• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World |OT| Where The Wild Things Are

WaterAstro

I think the worst thing about this game is the monster screams that scare you out of moving, healing, hitting, jumping, ect. It's especially bad when there's a turf war going on and you might face 4 screams in a row, leaving you immobilized for like a minute straight. Taking control away from the player is very rarely a good gameplay mechanic. Yes, I know about earplugs.
I watched a stream where two monsters kept roaring for like half a minute. It was funny.

WaterAstro

lol it happens to me all the damn time

The guy I play with always has earplugs on and is very tired of hearing my complaints about the roars.
Earplugs are pretty good because it indirectly translates to damage. While they're roaring, you can continue to hit their shit.

The charm gives 3 earplug, and you could get 2 from decos if you have the level 3 slots.

Ka-Kui

Damn, I regret purchasing this game... 'cos It's so addicting! Friend came over to visit and it was hard to pay attention to him as I was playing. This doesn't usually happen to me.

The only real issue I have is that this is the only game that makes my PS4 sound like it's struggling, the fans just go on loudly non-stop so long as the game is running. With other games it'd do it in short bursts but with MHW it just goes on. Should I be worried?

KanameYuuki

And even blocking the scream has so much recovery, it feels specially bad since usually after a scream monsters decide to fly away, I hate tremors way more, at least on screams everyone is on the same ground immobilized, even the monster while it does it and you get used to how long you have to wait to recover but the other one seems to take forever watching your hunter walk like a drunk.

This game makes my PS4 go berserk too been trying to find the special screw just so I can give it a good clean because it is a bit scary hearing that fan.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Earplugs are pretty good because it indirectly translates to damage. While they're roaring, you can continue to hit their shit.

The charm gives 3 earplug, and you could get 2 from decos if you have the level 3 slots.
Yeah, I can easily put them together at level 5, but then that completely kills the build that I put together already. And that's my big complaint about it in the first place.

It's such a mindless gameplay mechanic in the first place and the only way to stop it is to massively focus your loadout on making the ridiculousness stop.

WaterAstro

I bring my xeno hunting horn to nullify wind effects, but it doesn't nullify wind damage which you can take if you're in the centre of the tornado. It's enough that if you flash pod kushala on his tornado, the wind doesn't bother when you attack. Kushala is basically a flash pod fight lol.

For Vaal, you should get max effluvialblah resistance, and not the one that let's you walk through the cloud without taking damage. If you have that, you'll never get the debuff. If you don't have it, there are nulberries where you fight him, so pick them up and eat them, then get health back.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
How do you all deal when Kushala goes crazy with tornados and when you get your hp limited on Vaal?

Not sure about Kushala, but Vaal you can just eat the blue thing or wait it out. You can often avoid the effect altogether if you see it coming. He doesn't seem to actually hit you all that much anyhow.

so, finally finished with the game's story and all quests, including the lvl 100 one. I'm currently clocking at 310+ hours and the game still feels fun to me. I went and found a lobby that's more arena focused and ended up partnering with a JP player for about 5 fights or so. it was really fun and we both did pretty good, even close to cracking into the A ranking in a couple fights. I'm gonna try to do more later to get the coins needed for the cool arena gears.

KanameYuuki

Completly forgot about the berry, now with that and flash pod spam the fight are pretty easy, and going bow was a big msitake from me, I'm definitely a SnS main.

Ka-Kui

So has this happened to anyone: I go to an SOS call hunting 3 monsters, me and the other dude take it down no problem, we part ways somehow which is fine so I come across the other monster and start taking him down on my own, I spend a good a 15 mins battling with ny life getting it down to ropes and then boom... the mission ends and I've been hunting the wrong monster all this time.

KanameYuuki

I have a question about HH, while I understand every move the one thing I'm not sure at all is how often should I perform, is it only to refresh buffs or lets say monster is downed should I do a forward performance since that one does a ton of damage, or let's say every buff is up should I use perform to do damage or simply wack the monsters with normal moves?

