• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World |OT| Where The Wild Things Are

Valonquar

I'm still earlyish game around rank 9. Any early OP weapons I should be aware of, or just grind ahead to endgame for now?

Pejo

I'm still earlyish game around rank 9. Any early OP weapons I should be aware of, or just grind ahead to endgame for now?
Just pick the highest raw damage weapon you can easily make in low rank for your selected weapon. I wouldn't spend any longer grinding in low rank than you have to. You will be fighting all the same monsters again in High Rank for more/better rewards. Once you hit high rank, it's probably worth it to start being more deliberate. You get hard capped at how far along you can upgrade by the story anyways.

Which weapon do you mainly use?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

There is no real OP weapon class. Pick something you can stay alive with, like sword and shield. Also spend those armor cores, they become obsolete, there are 4-5 types. You don't really grind until after the story, so just keep completing stuff including side stuff to unlock the biology stuff and new mantles. You can see who gives the quest and that is a hint at the reward (or look it up).

The DMC event is so annoying, twice got to tetra with random just for them to be melted. I mean 50+ players should have anti-fire armor like black diablo's. Instead there using youtube/gamefaqs high damage sets.
I think I will just skip this event

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Have finally managed to beat the two bazelgeuse.

All the advice of just let them beat each other up never happened in my numerous attempts.

I finally have the Small crown trophy for gold small crowns on all monsters. But the Large crowns are eluding me!

I still need 7 more large ones. Its probably just RNG. But somehow Large has been rarer for me than small.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Augmentations? Is there a specific way to obtain these now?

Reading the wiki it says you may have already picked up the items needed along the way, but not me.

Augmentations? Is there a specific way to obtain these now?

Reading the wiki it says you may have already picked up the items needed along the way, but not me.

basically you need to farm tempered monsters for those stones to drop. different stones for different tier and type weapons and now it should be easier to farm them with the patch from a while ago. PM me if you need help and are on PS4

#miller

Hey, since Dauntless has me hyped again for this game and I am still waiting for the PC version of it - is there any news for us PC players? Last thing I have is only the sparse release window.

Been kind of busy, so I am just now start it up. I feel kind of overwhelmed by the menu systems :/ coming from mostly playing MHFU (600+ hours woohoo). I've never really done MMOs, and this looks like the ones my GF plays. Lots and lots and lots of menus and more cluttered UI.

On the plus side, the new weapons/changes to weapons look fun. I was always Hammer/HBG/LS, and the Insect Glaive has my attention just for the vaulting. That feels awesome, and with mounting monsters I'm guessing it will be pretty useful.

For some reason the control feel really different from what I remember from MHFU too >_>.

Grinchy

Banned
Been kind of busy, so I am just now start it up. I feel kind of overwhelmed by the menu systems :/ coming from mostly playing MHFU (600+ hours woohoo). I've never really done MMOs, and this looks like the ones my GF plays. Lots and lots and lots of menus and more cluttered UI.

On the plus side, the new weapons/changes to weapons look fun. I was always Hammer/HBG/LS, and the Insect Glaive has my attention just for the vaulting. That feels awesome, and with mounting monsters I'm guessing it will be pretty useful.

For some reason the control feel really different from what I remember from MHFU too >_>.
I had only ever played Freedom Unite before World. Well, I played some MH Generations on 3DS, but not a whole lot.

World will feel very natural to you in no time. In fact, after you play a bunch of it, it'll be almost impossible to go back to the old formula. The Switch demo for Generations feels ancient because of World.

Last edited:
I had only ever played Freedom Unite before World. Well, I played some MH Generations on 3DS, but not a whole lot.

World will feel very natural to you in no time. In fact, after you play a bunch of it, it'll be almost impossible to go back to the old formula. The Switch demo for Generations feels ancient because of World.

Yeah, I just got through the first expedition quest and it feels a lot better, at least in terms of understanding the UI. Only complaint I have now for the UI is that seeing the Scout Flies in daylight is really hard for me.

The capturing mechanic took me by surprise. I ran around capturing stuff for quite a while. Got chased by the T-Rex wyvern a few times, but it seems like it gave up pretty quick, but it was worth it. I've got a little archeopteryx pet now.

One thing I love is that the whetstone has infinite uses - I was kind of worried about that in an open world scenario (having to constantly find mining points with whetstones). That's a huge benefit, and something I wish the series had previously. Made chasing down the oviraptor thing so much easier, as I had to sharpen my hammer four times during the fights.

