• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World |OT| Where The Wild Things Are

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
HBsVWtH.png

jqzrMFP.png

Genre: Action / Adventure / RPG
Release Date: January 26th, 2018
Platforms: Playstation 4 and Xbox One *
Distribution: Retail and Digital
Price: $59.99
Players: 1 - Online Multiplayer - No Couch Co-op

* A PC release is planned for later in 2018

PIJRHXM.png

OpenCritic: 91 "Mighty"
Metacritic: 91

NeoGAF Review thread (thanks DryvBy)

IGN - 9.5/10
Whether or not it's the best, this is certainly the most audacious Monster Hunter game. World takes a dramatic leap into a look, feel, and size that feels truly new, simultaneously staying true to the series' ideals by maintaining the addictive loop of combat, intimidating monsters and meaningful upgrades that fans love. The sheer depth and commitment required is still intense, but it clearly isn't Capcom's aim to court a casual crowd. This is as all-consuming and incredible a ride as ever.

DualShockers - 9.5 / 10
They created an immersive living and breathing world, allowing players to fully enjoy the charm of the titular monsters within a credible ecosystem. Combined with solid improvements in story and gameplay, this makes Monster Hunter World a must-have game for veteran fans and novices alike.

RPG Site - 9 / 10
Capcom brings Monster Hunter back to the big screen in a big way, culminating in perhaps the best game in the franchise's history.

Destructoid - 9 / 10
If you've been skipping out on Monster Hunter games for a while because they seem to blend together, jumping into World is your chance to get in. Just know that Capcom hasn't really shaken up the formula enough to piss off veterans or appeal to people who don't welcome grinding with open arms.

USGamer - 5 / 5
Monster Hunter has been in need of a big change for years, and this reboot-of-sorts could have easily gone wrong. Instead, Capcom took a careful look at Monster Hunter's design and cut all the fat while leaving the series trademark dense gameplay completely intact. All the changes, from the broad, sweeping ones to the granular alterations, only serve to improve an already winning formula. The next generation of Monster Hunter has finally begun, and, with Monster Hunter World, it's off to an incredibly good start.

God is a Geek - 8.5 / 10
From the gorgeous visuals to the design in its monsters and ecosystems, Capcom has made the best Monster Hunter game yet. It's just a shame it doesn't help with its complex systems an occasionally poor explanations of them.

GameSpot - 8 / 10
Monster Hunter World successfully proves that it's both about size and how you use it.

Push Square - 8 / 10
Monster Hunter: World is easily the finest entry in the franchise to date. The move to PS4 has only done it favours, with stunning visuals and environments that you'll want to get lost in. Flashy, satisfying combat will lead to many water cooler chats, and vastly improved online features make it a breeze to find help. It's a real shame that Capcom still hasn't found an ideal way to welcome new players, but if you are able to sink your teeth into World, you'll discover an incredible action RPG experience.

HdaRo2o.png

There are a variety of weapons at your disposal to take down even the biggest and baddest of monsters. Click the links below to learn more.

Sword and Shield
Dual Blades
Long Sword
Great Sword
Charge Blade
Hammer
Lance
Gunlance
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Switch Axe
Bow
Light Bowgun
Heavy Bowgun

w4u4lFA.png

fmcmMVg.png

UVqqhts.png

S3YINIm.png

E7oeFHd.png

Official Website
Official Youtube
Official Twitter

Interactive Online Game Manual

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Been interested in checking out the series for a long time, but not much into portable gaming and I heard the controls were clunky on portables. Think I'll be picking this one up. The core concept definitely speaks to me.

Great OT :D

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I pre-ordered this last year during Target's B2G1 sale.

Sadly that means I'll have to wait until Monday to start playing (stupid Target and their stupid not-release-day-delivery-shipping), but I'm definitely looking forward to this game!

Poppyseed

I'm amazed there are no XBOX One X vs PS4 Pro impressions out there yet. I'm holding off till I know which version to buy! Based on the BETA, the PS4's frame-rate was super unstable in any mode, so I'm hoping the XBOX One X solves this issue, or that at the very least the PS4 Pro version runs better than the BETA.

