• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise (PC Version) |OT| A New Fantastic Point of View

demigod

I finally met my match. Valstrax kicked my ass and it was my first time failing a quest. Went online and we kicked his ass though.

Also learned how to do sheathe counterattack with longsword. It’s pretty OP when it connects.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I finally met my match. Valstrax kicked my ass and it was my first time failing a quest. Went online and we kicked his ass though.

Also learned how to do sheathe counterattack with longsword. It’s pretty OP when it connects.
I cant wait for you fight his advance quests version.
ryan-reynolds-smirk.gif

demigod

Goodness, I think I did like 50+ full runs of melding in order to get Quick Sheathe 2 3-2.

Is it me or is online better in Rise than MHWorld? I had so many disconnects back in World I stopped playing online on the final boss(bigass dragon I can't remember name of). So far I've only had like 1 disconnect on Rise but it was just with another person, maybe they left or something.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Disappointing that we don't get the Amiibo exclusive(WTF was this even a thing) Sinister Seal Layered Armor.
You can get a mod to replace the Sinister set with it if you really want to use it.

Last edited:

Alexios

I can't wait to see the new hub, locations, monsters and jump back in, I'll probably be burnt out on Elden Ring by the time the direct hits if I keep this up (but still return to the game later to see all it has to offer past an ending)! It's so great to have had some truly awesome games back to back.

Last edited:

Alexios

I like the european style vs the eastern themes of the base game. The new hub and more importantly the new areas look great, crazy vertical and fun to traverse like the base game stuff.

Though I didn't quite understand if The Citadel is meant to be a single area encompassing several biomes, from ice to jungle, or just that part of the world, with these fully separate areas.

Between the monsters shown here and the ones we had seen already plus many that are bound to be included even if they aren't shown here it's gonna be a pretty great collection overall.

Though going from twin quest waifus to one (smithy) is a definite downgrade, hey, they're smoothing out the controls further so that's great, love the mobility in the game so damn much.

monster01.png
monster02.png
monster03.png
monster05.png
monster06.png
monster04.png
npc_img_05_01.png
npc_img_04_01.png
npc_img_01_01.png
29d96d2d52d4dc43c8ccba1bb4ee76b5e86eedd2.jpg

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Yup just claimed it!

Trying to grind for Rathalos Ruby, Thunder Serpent Orb, Wind Serpent Orb and other items with 5% or less rng

Pejo

Looks like we get new flavors of the temporary wirebugs. They seem to change the riding effects. From the video red might cause berserk status so the monster continues attacking other monsters after you dismount, and yellow seems to give extra shiny drops for attacking while mounted.

Pejo

I'm most excited for the new Bishaten. He was my favorite of the new monsters because his fight was really dynamic. A few stances, you could knock him out of them, he threw stuff that could be used as items, etc. Just way better than "swipes at you, bites at you, hip check" that most monsters get in their base kit. Now that the monster skeletons are mostly all back in the game, I'd love it if they came up with more creative and interactive fights like that. Garangolm is just a bigger, slower, less dangerous Rajang and it's a bit too obvious.

Danjin44

I'm most excited for the new Bishaten. He was my favorite of the new monsters because his fight was really dynamic. A few stances, you could knock him out of them, he threw stuff that could be used as items, etc. Just way better than "swipes at you, bites at you, hip check" that most monsters get in their base kit. Now that the monster skeletons are mostly all back in the game, I'd love it if they came up with more creative and interactive fights like that. Garangolm is just a bigger, slower, less dangerous Rajang and it's a bit too obvious.
I personally like Lunagaron the most among the three lords, he looks mighty dangerous when he stands up on his two feet.

Pejo

I personally like Lunagaron the most among the three lords, he looks mighty dangerous when he stands up on his two feet.
I haven't seen his video yet, but I love stance changes. Anything to make fights more dynamic that you're going to end up doing hundreds of times.

Danjin44

I haven't seen his video yet, but I love stance changes. Anything to make fights more dynamic that you're going to end up doing hundreds of times.
To me he feels Tobi Kadachi when his on its four feet and Goss Harag when his standing up.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

I just checked steam, but there's no "Master Edition" for Sunbreak?
It would be kinda wack if they do the sale Rise now, but then the bundled edition winds up being cheaper than buying both separately.

Nothing to do til Sunbreak so I'm trying bow. I have no idea what I'm doing but things still die faster than when I play weapons I think I know how to play.

Reizo Ryuu

Was talking to a friend of mine about this, but is rise easier than world? I'm currently doing 5 star village quests and I'm still using my starting armour.
He argued I'm probably just used to all the crazy endgame stuff in iceborne, and the wirebug adding a lot of recovery/attack options.

