• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Series |OT| of endless grinding fun

Wazzim

Banned
nP3oK.png

ibyGAjUL4tTMT5.png

This thread is for hunters looking for Gaffers to play with and general discussion concerning the series.
Remember, system warz is for the Gaming section, this is a peaceful place!

Series History
Monster Hunter is mostly known for it's enormous sales in the west but this so big franchise began very small with the PS2 release of Capcpom's' Monster Hunter' in 2004. This game was one of the few PS2 games with a good online community even though the game only had a cult following. The game was unique because of it's exiting co-operative play, high difficulty and vast collection of weapons, armors and monsters to fight with. Monster Hunter got an expansion with Monster Hunter 'G'. Not long after that the PSP got released and with the many PS2 titles being ported to the system Capcpom saw a chance to increase the games popularity with Monster Hunter Freedom (Portable in Japan). Freedom Unite introduced the game's cats as support during quests. The game's sales bested the PS2 iterations by a mile and had created a bigger, loyal fanbase.
Monster Hunter 2 got released in 2006 and introduced many new weapons like the bow and the use of gems to improve your armor's capabilities.
Monster Hunter Freedom 2 and especially Unite (2ndG in Japan) further widened the fanbase in Japan and in the west. A social gaming boom had been created. It was clear that Monster Hunter had become an AAA class franchise of big importance to the national Japanese industry.
Monster Hunter Tri, originally planned for PS3 but moved to Wii because of high development costs (or shitty dev kit lol) introduced even more improvements to the gameplay, a new weapon and introduced the new exciting way of underwater hunting. The game sold considerably more than the PS2 games and could be seen as the first real console success of the series.
The in 2010 released follow-up of Monster Hunter Freedom Unite called 'Monster Hunter Portable 3rd' took the basic ideas and environments of Tri and some new features like cat armor but it lacked the new underwater gameplay.
Portable 3rd could be called a gigaton seeing it's enormous sales that are closing to 5 million copies shipped in Japan alone.
The successor of Monster Hunter Tri, Monster Hunter TriG (3DS) has been announced just before TGS 2011 and is expected to release in December 2011.
On TGS 2011 itself Monster Hunter 4 (3DS) was announced and even though the trailer was short in text, it was clear that the series would take a radically different path with a more cinematic experience and graphical improvements like real time shadows and new shaders which were made possible by the Nintendo 3DS hardware.

g1kbH.png

ibnZ3yDagD22pE.png

hhDPV.png

ibks5S6SKdLpN6.png

2VAVq.jpg

4KVt8.png

Ly4Jv.png

I recommend the Youtube me! plugin for easy viewing.
Intros
Monster Hunter Intro
Monster Hunter G Intro
Monster Hunter Freedom Intro
Monster Hunter 2 DOS Intro
Monster Hunter Freedom 2 Intro
Monster Hunter Frontier XBOX Version Intro
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite Intro
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd Intro
Monster Hunter Tri G Intro
Recent trailers
Monster Hunter Tri G TGS trailer
Monster Hunter 4 Trailer
MADs
Monster Hunter Zero
Hunting
None
lvLCA.png

GAF nickname, Online nickname, current game(s) playing, region (for PSP versions: Way of play)
PSP/PS3:
Wazzim|Wazzim|MHP3rd|Ad-hoc Party| Europe
Momo|Momo|MHFU MHP3rd|Ad-hoc Party|Europe
Ryuuga|Ryuuga|MHP3rd|Canada
Ken|k e n|MHP3rd|TBD|USA
Murkas|MHFU MHP3rd| Ad-Hoc|Europe
Jonnyram|Jonnyram|MHP3rd|Ad-hoc Party|Japan
SchleimanTank|Nix|MHFU|Ad-hoc Party|Europe

Wii:
Ryuuga|Crusoe (TTLTKA)|MHTri|Canada
Chuckpebble|Joe, Krystle,G Dorofu (QK76QC) |MHTri|USA
Ken|Ken|MHTri|USA
Xane|Xanares|MHTri|Europe
Teknoman|Teknoman (FLAYTP) |MHTri| USA
SchleimanTank|Pixelnix (UNHWE9)|MHTri|Europe
Little Green Yoda|Felix (FMTU9L)|MHTri|USA
Andrex|Andrex (ID4J5X)|MHTri|USA
Billychu|Billychu (E2YPJD)|MHTri|USA

