• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise |OT| A Whole New World

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
The Hi NInja Sword SnS is a riot! 100% affinity on the weapon!

Best thing is, the top tier build for that weapon only requires a charm with 2 level 2 slots, which should be relatively easy to find.

According to the number crunchers at mh meta, it's about 6% worse than current best, assuming the player using the best dps build never misses a beat and plays perfectly to always be positioned on a weak spot.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It's instant though to be honest I never played regular lance so not sure if it'd the same.

So the numbers are out for 1.0 speedruns and it’s shocking how low the DB rank.

I always thought they were great for damage output. I mean you’re used to seeing lance, gun lance and HH down there, but DB? Shocking.

Edit: I’m on cellphone and replies to you, sorry mate!

Edit2: the data https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...WJOPB92afc9/pubhtml?gid=801298923&single=true

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
They really nerfed Kushala's time spent in the air. Was actually a much better fight.

Apex Arzuros is such a boring fight though.

Last edited:
What do you mean some abilities? All LS have same "abilies" unless you're referring to different ramp up skills. Tigrex GS kills faster than Narga now, that's it.
Poor choice of word on my part. I was thinking of the things gained (eg. Quick Sheath, Critical Draw, the bonuses from negative affinity etc.) from whatever build he's put together.

Are the GS and LS equivalent when it comes to the monster variants, or is that a typo on your part?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
In what sense, raw damage output? Or some abilities?
I2DjZ0W.jpg

0XxXkjp.jpg

Silkbind Boost Rampage skill makes helm splitter so strong.

TheKratos

Poor choice of word on my part. I was thinking of the things gained (eg. Quick Sheath, Critical Draw, the bonuses from negative affinity etc.) from whatever build he's put together.

Are the GS and LS equivalent when it comes to the monster variants, or is that a typo on your part?

Ah that makes sense lol. Yeah I meant Tigrex LS. I saw a video where pretty much the same skills were required, basically a critical build with Quick Sheet. Though you need a godly charm ( dude hade WEX2 and 2 slot, so basically WEX3 charm).

I2DjZ0W.jpg

0XxXkjp.jpg

Silkbind Boost Rampage skill makes helm splitter so strong.
That's a lot of skills you got there, I'm still quite a way off from messing with endgame gear.

Just to confirm, Silkbind Boost increases the damage of your Silkbind skills? How much more does it add if so?

Ah that makes sense lol. Yeah I meant Tigrex LS. I saw a video where pretty much the same skills were required, basically a critical build with Quick Sheet. Though you need a godly charm ( dude hade WEX2 and 2 slot, so basically WEX3 charm).
Quick Sheet is definitely a typo lol.

I don't usually bother with meta builds but from what you said, it seems like Quick Sheath is almost a must for LS builds? (I'm a CB main).

Brazen

Lol this game is great at making you learn. I can beat Rajang, but Rajang + anything else and I’m just running out of time.

I think I need to squeeze more damage out of this lance. These counter-attacks are decent now that I’m getting better. Maybe exploit some elemental weaknesses or something.

Can't go wrong with focusing on crit setups. Just to give you an example/some ideas, my equips:
Night Rains Black w/Weakness Exploit deco
Kaiser Crown
Vaik Mail S w/Offensive Guard & Guard deco
Diablos Vambraces S w/Attack Boost deco
Anjanath Coil S w/Weakness Exploit deco
Golden Hakama
and I have a level 3 & level 2 slot charm for Offensive Guard & Weakness Exploit decos
and you'll have 7 level 1 slots to work with on grinders, resist/defense, whatevers

Which gives me WE3, CB3, CE3, OG3, AB3, & Guard 1. In my opinion offensive guard 3 and guard 1 are the lance's must haves, and with Night Rains Black + lvl 3 Critical Eye I have 50% affinity (or 100% when hitting monster weaknesses) at 40% crit damage. Before I was doing Attack Boost 7 with OG3 with WE/CE and no crit boost skills, just whatever I could fit in. But when I switched to this more crit focused my hunting times went from 15-18mins hunting times on 7* monsters down to 8-12mins, only 15minutes at most on the just released elders.

If your not keen on hitting monster weaknesses switch around decos so your at critical eye 7 and WE 1 (switch Vaik Mail for Kadachi's which also gives Mind's Eye and you'll have to lose an offensive guard deco), the damage isn't much less though.

Probably more efficient gear setups than what I demonstrated also, ive not tried to strategize builds since before 2.0. Other than utilizing the kaiser crown and WE decos.

