lootboxes.

I wish they were more clear from the start on their lack of plans, problem is they also tricked their investors that way.

What's funny is that despite the lack of new releases, they still sold more games on Switch than Xbox One.

100% agree on this.

Capcom on Switch has perhaps being the biggest disappointment of a gen i'm otherwise enjoying.

They made false promises based on sales of overpriced ports and then it turns out Capcom has no interest to invest a single cent in new games for Switch which makes me agree that there really isn't a portable MH and they probably hope to feel that gap by making easy money on mobile with mtx and lootboxes.

I wish they were more clear from the start on their lack of plans, problem is they also tricked their investors that way.

What's funny is that despite the lack of new releases, they still sold more games on Switch than Xbox One.
It's not just Capcom, From Soft was one of the devs advertised as developing games for Switch, IIRC this was early 2017.

Atlus hasn't been doing much either. We haven't really gotten anything new from them outside of announcements for announcements of SMTV.

Basically, the kinds of games you'd expect on 3DS and Vita have been very slow in appearing on the Switch, if at all.

Okay back on topic, Capcom is currently a developer that stands on two legs, one of them is Resident Evil, the other is Monster Hunter.

Every other franchise they continue making games for is either a mini miracle or an act of a stubborn, passionate vet (eg. Itsuno with DMCV or the people behind Tatsunoko vs Capcom).

Those two legs are franchises that Capcom will NEVER stop putting money into, cause RE is considered their global game and MH is headed by the son of the CEO.

Edit: https://web.archive.org/web/2016123...irst-look-at-nintendos-new-home-gaming-system

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
It's not just Capcom, From Soft was one of the devs advertised as developing games for Switch, IIRC this was early 2017.

Atlus hasn't been doing much either. We haven't really gotten anything new from them outside of announcements for announcements of SMTV.

Basically, the kinds of games you'd expect on 3DS and Vita have been very slow in appearing on the Switch, if at all.

I don't know if you can treat all devs as the same issue or even that this is the same level of support we had with 3DS cause in some of the cases you mentioned above it was better before.

In general it's true that at launch many of them weren't confident in the success of the system due to the failure of Wii U so many preferred to wait and see, but now there is no point discussing that anymore, Switch is a huge success and already has a very big installed base for an almost 3 years old console. Those who had real plans to support the system like for instance Square Enix or Marvelous, have started to bring a lot of new games including exclusives.

From Software -> one of those you should have never expected much: they've never been on Nintendo systems before, they don't rely on those sales. I was expecting Dark Souls trilogy to be on Switch by now, it's possible that was originally the plan but as you may know, Bandai Namco fucked up the remaster of the first game so badly that it sold poorly on all systems.

Atlus -> They started working late with the Switch hardware by their own admission. With 3DS they were developing games even before launch, with Switch they started full scale production of SMTV in 2018, a year after the announcement.

But i think this also reflects the weird state of the company. They want to work on Persona as much as possible and probably don't put enough time on their other projects they'd maybe like to destroy but the old veteran developers there still fight for those.

My conspiracy theory is that they wanted to bring Persona 5 on Switch especially after all the love and free marketing Sakurai has done for them, but couldn't because mainline is Sony exclusive so they worked with Koei Tecmo (who is very experienced with the hardware) on Scramble which they literally call it P5 2 on trailers and keep repeating that this is a direct sequel and not just a spin-off.

You'll see SMTV and Etrian Odyssey on Switch but it's gonna take time. After V you may see new SMT spin-offs (since they worked on these new assets and Atlus usually tends to recycle) but don't expect too much cause Atlus is more and more just Persona focused.

Capcom -> I think something happened between them and Nintendo.

We knew they were planning a new strategy to reach global success, but to go from Monster Hunter, Resident Evil spin-offs, and Ace Attorney all Nintendo exclusives to no exclusives anymore, and not even getting their biggest games, that's a big shift.

You may argue with their new strategy they may have stopped with exclusives in general, but that's not true cause they still keep doing those with Sony.

My idea is that they never really planned anything for Switch, with Atlus they did plan stuff but started late, here there truly is nothing, that's why they had to port all those old games to make it look like they are supporting but If you look at their actual catalogue on Switch, you'll see those are very very old remasters, fairly easy and cheap to port. It's nowhere near as comparable as investing in new titles designed for the system.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if you can treat all devs as the same issue or even that this is the same level of support we had with 3DS cause in some of the cases you mentioned above it was better before.

In general it's true that at launch many of them weren't confident in the success of the system due to the failure of Wii U so many preferred to wait and see, but now there is no point discussing that anymore, Switch is a huge success and already has a very big installed base for an almost 3 years old console. Those who had real plans to support the system like for instance Square Enix or Marvelous, have started to bring a lot of new games including exclusives.

From Software -> one of those you should have never expected much: they've never been on Nintendo systems before, they don't rely on those sales. I was expecting Dark Souls trilogy to be on Switch by now, it's possible that was originally the plan but as you may know, Bandai Namco fucked up the remaster of the first game so badly that it sold poorly on all systems.

Atlus -> They started working late with the Switch hardware by their own admission. With 3DS they were developing games even before launch, with Switch they started full scale production of SMTV in 2018, a year after the announcement.

But i think this also reflects the weird state of the company. They want to work on Persona as much as possible and probably don't put enough time on their other projects they'd maybe like to destroy but the old veteran developers there still fight for those.

My conspiracy theory is that they wanted to bring Persona 5 on Switch especially after all the love and free marketing Sakurai has done for them, but couldn't because mainline is Sony exclusive so they worked with Koei Tecmo (who is very experienced with the hardware) on Scramble which they literally call it P5 2 on trailers and keep repeating that this is a direct sequel and not just a spin-off.

You'll see SMTV and Etrian Odyssey on Switch but it's gonna take time. After V you may see new SMT spin-offs (since they worked on these new assets and Atlus usually tends to recycle) but don't expect too much cause Atlus is more and more just Persona focused.

Capcom -> I think something happened between them and Nintendo.

We knew they were planning a new strategy to reach global success, but to go from Monster Hunter, Resident Evil spin-offs, and Ace Attorney all Nintendo exclusives to no exclusives anymore, and not even getting their biggest games, that's a big shift.

You may argue with their new strategy they may have stopped with exclusives in general, but that's not true cause they still keep doing those with Sony.

My idea is that they never really planned anything for Switch, with Atlus they did plan stuff but started late, here there truly is nothing, that's why they had to port all those old games to make it look like they are supporting but If you look at their actual catalogue on Switch, you'll see those are very very old remasters, fairly easy and cheap to port. It's nowhere near as comparable as investing in new titles designed for the system.
I was using it as an opportunity to highlight the fact that Switch isn't getting the kind of support that was hinted at years ago.

I'm not sure if you saw my edit but that page is no longer on Nintendo site, which is why I linked the archive instead.

SE has done a good job of supporting the Switch in my eyes even though I have not bought a single one of those games. After all, my personal taste doesn't change the fact that they did publish three games that aren't ports: Octopath Traveler, I Am Setsuna and Lost Sphear.

Atlus in my eyes has done extremely poorly. I wasn't expecting Persona or Catherine but you need to realize that as of right now, they have a grand total of ONE game they were involved in on the Switch: TMS Encore and from what I read it's still 720p on Switch.

You can't tell me that Atlus couldn't even contract someone to port or remaster stuff like DDS1&2, Trauma Team/Center, Tactics Ogre etc.

My guess is that Atlus has a skeleton crew that has mainly been comfortable developing for the 3DS and Switch development might have been a much bigger hurdle than they thought.

FromSoft...we didn't even get the Metal Wolf Chaos remaster last year. And DS1 Switch was handled by Virtuos and doesn't have the same changes as the other versions (ie. Bonfire graphics). Honestly I don't buy the reason that they've never been on Nintendo platforms before to be a valid one, this isn't a jab at you. I just suspect FromSoft isn't able to manage multiple projects, so until they stop making whatever PS/XB game there is, Switch might never see a proper game from them.

Even fucking Falcom has decided to port Trails of Steel 3; you'd think they would hide behind the excuse of not having ported the first two games to not port the third as well.

Yea the lizard part of my brain also thinks Capcom has some odd beef with Nintendo. Their support has been rather strange though I am remaining optimistic for the DMC3 port and I can't help but feel maybe it's Matt Walker who pushed for it.

Anyway, this post is getting long and I'm having a hard time making sure I've addressed every point. Feel free to remind me if there's something I missed!

DESTROYA

Like most of these type of games I’ll probably try it because of the MH name but once you start having to dump money into to get ahead drop it like a brick.

Top Bottom