Hub3w.png

Planned 'hunting events' in the near future
Note: I know people may have problems freeing up time for the events so I thought of setting a max duration for weekdays hunts: 1 quest per hunter. If all goes well 1 quest shouldn't take longer then 15minutes for a 4 player hunt depending on the quest so that would make ~1 hour of hunting max+ some minutes of preparations.
You can hunt longer and on different dates if you feel like of course (1 hunt isn't going to get you that full armor set :p) but just to show people that they don't have to clear all their plans for a hunting session!
(disagree? Just comment and I'll see what I can do, it's my first time doing such a thread so suggestions are welcome!)

Europe: None

USA: None

Momo

Banned
Freedom UNTIE player primarily. Currently struggling through portable 3rd (lol language >.>)

I play via ad hoc :)

Ryuuga

Banned
I've gone back to playing Monster Hunter Tri.

Ryuuga|Crusoe (TTLTKA)|MHTri|
Ryuuga|Ryuuga|MHP3rd| Adhoc-play

I also support the idea of the thread but others using this series as means for system warz is unavoidable.

Riposte

To me Monster Hunter isn't about grinding. When grinding starts to take priority over boss strategy, that means I've hit the end of the game.

Wazzim

Banned
Riposte said:
To me Monster Hunter isn't about grinding. When grinding starts to take priority over boss strategy, that means I've hit the end of the game.
You can't beat that next boss without upgrading your weapon/armor. Those will likely need jewels that need grinding to get.

Chuckpebble

Oh, hi, was just looking around for minecraft servers and found this.

Monster Hunter Tri
US Server
QK76QC

Joe HR 90+
Krystle HR 90+
G Dorofu HR 18+

Ken

I've got Tri, Freedom Unite, and Portable 3rd on the PSP.

Would be up for some hunts in Tri and Portable 3rd, but I have no idea how to use Xlink Kai and don't have a PS3. Maybe I'll just grab a PS3 and import P3rd HD if there's a ton of P3rd players. Hmm.

Also does anyone play their Wii through HDMI? If so, how? I want to play Tri on my monitor instead of my CRT with messed up colors but the monitor only has HDMI.

Ken|Ken|MHTri *I'll have to check my Wii for my FC, but can't until maybe two days later.
Ken|k e n|P3rd|TBD

Wazzim said:
Sounds good to me (euro or us time?), any other people that want to join?

I like Wednesdays since I have no class that day but I'll see if my schedule allows for Thursday Night Hunting.

Momo

Banned
Euro time for me. Also any day works.

I could get 2 hunters, as my friend that stays close by would join the ad hoc party

Ken

How is the lag playing P3rd over AdHoc with people from different regions? Probably a dumb idea of buying a $250 machine just to play a PSP game online.

Also, it's region free (P3rd HD and PS3) right?

Wazzim

Banned
I have to work on Wednesday evening :/
Thursday or something in the weekend would work, if everyone is available then of course.

Xane

Is it possible to add where you're from as MHTri's servers are region locked?

Xane|Xanares|MHTri|Europe

Xane

Momo said:
Euro time for me. Also any day works.

I could get 2 hunters, as my friend that stays close by would join the ad hoc party
I'd really like to, but I'm currently low on time. We can go hunt in October earliest, then you can count me in.

Wazzim

Banned
Xane said:
I'd really like to, but I'm currently low on time. We can go hunt in October earliest, then you can count me in.
It's cool, we all have time constraints with school/work/family/friends etc. You can jump in any time you feel like hunting! :)

Added 'Event Quests' section for upcoming hunting 'events', is Thursday good then? And what about the time? Don't want to dictate things for people, we'll handle this democratically :p

thefil

I've been playing Tri over the last few days and I just wanted to gush a bit.

I wish this had been my first Monster Hunter game. They have really nailed the hunting/harvesting balance that was still lacking even in Freedom Unite. I used to hate going to the farm and manually picking at each station, with limited, unpredictable results. Now that you can assign not only specific crops to grow but also send out fishing boats and trade commodities, I feel much more established and empowered much faster, and not like I'm consistently behind.

Knowing from the start that I can hunt freely outside the village and trade points for farm upgrades is another plus, as is the reduced weapon pool which makes it more reasonable for a new or long-away player to experiment with each weapon.

The first monster (King Jaggi?) is actually interesting, having boss moves, the ability to call smaller Jaggis, and a breakable section.

All in all, this is far and away the best Monster Hunter yet. It feels so much less overwhelming. I'm sure I could come up with more things to say, but I have a paper deadline Friday and I should be working on that.

Finally there is a Monster Hunter Community thread.

I have Monster Hunter Port 3rd on the PSP. Can I play with people that have the PS3 version?

Wazzim

Banned
MiniBossBattle said:
Finally there is a Monster Hunter Community thread.

I have Monster Hunter Port 3rd on the PSP. Can I play with people that have the PS3 version?
Yes that's possible.

thefil said:
I've been playing Tri over the last few days and I just wanted to gush a bit.

I wish this had been my first Monster Hunter game. They have really nailed the hunting/harvesting balance that was still lacking even in Freedom Unite. I used to hate going to the farm and manually picking at each station, with limited, unpredictable results. Now that you can assign not only specific crops to grow but also send out fishing boats and trade commodities, I feel much more established and empowered much faster, and not like I'm consistently behind.

Knowing from the start that I can hunt freely outside the village and trade points for farm upgrades is another plus, as is the reduced weapon pool which makes it more reasonable for a new or long-away player to experiment with each weapon.

The first monster (King Jaggi?) is actually interesting, having boss moves, the ability to call smaller Jaggis, and a breakable section.

All in all, this is far and away the best Monster Hunter yet. It feels so much less overwhelming. I'm sure I could come up with more things to say, but I have a paper deadline Friday and I should be working on that.
I'm happy to see you enjoy the game!

Anyone want to help me go through some of the 1 star quests?

I tried soloing that stuff, but it really seems like it's balanced around multiplayer even if you set the party size to 1.

My character is Kuno. I'm playing Monster Hunter Tri on Wii and I'm on EST US.

Wazzim

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Does Freedom Unite still have a following or is it dead now? I wish I had my wii with me to play more tri.
There are still quite a lot people playing it on (EU) Ad-hoc Party.

Oni Link 666 said:
Anyone want to help me go through some of the 1 star quests?

I tried soloing that stuff, but it really seems like it's balanced around multiplayer even if you set the party size to 1.

My character is Kuno. I'm playing Monster Hunter Tri on Wii and I'm on EST US.

I had to re-do most of the level one quests solo. What a bitch to complete.

What time you on? I'll play a little.

Murkas

Very cool thread. I'll put my info down even though I probably won't play as I pretty much 100% MH2ndG and 3rd but I will come back to this thread when the 3DS versions are released. I may play the PSP versions if I come back to this thread and see people needing help

Murkas|MH2ndG+MH3rd| Ad-Hoc|Europe

No Plesioth love

Looks like I'm going to get kicked :(

Wazzim

Banned
Murkas said:
Very cool thread. I'll put my info down even though I probably won't play as I pretty much 100% MH2ndG and 3rd but I will come back to this thread when the 3DS versions are released. I may play the PSP versions if I come back to this thread and see people needing help
Thank you!

Murkas said:
No Plesioth love

Looks like I'm going to get kicked :(
Fucker died in the water once, hated him ever since. I'll change the rules if he's more friendly in TriG.

Teknoman

I've still got my Tri, Wii keyboard...could jump back in and help out newcomers...i'd have to get back used to the game though.

Teknoman

DeaconKnowledge said:
I was going to say this to you in there but the game's keyboard sucks.

Do you know how The great sword charge works?

Definitely snag a USB wireless or normal keyboard on the cheap for this. Those logitech wii wireless keyboards work nicely.

Top Bottom