I like how the formula looks too - explore an area, secure a camp, and scout track/signs to help with keeping track of the monsters around the area. I kept trying to fight the Great Jagras, but I kept getting interrupted by the T-Rex, so having better knowledge will help with picking my fights.

Pejo

So, PC version is out.
Anyone tried it? Is it a good port? How are the M+K controls?
I bought it after playing a good number of hours on ps4 pro. It's an "ok" port. There's some issues with the way it handles the CPU that makes it way more of a resource hog than it needs to be, but its not terrible. There were a lot of bad disconnection issues for the first week or two, but they've been mostly addressed. Haven't tried KB+M.

sonofa... I wasn't home so missed the Harvest Fest earlier this month. figured I'll finally get some hunt on now that I'm home, but now the Harvest Fest is over and I just realized I also missed the USJ event stuff too. sigh... hopefully they will bring it back around Christmas...

new event on PS4 for the Aloy layer armor is pretty tough with the 2 Tempered Deviljo, until you realize they would fight each other, a lot. tried to do it with other people but everyone keeps dying. ended up just finishing it solo. put on the highest defense armor with dragon resist, and went in to put some hits in from time to time with temporal mantle on. took about 30 minutes or so this way for each hunt and I still carted a few times, but at least more of a safe bet.

Last edited:

Codes 208

I started playing this again, created a new file to accommodate my new cat Domino.

And holy balls do I enjoy using the charged blade now.

Grinchy

Banned
I came back to this because of the events all coming back. I figured I'd get some gold crowns out of the way.

The events definitely help with that, but holy shit is it a massively boring grind. I don't know if I'll finish it because loading in and out of the same event and running up to a monster for an hour straight without getting a single small one really makes you question how you're living your life. What were they thinking with these dumb crowns?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I came back to this because of the events all coming back. I figured I'd get some gold crowns out of the way.

The events definitely help with that, but holy shit is it a massively boring grind. I don't know if I'll finish it because loading in and out of the same event and running up to a monster for an hour straight without getting a single small one really makes you question how you're living your life. What were they thinking with these dumb crowns?
In the good ol' days most of the crowns could be obtained by playing specific quests. There was one with three person-sized Kut Ku that was a lot of frustration fun and it gave you a Smallest crown guaranteed.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
https://gematsu.com/2018/12/monster...update-video-presentation-set-for-december-10
Capcom will host a 15-minute, pre-recorded “Special Developer Update” video presentation for Monster Hunter: World on December 10 at 6:00 a.m. PT / 9:00 a.m. ET / 2:00 p.m. GMT / 23:00 JST, the company announced. The presentation will be streamed on YouTube and Twitch.
Finally info on the G/Ultimate expansion I'm guessing, for it to be 15 minutes long it can't be just one new monster etc. It's been tweeteased by Sony as well so no it's not a port announcement :p

Let's hope that restores the solo difficulty and progression to be in line with previous entries while having better designed less annoying to navigate maps and everything else improved and expanded upon.

Last edited:

Codes 208

I just got done trying to play the demo for MHGU on the switch. I just can’t do it. I can’t go back to that style of gameplay, this game has spoiled me with a full open maps that don’t require loading screens between areas. And the controls felt clunky.

And holy shit the graphics suck. I know it’s basically a port of a 3ds game but the low textures look like a ps2 game or early ps3/360 era.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I just got done trying to play the demo for MHGU on the switch. I just can’t do it. I can’t go back to that style of gameplay, this game has spoiled me with a full open maps that don’t require loading screens between areas. And the controls felt clunky.

And holy shit the graphics suck. I know it’s basically a port of a 3ds game but the low textures look like a ps2 game or early ps3/360 era.
Sucks, I semi-regularly play my Wii's MHTri without issue, I recently also played a bit of MH4U on a friend's 3DS and that was pretty sweet. It's a bit hard going to my PSP's MHFU (via PPSSPP) but I adjust ok!

My favorite of all yet must be Tri, I wish World had been a Tri-2. I don't mind the loading, it's like one second, I do mind long useless areas/corridors/paths in some of World's maps a lot though but that's me.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned

Yeah, I made it through 2 hunts on that demo and it looked, played, and sounded so horrible after playing a bunch of World. I have my complaints about World, but I can't go backwards.

Codes 208

Yeah, I made it through 2 hunts on that demo and it looked, played, and sounded so horrible after playing a bunch of World. I have my complaints about World, but I can't go backwards.
My thought process as well. And as someone who wants a new phantasy star game, I can’t imagine doing the same grind of 1-1 to 1-4 and a boss fight just like with psu, it’s just too tedious for me now.

Grinchy

Banned
It deserves those 11 million sales. I have my small complaints about it, but it's going to serve as a great platform for the bigger, more varied entries yet to come.

Caayn

Okay, I gave the Witcher 3 content a shot. Did the main quests and wondered around a bit but didn't manage to complete a side-quest. In the fight with the Leshen I got till the final stage (Area 1) where I got defeated. So I thought that I'd give it another go and that I could continue from the start of the Leshen fight. Well, that was a giant no apparently. You need to walk and talk to everyone again in order to get to fight the Leshen again. Yeah, I'm not interested in doing that at the moment. So I'll be leaving the content for what it is for now.

so, figured I would do some farming on the AT stuff before the spring event is over. for the last few days while I’m farming, I notice something. apparently nobody knows the clearmind charm works wonders on Lunastra. I have my fair shre of death too of course, but only with Lunastra’s super move. but I see so many other died to her regular attacks or the burn effects. seriously guys, switch out whatever charms your using and put on a clearmind charm already. ur “omg dps” set up won’t help the hunt if u cart 2 times before I even join in on the fight.

also, anyone hype about the new Iceborne stuff? Narga looks pretty cool and the snow zone monsters and over all look is great too (even thou it’s just a reskin brute and piscine wyvern, the new moves still look great.). and there’s still more to come too so I’m definitely looking forword to it. and AT Nergi tomorrow on top of that! this is truly the game that keeps on giving.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i'm returning to this game in a big way after putting around 40 hours into it and dropping it months ago. i got stuck at Into the Bowels of the Vale and some other games came out and you know the drill. now i picked it back up during some downtime and am having a lot of fun doing side missions and stuff. any tips for dealing with Odogaron?

loving getting back into it. this game has worlds that are just brimming with stuff. so much flora and fauna. so many things to collect. it's really a joy to just explore. i'd been ignoring the Investigations up til now. i only just started doing them and it seems like a really good way to gain monster parts and gear.

Last edited:

Pejo

i'm returning to this game in a big way after putting around 40 hours into it and dropping it months ago. i got stuck at Into the Bowels of the Vale and some other games came out and you know the drill. now i picked it back up during some downtime and am having a lot of fun doing side missions and stuff. any tips for dealing with Odogaron?

loving getting back into it. this game has worlds that are just brimming with stuff. so much flora and fauna. so many things to collect. it's really a joy to just explore. i'd been ignoring the Investigations up til now. i only just started doing them and it seems like a really good way to gain monster parts and gear.
Odie actually rewards staying close and agressive for most of the weapons. A lot of his feints and jumps won't hit you if you stick near his back quarters or side. Also, if you're fighting him in the Vale, keep in mind you can use torch ammo for the slinger to create a spot that Miasma won't get you, just shoot it at the ground. Also, any of the mantles will prevent the effluvial buildup while it's active. Makes fighting him in the gassy zones not quite so bad. He's also weak to paralyze so you can put a good hurt on him with some para weapons or lucky hits from wandering Girros.

Coconutt

This thread is barer than I thought it would be, what weapon changes are people looking forward to the most? Personally excited for the new charge blade mechanics, put that axe mode to good use now instead of only using it for the discharge before recharging again.

Pejo

This thread is barer than I thought it would be, what weapon changes are people looking forward to the most? Personally excited for the new charge blade mechanics, put that axe mode to good use now instead of only using it for the discharge before recharging again.
I'll be honest, I haven't really kept up on most of the changes. I found out that the PC version is delayed without much good reason, so I won't be getting iceborne for quite some time yet. I was really hoping SnS oils would make it in, but they don't seem like they have. Regardless, I'm going to try SnS again. I'm hoping once elemental becomes a little more viable, SnS will be more rewarding than it was in the base game.

I do like the new SnS claw moves too, they seem fun.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I have several Lances, LBGs, Hammers, and HHs available once the new expansion hits. I haven't really kept up on the changes to mechanics.

My son and daughter both got into MH4U on the 3DS and have been playing that together. Gotta start the new hunters young.

Charge Blade still has its guard points, doesn't it? I actually gave it up because it was too OP in 4U and Generations :pie_grinning_sweat:

Coconutt

I have several Lances, LBGs, Hammers, and HHs available once the new expansion hits. I haven't really kept up on the changes to mechanics.

My son and daughter both got into MH4U on the 3DS and have been playing that together. Gotta start the new hunters young.

Charge Blade still has its guard points, doesn't it? I actually gave it up because it was too OP in 4U and Generations :pie_grinning_sweat:

Guard point is definitely still a thing. Can't speak for it's strength in past MH games but it's top 3 in my opinion in terms of damage and the changes they're making to it seems like it'll just make it stronger.

I'll be honest, I haven't really kept up on most of the changes. I found out that the PC version is delayed without much good reason, so I won't be getting iceborne for quite some time yet. I was really hoping SnS oils would make it in, but they don't seem like they have. Regardless, I'm going to try SnS again. I'm hoping once elemental becomes a little more viable, SnS will be more rewarding than it was in the base game.

I do like the new SnS claw moves too, they seem fun.

I messed around with SnS, found it fun but definitely missing something, there was no big payoff with that weapon, just did a steady small amount of damage, the wall jump attack is pretty cool though.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Hah I’m using the convertible axe. I’m the kind of player who finds one weapon and sticks w it for the whole game. Lame I know but that axe is fun

Rudelord

I mostly play hammer, LBG, and HBG, with some dabbling in lance and swaxe. Hopefully Iceborne does some buffs for swaxe and Normal 3 HBG because both of them are a little lacking in the base game.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i have a few questions. so im a bit fuzzy on Investigations. is there an infinite number of them? any point to doing multiple investigations on the same monster aside from grinding materials? cos i was like, "oh i'll knock out some smaller enemies" and there were 5 then i looked and saw more missions, in the same map even, fighting the same enemy. does this improve my Hunter Rating at all or is that story mission based? is this just for grinding? i'm guessing doing one or two investigations per monster should be enough for getting all the armor sets, is that correct?

tommycronin

Banned
Hey guys, dunno how this works on here but I was in charge of one of the monster hunter ps4 clans for era ages ago and I wanna bring the clan back but I'd rather fill it up with people from here dont think I need to explain why on that one haha so gimme a shout if you want a invite to the clan and the discord I made recently too for it and other games still in the early stages, still a month out but I wanna fill it all up before then

Pejo

i have a few questions. so im a bit fuzzy on Investigations. is there an infinite number of them? any point to doing multiple investigations on the same monster aside from grinding materials? cos i was like, "oh i'll knock out some smaller enemies" and there were 5 then i looked and saw more missions, in the same map even, fighting the same enemy. does this improve my Hunter Rating at all or is that story mission based? is this just for grinding? i'm guessing doing one or two investigations per monster should be enough for getting all the armor sets, is that correct?
Investigations are for farming specific targets (extra rewards for doing so) and eventually gems. If you're needing moster parts for building armor/weapons, investigations are usually worth it provided you can beat the conditions. You can also get stuff like increased money etc. They are limited with a number of how many times you can ACCEPT the quest. That means, if you accept it and then cancel it before you even leave town, it still counts unfortunately (unless they changed something). The ones with the smaller enemies are especially nice for grinding those parts, like the bugs. They also usually have a decent zeni reward.

Most investigations have modifiers that either make it harder or increase/decrease a certain aspect of the hunt. (shorter timer, more mining points, etc). All the info is on the investigation itself.

So I don't know how I missed this, but apparently we got confirmation on a number of returning monsters and new variants. Iceborne's gonna have Brachy apparently!

There isn't anything in stone for all of these yet, but here's what the roster is apparently shaping up as:

9ctah4c6mrd31.jpg

Last edited:

Coconutt

Investigations are for farming specific targets (extra rewards for doing so) and eventually gems. If you're needing moster parts for building armor/weapons, investigations are usually worth it provided you can beat the conditions. You can also get stuff like increased money etc. They are limited with a number of how many times you can ACCEPT the quest. That means, if you accept it and then cancel it before you even leave town, it still counts unfortunately (unless they changed something). The ones with the smaller enemies are especially nice for grinding those parts, like the bugs. They also usually have a decent zeni reward.

Most investigations have modifiers that either make it harder or increase/decrease a certain aspect of the hunt. (shorter timer, more mining points, etc). All the info is on the investigation itself.

So I don't know how I missed this, but apparently we got confirmation on a number of returning monsters and new variants. Iceborne's gonna have Brachy apparently!

There isn't anything in stone for all of these yet, but here's what the roster is apparently shaping up as:

9ctah4c6mrd31.jpg

All the returning monsters are new to me, really want to fight Glavenus, so flipping excited for September to roll around.

Top Bottom