Come on, Eurogamer!

Futursu

Banned
If you don't already have a console and are interested in this game, Newegg (on eBay) has the PS4 Pro with Monster Hunter World and Titanfall 2 for $399.

LINK

Seems like a pretty good deal considering the Pro almost never goes on sale itself and the fact that this game just came out today.

Anyone tried it on the X, Impressions ??

Gonna leave work and pick it up shortly for my XBO:X...though I'm not running 4k, so I'm only going to notice the steady framerate and if it's dipping below 1080p at all.

I'd think that considering this is going to be released for PC in the near future, you'll already see them getting this working as well as can be expected for the PS4Pro, and excellent on the XBO:X.

Then again...it *is* CAPCOM we're dealing with here...

JP

I'm amazed there are no XBOX One X vs PS4 Pro impressions out there yet. I'm holding off till I know which version to buy! Based on the BETA, the PS4's frame-rate was super unstable in any mode, so I'm hoping the XBOX One X solves this issue, or that at the very least the PS4 Pro version runs better than the BETA.

Come on, Eurogamer!
I'm sure it's on the way.

It's not really what you're looking for but there is this from earlier in the week.

Dizagaox

I'm not sure whether to jump into this, Horizon: Zero Dawn or Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I know they all have different combat systems, but anyone have any advice?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I am only 2 hours in so far. Seems interesting. It is my first MH game.

Is there a way to target an enemy and keep the camera locked on them? That's the only thing that has been bothering me so far.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Uhh, if this video is legit, it looks like Pro version looks better than the X, like noticeably better:

A few people ha w been posting this for a few days now. It’s not using the day one patch, so likely doesn’t have any real day one stuff.

But I’m upset that I can’t fond anything solid on it at all...

shpankey

not an idiot
Uhh, if this video is legit, it looks like Pro version looks better than the X, like noticeably better:

Why is the Xbox one look milky-screened? It actually looks better to me, jaggies, etc wise [specifically around the :35 sec mark], but this weird milky bland look makes me think improperly calibrated equipment here and that's really what's making it look so bad by comparison.

Last edited:

Unity2012

Great OT. This is my first MH game and I am loving every minute of it. It took me a bit to get used to it but I didn't loose interest at any point. Now I am hooked.

sublimit

Banned
I was initially very excited about this game but due to my limited free time recently i was debating whether to get it on a later date or not. Then a friend of mine told me that he will buy it next week so now i'm excited again because i'd love to coop this game with a friend.

My last MH was Tri (on Wii) so i'm looking forward to return to its world even though my Monster Hunting skills are a bit rusty atm. :p

tsounaiq

Neo Member
I am only 2 hours in so far. Seems interesting. It is my first MH game.

Is there a way to target an enemy and keep the camera locked on them? That's the only thing that has been bothering me so far.
R3 for locking big monsters, for small ones, not much idea.

Makariel

I'm looking forward to the PC version, have been interested in the series for a while but most recent games were on platforms I didn't own at the time.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Playing this now on my x and first impressions.

Slow dumb ass tutorial really is no way to get me into it but I’ll keep on...

Graphics are awful. As in it’s clearly not 4k, even in resolution mode, that’s for sure. In fact it for sure is lower res than the pro by a long way. Seriously bad LOD pop in everywhere, some spots worse than others. Also the game has this white glow over everything, like the contrast is fucked up?

The game starts with a brightness and a colour slider. The brightness even on 0 is too high, and colour... does nothing. I have it on 10 and it looks the same.

So far, I’m hoping I’ll enjoy the game. I think I will. But this is NOT X enhanced, not correctly anyway. Even the HDR is... not even there? It look looks so bad...

Seriously gutted at how poor a job this is. It’s just the basic Xbox one version... on the x. That’s it. And yeah it’s got some sort of x patch, as it’s in my X games menu and also mentions it when you boot up. Bad show man :(

WaterAstro

Graphics are awful. As in it’s clearly not 4k, even in resolution mode, that’s for sure. In fact it for sure is lower res than the pro by a long way. Seriously bad LOD pop in everywhere, some spots worse than others. Also the game has this white glow over everything, like the contrast is fucked up?

The game starts with a brightness and a colour slider. The brightness even on 0 is too high, and colour... does nothing. I have it on 10 and it looks the same.

So far, I’m hoping I’ll enjoy the game. I think I will. But this is NOT X enhanced, not correctly anyway. Even the HDR is... not even there? It look looks so bad...

Seriously gutted at how poor a job this is. It’s just the basic Xbox one version... on the x. That’s it. And yeah it’s got some sort of x patch, as it’s in my X games menu and also mentions it when you boot up. Bad show man :(
Their priority wasn't making graphics options for the X/Pro. Like any dev, they're going to make sure it's working smoothly on all the consoles first.

Graphics isn't the only thing that makes the game, and they can patch support in later.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

I thought some reviewers said it was 4K checkerboard though o_O

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Their priority wasn't making graphics options for the X/Pro. Like any dev, they're going to make sure it's working smoothly on all the consoles first.

Graphics isn't the only thing that makes the game, and they can patch support in later.

The game has LOD pop up five feet in front of me. The initial climb of the first monster when you first start the game ran at sub 20fps. There is no decent configuration of options, the game actually looks bad. Not just bad, but bad as in hurts your eyes bad. It looks like it’s upscaling a low res image. I’m not sure what’s going on.

This is the first and only Xbox one X patch that’s ever been this bad. I haven’t had a single problem with any others. If they can’t get it right out the gate, and make it look at least on par with the pro version... on hardware vastly more powerful... what do you think that says?

Edit: also the game has really bad colour...? It’s like the entire world has a white fog all over it. It looks terrible? This isn’t exactly helping the game play nice, not wirh the low res blur, shimmering and LOD issues... you can say gameplay > graphics as much as you want but this here is... wrong.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

The game has LOD pop up five feet in front of me. The initial climb of the first monster when you first start the game ran at sub 20fps. There is no decent configuration of options, the game actually looks bad. Not just bad, but bad as in hurts your eyes bad. It looks like it’s upscaling a low res image. I’m not sure what’s going on.

This is the first and only Xbox one X patch that’s ever been this bad. I haven’t had a single problem with any others. If they can’t get it right out the gate, and make it look at least on par with the pro version... on hardware vastly more powerful... what do you think that says?

Edit: also the game has really bad colour...? It’s like the entire world has a white fog all over it. It looks terrible? This isn’t exactly helping the game play nice, not wirh the low res blur, shimmering and LOD issues... you can say gameplay > graphics as much as you want but this here is... wrong.
The game looks great. Your expectations about graphics are really overblown. It's pretty much like an MMO level of graphics, and it's pretty good looking for that. That's my expectation.

Well, I dunno. Maybe Xbox has problems. I'm not playing the Xbox version, so I can't say for sure.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
The game looks great. Your expectations about graphics are really overblown. It's pretty much like an MMO level of graphics, and it's pretty good looking for that. That's my expectation.

Well, I dunno. Maybe Xbox has problems. I'm not playing the Xbox version, so I can't say for sure.

Sadly that’s the problem I fear.

If I artificially set my tv to be darker, it looks a lot better for sure. It’s like there’s this grey filter over the Xbox version? Another issue is that once anything gets more than a few feet away, it blurs. It makes faces and things look like LA Noire... that bad.

I’m hoping this is just me expecting too much. But what I’ve seen of the pro version doesn’t have these issues...?

I look forward to trying this and feel like it could be the one that turns me onto the series!*

(says me on release of the last 6 MH titles)

thanks for this OT

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Ahh this may explain it. HDR appears to be broke on the Xbox release at least, that’s whats giving it that overly bright washed out look. A lot of people are suggesting to turn off HDR on the Xbox or tv and trying again.

But the colour slider appears broke in both releases and does nothing lol?

Edit: yeah just tried it. Turned off HDR on the Xbox and loaded back in. For one, you can’t switch to frame rate/graphics mode from resolution, without restarting the game. As in quit the whole thing and start over, and not just quit game.

As for HDR, yeah... turn it off and you get an old school slider. Turn that down and boom, game looks normal.

So I’m guessing HDR is broke in this :(

Edit 2: oddly even my frame rate has increased, now that I set it to resolution mode and no hdr... how odd. Much better.

Last edited:
I don't know what everyone was worried about, this is the regular MH with all the fun and annoying bits. But now I don't need to kill my eyes looking into a crap DS screen.

Dienekes

Moderator battling in the shade.

Wow, that sounds awful! Thank you for this heads up, this confirms to go to PS4 Pro for me, as I have both.

Edit:
Ahh this may explain it. HDR appears to be broke on the Xbox release at least, that’s whats giving it that overly bright washed out look. A lot of people are suggesting to turn off HDR on the Xbox or tv and trying again.

But the colour slider appears broke in both releases and does nothing lol?

Edit: yeah just tried it. Turned off HDR on the Xbox and loaded back in. For one, you can’t switch to frame rate/graphics mode from resolution, without restarting the game. As in quit the whole thing and start over, and not just quit game.

As for HDR, yeah... turn it off and you get an old school slider. Turn that down and boom, game looks normal.

So I’m guessing HDR is broke in this :(

Edit 2: oddly even my frame rate has increased, now that I set it to resolution mode and no hdr... how odd. Much better.

Ok now I'm back on the fence, lol! :)

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
The one thing that’s annoying me is the way the story missions are handled. You can’t group up until you’ve spent 5 minutes wandering and having npcs talk. Then once a monster pops up and is attacking you, only then can you group up.

But who is standing there getting hit and fumbling with the menu to invite their buddy? And if you’re both playing the same mission does it count as complete for both? Just really strange design.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
It’s worth noting that as some people have said this game is not a looker and shouldn’t be judged by that. But it’s certainly not awful, and not 360 level like some have oddly said. But doing the above made it much better.

Play the game where your friends are as always :)

ubiblu

So...this is my first MonHun game, playing Bow, and I’m finding it frustrating how long hunts are. The Pukei Pukei alone took me like 20 minutes despite twice upgraded bow and attack+ meal. Coming from all five Souls game platinums, I’m also finding the constant need to sheathe weapons to run and heal pretty stupid. Plays well otherwise, but jesus...these hunts are going to go forever aren’t they?

So...this is my first MonHun game, playing Bow, and I’m finding it frustrating how long hunts are

With the bow there is a range sweet spot that u need to memorise to maximise the damage u can deal.
Make sure u are using ur coatings, check out what kinda coats ur bow can use in the equipment menu.
Finally use dragon piercer whenever u can. With practice u can easily halve ur quest time!

Gold_Loot

It seems the game is quite a bit brighter than what is intended? You really need to dial down the gamma or else the game looks washed out (PS4 pro here)

The game looks much nicer having done that.

Unity2012

It seems the game is quite a bit brighter than what is intended? You really need to dial down the gamma or else the game looks washed out (PS4 pro here)
Same on the X and the S; it looks washed out unless one configure the gamma and brightness to your liking.
I am a first time MH player and I'm really enjoying the game; between this and the SOT Beta (which is amazing), my weekend is going to be fun.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

The game looks much nicer having done that.

I had to do that also so it didn't look washed out.

Filth

So ive been playing lst night and im a bit confused in the unlocking of online quests. You need to do story missions to unlock multiplayer quests ?

The online event quests have a hunter rank requirement, essentially all quests can be played online.
If u are trying to play with a friend who is hosting a quest, make sure to check if its a quest suitable to ur hunter's rank

Got my ps4 exclusive horizon cat cos!!!! Super awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wow, I came in here to brag about the same thing lol
no pictures though :p

but yeah im really enjoying this game so far. even doing hunts with randos is fun

Last edited:
Top Bottom