• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World: Iceborne |OT| ICE, ICE BABY

Pejo

So I've been fighting a lot of Diabolos (HR) solo to practice Guard Points on Charge Blade. I'm finally starting to get the hang of it. It's great for letting lose with a quick SAED, since the faster monsters almost always dodge them when I try to hit them regularly. I still plan on maining CB in Iceborne, but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't fallen back to IG as a crutch for harder/faster fights.

Lanrutcon

So I've been fighting a lot of Diabolos (HR) solo to practice Guard Points on Charge Blade. I'm finally starting to get the hang of it. It's great for letting lose with a quick SAED, since the faster monsters almost always dodge them when I try to hit them regularly. I still plan on maining CB in Iceborne, but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't fallen back to IG as a crutch for harder/faster fights.

Every monster is faster and more aggressive in MR than their HR counterparts, and there's an abundance of super mobile new monsters. The flyers fly longer and more, and don't get me started on Tigrex. I have no idea how Guard weapons keep up.

Pejo

Every monster is faster and more aggressive in MR than their HR counterparts, and there's an abundance of super mobile new monsters. The flyers fly longer and more, and don't get me started on Tigrex. I have no idea how Guard weapons keep up.
Agreed, that's why I want to start using guard points. It's so hard to position correctly for longer animation moves for faster monsters. At least with Guard Points I will know exactly where the monster is when it's hitting me. Ironically, my fastest clear time with Nargacuga was with a Lance user that was just counter poking his face over and over again.

Lanrutcon

I have discovered the Hidden Bullet II. Rapid Fire Piercing 2, all day, every day.

It's like pretending MHW is set in the Warhammer 40k universe.

Time just flies while playing. I'm enjoying replaying the base game but I think I've made mistake commiting to at least finishing World optional quests before moving to Iceborne. I don't remember there being so many once you hit 7*.

Pejo

Time just flies while playing. I'm enjoying replaying the base game but I think I've made mistake commiting to at least finishing World optional quests before moving to Iceborne. I don't remember there being so many once you hit 7*.
Yea a lot of them are canteen/harvesting quests, and then you get the slew of mantles/boosters. There are entire sets of Iceborne quests for the tools to improve each of them, so it probably makes sense to do what you can now.

Discovered Bowguns.

My God.

I've gone from playing Dragon's Dogma to playing Warhammer 40k.
I was like "where have I heard this before?" Then I realized you posted almost the same thing a few posts above, haha. Are you doing heavy or light? I watched this speedrun video last night and it was the most fun I had watching a MH video. The bowguns can do some really ridiculous things.

Also, anyone on PC up for organizing a room to do Behemoth (Extreme)? I really want that Dragoon layered set, but I don't think I'll ever get this done doing randoms and SOS.

Lanrutcon

Yea a lot of them are canteen/harvesting quests, and then you get the slew of mantles/boosters. There are entire sets of Iceborne quests for the tools to improve each of them, so it probably makes sense to do what you can now.

I was like "where have I heard this before?" Then I realized you posted almost the same thing a few posts above, haha. Are you doing heavy or light? I watched this speedrun video last night and it was the most fun I had watching a MH video. The bowguns can do some really ridiculous things.

Also, anyone on PC up for organizing a room to do Behemoth (Extreme)? I really want that Dragoon layered set, but I don't think I'll ever get this done doing randoms and SOS.

Light and heavy. Got the Blackwing LBG and the Zinogre HBG. Rapid fire sticky 2, and the Zinogre one is just a shotgun with a shield.

Light and heavy. Got the Blackwing LBG and the Zinogre HBG. Rapid fire sticky 2, and the Zinogre one is just a shotgun with a shield.
I saw some of those LBGs. Rapid fire sticky 2s and that new evade reload mod sound great. I want to try it but I can't let go of HBG shield. It's teaching me so many bad habits since I rely on it so much. I feel like HBG got the short end on mods though. Yeah, the scope is a huge upgrade in terms of damage but it's so unwieldy to use.