I have a question about HH, while I understand every move the one thing I'm not sure at all is how often should I perform, is it only to refresh buffs or lets say monster is downed should I do a forward performance since that one does a ton of damage, or let's say every buff is up should I use perform to do damage or simply wack the monsters with normal moves?

I feel u shouldn't stress too much about when to refresh as building up notes is super easy and buffs last pretty long especially with horn maestro.
I recommend u utilize performance for the extra damage whenever u can but be mindful about ur timing because it does have a long animation, same goes with encoring.
Pretty much don't use it unless u know u can land it safely. A good HH user will be able to chain their normal attacks on a monster's head while finishing with performances if they stagger.

yes! I called it! Dante skin from DMC is coming. prefect fit really, so glad we're getting that. looks like weapon will be a charge blade instead of a great sword , should be fun.

edit: and they even have a female version for the skin? awesome!

Last edited:

PulseONE

How do you all deal when Kushala goes crazy with tornados and when you get your hp limited on Vaal?
There are a few ways. For Kushala, if you use Elder Seal weapons (like any Nergigante weapon) it can prevent him from having the constant wind pressure surrounding him. Alternatively there is a skill to resist wind pressure (and a Hunting Horn that gives you a buff for it)

For Vaal, there are decorations and outfits that let you resist his miasma thingie (I think the Girros set does it). Alternatively carry alot of Nulberries as they can cure it.

All the QoL changes, omgggg also Jho comes out on the 22nd! next week!!

Sadly I'll be overseas til April and won't be able to fight him :< Maybe I'll try remote playing with my vita..

Grinchy

Banned
I almost wish I didn't have 200 hours in this game already now that these improvements are coming haha

Not getting hit out of the air while doing the helm breaker from the long sword is pretty big. That always annoyed the shit out of me. The improved loading times are also so very welcomed.

Last edited:

Pejo

All the QoL changes, omgggg also Jho comes out on the 22nd! next week!!

Sadly I'll be overseas til April and won't be able to fight him :< Maybe I'll try remote playing with my vita..

Thanks for this album. Combined with the QoL changes, this has me really excited.

-IG extracts longer and stronger, no more being completely unbuffed after mounting.
-SA discharge finisher might actually be usable now. I'll have to see how easily I'm getting thrown off before I judge for sure
-CB with phial buffs all around, and a little extra elemental damage. Hope it's enough to make the Blos CB not automatically the best always.

All this dropping on my birthday. You and me are friends, Capcom.

Raitaro

Question, if I may: do any of you have trouble claiming the 7.5 million gift items (unlike with the other two gift packs)?

When I press triangle to bring up the daily login bonus screen, it does list the gift pack on top, but below I only see the daily voucher screen. When I press X, normally there would be a second part showing the gift items, at least that is what happened for the 5.0 and 6.0 item packs, but with the 7.5 one the login bonus screen disappears immediately and the items are nowhere to be found in my item box/inventory. (And no, as with the other packs, talking to the Housekeeper does not help either as the gift packs don't show up there to be claimed manually.)

I'm not entirely alone with this as a few Reddit users are reporting the same problem (see the bottom posts).

That said, it doesn't seem as widespread as the initial problems people had with the 5.0 gift pack that was due to an actual error on Capcom's part.

In any case, I'm at a loss here and the end date of March 22nd is rapidly approaching. Maybe this is a glitch that occurs when players (like me) have not played very far into the game and/or have the maximum amount of daily vouchers (i.e. when all five slots are filled in the daily bonus screen)?

Last edited:
man, the buffs and changes to the weapons are so good. I don't even use SA or CB but those changes really make me want to try them out. new spring flower event and Poogie costume, along with that contest winner CB all looks great. and of course, the Jho is coming! Capcom is really putting in work to keep the momentum of MHW's success going. good job on this one Capcom.

A couple weeks back I mentioned my wishes for the DMC colab for the game, now that we know what it is I thought I'd share what I have been up to since.

Come on Capcom, make my dreams come true!!

JohannCK

According to the official Japanese site, aside from Deviljho, the March 22 update is going to include:

• Improved load times
  • Players can choose to return to the gathering hub upon clearing a quest
  • Subtitle size can be changed from start menu > options > game settings
  • Attacks from other players no longer interrupt carving animations, and all forms of attack (including bombs, etc.) do not interrupt carving animations after the clearing of a quest
  • Reduction per quest to the guide level rising from monster research levels is reduced
  • The update version is now displayed on the title screen (2.00 for PS4)

I'm VERY thankful for turning off friendly fire while carving because I once ran into an obnoxious tit with a bowguns who joined a quest late, dicked around without actually fighting the monster, and then shot at everyone else while we were trying to carve parts out (I ended up unable to carve the tail), and that was one time too many.

There really ought to be a way to block if not outright report/ban that sort of player.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
  • Reduction per quest to the guide level rising from monster research levels is reduced
What does this mean?

Last edited:

JohannCK

Yeah that's badly-worded (copied it from elsewhere) but guide levels for monsters go down (per quest) if you don't track them for some time, and they're making it so that the amount going down will be reduced if you have higher research levels for them.

Honestly never noticed it happening myself but apparently it's a thing.

Last edited:
Damn, I regret purchasing this game... 'cos It's so addicting! Friend came over to visit and it was hard to pay attention to him as I was playing. This doesn't usually happen to me.

The only real issue I have is that this is the only game that makes my PS4 sound like it's struggling, the fans just go on loudly non-stop so long as the game is running. With other games it'd do it in short bursts but with MHW it just goes on. Should I be worried?
Buy yourself some high quality thermal paste and a can of compressed air, strip the ps4 down completely clean it (tonnes of fluff and dust will be in the fins of the heat sink.) Change the paste and it will sound new again.

I've cleaned mine 3 times now,as soon as it gets too loud i strip it and clean it. Mhw and injustice 2 used to make my ps4 sound like a jet engine. Now its whisper quiet.

KanameYuuki

New events are up and one of them is Xeno, I should seriously defeat Teo and Xeno already and progress but I can't stop farming.

Decoration grinding is soul crushing. Never mind that I never actually got to augment any of the weapons I use cause I never got the right streamstones, I really just want to play around with different builds but desire sensor won't let me.

Grinchy

Banned
Decoration grinding is soul crushing. Never mind that I never actually got to augment any of the weapons I use cause I never got the right streamstones, I really just want to play around with different builds but desire sensor won't let me.
The buddy I play with hasn't gotten a single one for his favorite weapon after 200+ hours of playing. I've gotten 5 for my long sword (zero Hero ones though).

Yeah, it's a fake way to extend the feel of the ending of the game. They don't want you to feel like you've done everything so they give you a tiny lottery chance of barely enhancing your weapons.

Xiaoki

Thats what happens you center your end game on an item that has THREE levels of RNG that can only drop in limited slots, that are RNG, from Investigations, that are RNG, when you fight only 5 of the 30 monsters.

I got up to 200 hours in the game and then my desire to play plummeted. Lately I only play with real life friends and even then its only to do the weekly bounty.

Next week I'll farm out Deviljho and then go back barely playing until the next big update.

Raitaro

Did anyone see my previous question perhaps?

In any case, still no luck getting the 7.5 million gift items (despite having no trouble with the 5 and 6 million packs).

I even tried using one of the vouchers so that a new one could appear in the fifth slot on the initial daily bonus screen (in case them being full caused a glitch or something) but even after that, the bonus screen disappears before giving me the follow-up screen where the gift items should have been shown.

As said, the list on top does show the title of the pack (along with that new character voucher), but I think that the items are not actually being added to my item box because the game is skipping the second part of the bonus screen that should show the items themselves.

No one on Reddit seems to offer a solution either despite a few other people mentioning the problem.

Only 4 days before the deadline. Man, if I really am not getting these items without any clear reason or without anyone at Capcom picking up on what must be a relative small scale glitch, that definitely would suck lot of the enjoyment out of this game for me as a relative fresh player.