Pejo

Was talking to a friend of mine about this, but is rise easier than world? I'm currently doing 5 star village quests and I'm still using my starting armour.
He argued I'm probably just used to all the crazy endgame stuff in iceborne, and the wirebug adding a lot of recovery/attack options.
It's a mix, but generally yes. We have so many more recovery/mobility options in Rise. Mounting can be abused. Pets even in multiplayer, etc.

Reizo Ryuu

I'm confused by the multiplayer, is there no way to list what quests are currently joinable? Cause it seems like you can only join random quests, or you have to select a quest and just hope someone else is running it.
I guess it's not super bad for normal quests, but the random option doesn't even exist for event quests...this seems like a really weird design choice and a huge step down from world.

Pejo

I'm confused by the multiplayer, is there no way to list what quests are currently joinable? Cause it seems like you can only join random quests, or you have to select a quest and just hope someone else is running it.
I guess it's not super bad for normal quests, but the random option doesn't even exist for event quests...this seems like a really weird design choice and a huge step down from world.
Yea you just pick a quest at the board and it will match you with players on that quest, or as you mentioned you can pick "random".

Reizo Ryuu

Yea you just pick a quest at the board and it will match you with players on that quest, or as you mentioned you can pick "random".
Honestly quite disappointing how it works in rise, I want to do all the event quests in MP, but it seems I'm going to have to join random lobbies and hope someone wants to do them; they should've at least also added the random option for event quests.

Alexios

Lots of new stuff, different switch skill sets to alternate between, newly revealed characters and monsters/sub species, new endemic life, etc. (on top of those in the previous posts that is, I'm mostly including the brand new stuff from today here). Is this the first time we get NPC hunters in hunts?
Swap evade is a new movement ability that can only be used after a Switch Skill Swap. It lets you move quickly in any direction, so that you can dodge monster attacks and maintain your distance.
There are two customizable sets: the Red Switch Skill Swap Scroll and the Blue Switch Skill Swap Scroll. You can use Switch Skill Swap to quickly change back and forth between these two scrolls.
Starburst bugs are beetles that can be found in star-shaped clusters. Once established in a location, they remain stationary there for ages. Their shells are covered in a type of dust that reacts to external stimuli, yielding a change in the creature's color. Upon impact, such as from a monster, the dust detonates. While this detonation will cause harm to creatures exposed to it, the beetles themselves are protected by their hard shells, and will simply flee.
Thornytoads are small amphibians found in their droves in the Resinmires of the Citadel's forests. Their elastic tongues are tipped with suckers used not only for hunting, but also for clinging to wood, masonry, and other creatures. A ferocious breed that will jump to devour anything, even wounded monsters. Their bodies swell when attacked, until they emit concentrated gastric acid that makes even large monsters recoil.
Follower Collab Quests are single-player-only quests where you go on a hunt with various characters that appear in the story.

follower_character.png

base_npc_all-0510.png

action-insects-03.png
action-insects-04.png

monster07.png

monster08.png

monster09.png

They still have the "new locales" section implying plural, but only listing The Citadel. If it's the only new area (that is a full explorable space, not like boss arenas and other such small stuff, shame they don't have any biome/area themed like the coral palace) and it's not gigantic, enough to have each of its varied biomes in a good size (with blocked off paths to some of them for early hunts) I'll be a bit disappointed. I guess we'll still be visiting the previous hunting grounds as we progress through, it's not like they'll keep sending us to The Citadel repeatedly until we tire of it. The rest looks ace!

Last edited:

Pejo

Well, I was originally a little unimpressed with Sunbreak....but HOLY FUCK SNS OILS ARE BACK BABY NEW MAIN WEAPON AHGHGHHAGHHRGHHGHGHGHGH

Golden State Warriors Reaction GIF by NBA
Kid Dancing GIF
Dance Party Reaction GIF
Happy Dance GIF
80S Dancing GIF

*full disclosure, it's only 1 oil, but I'll take it

*edit*

New SA stuff too, looking fun. I wonder what the inputs are going to be to do swtich skill swapping. A single button or..?

Last edited:

Danjin44

They finally gave something interesting looking to IG. That was my main in 4U, but I haven't liked it much since then. Let's see how this version goes. Though it's going to be hard to pry me away from SnS and SA.
I'm personally really digging the Hammer here, I might change my main from LS to Hammer for Sunbreak this time around.

These armors are looking really good. Hopefully they'll let us layer every weapon this time instead of just Rampage weapons. It's so weird having Chameleos LS or Tigrex Lance clash with how my layered armor looks.
Also I only started playing LS this Monday but...

ky8A4FP.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom