• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World |OT| Where The Wild Things Are

WaterAstro

Just finished the main story.
There's an achievement that you can do, like not some Trophy, but you finish a mission and everyone in the town congratulates you. If you do all the optional quests, there's one available. There's another one at HR 100.

The game really gets grindy after the HR49 quest.
I'm just randomly doing side missions / investigations and sometimes when I'm out in the wild, I hear a horn?

Tell me I'm not going mad?
Maybe it is the trap cat dude who tells you to bring a monster there? Blows a horn to show you where it is.

ImThatDood

Neo Member
Thanks! I actually found someone hosting it last night, had to do 3 runs to get all 7 tickets you need to unlock Ryu. You were right - it's an Arena type quest and can only be accessed from the Gathering Hub.

Ugh I played it once and got one ticket. I'm pissed because I've been kind of avoiding it because I thought I'd have to do it 7 times and I wasn't about to solo that 6 more times. It isn't hard at all I'm just not far enough to deal with the barros fast enough for it to be fun or worth the effort.

KanameYuuki

So now that I defeated Nergigante how hard are the rest of Elder Dragons? As much as I heard about Nerg, I don't think anyone mention anything else about the other besides maybe the last one takes forever.

One thing I'm struggling a lot is deciding what to even wear, I'm one of those who hates choice and there are way too many on gear x.x

Grinchy

Banned
The tempered version of Nergigante is a pain in the ass. Every little tap from his body does so much damage. If he connects any of his hits, it's like 70% of my HP, and you spend the whole fight not even being able to see yourself if you use melee.

ehead

Is this good on the base PS4? Urge to play, rising...

I gave in a few weeks ago. I have an OG PS4, and the game runs fine. The first few hours of playing, I felt the framerate was abysmal but I think they updated it as I'm getting smoother gameplay.

WaterAstro

So now that I defeated Nergigante how hard are the rest of Elder Dragons? As much as I heard about Nerg, I don't think anyone mention anything else about the other besides maybe the last one takes forever.

One thing I'm struggling a lot is deciding what to even wear, I'm one of those who hates choice and there are way too many on gear x.x
The only other difficult Elder Dragon is Toaster (anagram for Teostra). The supernova one shots, but can be countered easily with flash pods. It's just that depending on your teammates and your weapon, it's not easy putting away your weapon and flashing in time, so other than Nerg, he kills more than the other two.

If you don't want to play around with sets, I can just give you my idea of the best damage:

Warning, this requires some decos that might be hard to get, but it's still good without them.

Most Melee:
Rath Soul Helm b for crit boost
Rathalos Mail b for weakness exploit
Xenojiva glove a for crit boost
Nerg Coil b for attack boost
Death Stench for handicraft

You'll need the handicraft charm which can only be crafted after getting an item from doing all the optional quests. Some optional quest pop up randomly, the ones that give you mantles.

You need one crit boost deco and one weakness exploit deco to max things out. Two attack boost deco to optimize that skill for the 5% affinity.
If you get two crit boost decos, you can swap the Xenojiva gloves for Kaiser Vambrace b, drop a weakness exploit deco, and slot something else.

Bow is about the same:
Vaal Hazak Coil b for peak performance
Dober Greaves a for Attack boost.

I run the unscathed charm for level 3 peak performance. Ranged shouldn't be getting hit too much, so you should be max health more often than not. I play bow by spamming normal shots with no coating, so I have normal shot deco or I use diablos greaves when I didn't have it yet.

Bowguns, I forgot what I had. You need three piece xenojiva for sure. It saves you a ton of ammo and let's you dps more because you reload less. If you really want the build, I would have to boot up the game again.

KanameYuuki

The only other difficult Elder Dragon is Toaster (anagram for Teostra). The supernova one shots, but can be countered easily with flash pods. It's just that depending on your teammates and your weapon, it's not easy putting away your weapon and flashing in time, so other than Nerg, he kills more than the other two.

If you don't want to play around with sets, I can just give you my idea of the best damage:

Warning, this requires some decos that might be hard to get, but it's still good without them.

Most Melee:
Nerg Coil b for attack boost
Death Stench for handicraft

You'll need the handicraft charm which can only be crafted after getting an item from doing all the optional quests. Some optional quest pop up randomly, the ones that give you mantles.

You need one crit boost deco and one weakness exploit deco to max things out. Two attack boost deco to optimize that skill for the 5% affinity.
If you get two crit boost decos, you can swap the Xenojiva gloves for Kaiser Vambrace b, drop a weakness exploit deco, and slot something else.

Bow is about the same:
Vaal Hazak Coil b for peak performance
Dober Greaves a for Attack boost.

I run the unscathed charm for level 3 peak performance. Ranged shouldn't be getting hit too much, so you should be max health more often than not. I play bow by spamming normal shots with no coating, so I have normal shot deco or I use diablos greaves when I didn't have it yet.

Bowguns, I forgot what I had. You need three piece xenojiva for sure. It saves you a ton of ammo and let's you dps more because you reload less. If you really want the build, I would have to boot up the game again.

Thank you for the sets, gonna give them a try as soon as I defeat the remaining enemies to unlock the sets, I main SnS and Bow so you helped me a lot, and like you I don't really like using coating on bow besides the occasional Power for piercing, Close range gives me waaaaaay too much tunnel vision which I am already suffering from. Been using Odogaron set and it gets the job done but I'm sure there are many skills that could help me more.

atpbx

The fire one is almost as hard as Nergigante, the one in the rotten vale is a piece of piss, smashed through him first try.

I found the biggest issue with Nerg and Testerosa or whatever he is called, is that the damage indicators are very subtle, yes you have the heart beat at the bottom of the screen, but the actual character models show very little sign of damage as you are smashing fuck out of them i thought.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

Thank you for the sets, gonna give them a try as soon as I defeat the remaining enemies to unlock the sets, I main SnS and Bow so you helped me a lot, and like you I don't really like using coating on bow besides the occasional Power for piercing, Close range gives me waaaaaay too much tunnel vision which I am already suffering from. Been using Odogaron set and it gets the job done but I'm sure there are many skills that could help me more.
Odogaron's overrated once you see Weakness Exploit. The set bonuses are overrated too. No one actually uses them except for the xeno'jiva one for bowguns.
The one thing I couldn't get to try was recovery augment on Bow because that thing never dropped. I wanted to see how effective it was keeping up peak performance.

The fire one is almost as hard as Nergigante, the one in the rotten vale is a piece of piss, smashed through him first try.

I found the biggest issue with Nerg and Testerosa or whatever he is called, is that the damage indicators are very subtle, yes you have the heart beat at the bottom of the screen, but the actual character models show very little sign of damage as you are smashing fuck out of them i thought.
I just call him Toaster. Some people say Toaster is easy, but his blast/fire rage is annoying for melee. The best place is in his hind leg for melee. If dual blade, you can stay behind him all the time with movement skills.

Certainly more rough than Vaal Hazak, which I killed like 65 times and solo him in 8 minutes or so.

so, since I don't see it up here, I'm gonna post the gaijinhunter's video on the rare items (gems and such) drop rates.

long story short, you want to do investigations. the silver and gold rewards for those has much better chance to get rare drops than just hunting in expeditions or optional quests.

WaterAstro

I don't even worry about monster materials. I was loaded with literally everything. They say something is rare, but I get those gems like it's a common drop.

One time, I got three gems from a single elder dragon hunt.

KanameYuuki

I get tons of those rare materials too, I have so many wyvern gems and plates of all kinds, pretty funny how for me the common drops are the biggest problem while farming, stuff like tobi's membrane and Rathian Spikes are such a pain.

Grinchy

Banned
So does anyone know about the Great Luck skill? It says, "High chance of increased game rewards (no effect when joining mid-quest)."

Does it mean more rewards, or does it mean increased rarities of rewards? The guy I am playing with has the armor set on and I'm not using it and we're trying to determine if it helps increase the odds of getting sullied streamstones in tempered fights.

So does anyone know about the Great Luck skill? It says, "High chance of increased game rewards (no effect when joining mid-quest)."

Does it mean more rewards, or does it mean increased rarities of rewards? The guy I am playing with has the armor set on and I'm not using it and we're trying to determine if it helps increase the odds of getting sullied streamstones in tempered fights.

if you're talking about the Good Luck skill from the Legiana set, it seems it basically is as it says. that the skill will get you some extra loot after you finish the quest. I remember watching a video about stacking 2 pieces of Legiana set and 3 pieces of Kirin set for the double bonus. of course Kirin's extra loot bonus only works if you capture your monsters. can try that out I suppose.

KanameYuuki

Ofc I get a triple Nora Brave Trophy right on the very last event lol.

Oh right so for anyone playing on PS4 don't forget you can now play the event called The Proving, you need 6 Nora Brave Trophies to get the whole pack of the Horizon crossover 4 Armor + 2 Bow and Wiggle Me also has unique head piece which looks pretty funny, not sure how many runs, gonna do it tomorrow.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
if you're talking about the Good Luck skill from the Legiana set, it seems it basically is as it says. that the skill will get you some extra loot after you finish the quest. I remember watching a video about stacking 2 pieces of Legiana set and 3 pieces of Kirin set for the double bonus. of course Kirin's extra loot bonus only works if you capture your monsters. can try that out I suppose.
Great Luck is another tier above that, and you get it from the armor you can craft with the arena quest rewards. The wording of what it does just makes it confusing as to what it's actually doing.

When you do tempered quests, you get decoration rewards. Sometimes, with very low odds, those decoration rewards can be sullied/shining streamstones. We just can't tell if the Great Luck skill raises the odds of getting these things the same way that getting better rewards normally works.

Last edited:
Great Luck is another tier above that, and you get it from the armor you can craft with the arena quest rewards. The wording of what it does just makes it confusing as to what it's actually doing.

When you do tempered quests, you get decoration rewards. Sometimes, with very low odds, those decoration rewards can be sullied/shining streamstones. We just can't tell if the Great Luck skill raises the odds of getting these things the same way that getting better rewards normally works.

I see. do you have the exact wording on the skill? because I have a feeling it's probably just more loot instead. but hopefully I'm wrong.

on a side note, now that we have Ryu and Aloy skins and Sakura skin is also coming along with the 8 bit MegaMan Palico set, what other skins you think we'll get? personally I think Dante from Devil May Cry would be a great fit. he's from Capcom and has a great sword too. maybe one of the Reasons Resident Evil characters? Chris, Leon or Jill maybe?some of the older Capcom titles would work also, especially some of their side scrolling beat them up games. anyway, can't wait

Grinchy

Banned
I almost don't want to hit HR100. I am still enjoying the grind too much and HR100 feels like the last big milestone. I've seen some people who are like HR150+ still chugging away at it, so I'm sure the urge won't go away any time soon for me either.

what other skins you think we'll get?

I want a Hunter's set and the Kirk Hammer from Bloodborne. No the Great Girros set is not sufficient enough.

As for Capcom owned titles, I would like something from Breath of Fire- though probably unlikely. If we get some DMC content I'd love to see them bring a Nirvana HH or an Agni & Rudra DB.

Or even a SA that looks like the Red Queen.. DMC's got too much potential.

Last edited:

KAOS

QUqPUvf.jpg

WaterAstro

lol tempered kirin. I really wonder how most people deal with tempered Kirin. I felt like I had to play the most perfect bow game in order to beat that quest.

ehead

Has anyone tried blocking Nergigante's lunging attack with a Greatsword? I saw a poster on Reddit debunking the myth that it's unblockable - he was using a Charge Blade if I'm not mistaken. He blocked the initial damage but was tripped by the second one.

WaterAstro

Has anyone tried blocking Nergigante's lunging attack with a Greatsword? I saw a poster on Reddit debunking the myth that it's unblockable - he was using a Charge Blade if I'm not mistaken. He blocked the initial damage but was tripped by the second one.
There's also two lunging attacks, and I think you mean that air dive, right? Every elder has a rage mode, and Nerg hits way harder when he rages. You can see it when his spikes grow really large.
When Nerg isn't in rage mode, I'll take very little damage. When he's in rage mode, I think I might get one shotted, but I usually block and end up with 5% health (which isn't great). I do have fully upgraded armor and probably an armor buff, so I would just consider the rage air dive to be one shot in most cases.

ehead

There's also two lunging attacks, and I think you mean that air dive, right? Every elder has a rage mode, and Nerg hits way harder when he rages. You can see it when his spikes grow really large.
When Nerg isn't in rage mode, I'll take very little damage. When he's in rage mode, I think I might get one shotted, but I usually block and end up with 5% health (which isn't great). I do have fully upgraded armor and probably an armor buff, so I would just consider the rage air dive to be one shot in most cases.

Yeah, the air dive of death with the questionable hitbox. Getting killed in one shot by that attack felt really nasty. I didn't get enough time to unsheath, and do a dive evade.

Last edited:
When I fought tempered Kirin the first time, I was messing around below Legiana's nesting area.
I thought I'd get a cheap mount by repeatedly latching onto wedge beetles.

After a couple of swings I apparently got hit by one of Kirin's big ol lightning bolts and received the faint message mid air.

the thing is there was zero visual or audio que for the attack but I reckon it was one of his big frontal lightning strikes.

Guess the attack has a huge vertical hitbox- don't do what I did kids.

WaterAstro

Yeah, the air dive of death with the questionable hitbox. Getting killed in one shot by that attack felt really nasty. I didn't get enough time to unsheath, and do a dive evade.
It's really hard to avoid. I do a diagonal forward side dodge. The impact is going to hit you if you dodge sideways. Forward or back is obviously bad.

The best thing is hope that your entire team has flash pods. When he goes sleep, he's going to do a lot of air dives, so it's always good to keep alert. He will always roar on hind legs before air diving.

Freak

Ive been resisting the urge to play this until i plat'ed Ghost Recon Wildlands (which i finally did last night). Really looking forward to getting stuck in now. :)

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I've given up and uninstalled. I've done the main story, I've done a few side missions and tried to help out online but I'm never going to get the harder / rarer trophies.

100 hours put into it, but I don't have that time sink available to me to do another 100.

Not a bad thing about the game at all, but moving on.

E: I don't think I found a tempered monster?

Last edited:

WaterAstro

I've given up and uninstalled. I've done the main story, I've done a few side missions and tried to help out online but I'm never going to get the harder / rarer trophies.

100 hours put into it, but I don't have that time sink available to me to do another 100.

Not a bad thing about the game at all, but moving on.

E: I don't think I found a tempered monster?
You can get tempered hunts by finding their tracks during expeditions. Otherwise, your first tempered will be the two bagel quest at HR 29.

Yeah, there's no shame in not continuing because it's kind of grindy after the story. Not much to achieve but to get the best gear and try everything.

Grinchy

Banned
If I only cared about grabbing trophies, that definitely wouldn't have kept me going. The game itself has me continuing the grind. It's just too fun to play and max out different armor pieces for different builds. Then you get into mastering other weapons, arena quests, ect.

so I've been thinking, you know those materials that the monsters drop after you hit them and sometimes it's these things call Dragon Treasure that gives you 800 research points? now I can understand the tears but what are these treasure? we've seen a few of the resting areas for these monsters and no treasure what so ever. and then I remember that in Japanese, the term for testicles is "golden jewel" or something like that, so now it all makes sense. especially since I've yet seen Black Diablos or Rathians drop them... we've been hitting the monsters so hard their balls dropped off...

sorry, just bored and having a little fun. I'll see myself out now.

couple questions.

1st, the SFV event is already over for people who don't own SFV right?

2nd, if you damage the tail a lot using impact weapon like hammer or horn, and then have someone using edge weapon to damage it, does that help with cutting the tail off? or is the cutting damage like a status aliment counter and is calculated separately?

ehead

Finished 5 straight runs of Nergigante quests yesterday to get the limited bounty. I think I've adapted to that monster's moveset. It's probably time to hunt the other elder dragons.

Last edited:
Finished 5 straight runs of Nergigante quests yesterday to get the limited bounty. I think I've adapted to that monster's moveset. It's probably time to hunt the other elder dragons.

I find that hammer and fully unlocked max upgrade armor set would more or less make Nerg a walk in the park. I've been using Vaal set with 3 Protect and 4 defense decorations on it, and I have yet to cart on him since. I do still put on Vitality Mantel at it's near death stage just in case thou.

Pejo

Wew, finally done with Kirin for a while. Maxed out my thunder IG so I can farm Kushala Daora to max out an ice IG. Then I think all I need is the sleep/para tree and I've got an IG of every element/ailment. It sucks that both of them require free element, but I suppose I needed to make a free element set anyways. I'm glad I took the grind slowly, a lot of my friends bum-rushed the game and are all bored of it now. I'm still plugging along.

Finally beat purple bazel fire bro, I think I failed like 15 times in SOS, man so easy in solo. Just made sure to use armour skin when he was red. Still hate he can instant KO even with 25 fire armour

Feel a bit bored now,

WaterAstro

I find that hammer and fully unlocked max upgrade armor set would more or less make Nerg a walk in the park. I've been using Vaal set with 3 Protect and 4 defense decorations on it, and I have yet to cart on him since. I do still put on Vitality Mantel at it's near death stage just in case thou.
I do nerg with the hunting horn because the horn has better potential for stuns and breaks. I don't do it as well as this guy, but I do it pretty well.

Ka-Kui

Just purchased this, my first serious Monster Hunter. Having fun so far.

I have to admit I'm a bit overwhelmed with the systems. Starting to get the hang of it slowly. I've reached MH Rank 3 on the assigned missions.

How long does it take in general for newbs like me to get completely acquainted with everything?

Nolagamer

Neophyte
Just purchased this, my first serious Monster Hunter. Having fun so far.

I have to admit I'm a bit overwhelmed with the systems. Starting to get the hang of it slowly. I've reached MH Rank 3 on the assigned missions.

How long does it take in general for newbs like me to get completely acquainted with everything?
This was also my first monster Hunter game and I'm currently rank 30 with investing 184 hours into the game. There have been instances where I found out a certain feature about this game after playing 100 hours into it. I would STRONGLY suggest spending a day watching Arrekzgaming and
Gaijin Hunter youtube videos. They both have a plethora of tutorials and tips for MHW. I learned alot from watching their videos.

Last edited:

Pejo

I do nerg with the hunting horn because the horn has better potential for stuns and breaks. I don't do it as well as this guy, but I do it pretty well.

I find that HH with Self Improvement song makes a ton of monsters way easier than cutting weapons have it. Barroth, Anja, Nerg, and Kirin to name a few. I'm really in love with HH's iteration in this game. Having the songs listed and showing the notes that will finish songs are such a huge QoL improvement, not forcing you to memorize any of the song patterns (even though you do it organically now). Really fun to play.

KanameYuuki

For some reason I have stopped playing after defeating Kushala and Vaal, I haven't even complete the main game, maybe I was playing a bit too much, those elder got me in low spirits, they weren't even that hard, but those mechanics got me a bit overwhelmed.

Grinchy

Banned
I think the worst thing about this game is the monster screams that scare you out of moving, healing, hitting, jumping, ect. It's especially bad when there's a turf war going on and you might face 4 screams in a row, leaving you immobilized for like a minute straight. Taking control away from the player is very rarely a good gameplay mechanic. Yes, I know about earplugs.

Top Bottom