• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak |OT| MASSIVE EXPANSION ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Pejo

Damn, that's a lot of value for a single level 5 skill:

fd4kaws07tg91.png

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Played for a bit, the new stuff seem nice and meaty. I'm finally practicing the longsword unsheath attack timing, I've barely used it but it's neat, though it could do more reliable damage, if a monster is rushing through it doesn't seem to get hit by the delayed strikes even if you timed it perfectly.
monsterhunterrise_202szdy8.png

monsterhunterrise_202difxs.png

monsterhunterrise_202pgfji.png

monsterhunterrise_202miio4.png

monsterhunterrise_202umeah.png

monsterhunterrise_202a7eic.png

monsterhunterrise_202jbckz.png

monsterhunterrise_202jydxm.png

Last edited:
Turns out I misread the anomaly investigation cap for the anomaly research level cap. I'm currently at level 81 and I have no idea if this thing just keeps going to 999. Haven't really touched qurious crafting for armor cause I don't to sink in mats into I understand it better. Qurious crafting for weapons is pretty similar to Iceborne though and it's somewhat expensive. Still the potential gains from some weapons is pretty huge. I've held off on using Switch Axe in Sunbreak but now that a lot more of them can have a level 3 deco I might finally start making some sets.

Antique Machina HB going from level 1 deco slot to level 2 slot was around a 10% boost for me cause I was able to slot in Teo Soul with the bigger slot. Same exact skills as an older screenshot I posted except for that deco.

PxtCV0f.jpg

Last edited:

Alexios

I thought I'd check the daily players on Steam and it had a pretty nice daily peak of 127k, after yesterday's 144k. I thought maybe the update caused a big boost but going by steamcharts, though it certainly helped by doubling it at launch, it's been fairly consistent otherwise. That's pretty neat :messenger_ok:
monsterhunterrise_202nicug.png

Last edited:
Somehow Capcom made an RNG grind that's even worse than the charm grind. Qurious crafting is killing my desire to keep trying different weapons cause it's going to be hard to let go of a set you heavily invest in. I think I'll just go all in to being a gunner again.

EDIT: Got the chance to play a lot more and let the changes sink in. Higher level anomaly investigations drop way more mats for the qurious crafting grind. I'm still not sold on the RNG but the investigations themselves are great in providing a variety of random monsters to hunt. Currently at research level 92. No idea what the cap is but I read some say it's 100. It's great that most of the people playing at high anomaly levels are pretty good. I guess they have to be considering how much damage monsters do past level 81 which is when a new set of anomaly quests pop up.

Last edited:

Alexios

Random action shots. Big Barioth! Big Anja too. Does the chick do anything other than look cute?
MonsterHunterRise_2022_08_14_00_07_43_827.png

monsterhunterrise_202v6c3u.png

monsterhunterrise_202y4d3k.png

monsterhunterrise_20207ijw.png

MonsterHunterRise_2022_08_14_01_07_12_789.png

Last edited:
Yup, the cap for anomaly research is 100. Multi monster hunts at high anomaly level are quite fun in multiplayer. Or maybe I just really love using reverse reverse blast dash.

vcvMqzS.jpg

Alexios Alexios the bird gives an achievement if you feed it enough times.

Alexios

What's the fastest way to level and expand anomaly investigations, I still only have lowly monsters like Wroggi and for some reason constantly Lagombi and only up to 15. Does it mostly level the monsters you fight? I fought Lagombi like 3 times in a row and only got higher level Lagombis after.

Also, not being able to capture them is pointless lore and stops you from completing the capture MR monster side quests (but they don't seem to pop up very often), they should be capturable since you can in fact still put them to sleep and maybe get to capture more Qurio materials in return 🤷‍♂️
monsterhunterrise_20224i8c.png

monsterhunterrise_2024vitd.png

monsterhunterrise_20282fxu.png

monsterhunterrise_202j4cbo.png

monsterhunterrise_202m1ilu.png

monsterhunterrise_2026livn.png

Last edited:
So in the Rise PC OT, I posted a comparison of my endgame Fatty sticky HBG set compared to my endgame Rise sticky set and was wondering how powerful Sunbreak sticky sets would end up being. Of course, that was before Capcom released the patch notes for Sunbreak with nerf after nerf to my beloved explosive ammo.

Time to stop others from having fun online again.

8NYUEMt.jpg

I miss how blatantly overpowered fatty set is but we're getting there. Can't wait to see what I can fit in for Sunbreak.

Well... meet the Sunbreak title update 1 sticky set.

G1FjBBM.jpg

Pejo

I don't mean to poopoo the release schedule here, but Sunbreak could really use a big collab or some new fun event quests. Variants are fun and I like the new equipment and challenges that it brings, but something feels missing...

Anyways, here's the updated roadmap:

bor8bhrunnk91.jpg

I don't mean to poopoo the release schedule here, but Sunbreak could really use a big collab or some new fun event quests. Variants are fun and I like the new equipment and challenges that it brings, but something feels missing...
Well, there are new weekly events but it does feel like the player count is dropping at least that seems the case for max level anomalies. Used to be I can join random AR100 hunts really easy but now I can take a piss and the search is still going.

Pejo

Not loving this to be honest.

2np35rjhzfp91.png

e92vxduhzfp91.png

The layered set:
j8knqdphzfp91.png

So apparently you have to do this on PC, but you can select a redeem code for the Switch version. So just buy the PC version to fuck around with D*scord and get a code for the Switch version to unlock one of the ugliest layered sets I've seen.

This layered set will also be for sale directly on the eShop/DLC area.

This whole thing is getting a hard pass from me. I still refuse to use Discord despite all of these companies trying to shove it down my throat.

Alexios

Not been able to play much, will be in mid October, maybe. Enjoy the update tomorrow edit: now! :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Last edited:

Pejo

Edit: oh so the first is the same update as yesterday but I think they kept editing it, it looks different to me.
I really need to start on some layered weapons. Totally forgot they are in now.

mrpants

Discord collaboration finally live but they changed it to only available in the US & Canada. Users have reported VPN works but DLC codes are region locked to the respective regions! At least 1 viewer is required for the drop, alt account view works.

Update: Streaming the demo works too!

Last edited:
Playing high commitment weapons against Flaming Espinas is suicide. I keep eating the nova cause I can't sheathe in time.

Last edited:
I think I'm in love.

K5cCxRJ.jpg

And here I thought pre-Sunbreak LS was powerful. This thing is nuts. And the cooldown is so fast I almost have a new bug ready to use. The 4224 in the previous combo is cause I missed the Offensive Guard timing. It's still crazy.
0JTQxCk.jpg

Powercreep!

Man they sure are going with some skill powercreep. That new Espinas effect sounds fun for DB, provided you can not get 1shot.
It's a must have comfy skill for me. Intrepid Heart and pizza cutter is my new go to weapon.

Speaking of pizza cutter, went back to my favorite look. Been playing pretty much nothing but CB lately.
BggzpPy.jpg

Pejo

Man I'm so far behind on updates for this game. I have like 40 event quests to do. Excited to see what we get for the next title update. Hope it's some interesting returning/new monsters and not more variants.

Alexios

I didn't post notes. Chaotic Gore Magala is the added (sort of) sub species (first seen in MH4U it's a halfway molted Gore Magala/Shagaru Magala) and you also get Risen Kushala Daora, Risen Teostra and additional afflicted monsters appearing in the anomaly investigations on top of the rest stuff.

Last edited:

Alexios

I'm assuming this means an elder dragon not already in the game rather than a variant. Which would you want to see upgraded to Sunbreak style (and also afflicted and risen later)? Kirin? Alatreon? Nakarkos? Ceadeus making an impression of Magikarp since there's no swimming/deep waters?🙏

Last edited:
I'm assuming this means an elder dragon not already in the game rather than a variant. Which would you want to see upgraded to Sunbreak style (and also afflicted and risen later)? Kirin? Alatreon? Nakarkos? Ceadeus making an impression of Magikarp since there's no swimming/deep waters?🙏

I'm personally hoping for Namielle and Velkhana. We could use new water and ice weapons but Capcom seems to be intent on doing nothing but more fire monsters.

Skifi28

I've been getting back into Sunbreak lately and I just can't stand the game's direction when it comes to endgame fights. Violet mizutsune for example, it's not that the fight is too difficult or anything but it's just not a monster hunter fight at this point. There's no real attack pattern to learn and become better, it's more like a DMC boss. The floor is lava while there's homing bubbles everywhere in the air while the monster has the zoomies and jumps from one end to the map to the other with very precise hunter tracking.

QLaUsG3.gif

This is not fun design, they made hunters so overpowered so they now have to make absolutely ridiculous monsters in order provide any challenge. I really hope the next game is more traditional, the wirebug was a mistake.

Last edited:

Alexios

Idk, seems like a fine twist to base Mizutsune. Maybe watching experts like this guy will give you clues on how to best it without constantly using wirebugs to flee out of the way which is just the equivalent of sprinting around in previous games, meaning you don't dps as much as when you play well.

Last edited:

Skifi28

It's the usual "beat the crap out of it before it has a chance to enrage/ get any large moves off" strategy. Shouldn't fighting the darn thing be fun instead of trying to end the fight before it starts? There's just too many fights in sunbreak that I'm only doing once.

Top Bottom