Last edited:
One of the hallmarks of MH games is the brilliant, often cheeky English localization.
(Images spoilered to prevent bloat.)
iET37gk.jpg

Was skimming through the notes and had to smile at this inclusion.
wr828vI.jpg

The original Japanese text appears to be meme-free: "溶岩のすぐそばにいると、プレイヤーは徐々にダメージを受けます。"
BWNh21p.jpg

YomoーI mean, Dango Girl's knack for mangling monster names is always a fun trope. In case it's not obvious, she's talking about Magnamalo and Rathalos.
h4stJc0.jpg
IoG2hQq.jpg

I don't blame her for mangling this one and it seems like the localizer is (self?) aware that the name is hard to remember.
9g4cmfs.jpg

Hub Maiden shows utter disdain for Jyuratodus but you can't deny it's a far easier name to remember (and that Minoto is best girl, don't @ me).
HdO87dN.jpg

Always thought Master Utsushi (Strider Hiryu/Young Zeku wannabe) was cool since the demo. Him channeling his inner Bruce Lee makes him even cooler.
afPeHkG.jpg

And he's absolutely correct.
iXjzDyv.jpg

Someone had fun including both "trash" and "thrash" in the same sentence. Gnarly stuff.
jpf52wn.jpg

The summary speaks for all of us who've done MH delivery quests. Though I seem to remember Bullfangos and Konchus being a bigger nuisance for deliveries than the large monsters in past titles.

Danjin44

Just to confirm, Silkbind Boost increases the damage of your Silkbind skills? How much more does it add if so?
My helm splitter used to do multiple 60s-70s but now it does multiple 110 - 149s if I aim for the head.

Last edited:

TheKratos

Quick Sheet is definitely a typo lol.

I don't usually bother with meta builds but from what you said, it seems like Quick Sheath is almost a must for LS builds? (I'm a CB main).

Lol yeah I mean sheath, working too much in Excel!! Yeah quick sheath makes special sheath really fast enabling to stay aggressive with the Iai slash/counter follow ups. I believe every LS meta build has it.

Danjin44

Lol yeah I mean sheath, working too much in Excel!! Yeah quick sheath makes special sheath really fast enabling to stay aggressive with the Iai slash/counter follow ups. I believe every LS meta build has it.
Ooooh yeah! once you have quick sheath, its really hard to go back, this is why I struggled with Rajang Arena fight.

Slightly related: I was messing with Quick Sheath a little when I had the decoration to compare some of the melee weapons and I felt like SnS does it the quickest.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Cleared up all of the Low Rank Quests yesterday. It's nice to have those off the table.

I'll work my way through he HR ones over the next few weeks. Most aren't too bad, but I did have quite the struggle finding good people on one specific HR 7 quest. Both times I tried there was a player who died all 3 times. I'm not sure how someone makes it to HR 7 and can still continuously die over and over to the same monsters. Each of the 2 matches it was a different player, but they did happen back to back (hence me going back to low rank in frustration :p).

Cleared up all of the Low Rank Quests yesterday. It's nice to have those off the table.

I'll work my way through he HR ones over the next few weeks. Most aren't too bad, but I did have quite the struggle finding good people on one specific HR 7 quest. Both times I tried there was a player who died all 3 times. I'm not sure how someone makes it to HR 7 and can still continuously die over and over to the same monsters. Each of the 2 matches it was a different player, but they did happen back to back (hence me going back to low rank in frustration :p).
Hah, I went to bully a Diablos in the Village Quests and learnt that monster intros only unlock in the very first time you would encounter the monster; I didn't get the intro when tackling Diablos in the Hub Quests (both low and high ranks).

Can't say I'm surprised about people carting at HR7, going up the ranks is doable via brute force and/or getting carried.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Hah, I went to bully a Diablos in the Village Quests and learnt that monster intros only unlock in the very first time you would encounter the monster; I didn't get the intro when tackling Diablos in the Hub Quests (both low and high ranks).

Can't say I'm surprised about people carting at HR7, going up the ranks is doable via brute force and/or getting carried.
I found a solid group and got that quest done now this morning. 2 people carted but we got it done. Also wrapped up HR 4 quests.

I would say for most part his move sets mostly similar to normal Arzuros but just does more damage, Apex Mizutsune in other hand has couple of new moves and hellfire bubbles.
Ah, I asked him cause I wanna get his perspective so it's cool to have another additional perspective from you as well (I'd like to read from anyone who finds him boring/interesting).

Initially I was wondering what's so different about Apexzuros but as I fought on I noticed he spends most of his time standing on two legs, so as a CB user hitting his head becomes more challenging. And unlike Arzuros he doesn't roll around after a butt slam, so there's one less obvious opening.

If I'm not mistaken his swipes are also less rigid in that he doesn't do it for exactly four times; sometimes he'll stop at three or continue to five, which keeps you on your toes.

And then he has some damn dash strike which caught me by surprise more than once.

I'm definitely forgetting some other stuff at the moment but I think one's outlook on him is partly dependent on the chosen weapon and build.

P.S. I do think compared to a lot of monsters, the Arzuros monster itself isn't as fun because there isn't really any part that's satisfyingly breakable, at best the claws but it's also not as dynamic as breaking off Diablos' horns and tail for example.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Got to HR 8. Also have all the HR 6 hub quests done. Now with HR 8 unlocked I have that village arena quest open.
Feels good to be up to the most recent content.

Danjin44

Essentially what Danjin44 Danjin44 already stated. His move set is slow, boring, and ultimately not varied enough. He's not the only monster like this, but I was hoping for more being the Apex version.
Arzuros was never most exciting monster to begin with, I do really like Apex Mizutsune.