Last edited:

KanameYuuki

So I'm not really sure how to progress, I did so much farming before completing the story that my HR was 29 as soon as I did the last mission, and had to do the 2x Bazelgeise, beat it too and HR is now 49 and now I have the tempered Kirin mission, and haven't done any other tempered moster besides 2x Bazelgeise, should I farm for a bit or should I try my best to do Kirin and then farm for augments and all of that stuff, I don't even have final Nerg weapon and only crappy/normal gems.

I'm pretty sure I haven't claim those items either, I had the same exact problem with the very first thank you gift, that first one was only reedemable for me until Capcom released a fix.

Last edited:
Did anyone see my previous question perhaps?

In any case, still no luck getting the 7.5 million gift items (despite having no trouble with the 5 and 6 million packs).

I even tried using one of the vouchers so that a new one could appear in the fifth slot on the initial daily bonus screen (in case them being full caused a glitch or something) but even after that, the bonus screen disappears before giving me the follow-up screen where the gift items should have been shown.

As said, the list on top does show the title of pack (along with that new character voucher), but I think that the items are not actually being added to my item box because the game is skipping the second part of the bonus screen that should show the items themselves.

No one on Reddit seems to offer a solution either despite a few other people mentioning the problem.

Only 4 days before the deadline. Man, if I really am not getting these items without any clear reason or without anyone at Capcom picking up on what must be a relative small scale glitch, that definitely would suck lot of the enjoyment out of this game for me as a relative fresh player.

I'm not too sure about how to solve your problem, other than maybe email Capcom/Sony about it and hope for the best? I don't even remember what the gift was thou, some consumables and meal vouchers? don't sweat over it too much and just enjoy the game for it's other aspects.

So I'm not really sure how to progress, I did so much farming before completing the story that my HR was 29 as soon as I did the last mission, and had to do the 2x Bazelgeise, beat it too and HR is now 49 and now I have the tempered Kirin mission, and haven't done any other tempered moster besides 2x Bazelgeise, should I farm for a bit or should I try my best to do Kirin and then farm for augments and all of that stuff, I don't even have final Nerg weapon and only crappy/normal gems.

I'm pretty sure I haven't claim those items either, I had the same exact problem with the very first thank you gift, that first one was only reedemable for me until Capcom released a fix.

I would suggest to clear out your investigations a little to make room, and use that quest to follow the Tempered Kirin around to pick up on all the footprints and hair it drops. it'll net you a lot of Tempered investigations that way. especially since you can repeat the quest (as long as you cart out or time out) to do it instead of the investigations where you'll use them up.

KanameYuuki

I would suggest to clear out your investigations a little to make room, and use that quest to follow the Tempered Kirin around to pick up on all the footprints and hair it drops. it'll net you a lot of Tempered investigations that way. especially since you can repeat the quest (as long as you cart out or time out) to do it instead of the investigations where you'll use them up.

Oh yeah I read about that somewhere, that I should try to farm as many investigations as possible on that quest and I believe on a YT video same with Nerg, gonna do so then.

The game used to be quite good with my drops but nowadays the desire sensor kicked in and haven't been able to upgrade any of my weapons I've been getting gems and rubies for ever single mosnter except the ones I need lol, can't imagine when I start serious deco farming and the unique upgrade items for each weapon.

ehead

So I started using HBGs, specifically the Legia Shattercryst. Man, the game plays like a TPS now. That's exaggerated, but yeah it works really well. I just need to farm for a good decoration now.

I was able to almost beat the dual Bazelgeuse quest without using any potion or health booster. Almost because one hunter kept carting (3 times, goddamn).

you can do pretty much all of tempered in SOS once you get to like 35.

Raitaro

I'm not too sure about how to solve your problem, other than maybe email Capcom/Sony about it and hope for the best? I don't even remember what the gift was thou, some consumables and meal vouchers? don't sweat over it too much and just enjoy the game for it's other aspects.

Thanks for replying. For clarity, this 7.5 million pack contains 50 life powders, 3 deluxe first wyverian prints, 10 ancient potions, 10 armor spheres+ and 3 golden eggs. I'd say some of those are more valuable than mere consumables, no?

I agree though that I shouldn't allow it to ruin the game for me if I'm not being able to claim / receive them, but I also can't dismiss this so easily because of how much focus this game puts on being connected and getting new content, quests etc. If someone like me (and a few others on reddit) randomly is not getting these items due to a glitch (which, if I had to guess, could have something to do with not being far enough into the game to have gotten these gift items naturally), who knows what kind of larger scale issues might pop up later for any of us.

Not to repeat myself but it's just so weird and frustrating that I am seeing the pack title in the daily bonus screen but am somehow not getting the second pop up that triggers the items to go into my item box. And that this is only happening with this third gift pack...

I guess contacting Capcom would be best, though outside of twitter (which I barely use) I would have no idea how best to do that. I'll see what I can do.

Grinchy

Banned
God, I see people on Twitch who are like HR900+ lol

How in the hell has anyone played the game that much? I've played this game more in a short period of time than maybe any game in the past 10 years, but I'm barely over HR100. People are crazy.

Thanks for replying. For clarity, this 7.5 million pack contains 50 life powders, 3 deluxe first wyverian prints, 10 ancient potions, 10 armor spheres+ and 3 golden eggs. I'd say some of those are more valuable than mere consumables, no?

I agree though that I shouldn't allow it to ruin the game for me if I'm not being able to claim / receive them, but I also can't dismiss this so easily because of how much focus this game puts on being connected and getting new content, quests etc. If someone like me (and a few others on reddit) randomly is not getting these items due to a glitch (which, if I had to guess, could have something to do with not being far enough into the game to have gotten these gift items naturally), who knows what kind of larger scale issues might pop up later for any of us.

Not to repeat myself but it's just so weird and frustrating that I am seeing the pack title in the daily bonus screen but am somehow not getting the second pop up that triggers the items to go into my item box. And that this is only happening with this third gift pack...

I guess contacting Capcom would be best, though outside of twitter (which I barely use) I would have no idea how best to do that. I'll see what I can do.

try this I guess,

http://www.capcom.com/us/

it would be a start.

can't seem to load whatever it is you uploaded. can you elaborate?

M'bad, I modelled a switch axe that looks like Nero's red queen from dmc4 xD
Hopefully it shows up here, can't wait to come home to play more monhun !!

17725572_large.jpg

Last edited:
God, I see people on Twitch who are like HR900+ lol

How in the hell has anyone played the game that much? I've played this game more in a short period of time than maybe any game in the past 10 years, but I'm barely over HR100. People are crazy.

pretty sure I heard that at least on PS4 you can hack the local files and get your rank up or something. that or people just take turns playing on the same account to boost it.

I'll try sending an email to the UK customer service (since I'm in Europe). See where that will get me.

good luck, hope you get those gifts.

M'bad, I modelled a switch axe that looks like Nero's red queen from dmc4 xD
Hopefully it shows up here, can't wait to come home to play more monhun !!

17725572_large.jpg

it does look pretty cool. and I do hope they put more stuff in there like this in the future.

Raitaro

good luck, hope you get those gifts.

No gifts still but the European customer support did send me a questionnaire for this game to fill in so at least they are taking it seriously. With the deadline tomorrow and me having to travel tomorrow too, I do wonder if this will end up solving the problem though (unless they are able to make them appear in someone's item box after the deadline too). Fingers crossed I guess.

No gifts still but the European customer support did send me a questionnaire for this game to fill in so at least they are taking it seriously. With the deadline tomorrow and me having to travel tomorrow too, I do wonder if this will end up solving the problem though (unless they are able to make them appear in someone's item box after the deadline too). Fingers crossed I guess.

fingers cross.

KanameYuuki

The Arena sure is hard solo, wish it was possible for randoms to join like normal quest. Anyone who would like to help me with 4 Rathalos coins?

Edit: this is impossible it's easier just to go back to the drawing board and make sure to make a Build with no Arena gear at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom