All credit goes to Camjo-Z for the thread title
Title: Monster Hunter Stories
Platform: Nintendo 3DS/2DS
Release Date: 9-8-2017 (US/EU), 9-9-2017 (AU)
Genre: RPG/Monster Collector
Player(s): 1-2, has Streetpass Functionality and online battles
ESRB: E (Everyone 10+)
Price: 3DS Physical/eShop: $39.99 (Digital Blocks 14,736, roughly 1.8 gigs)
Main Site: Monster Hunter Stories Site
When a monster infected by the Black Blight attacks your remote village of riders, tragedy will thrust you into an exciting yet dangerous world, where you must bond with monsters on your adventure. As the story snakes along, you'll encounter a wealth of side quests and hours of challenging turn-based battles where you must coordinate monster skills, rider skills and enemy attack patterns. The instinctive rock-paper-scissors combat system is a series first, a breath of fresh air for veterans and newcomers alike. It's the perfect entry point into the popular Monster Hunter universe and a game unlike anything else in the series! You can even battle other players online, locally, or via the StreetPass™ feature!
- A vast world filled with uniquely skilled monsters to hatch, ride, and fight beside
- Form a team of monsters and execute powerful combo attacks
- Every monster's genes contain a unique set of skills and attributes. Channel genes from one to another to customize your own monster!
- Varied side quests and challenging battles bolster hours of gameplay
- The first ever turn-based battles in Monster Hunter series history!
Find eggs to make Monsties your companions
- Throughout the game you'll explore various monster dens to scavenge for items and eggs. Egg patterns determine what monster is inside, and monsters can earn various stat bonuses depending on where you tap an egg to hatch it.
- Through the Rite of Channeling, you can move genes from one monster to another, giving them new skills, stats, or even new resistances.
- MHKita is a pretty useful site for determining what type of monster you'll get from each egg: MHKita Egg/Quest Site
Form a Kinship with your monsters to be able to ride them and explore various locales!
Run, swim, and fly across multiple areas in your search for the cause of the Black Blight!
Fight off monsters in turn-based, rock-paper-scissors combat!
- Foes will pick either a Power, Speed, or Technical attack move. Power beats Tech, Tech beats Speed, and Speed beats Power. Predict your opponent's moves to be able to counter and do extra damage to them.
- Pick the right moves to quickly boost your Kinship with your Monsties to be able to perform special attacks with them by riding them in battle!
Other activities available throughout the game:
- Search across the world for 100 lost Poogies to earn rewards
- Upgrade your gear through the smithy
- Use Catavans to fast travel across the land
- Scavenge for materials in true Monster Hunter fashion
You can tap in a compatible Amiibo figure to get special items once a day:
Compatible Amiibo List
Alternatively, if you own the Japanese Monster Hunter Amiibo, you can get special monsters depending on the Amiibo you tap in.
Male/Female Rider - Rathalos from the MHS anime, rarity level is 5
Navirou - unlocks Aptonoth from the MHS anime, rarity level is 2
Cheval - Rathian from the MHS anime, rarity level is 4
Dan - Quiropecco from the MHS anime, rarity level is 3
Avinia - Barioth from the MHS anime, rarity level is 6
Battle Tips and Tricks from ggx2ac
Double Attack > Combo > Basic Attack
Basic attacks are good but combos give you extra damage on the finishing move if you can pull it off.
However, Double Attacks can do more damage than combos so prioritise a double attack if you can see it happening.
The Rider's notes in-game tells you the weapon combos, here are the combos:
To restore Hearts (The things you lose when you run out of HP in the game), go to your house and rest.
During battle, you can press the X button to increase animation speed by upto 3x.
- Challenge a friend in 1 vs. 1 battles via local wireless or online. You can set the rules and even earn experience and rewards.
- Create QR codes to share your battle party with other players. Select the ”Battle Preparation" menu item under Network Battle to get started.
- Streetpass other players to exchange Battle Party details, Rider Cards, and Monster Dens!
- Battle Party – Players exchange details like Monsties and Equipment, then they can battle against the Streetpassed player's party at the Rider Arena
- Rider Card – Share your card, which has customized titles and backgrounds
- Monster Dens – Venture into a Streetpassed Monster Den to be able to forage for items and eggs, perhaps even of the rare variety...
- No word on the updated, 1.2 version of the game coming West. Hopefully it does, but it seems odd to release the old version of the game so long after it came out in Japan.
- Like the other Monster Hunter 3DS games, there are various additional quests and items you can download through a Palicoe located in your home village.
11 Tips and Tricks for Monster Hunter Stories by Game Taco (I've found this video very useful)
Amiibo Unlock video from IGN
Monster Hunter Stories Trailer
Metacritic - Currently 78