Essentially what Danjin44 Danjin44 already stated. His move set is slow, boring, and ultimately not varied enough. He's not the only monster like this, but I was hoping for more being the Apex version.
I can't help but think his speed is a big factor of why you feel that way.

I assume them picking Arzuros as the first Apex is to act as a sort of teaser, that they hope you'll think "Damn, even lameass Arzuros gets so upgraded, imagine what the more interesting monsters will be like in their Apex form?".

And I have to ask again, lol, what weapon did you use vs Apexzuros??

I just beat Chameleos for the first time last night. Played it online with random and everybody was really good
I received 2 Chameleos Gems from him in my solo hunt, RNG was really good hehehehe.

But yea I like the new Chameleos quite a lot. Him not always being grounded during a fight is already a huge refresher for me. The pollen mechanic is also more involving and less frustrating, without being trivialised like it was in the past by merely equipping anti-steal stuff.

Danjin44

I received 2 Chameleos Gems from him in my solo hunt, RNG was really good hehehehe.

But yea I like the new Chameleos quite a lot. Him not always being grounded during a fight is already a huge refresher for me. The pollen mechanic is also more involving and less frustrating, without being trivialised like it was in the past by merely equipping anti-steal stuff.
I really like that mechanic more than just stealing your items, he basically buff himself if you are not careful and you take it back if you hit him often enough.

Arzuros was never most exciting monster to begin with, I do really like Apex Mizutsune.
Any Mizutsune is good, lol. One of my favourite monsters to fight and the bubbleblight is probably the only mechanic that changes the dynamic of the fight in a way that isn't fully detrimental.

And yea Arzuros is meant to be a sandbag for newer players to learn the mechanics and they updated him nicely from past versions. I'd probably trade him and his kind (Volvidon, Lagombi) for the Yian series though; nothing beats cracking those nuts.

Edit: Replaced "negative" with "detrimental".

Last edited:
I really like that mechanic more than just stealing your items, he basically buff himself if you are not careful and you take it back if you hit him often enough.
Yea it was confusing me at first cause my mind hadn't registered what pollen was (I just kept the buff in mind as Spiribirds) and was just expecting it to be like the past where he stole items; I removed most of my items before starting the first hunt in preparation haha.

Danjin44

Yea it was confusing me at first cause my mind hadn't registered what pollen was (I just kept the buff in mind as Spiribirds) and was just expecting it to be like the past where he stole items; I removed most of my items before starting the first hunt in preparation haha.
The reason I'm glad his not stealing item this time because in Rise there are items called Powercharmed/Armorcharmed and Powertalon/Armortalon, by keep these in you item pouch your overall attack and defence increases by good amount but they are both expensive to buy and pain to craft.
fp7BAOl.jpg
5EeSD3s.jpg

Last edited:
The reason I'm glad his not stealing item this time because in Rise there are items called Powercharmed/Armorcharmed and Powertalon/Armortalon, by keep these in you item pouch your overall attack and defence increases by good amount but they are both expensive to buy and pain to craft.
fp7BAOl.jpg
5EeSD3s.jpg
Yea you could carry those in the past as well though I'm not sure if Chameleos could steal them cause...

At the time I'd just equip the skill that prevents stealing (it's not rare or expensive either IIRC) and that was it, so in the end it was more of a surprise for new hunters than being a mechanic that changed the dynamics of the fight itself.

Really like a lot of the updates to old monsters that MHR has brought about though I'll need to play much more and probably start documenting the differences; I still have to go back and edit my comment above about Apexzuros, lots of inaccuracies lol.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Quick question - Folks above HR 80 or so, do you still have a blue check mark on your Rank 7 hub quests?

I don't know if that is a place holder for future content or I am missing some quest completion elsewhere that will unlock more quests.

I have finished all rampage quests, have both apex hunts unlocked, and have all my village quests complete
(well...not the last trio monster hunt).

F31 Leopard

Quick question - Folks above HR 80 or so, do you still have a blue check mark on your Rank 7 hub quests?

I don't know if that is a place holder for future content or I am missing some quest completion elsewhere that will unlock more quests.

I have finished all rampage quests, have both apex hunts unlocked, and have all my village quests complete
(well...not the last trio monster hunt).
I have a red checkmark. Did you do all speech bubble quests for 7*?

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I have a red checkmark. Did you do all speech bubble quests for 7*?
Yeah, I believe I have. I have red check marks on a all of the quests in my rank 7 hub quests when I page through them (4 pages of hunts).

I still see the chat bubbles but they all have red check marks, am I missing something really basic with those types of quests.

I went 80 hours or so without knowing there was a cahoot nest 😣.

F31 Leopard

Yeah, I believe I have. I have red check marks on a all of the quests in my rank 7 hub quests when I page through them (4 pages of hunts).

I still see the chat bubbles but they all have red check marks, am I missing something really basic with those types of quests.

I went 80 hours or so without knowing there was a cahoot nest 😣.
I just took these screenshots. Check if you're missing any of these quests.
dXYdo2t.jpg
TYSLlBi.jpg
p4d2cPe.jpg

7fV5smt.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom