• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Tri and Classic Controller Pro Bundle announced for North America (PR)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
THE PERFECT BUNDLE FOR HUNTING SEASON: MONSTER HUNTER® TRI AND WII CLASSIC CONTROLLER PRO

Bundle Will Bring the Highly- Anticipated New Controller and Popular Franchise Together for the Ultimate Monster Hunting Experience on the Wii System

SAN MATEO, CA, and REDMOND, WA, - January 25, 2010 - Capcom® Entertainment, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, and Nintendo of America today announced an exciting new bundle featuring one of the most highly anticipated titles for 2010, Monster Hunter® Tri, and combining it with the new Classic Controller Pro™ for the Wii™ system. The Classic Controller Pro's more traditional control configuration will give gamers the ultimate Monster Hunting experience when the bundle becomes available in North America this April at a suggested retail price of $59.99.

"Monster Hunter Tri has made a huge splash in the Japanese market, and we're confident the bundle with the Classic Controller Pro will give fans in North America plenty to get excited about," said Steve Singer, Nintendo of America's vice president of Licensing. "Gamers of all kinds enjoy playing games on Wii. Monster Hunter Tri delivers an incredible new experience on Wii, while the Classic Controller Pro gives players even more control options for their favorite Wii games."

The new Classic Controller Pro includes a second row of shoulder buttons and ergonomically friendly grips. The Classic Controller Pro plugs directly into the Wii Remote™ controller, and until now, has been available only in the Japanese market.

The Classic Controller Pro will be compatible with more than 450 Wii, WiiWare™ and Virtual Console™ games. The Classic Controller Pro bundled with Monster Hunter Tri will be black, while both black and white versions of the controller will also be available separately at a suggested retail price of $19.99. The game will also be available without a controller at a suggested retail price of $49.99.

Making its North American debut on Wii this spring, Monster Hunter Tri is one of the most strikingly beautiful titles developed for Nintendo's Wii system. Pushing the hardware to the limit, Monster Hunter Tri depicts a living, breathing ecosystem where humans co-exist with majestic monsters that roam both dry land and brand new sub-aqua environments – a first for the series. Offering the player varied control configurations to suit their style of play, players can choose between the Classic Controller Pro, Wii Remote™ and Nunchuck™, or Classic Controller™ to slay the monsters that inhabit the world.

The Monster Hunter series has sold over 11 million units worldwide and has become a social phenomenon in Japan giving rise to training camps, dedicated festivals and numerous licensed products. According to Media Create, Monster Hunter Tri sold 520,000 units in its first week of release in Japan and became the leading title sold across all platforms for the week of its release.

For more information about Monster Hunter Tri, please visit: http://press.capcom.com

ABOUT CAPCOM
Capcom is a leading worldwide developer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment for game consoles, PCs, handheld and wireless devices. Founded in 1983, the company has created hundreds of games, including best-selling franchises Resident Evil®, Street Fighter®, Mega Man® and Devil May Cry®. Capcom maintains operations in the U.S., U.K., Germany, France, Tokyo Korea and Hong Kong, with corporate headquarters located in Osaka, Japan. More information about Capcom can be found on the company web site, www.capcom.com.

C-Jo

I assume Nintendo is attempting to manufacture something reminiscent of the Wii Play effect with this bundle. I think I'll be picking this up, so maybe it's working!

Jubilation abounds April is now marked. I don't recall but were the impressions and opinions of the classic controller pro vs. the standard for use in Tri very one sided?

classic controller pro has only been available in japan???? wtf????? last time i looked it been out in europe for months

however bundling with accessories has always been a sure fire way to sell wii games so this should do very well

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
C-Jo said:
I assume Nintendo is attempting to manufacture something reminiscent of the Wii Play effect with this bundle. I think I'll be picking this up, so maybe it's working!

I thought they were attempting to do the same thing with Excitebots, and we all know how that one turned out.

Regardless though, I'm a little disappointed that the bundle is only with the black controller. I would've like to have a white one to go with all my other Wii accessories.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Ooooh, nicey. Now, clarification on free online and I'm set.

radcliff

MemoirsofMimi said:
I thought they were attempting to do the same thing with Excitebots, and we all know how that one turned out.

Regardless though, I'm a little disappointed that the bundle is only with the black controller. I would've like to have a white one to go with all my other Wii accessories.

Yeah, but people already had the wheel from Mario Kart Wii. It seems this is going to be the only bundled way to get the Classic Controller Pro.

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
radcliff said:
Yeah, but people already had the wheel from Mario Kart Wii. It seems this is going to be the only bundled way to get the Classic Controller Pro.

True, but you could've bought it without the wheel and I'm sure families wouldn't mind having an extra Wii Wheel.

It also says that the controllers will be sold separately in both black and white.

Kifimbo

2e0rzix.jpg

spf87r.jpg

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
I'm not sure whether or not I prefer the Japanese cover or the American one. This one looks nice, but it's a bit too much for me.

Did anyone else notice that they've removed the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection symbol and replaced it with Wi-Fi Play Supported?

Certainly hope the same bundle will be available in Europe as I've yet to get a CC Pro and this would be the best deal possible!

Will Monster Hunter finally hit it big in the west?

PR said:
The Classic Controller Pro will be compatible with more than 450 Wii, WiiWare™ and Virtual Console™ games. The Classic Controller Pro bundled with Monster Hunter Tri will be black, while both black and white versions of the controller will also be available separately at a suggested retail price of $19.99. The game will also be available without a controller at a suggested retail price of $49.99.
I wonder why the PR don' mention the original classic controller anywhere.

Also I'm pleased to hear about the white CC Pro. I wonder if NoE will release the white CC Pro (since launch we've only had black, anyone know why they did that?).

I have nothing but love and praise for the CC Pro, seriously freaking awesome controller.

I imported a white one back at JPN release, will be picking up another with English MH3 now too! FIIIIIIIIIIIINALLY, I can't wait for this game.

gkryhewy

I have a preorder for two copies of the standard edition at Amazon, and I'll definitely be switching over to 2 copies of the bundle, as soon as Amazon opens preorders. I was prepared to spend 30-35 bucks on an import CC Pro, so this is fabulous.

gkrykewy said:
I dunno - looks like NOA may be fairly aggressive in marketing this. I bet it does quite well. Say, 400-500k lifetime.
I'll go out on a limb and say that opening month will be at least 200K in the US with an max ceiling of 1.5 mil for lifetime sales. They've still got a while left to market this game right and the talks of controllers/free online are really promising. It'll be one of the few games that I'll buy at full price this year.

thefro

Good move, I'll definitely be picking a bundle up.

GAF's really shortchanging how well this is going to do in the US if Nintendo pushes it hard. IMHO, it's an easy million-seller. This is a game you can market to the Zelda/Pokemon fanbase.

Baki

Now how much MH: Tri sells depends on how many people want the classic controller (as opposed to how many people want the game). :lol

Historically, MH has not been very popular in the west. :p

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Segata Sanshiro said:
Prediction: 150k sales lifetime.

I think it will do better than that..I mean, stuff like Conduit and MadWorld reached or got close to 150K.

C-Jo

thefro said:
GAF's really shortchanging how well this is going to do in the US if Nintendo pushes it hard. IMHO, it's an easy million-seller. This is a game you can market to the Zelda/Pokemon fanbase.

Monster Hunter Tri is just shy of 1 million LTD sales in Japan. Do you really expect it to match or exceed that in the US?

Oli

Vilix said:
Ooooh, nicey. Now, clarification on free online and I'm set.

Yeah, same here. Game looks great and all, but I definitely don't want to online fees for individual games. Why I don't play MMO's.

I'm getting the bundle for two reasons:

1. I want the controller.

2. That means Canadians can get the game without that horrid shrinkwrap that the other Capcom Wii (and other Capcom games?) are in. At least I think so as they don't have any reason to... :(

MightyKAC

baki said:
Now how much MH: Tri sells depends on how many people want the classic controller (as opposed to how many people want the game). :lol

Historically, MH has not been very popular in the west. :p
Historically Capcom has been horrible at promoting this game.

If the online is free and if Capcom advertises the HELL out if this game then then it may just have a chance.

Oh and this also depends on the Wii's mainstream audience to give a fuck about a game without Mario in it's title :p

Hell yeah! I've been hoping for the Classic Controller Pro for a while. I nearly caved a few times and ordered an import. Now NoA just needs to release the Black Wii to match. I would happily snag an S&P2 or Other M hardware bundle. Just sayin' Nintendo...

MightyKAC said:
Oh and this also depends on the Wii's mainstream audience to give a fuck about a game without Mario in it's title :p
Which will only happen with a good marketing push. We shall see. Although I'm not sure that MH is a "mainstream" series in the sense that you're using the word.

I do believe I shall pick this up upon release. With any luck a few of my friends will as well, despite none of us being MH veterans. We loved PSO back in the day, I hope this game delivers at least a similar experience.

Top Bottom