Last edited:

Pejo

Not getting a new monster until May so I'm not playing until May. 😴😴😴

I pray for Fatalis.
I'm hoping for Gore Magala, but I doubt they'd do one single monster that uses the "Frenzy" mechanic. Also, Qurupeco for the memes, though everyone is already trained into carrying dung pods thanks to Bazel from the base game.

I did see in the notes of what they presented, PC and Console version should be in parity by May. That's awesome! Next step is cross-play.
9iY1yKx.png

120 hours in the PC version and I lucked out and got a Guard Up deco. Took me like 300 before I got one on PS4. It's a sign. Nearly done with the base game too. Kinda want to jump into Iceborne already but I'm trying to fish up a Great Gunpowderfish so I have a complete crafting list. I already have 3 Petricanth but the Great Gunpowderfish hasn't spawned once.

Pejo

I think my PS4 Monsterhunter upgraded to Iceborne and I didn't even pay for it...
Everybody got the major update when IB released, you just can't access the new content without the expansion.

So I've been playing through the event quests, catching up on all the layered or event specific equipment. It amazes me how bad a lot of players are against AT Elder Dragons even now, with the crutch of MR gear. I'm just trying to get 2 of each ticket to buy the layered sets but the only ones I've managed to beat so far are Kushala, Teostra, and Nerg. I need to build out a Miasma set so I can properly fight Val, which I plan on doing tonight, but people seem to be really bad with Luna and Xeno specifically.

I know I'm sounding like a broken record here, but I'd love to get a non-random group of MHGaf in a room to knock these out quickly if anyone's interested on PC. I'm also down for Extreme Behemoth, as I don't see ever beating that with randoms.

Pejo

God damn I got so close tonight on Extreme Behemoth. The group I was with actually killed him too fast in the 4th zone so that he dropped 2 back-to-back meteors and we wiped on his "death" meteor. What a shit fucking mechanic.

Did manage to beat Lunastra and Zorah tonight, so I got the Origin layered set. I realized for some of these layered sets, I need to do arena. I hate arena.

Pejo

I had a great weekend in the game, finally got a great group of randoms and took down Extremoth, afterwards made quick work of the remaining AT elders that I hadn't finished. I'm finally done farming tickets for layered sets for a while until the PC version gets the new patches.

What a huge difference having a good dedicated tank makes in Behemoth Extreme. It takes a lot of the annoying moves out of Behemoth's kit and makes everything more manageable. Still need to hope the whole group understands the Area 3 mechanic and the final area mechanic so you don't get 1-shotted by unavoidable meteors. I'm so glad that fight and the Ancient Leshen fights are behind me, they were my least 2 favorite fights in the game.

I really enjoy the AT versions of Nerg, Val Hazak, and especially Kushala Daora (compared to his standard version). He doesn't drop those tornadoes everywhere constantly that hang around for 20 minutes, at least until the final confrontation. He stays on the ground a bit more as well. As long as you gear for wind resistance it's actually a pretty fun fight. I give mad props to all the people that beat AT's without MR gear. They're still tougher than anything I've faced in MR. AT Xeno is actually a very tough fight unlike the regular Xeno which I thought was a huge disappointment for a "final boss" of the story.

Now I'll be grinding 50 Shades of White until the event runs out, I love all of the "royal" themed weapons, so I'll eventually make them all. I need a lot of tickets though. Also I'm going to properly give HBG a chance today or tomorrow. They seem so damn versatile and strong.

After that I'll have to do my least favorite thing in the game and grind out Arena quests. As always, if anyone's interested, hit me up.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I need to get back into this but since I switched to a PS4 Pro I need to begin a new save file.

Shouldn't be a big deal since I beat all of the base game's content in about 80 hours, and the gameplay is so gud so I'm not gonna complain.

Pejo

I need to get back into this but since I switched to a PS4 Pro I need to begin a new save file.

Shouldn't be a big deal since I beat all of the base game's content in about 80 hours, and the gameplay is so gud so I'm not gonna complain.
It's a good time to get in again, there are a ton of event quests active right now for limited time stuff. Also, they added "Defender" armor and weapons to the base game to get people into the expansion quickly, so it's super easy to get through story now, even solo. Right now higher ranked players are incentivized to help new players to get tickets they need to make event items, so good chances are you'll get some HR100+ player join your quests and dunk on monsters in 2-3 minutes.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned

What weapon(s) do you like? I spent like 150+ hours using long sword and then 150+ using the hammer. I guess I don't like change :messenger_tears_of_joy:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
What weapon(s) do you like? I spent like 150+ hours using long sword and then 150+ using the hammer. I guess I don't like change :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I've used almost everything in the series by now. I'll probably go LBG (which I've used a fair amount) or Gunlance (which I've barely used). Longsword would also be a fun choice since I really like the bursty "charge up" gameplay style and I haven't used it since MHG on 3DS.

Pejo

I've used almost everything in the series by now. I'll probably go LBG (which I've used a fair amount) or Gunlance (which I've barely used). Longsword would also be a fun choice since I really like the bursty "charge up" gameplay style and I haven't used it since MHG on 3DS.
Longsword added a bunch of moves that make it a weeb dream machine now. You have various counters, a sheath Iai attack, etc. It's a lot of fun in Iceborne. Gunlance's only real addition is a monster buttplug, but they bumped the damage up at least.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Longsword added a bunch of moves that make it a weeb dream machine now. You have various counters, a sheath Iai attack, etc. It's a lot of fun in Iceborne. Gunlance's only real addition is a monster buttplug, but they bumped the damage up at least.
I liked how they added the ability to build up a meter which grants damage bonus and a powerful finisher. Gives the weapon some much-needed DPS options to "dump all your phials" (to steal a CB term) into a downed enemy. I haven't played the LS since MH4U/MHG so I'm sure the weapon is even more versatile now.

And since I'm not a scrub, I will be one of the handful of LS users who doesn't trip everyone and gets excessively carted for being too reckless :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

This must be why I can suddenly do new attacks.

I am debating on getting the expansion. I'm only 2/3 through the original campaign though so I will probably wait it out.

I have a love/hate relationship with Special Scope. The damage buff is so ridiculously good, 30% extra damage is just really hard to pass up. On the other hand, actually using the scope is a nightmare.

Pejo

Any of you guys do HBG spread shot builds? It seems like a ton of damage, but it also seems tough to play vs. the faster monsters in Iceborne. I'm just starting to dip my toes in the water of bowguns, and it's the most appealing playstyle to me, but I'm having a hard time surviving. The dodge is slow and doesn't cover much ground. I am going to try maxing out evade and evade distance to see if that helps, but then there goes all my deco slots for damage skills.

Goddamn is cluster bomb satisfying though.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Any of you guys do HBG spread shot builds? It seems like a ton of damage, but it also seems tough to play vs. the faster monsters in Iceborne. I'm just starting to dip my toes in the water of bowguns, and it's the most appealing playstyle to me, but I'm having a hard time surviving. The dodge is slow and doesn't cover much ground. I am going to try maxing out evade and evade distance to see if that helps, but then there goes all my deco slots for damage skills.

Personally I love the LBG, especially in team play. Keeping a monster locked down for most of the match with status shots while also breaking all their parts, shooting them out of the air, and randomly staggering them is immensely satisfying. HBG is okay but the extra damage isn't worth the loss of mobility, imo. In fairness, I haven't sunk much time into MHW's version of the weapon.

Spread HBG damage is great but chasing after weakpoints can be a real pain in multiplayer. Depending on your build, rolling around to move faster is actually a bad idea since it means your shield isn't up. But when that shield is up, you're near invincible. Really, really slow but really, really tough. Three shield mods give the equivalent of the base lance shield, then you can bump that up with Guard 5 and Guard Up. And you really don't need much in terms of damage skills to get a workable build either, the only ones I have are Weakness Exploit 3, Crit Eye 7 and Crit Boost 3. The build I have now even has Divine Blessing 5 though I plan to ditch it once Rajang hits to make a more flexible build that can use the charm slot for utility such as Effluvial Resist for Vaal or relevant elemental resists or just the Spare Shot charm for general use. I did have a build that also ran Offensive Guard but I had to use Glider/Elemental mantles to keep Weakness Exploit up and it was annoying needing to constantly micromanage mantles so I dropped it. I'd much rather have Rocksteady/Temporal for easy clutch claw tenderizing anyway.

Here's a pic for damage reference for one shot of Spread 3. The previous combo was from using all 8 rounds. Without the Demon Powder and Might Seed but with the Mega Demon Drug, it's 39 per pellet which is still respectable. No food buffs too. Putting on Special Scope bumps the damage way up but I hate using it.

jaT8y6M.jpg

Though honestly I probably play pierce more cause all the range is a nice quality of life boost. I made a sticky/cluster build but I made the mistake of testing it out on Barioth and I got traumatized, haha.

Last edited:

Pejo

Spread HBG damage is great but chasing after weakpoints can be a real pain in multiplayer. Depending on your build, rolling around to move faster is actually a bad idea since it means your shield isn't up. But when that shield is up, you're near invincible. Really, really slow but really, really tough. Three shield mods give the equivalent of the base lance shield, then you can bump that up with Guard 5 and Guard Up. And you really don't need much in terms of damage skills to get a workable build either, the only ones I have are Weakness Exploit 3, Crit Eye 7 and Crit Boost 3. The build I have now even has Divine Blessing 5 though I plan to ditch it once Rajang hits to make a more flexible build that can use the charm slot for utility such as Effluvial Resist for Vaal or relevant elemental resists or just the Spare Shot charm for general use. I did have a build that also ran Offensive Guard but I had to use Glider/Elemental mantles to keep Weakness Exploit up and it was annoying needing to constantly micromanage mantles so I dropped it. I'd much rather have Rocksteady/Temporal for easy clutch claw tenderizing anyway.

Here's a pic for damage reference for one shot of Spread 3. The previous combo was from using all 8 rounds. Without the Demon Powder and Might Seed but with the Mega Demon Drug, it's 39 per pellet which is still respectable. No food buffs too. Putting on Special Scope bumps the damage way up but I hate using it.

jaT8y6M.jpg

Though honestly I probably play pierce more cause all the range is a nice quality of life boost. I made a sticky/cluster build but I made the mistake of testing it out on Barioth and I got traumatized, haha.
Thanks for the info! This is the kind of sexy damage I saw that made me want to try out HBG. I'll see what I can do with the guard set. Do you try to slot in any recoil mods too or just triple guard all the way?

Thanks for the info! This is the kind of sexy damage I saw that made me want to try out HBG. I'll see what I can do with the guard set. Do you try to slot in any recoil mods too or just triple guard all the way?
I run 3 shield mods, 1 recoil (which brings down Spread 3 to +1 recoil), and 1 close range. Try playing around with Special Scope if you like, if I ditch the guard charm for an attack charm and switch the mods to 3 close range, 1 recoil, 1 scope I hit around 60 per pellet which is just insane. Good luck playing scoped in multiplayer though.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

I run LBG sticky/pierce and HBG shotgun tank.

Shotgun tank is great for solo, but in team play it's frustrating. Much rather LBG in a team.

Is the Behemoth armor still worth getting for iceborne or should i not bother?
No, all the high rank armors are worthless now, just focus on getting the layered cosmetics instead of the actual armor for LR/HR armors now. On the other hand, there is now event tickets to let you upgrade the crossover weapons to a MR version, but not the armors

Pejo

I think I burnt myself out on the game by grinding hard in this appreciation fest. I built all 14 of the new Guild Palace weapons, the turkey leg hammer, the blackwing CB (looks so awesome, but WHY does it have to be power element???), other event weapons I'm forgetting, Palico sets, and all the available event layered armors. I never want to see another Barioth again, though I could probably hunt him in my sleep at this point. I still have to do a ton of runs of "A Shocking Climax", but I just can't right now. I need a break.

Then I still have to farm an assload of Arena coins, my least favorite type of hunt.

How'd you guys do?

R6Rider

Gold Member
Every time I come back I end up at a point where I need to do Grinding Land stuff and then it make the game become extremely tiresome very quickly.

I haven't even done the Safi-Jiiva stuff yet as any of the large fights like that are just not fun for me. Especially in the form of Safi and Kulve.

demigod

Jesus I hate Viper Tobi. Went in unprepared and he almost kicked my ass. I hate that stupid poison on basically every one of his attacks.

Pejo

Jesus I hate Viper Tobi. Went in unprepared and he almost kicked my ass. I hate that stupid poison on basically every one of his attacks.
Yea while not absolutely "required" i would never fight him without poison immunity, it's just too big of a QoL difference on his fight particularly. The para isn't nearly as bad to deal with.

Codes 208

I won't choose him as a plushie, sure. But I love how the whole theme of the monster (the armor, the weapons, the music) show a big influence from buddhism.
Funny thing is his design is pretty cool.

its those eyes though. The way they follow the camera instead of the player is just nightmarish.

demigod

Currently using a Terror Tyrannos switch axe, saw a youtube video saying it’s best to start out with the Datura Garden due to the long fights and poison does a ton of dmg over time. Any truth to this or any better switch axe i should use? The fights do seem long with my TT.

I think it's a bit unfair that monsters gain massively increasing resistance to status but the player can get hit with them back to back. I always try to make variants of my main builds where I can switch the charm or a few decos around to gain immunity from a specific element or status to get around it.

I think I burnt myself out on the game by grinding hard in this appreciation fest. I built all 14 of the new Guild Palace weapons, the turkey leg hammer, the blackwing CB (looks so awesome, but WHY does it have to be power element???), other event weapons I'm forgetting, Palico sets, and all the available event layered armors. I never want to see another Barioth again, though I could probably hunt him in my sleep at this point. I still have to do a ton of runs of "A Shocking Climax", but I just can't right now. I need a break.

Then I still have to farm an assload of Arena coins, my least favorite type of hunt.

How'd you guys do?
I don't even have a specific goal like an event, I burned myself out just plain grinding for the sake of grinding. I only started on PC when Iceborne released and I already have nearly 300 hours in the game. Now I'm just relaxing by catching endemics and fishing instead of hunting. There's a spot in Iceborne that has 100% spawn for Great Sushifish so I guess I'm still kinda grinding but easy Great Sushifish scales are just such a great item to have.

Pejo

Currently using a Terror Tyrannos switch axe, saw a youtube video saying it’s best to start out with the Datura Garden due to the long fights and poison does a ton of dmg over time. Any truth to this or any better switch axe i should use? The fights do seem long with my TT.
I almost always do poison weapons in early game. It's very strong and since you go through story monsters so fast, you don't have to worry about elemental weaknesses/resistances. I feel like it's not worth the trade off in damage at endgame though. Maybe for faster/flying enemies that you can't always hit, but even then it's probably better to bring poison knives or bombs or something. Poison used to be almost required for monsters like Kushala Daora, but now Elderseal does what Poison used to do.

Pejo

I feel like they ruined the aesthetic of Raging Brachy. Before he was green into yellow then would get red when he was close to exploding. Now he's just always red, though the lighting wasn't great in the volcano zone. That AoE explosion stuff looks like bullshit already.

Subspecies are whatever, I'm excited for some new monsters in the next patch.

Lanrutcon

Weee. Subspecies for two of the most obnoxious monsters. Sigh. Fuck all that, I want my Stygian back.

Tried hunting a tempered Rajang last night with a HBG. NEVER FUCKING AGAIN. Chip damage on everything, cannonballs doing a shitload of damage through Guard...it was a nightmare.

Top Bottom